NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-06-2019, 07:07 AM

Default Question of the members who frame and display their memorabilia...

Hey guys, quick question for the members who like to collect and frame/display their items in a basement/sports room. I just collected all the Detroit Tigers from the B18 Tobacco Felts series. There's 9 of them and I thought mounting/framing them might look cool along with all the other old items I have already framed. Problem is, if all 9 were put into a single frame, it would be rather large.

Do any of you have similar items that you have framed or displayed? If so could I see your pieces? If you don't have anything framed but you have a good idea, I'd love to hear your ideas also! Thanks so much, appreciate this boards depth of knowledge and creativity.
Old 05-06-2019, 08:32 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

I went for 9 with all different color combos. I think it came out pretty nice. If I remember correctly, its 18" x 18".....big, but certainly not huge by any stretch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1 (1).jpg (70.2 KB, 448 views)

Last edited by conor912; 05-06-2019 at 08:33 AM.
Old 05-06-2019, 08:57 AM
Chris Counts

My first thought is how great nine blankets from the same team would look if laid out in the shape of a diamond. If it was eight or ten, it wouldn't work, but nine is the prefect number.

I looked at the Tigers checklist, and it's really an odd assortment of players. The only pitcher included is Harry Coveleski, who was in the minors in 1913, but who unexpectedly emerged as a star in 1914. So the blankets must have come out well into the season. But that doesn't explain why there are two players who were only in one game each in early 1914 before they were traded. And many of the team's stars are missing, like Sam Crawford.

As for your display, I have two displays of baseball silks, and I'm always concerned about light fading them, so I keep the room dark most of the time, and I paid for the right kind of glass that minimizes fading. So far, I haven't had a problem, but I believe blankets are particularly vulnerable to light — I've seen some very faded blankets over the years.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:14 AM

Nine blankets in the diamond pattern looks great, IMO. Have seen a number of such displays.
Old 05-07-2019, 08:58 AM
Hank Thomas

Default A perfect diamond

Here is my display of Senators B-18s. I had a nice WaJo already, then about 20 years ago David Festberg(!) auctioned off his collection of commons he told me later was the result of years of upgrading. I got the 8 Washington commons for almost nothing, and couldn't believe the condition. I think it's the only time I've ever called a dealer to tell him how surprised and happy I was with the condition of a piece. I like to display my treasures, and when I laid them out trying to figure out how, to my amazement they together formed a diamond with each player in his correct position. This Washington club stayed intact for four years and was Clark Griffith's first great club in D.C., finishing second in 1912 and 1913 and in the first division all four years. This is one of my very favorite pieces, mounted by my framer with archival tape, of course, and always draws the eyes and comments of visitors to my collection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_0495 (640x480).jpg (40.0 KB, 346 views)
Old 05-07-2019, 09:14 AM
Hank Thomas

Closeup of above
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_0354.jpg (74.0 KB, 340 views)
Old 05-07-2019, 09:23 AM
qualitycards

Conor & Hank those B18 displays look fantastic
Old 05-07-2019, 09:28 AM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post
I went for 9 with all different color combos. I think it came out pretty nice. If I remember correctly, its 18" x 18".....big, but certainly not huge by any stretch.
I love this, with all the variations. Are these all the known color schemes, were there nine of them exactly? And I've always wondered if the players on the other teams were selected to try to represent each team's starting lineup that season, as certainly seems to be the case with the Washington B-18s. I've always thought these colorful and artistic felts to be the unwanted but beautiful stepchild of the hobby, just waiting for the right moment to come into their full glory and appreciation. Truly mint examples with full and intact borders and no staining are very hard to find. The fold lines don't bother me at all since they are unobtrusive and original to the method of packaging.
Old 05-07-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Wow is that pretty. I love the colors! As for the other 2 examples, that is exactly what I was hoping to see.....these are a great idea and I have my direction thanks to you guys. I love it and will post a pic when I get this completed....eventually!
Old 05-07-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Counts View Post
My first thought is how great nine blankets from the same team would look if laid out in the shape of a diamond. If it was eight or ten, it wouldn't work, but nine is the prefect number.

I looked at the Tigers checklist, and it's really an odd assortment of players. The only pitcher included is Harry Coveleski, who was in the minors in 1913, but who unexpectedly emerged as a star in 1914. So the blankets must have come out well into the season. But that doesn't explain why there are two players who were only in one game each in early 1914 before they were traded. And many of the team's stars are missing, like Sam Crawford.

