NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-18-2010, 08:40 PM
Carl Lamendola

Default Set Registry Should be for Card Collectors

I have sets on both set registries SGC and PSA. I know its a marketing vehicle to get cards graded, but its also an attempt to recognize people who have assemble some very nice sets or collections. Suggestion #1- I don't think that people should be recognized at least right away for simply buying someone else's cards and re-registering them in their name. There should have to add to it "substantively" some percentage or there should be a waiting period (1-2 years?). Or all your effectively doing is recognizing people who have collected money and not cards. Suggestion#2 - Auction houses should not be allowed to register sets. Or eventually they will have the best sets in all categories, as peoiple sell their collections. Like to know every ones thoughts?
Old 05-18-2010, 08:50 PM
Rob Miller

I respectfully disagree. Who is anyone to say that just because I buy someone's set, that I am not as much a collector as the next guy? Maybe I saved up money and sold many cards to be able to make such an acquisition.

As far as auction houses, I don't see anything wrong because eventually the cards will be back in a personal collection.

Rob

Last edited by Robextend; 05-18-2010 at 08:50 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:04 PM
Tim

Rob I agree with you.

Highest Rated = Highest Rated whether accumulated one card at a time or an entire set in one purchase.

Edited to add: Don't hate the player...Hate the game.

Last edited by Abravefan11; 05-18-2010 at 09:07 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:39 PM
Carl Lamendola

Isn't it just "Free" advertising for the auction house.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:45 PM

Default Jim Heffron

Carl, I agree that the collector who spends blood, sweat and tears assembling a set should be recognized over the guy who spends money only. But we know it dosen't always work that way. You have much knowledge in this hobby. Be careful who you impart that knowledge to because you could be working against yourself. Education is not free, it comes with a tuition cost!!!
Old 05-18-2010, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jheffron View Post
You have much knowledge in this hobby. Be careful who you impart that knowledge to because you could be working against yourself. Education is not free, it comes with a tuition cost!!!
Jim,

This is the complete antithesis of what this Board stands for. It is only useful because the people who participate here don't treat information as their own personal treasure to be guarded and hidden away. I find this sort of attitude to be disappointing, but I suppose it is common among lurkers - take what you can, but don't share...

Cheers,
Blair
Old 05-18-2010, 10:05 PM
Jeff

One card at a time or one hundred at a time it's the same, "collector A" has the highest graded set. I'm wary of the you're not a real collector bc you don't collect like I do mindset. Find achievement in your own satisfaction and not a "marketing vehicle."
Old 05-18-2010, 10:21 PM

Default Jim Heffron

Blair, Relax. I don't think careful=hidden away.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:36 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
One card at a time or one hundred at a time it's the same, "collector A" has the highest graded set. I'm wary of the you're not a real collector bc you don't collect like I do mindset. Find achievement in your own satisfaction and not a "marketing vehicle."
Jeff well said, everyone enjoys the hobby in his or her own way. You may not want to go bowling with everyone and that's fine. But when the dust settles if you buy cards and keep most of them then you're card collector regardless of your methods.

Cheers,

John
Old 05-18-2010, 10:45 PM
Frank Wakefield

You guys are talking about slab collectors, not card collectors.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jheffron View Post
Blair, Relax. I don't think careful=hidden away.
Right - so a caution to another poster on a public internet bulletin boad to be careful about imparting knowledge to others is not a suggestion not to post??? I thought it was pretty clear...

Cheers,
Blair
Old 05-19-2010, 06:45 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

One thing I always wondered about the registry stuff: when a card is sold or a set is sold, how do the registry people verify it? Do the auction houses that register a set change the registry for the buyer?

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 05-19-2010, 06:49 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosox Blair View Post
Right - so a caution to another poster on a public internet bulletin boad to be careful about imparting knowledge to others is not a suggestion not to post??? I thought it was pretty clear...

Cheers,
Blair
I have to mostly agree with ya' Blair. In the last few days we have seen one of the reasons I am disappointed with the way the board goes. Folks use it for ONLY their personal vendetta vehicle instead of helping with knowledge. I guess most of us regular posters can keep being the good guys and the ones that ONLY use it for their personal situation, or to gripe or whatever, can continue to be stingy. Unfortunately I can think of at least 3-5 good hobby friends that are that way. Oh well.....I guess if that makes them happy (to not share) then who are we to spoil their happiness.

btw, to the original question- I do not think Auction Houses should be able to register sets on registries. Just my opinion. It should be for collectors. An inanimate object (business) can't collect.

Last edited by Leon; 05-19-2010 at 06:59 AM.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:48 AM
Scott Mt. Joy

Adam, when a registry card/set is sold it will stay in the registry until the new owner tries to enter the card and then they will get a notice that the card is in another set and do you wish to send them an email to remove it. PSA/SGC gives them a couple days and then they will remove it for you, a few times they have asked for front and back scans to make sure you own the card.

The down side of this is when a graded card/set is sold to someone who is not a registry collector the cards can stay in the old set, I follow one exhibit set that a bunch have been sold and yet the set still shows them in it 1 year after they were sold.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:49 AM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
One thing I always wondered about the registry stuff: when a card is sold or a set is sold, how do the registry people verify it? Do the auction houses that register a set change the registry for the buyer?
If the previous owner of a registered card or set does not remove them from there set registries, PSA will remove it. PSA gives the previous owner 3 days to remove the cards. If the cards are not removed after 3 days, the new owner must provide front and back scans of his cards and PSA will then remove them. This happened with one of my '63-'64 Parkies 2 weeks ago when the seller of my card failed to remove it from his registry.

Always looking for interesting pre-war baseball & hockey postcards!
Old 05-19-2010, 07:51 AM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by smtjoy View Post
Adam, when a registry card/set is sold it will stay in the registry until the new owner tries to enter the card and then they will get a notice that the card is in another set and do you wish to send them an email to remove it. PSA/SGC gives them a couple days and then they will remove it for you, a few times they have asked for front and back scans to make sure you own the card.

The down side of this is when a graded card/set is sold to someone who is not a registry collector the cards can stay in the old set, I follow one exhibit set that a bunch have been sold and yet the set still shows them in it 1 year after they were sold.
Scott, we must have been thinking and typing at the same time!

Always looking for interesting pre-war baseball & hockey postcards!

Last edited by jb217676; 05-19-2010 at 07:52 AM.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:18 AM
marty

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWakefield View Post

i collect both, slabs and cards.. but that was funny
Old 05-19-2010, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWakefield View Post
Frank your comment got me thinking,

Would would a gem mint graded/authenticated flip from crossed over T206 Honus Wagner bring at auction? Or a complete T206 set of flips?

Last edited by drdduet; 05-19-2010 at 08:31 AM. Reason: second statement
Old 05-19-2010, 01:27 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Thanks for the info; I figured there had to be a method to it. The only time I ever did anything comparable with a registry set was when I traded "down" a card for another registry card but the other collector and me both notified SGC of the trade and made a mutual item switch. They'll do that, BTW, without the collectors having to re-enter the data, if you ask.

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 05-19-2010 at 01:29 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 02:05 PM
Mike Schulze

Default Leon & Blair...

I agree somewhat with what you're saying about contributing to the Board, especially if you've been in the hobby for awhile. I, myself, fall into the category of "newbie dumbass" and I depend on a lot of the more experienced collectors here for insight and advice. Even though I'm a lurker, I do appreciate all the knowledge and experience you guys pass around on here.

With that being said, I personally have nothing to contribute to this forum that would benefit the more experienced prewar collectors. If this were a forum about "how to divorce a crack head stripper"... then I would be the expert and I would have a lot more posts than what I do now. Until I have a few more years in the hobby, I'll stick to the old saying... "it's better to remain silent and let people believe your a dumbass than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"!!
Old 05-19-2010, 03:18 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdschulze View Post
If this were a forum about "how to divorce a crack head stripper"... then I would be the expert and I would have a lot more posts than what I do now.
OK, you can't leave that one hanging, Mike...

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 05-19-2010 at 03:18 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:43 PM
Jim VB

Quote:
If this were a forum about "how to divorce a crack head stripper"... then I would be the expert and I would have a lot more posts than what I do now.

Post of the Year candidate! Very nicely done!

Now, about registries... I have no idea how PSA works (or doesn't work), so anything I say pertains to SGC.

I did have several sets on the SGC registry (vintage basketball, not baseball.) When I decided to sell them through REA, I changed the name on the Registry to something like "REA Spring 2010, 1957 Topps Basketball Set." I did this, not REA. Was it advertising? Of course, but it was designed to market my sets. It was to alert other SGC Registry guys that these sets were coming to market in a few months. About a month before the auction, Brian noticed that several other people had done the same thing, with slight differences in how we named the sets. He offered to standardize them, and basically, turn control of these sets over to REA, if I wanted to. We checked with REA and they were fine with this. The subsequent owner/winning bidder will be able to do the same thing.

My motives were to maximize the sale price of the sets.
REA was not involved in this, at all, until the very end. They had no part in it and didn't really stand to benefit at all.
SGC was involved only to make it better for both me, and the next owner. They gained nothing else.

I consider myself a collector, first and foremost. Outside of that, I don't understand this thread at all. Whoever currently owns my set will either keep it together, and change the name if they want to, or will break it up, in which case, I guess SGC should delist it. But I certainly don't see this as one of the hobby's problems.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:49 PM
Jeff

"I consider myself a collector, first and foremost. Outside of that, I don't understand this thread at all. Whoever currently owns my set will either keep it together, and change the name if they want to, or will break it up, in which case, I guess SGC should delist it. But I certainly don't see this as one of the hobby's problems." AGREED!

Whether you bought a set because you have collected money (whatever that means) or added to cards you had as a child or built it one card at a time from scratch, at the end of the day all three ways produce a set. Why should the registry look at any of these any differently. Non-issue.

Last edited by HRBAKER; 05-19-2010 at 06:37 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:52 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default clarification

Quote:
I agree somewhat with what you're saying about contributing to the Board, especially if you've been in the hobby for awhile. I, myself, fall into the category of "newbie dumbass" and I depend on a lot of the more experienced collectors here for insight and advice. Even though I'm a lurker, I do appreciate all the knowledge and experience you guys pass around on here.

With that being said, I personally have nothing to contribute to this forum that would benefit the more experienced prewar collectors. If this were a forum about "how to divorce a crack head stripper"... then I would be the expert and I would have a lot more posts than what I do now. Until I have a few more years in the hobby, I'll stick to the old saying... "it's better to remain silent and let people believe your a dumbass than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"!!
Mike - My comments have nothing at all to do with newbie collectors. Newbies should read and absorb and chime in when they feel comfortable. I was talking about some friends who have been doing this for 15+ years (some for 30+) and only contribute when they want to bitch about not being paid by Mastro, bitch about grading or bitch just to bitch (and saying they will never dispel information as it will cost them money). Those are my least favorite board members but are still friends otherwise. Lurking is one of the best ways to learn. I guess not everyone likes to help others and give back to the hobby. (again, I am talking of experienced collectors) best regards
Old 05-19-2010, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Mike,

Thanks for the laugh - that line is absolutely classic!!!

Cheers,
Blair