As for your display, I have two displays of baseball silks, and I'm always concerned about light fading them, so I keep the room dark most of the time, and I paid for the right kind of glass that minimizes fading. So far, I haven't had a problem, but I believe blankets are particularly vulnerable to light — I've seen some very faded blankets over the years.
I'd love to see how you framed your silks.....any and all ideas for future reference is appreciated. Plus it's cool to see what other have on this board. All items I have framed are purchased with UV glass and always acid free backing/matting. My room is a basement with one small frosted glass window, so no sun thank God!
Old 05-07-2019, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankphenom View Post
Here is my display of Senators B-18s. I had a nice WaJo already, then about 20 years ago David Festberg(!) auctioned off his collection of commons he told me later was the result of years of upgrading. I got the 8 Washington commons for almost nothing, and couldn't believe the condition. I think it's the only time I've ever called a dealer to tell him how surprised and happy I was with the condition of a piece. I like to display my treasures, and when I laid them out trying to figure out how, to my amazement they together formed a diamond with each player in his correct position. This Washington club stayed intact for four years and was Clark Griffith's first great club in D.C., finishing second in 1912 and 1913 and in the first division all four years. This is one of my very favorite pieces, mounted by my framer with archival tape, of course, and always draws the eyes and comments of visitors to my collection.
Love it! That's what I'm going for! Thanks again
Old 05-08-2019, 05:56 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shackmsu View Post
Love it! That's what I'm going for! Thanks again
Let us know when you are done, would love to see it. The B-18 displays look really great. I have only had one thing framed and it is a large Horner Composite photo which now hangs on my office wall.
Old 05-08-2019, 11:33 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankphenom View Post
I love this, with all the variations. Are these all the known color schemes, were there nine of them exactly?
Thanks, Hank. I did this a while back, but if memory serves me, I'm pretty sure there are more combos. The ones with yellow seem to be the hardest to find, and I vaguely remember another yellow version. I love this issue when displayed. They never seem right in a top loader
Old 05-08-2019, 11:36 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shackmsu View Post
I'd love to see how you framed your silks.....any and all ideas for future reference is appreciated.
I've seen some get taped in, others get carefully sewn in. I actually used fabric as the backdrop and then just used tension to hold them up against the glass. I would never do that with a card or photo, but with cloth I don't see any harm in it.
Old 05-09-2019, 06:52 AM

Quote:
I've seen some get taped in, others get carefully sewn in. I actually used fabric as the backdrop and then just used tension to hold them up against the glass. I would never do that with a card or photo, but with cloth I don't see any harm in it.
Thanks for the advice. Will look into this, I've got a great framer who is up on how to adhere items to a backing without ruining the integrity of the piece.
Old 05-09-2019, 07:56 AM
J0hn Collin$

Whenever I see things framed like this, I cringe at the thought of light damage. I know there are ways around it, for example plexiglass or composite blocks 99% of UV rays. What I don't know, is if the protection lasts forever or if you would need to replace the glass substitute every serveral years over time. I know some of the one-screw cases say they protect UV rays, but for only 3 years or something. So guessing it does not last forever. There are also steps you can take to not use flourescent lighting, etc. To me this is all too much - which is why most of my collection lives in a dark closet and comes out only briefly for me to gawk at. ;-)

Last edited by jchcollins; 05-09-2019 at 07:58 AM.
Old 05-09-2019, 09:25 AM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
Whenever I see things framed like this, I cringe at the thought of light damage. I know there are ways around it, for example plexiglass or composite blocks 99% of UV rays. What I don't know, is if the protection lasts forever or if you would need to replace the glass substitute every serveral years over time. I know some of the one-screw cases say they protect UV rays, but for only 3 years or something. So guessing it does not last forever. There are also steps you can take to not use flourescent lighting, etc. To me this is all too much - which is why most of my collection lives in a dark closet and comes out only briefly for me to gawk at. ;-)
I would never expose autographs or valuable cards to any kind of light for any length of time, and direct sunlight will fade anything, but for most kinds of display pieces, it's been my experience that you can frame them with regular clear glass and put them on a wall in a room with normal artificial lighting, minimal sunlight, and controlled heat and you will not live long enough to be able to spot any fading or other deterioration with your bare eyes. I've had my B-18s on a wall in my office for 25 years, and I doubt there's an instrument that could measure whatever miniscule loss of color or vibrancy has taken place in that time. I would say the same about the many vintage photos, posters, and other items I've had on my walls for decades now. If there's been any degeneration in any of them, my eyes aren't good enough to see it. I like to look at my stuff, and I think if you use common sense and keep them away from any light from windows and other sources of light or heat in your rooms, you can do that without worrying about damage to your treasures. In fact, whenever I get something matted and framed I like to think I am protecting it from the air that is the natural enemy of anything made out of paper or cloth.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:23 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
My display is in a room that is close to pitch black 23 hours a day. And even if it is fading, I doubt it's fading faster than my eyes' ability to perceive it. If I owned a Picasso, I'd hang it on a wall. Don't let stress get in the way enjoying something.
Old 05-09-2019, 11:11 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
My display is in a room that is close to pitch black 23 hours a day. And even if it is fading, I doubt it's fading faster than my eyes' ability to perceive it. If I owned a Picasso, I'd hang it on a wall. Don't let stress get in the way enjoying something.
I don't. I still sometimes even take cards to work with me like I took cards to school as a kid. There are always quick ways to draw on some hobby enjoyment. This site is another major one for me.
Old 05-09-2019, 12:39 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Thanks, Hank. I did this a while back, but if memory serves me, I'm pretty sure there are more combos. The ones with yellow seem to be the hardest to find, and I vaguely remember another yellow version. I love this issue when displayed. They never seem right in a top loader
Yes, and difficult to get into an appropriate sized top loader, also. I'm sure that's why they have never been slabbed to my knowledge. On the color schemes, if I'd thought about it for a minute I'd have remembered that another one is the "brown pennants" variation for Washington, which in all other respects, including the players represented (the starting lineup of nine), is exactly the same as my framed examples with the exception of brown and red graphics rather than the green and red. Makes me wonder if anyone has tried to compile a checklist of all the known variations in the issue.
Old 05-11-2019, 07:07 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
That's a great display! I like the color variations
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo