NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 07-13-2021, 07:58 AM
The Uber Anal Retentive Freak

This also seems to be the same maker, there are a few of these “wide scroll” pennants (Yankees, Brooklyn) right around 1949-51. I know it’s not proof, but the scroll itself and font is radically different from the known scroll design of Trench. Don’t know of any other teams. It’s why I suspect a NYC area company.

Anyway, I find this interesting and appreciate your feedback!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 68E0F7FA-6EE8-48B9-A932-25C8D262C35A.jpg (21.6 KB, 309 views)

Last edited by thetahat; 07-13-2021 at 08:14 AM.
Old 07-13-2021, 09:48 AM
Hank Thomas

You guys are amazing! Love looking at these wonderful pennants you keep coming up with.
Old 07-13-2021, 10:16 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetahat View Post
This also seems to be the same maker, there are a few of these “wide scroll” pennants (Yankees, Brooklyn) right around 1949-51. I know it’s not proof, but the scroll itself and font is radically different from the known scroll design of Trench. Don’t know of any other teams. It’s why I suspect a NYC area company.

Completely agree....

There's a mystery maker (still unidentified) who's responsible for these particular oddballs.
Old 07-13-2021, 12:35 PM

I appreciate your skepticism. I think the problem is the 1950 Whiz Kids pennant represents the tail end of a series Trench used for more than a decade, beginning in the early 1940s. As one would expect, pennants from this series will differ from those of the next generation.

Yours is right on the cusp of that transition from the old style to the new. Accordingly, it lacks some of the distinctive Trench characteristics we’ve come to associate with their 1950s and even 1960s offerings.

But, IMHO, that doesn’t mean it’s not by Trench. I’ve studies the old series and identified numerous instances where the supporting text (e.g., “N.Y. Yankees”) was reused on a different style pennant featuring known Trench artwork. That’s how I first made the connection.

If you apply the same logic as above, we shouldn’t be surprised to learn Trench made these. Trench was always considered an innovative company. There were even less pennant makers using polychromatic designs in the 1940s. This colorful design distinguished them from their competition; nearly all of whom were making monochrome pennants. Eventually, by the 1950s, other makers began making limited two-color pennants … but they were behind the times. In response, by the 1950s, Trench began offering team-specific pennants featuring unique artwork. We see this, for example, in their stadium pennant series. Again, nobody else was doing anything like this. Others eventually copied it … but it took some time. By the 1960s, they begin offering photo pennants, yet another innovative success that launched them ahead of their competition.

So your Whiz Kids pennant, in my eye, just happens to have been made during the transition from the old to the new style. That’s probably why it doesn’t look right, to you. But, that style, 10 years earlier, would have been cutting edge.

And, that means Trench likely made it, in my view.
Old 07-13-2021, 12:47 PM

Quote:

No disagreement here. I think this wide scroll pennant was made by AMCO, A Brooklyn based pennant maker.
Old 07-13-2021, 05:51 PM

This pennant just sold in Hunt Auctions … the pennant is legit and the leather batter graphic varies a bit in these pennants … but this one looks strange to me compared to the one I have …

I’d love to know more details about these. Perhaps the first known “series” of similar style pennants made for different teams. My guess is pre-1910, before silk screening went commercial. The leather batter allowed for burning in detail that couldn’t be duplicated with sewn on graphics. I have three of these and they are all different sizes.

Last edited by thetahat; 07-13-2021 at 05:57 PM.
Old 07-13-2021, 08:09 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by todeen View Post
Reds fan here, great job on a cool pennant. I never thought of cleaning a pennant. How did you do it?
In a nutshell....hang vertically, use painter’s tape to both nang and protect the spine (I tape mine to the shower wall), spray with a bleach solution, rinse rapidly and completely with clear water.

I would start with maybe a 25% bleach solution. Caution: red can be a tricky color. Other ink colors are usually unaffected but I ruined a valuable pennant with red ink. Plenty of discussion and examples in this thread.
Old 07-13-2021, 10:25 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
This pennant just sold in Hunt Auctions … the pennant is legit and the leather batter graphic varies a bit in these pennants … but this one looks strange to me compared to the one I have …

I’d love to know more details about these. Perhaps the first known “series” of similar style pennants made for different teams. My guess is pre-1910, before silk screening went commercial. The leather batter allowed for burning in detail that couldn’t be duplicated with sewn on graphics. I have three of these and they are all different sizes.
That's a super long one. It used to be mine, and re-surfaced in Hunts which closed today. The Batter looks like he had a little adhesive work done at some point, to overcome some loosened stitching. The outer cut of the die-cut Batter looks the same as yours. But the inner detail is much clearer on yours. Perhaps this is due to 100+ years of surface wear on the Hunt example, and perhaps yours was just burned in deeper by the "artist".

I suppose no two are exactly the same.... pretty cool. As I recall, the front of the Hunt's White Sox example faded nicely to an attractive baby blue. The reverse (unexposed) side was a darker navy blue. Great stuff!

Last edited by perezfan; 07-13-2021 at 10:27 PM.
Old 07-14-2021, 05:25 AM
Rob

The batter on the Hunt’s pennant appears to have had shoulder surgery.
Old 07-14-2021, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
That's a super long one. It used to be mine, and re-surfaced in Hunts which closed today. The Batter looks like he had a little adhesive work done at some point, to overcome some loosened stitching. The outer cut of the die-cut Batter looks the same as yours. But the inner detail is much clearer on yours. Perhaps this is due to 100+ years of surface wear on the Hunt example, and perhaps yours was just burned in deeper by the "artist".

I suppose no two are exactly the same.... pretty cool. As I recall, the front of the Hunt's White Sox example faded nicely to an attractive baby blue. The reverse (unexposed) side was a darker navy blue. Great stuff!
Interesting! Moths love these pennants as much as I do …
Old 07-14-2021, 04:49 PM
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
The batter on the Hunt’s pennant appears to have had shoulder surgery.
The Hunt catalog for this one said "The batter, while appearing to be period/original, has been restored/restitched in a few areas. "

I wonder if that accounts for some of the differences.
Old 07-15-2021, 08:08 AM

Regarding WGN I do believe that they made pennants in the 1940s with tassels. Here are some examples which I think fit their style, they have tassels that match the body. The Browns pennant has a sister Cardinals version, and I’ve seen dated Tigers pennants from the mid 40s that are similar. It was around 1950 when they seem to have ditched tassels.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D44EC343-748E-43F5-89AA-E6DAEE54CFAD.jpg (21.8 KB, 270 views)
File Type: jpg 7031FD3F-0BC8-489F-8DD7-A5AF76313F8C.jpg (22.1 KB, 266 views)
File Type: jpg 0DC585C5-596A-4358-9572-2157C8CDB986.jpg (23.4 KB, 267 views)

Last edited by thetahat; 07-15-2021 at 08:09 AM.
Old 07-15-2021, 08:15 AM

I suspect this is also WGN based on the font of the name … Johnny is still alive, maybe we can ask him?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 648EDEE8-330B-4831-87AD-3802E02AC01A.jpg (21.0 KB, 264 views)
Old 07-15-2021, 10:46 AM

Super-psyched about this pennant thst came today, another WGN, I’ve seen it only once before. This one is about mint, interestingly a bit small, 10.5” wide and a tick under 27” long. This is likely around 1951-52, since Minnie was still going by his real name, at least on baseball cards. Minnie was a cool player, too …
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DEDBE856-E40E-455B-AE22-9B2C2A29216F.jpg (14.6 KB, 257 views)
File Type: jpg C837ABC6-3985-4F84-A5D7-86DC6A47C163.jpg (20.7 KB, 259 views)

Last edited by thetahat; 07-15-2021 at 10:50 AM.
Old 07-15-2021, 10:59 AM
Marc

That's a cool pennant Greg. Nice!
Old 07-15-2021, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocca001 View Post
That's a cool pennant Greg. Nice!
Thanks Marc!
Old 07-15-2021, 05:24 PM
Mike Kendall

Quote:
Super-psyched about this pennant thst came today, another WGN, I’ve seen it only once before. This one is about mint, interestingly a bit small, 10.5” wide and a tick under 27” long. This is likely around 1951-52, since Minnie was still going by his real name, at least on baseball cards. Minnie was a cool player, too …
That’s a great pennant. Think how much a companion Ernie Banks would bring.
Baseball's appeal isn't complicated or confusing. It's about the beauty of the game; it's about heroes and family and friends; it's about being part of something larger than yourself, about tradition---receiving it and passing it; and it's about holding on to a bit of your childhood.

Tom Stanton from The Road to Cooperstown
Old 07-15-2021, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK View Post
That’s a great pennant. Think how much a companion Ernie Banks would bring.
That would be an awesome find. This was a Chicago company and they made multiple variations of Cubs and Sox, so maybe!
Old 07-15-2021, 06:24 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Congrats to all who’ve contributed here, including our deceased and beloved compadre Mike Hoevet…

Leon please confirm, but I believe this is the first and only net54 thread to receive over one million views!

And many thanks to Baseball Rob for starting this great thread!

Last edited by perezfan; 07-15-2021 at 08:02 PM.
Old 07-16-2021, 05:39 AM
Rob

Quote:

And many thanks to Baseball Rob for starting this great thread!
Aw, shucks.

Just the new guy trying to gain acceptance. I started it 16 days after I joined Net54. I have learned a lot from you guys and seen some incredible pennants.

Onward and upward!
Old 07-17-2021, 06:40 PM

Very cool WGN Negro league ASG pennant just sold, anyone grab it?
Old 07-17-2021, 11:47 PM
Erik

Quote:
Reds fan here, great job on a cool pennant. I never thought of cleaning a pennant. How did you do it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I believe baseball Rob posted the method a while back - although I don’t know the post number.

The process is basically staying the pennant with water, bleach and then water again. I will try to look for the original post as it gives good instructions. It’s important to keep the bleach away from the tassels and spine.

Rob, do you have the original post handy?
Old 07-18-2021, 09:13 AM
chris

Default Let's see those banners!

Thought I'd play the B side this morning...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210718_111224.jpg (77.9 KB, 193 views)
Old 07-18-2021, 10:22 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpus Jones View Post
That’s B yootiful!
Old 07-18-2021, 10:22 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikc21 View Post

Rob, do you have the original post handy?
I don’t.
Old 07-18-2021, 11:41 AM
Erik

Quote:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Here is a paraphrased set of instructions I use.

The process involved taking a spray bottle filled with water to saturate the pennant. After wet, take another spray bottle with bleach and spray on the fabric. Let it stand for a few minutes and then take the water sprayer and thoroughly spray until water has washed out the bleach. I usually dry by having a towel on the floor and another on top and dap the pennant. Then air dry. After it’s dry you can lightly iron the back of the pennant quickly and not too high of a setting as not to melt any graphics. Remember to tape the spine and tassels with multiple layers and don’t spray bleach close to the spine to to avoid bleeding.

Others may have slightly different processes.
Old 07-18-2021, 12:26 PM
Gary

I asked similar question back in March. Rob was helpful enough to repost the instructions on post #4384 with photos.

https://www.net54baseball.com/showpo...postcount=4384

There's also been a few people on the boards who are a fan of Retro Clean to wash pennants without bleaching them. I tried Retro Clean recently and it did a pretty good job.
Old 07-18-2021, 02:21 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Chris,
That banner and the buttons are sweeeeeet
Old 07-18-2021, 04:10 PM
chris

Thanks, Rob and Jason.
Old 07-19-2021, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpus Jones View Post
Yo Chris great to hear from you and WOW … stunning! I doubt many of those were made and for one to survive in such nice condition? Great find!

Last edited by thetahat; 07-19-2021 at 09:42 AM.
Old 07-19-2021, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKCardGuy View Post
I asked similar question back in March. Rob was helpful enough to repost the instructions on post #4384 with photos.

https://www.net54baseball.com/showpo...postcount=4384

There's also been a few people on the boards who are a fan of Retro Clean to wash pennants without bleaching them. I tried Retro Clean recently and it did a pretty good job.
Retro Clean works especially good on white cloth Trench and ASCO pennants. They seemingly don’t have inks that run. I’ve had some fantastic results with some pennants I bought early in my collecting days that got stashed away. But I had a cheaper knock off Phillies pennant that ran.

Now the spine and tassels will run and so that’s where some diluted bleach is needed to clean that up. It helps to run a dowel through the spine.

I even had a blue Phillies blue Jay pennant that I got cheap because it was filthy, looked like it was used as an oil rag. For the heck of it I tried RC and the results were great.

Last edited by thetahat; 07-19-2021 at 09:52 AM.
Old 07-19-2021, 07:55 PM

Great '61 World Series banner Chris!

Picked up a few pennants at an estate sale this weekend -- always glad to find vintage baseball out in the wild.

Greg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail-8.jpg (15.1 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail-7.jpg (17.1 KB, 163 views)
Old 07-19-2021, 09:46 PM
chris

Thanks, Greg! Wish we had estate sales like that here.

Last edited by Bumpus Jones; 07-20-2021 at 02:54 PM.
Old 07-20-2021, 01:54 PM

Well at least this comes from a smoke free home …
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6C5818A6-36AE-4D4B-B2A1-417D181CF9CF.jpg (15.7 KB, 150 views)
Old 07-20-2021, 03:01 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:
Please.....at that price....and in Colorado.......oh they're smokin' something.
Old 07-20-2021, 04:44 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Thanks a lot for outing that one

I had my snipe set, cleared a spot on the wall, and everything! Now the whole world knows about it. Not cool!
Old 07-20-2021, 05:39 PM

Quote:

I had my snipe set, cleared a spot on the wall, and everything! Now the whole world knows about it. Not cool!
LOL … a teeny tiny spot on the wall!
Old 07-20-2021, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
Please.....at that price....and in Colorado.......oh they're smokin' something.
Yes indeed!
Old 07-21-2021, 05:24 AM
Rob

Quote:

Better jump on the Buy it Now!
Old 07-21-2021, 09:37 AM

Well someone got duped … late 1990s repro sold by Mitchell and Ness. In fact my pennant collecting started with a purchase of their reprise and this was one of them… I don’t know of a full-size vintage Orioles pennant with that logo in color.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0159A3BB-A792-435D-8665-D3107F7DD542.jpg (11.4 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg 13851D32-294E-4DBF-BFBC-9F1740C706EE.jpg (20.7 KB, 126 views)
Old 07-21-2021, 02:52 PM

Picked this up, had been looking for this for some time, a WGN ‘54 Indians
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B4DC79C9-970C-411F-9CFC-335BC7498AE6.jpg (20.5 KB, 165 views)
Old 07-21-2021, 02:55 PM

Domer … remember that other ‘54 Indians we discussed a few days ago? These rectangular “pennants” seem to be from the same maker. It’s pretty much a certainty. Curious, do you still think these are Trench?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3EF1F8D6-B59F-4700-BDA9-A03C8194289E.jpg (21.9 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg 405A239B-E63B-4209-82E9-38067845C274.jpg (14.9 KB, 162 views)

Last edited by thetahat; 07-21-2021 at 04:44 PM.
Old 07-21-2021, 10:34 PM

Good observation. Well ... I never thought of that banner (or the similar Dodgers and Yankees versions) as being a strong candidate for Trench; but, I certainly couldn't rule them out. They do look alike, don't they?

Unfortunately, these banners were all made pre-1957, which is about when Tom Storm's father purchased Trench. When I last spoke with Mr. Storm, he could not recall ever making banners (or, "rectangular pennants); but he wasn't really involved in the company until the early 1960s, well after these were made.

Whoever did make these banners, I believe they only made them for the league champions in '52 , '53, and '54, correct? Are there others? I can't recall ever seeing a '54 N.Y. Giants banner that complements this Indians one. But if one was made ... I know two guys who'll know

Here's the only vintage photograph I know of showing a banner like this: https://pennantfever.weebly.com/who-we-are.html

This photo was taken in the center field bleachers at Yankee Stadium during the '53 World Series. I believe there's ample evidence that Yankee Stadium, in the mid-1950s, was a Sport Service ballpark. If so, that makes it more likely this banner was supplied to them by Trench.
Old 07-21-2021, 11:02 PM
Rob

Curious to get thoughts on this one which just ended tonight for $2300 (plus $5.70 for standard shipping )

Orig 1911 VANDERBILT CUP AUTO RACE Souvenir PENNANT 34" Savannah Georgia

https://ebay.us/qOXEAH

It seems way off to me (despite the sellers guaranteed authenticity). It's very white for 110 years old. Also interesting, it looks nothing like 1910 or 1912 Vanderbilt Cup pennants, neither of which has sewn on letters or images. In fact there is another 1911 Cup pennant that does closely resemble the 1910 and 1912 pennants (and it sold for $5700+ on ebay about 10 years ago). No pin holes seems unlikely as well. Lastly, the image of the car in tonights auction shows only a single driver, while all other pennants have two in the car. I don't know enough about the race or these pennants to know for sure but I see enough red flags that I wouldn't have bid on it. Also below are the other 1910 thru 1912 Vanderbilt Cup pennants...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vanderbilt Cup Pennant 1910.jpg (6.5 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg Vanderbilt Cup Pennant 1911.jpg (24.7 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg Vanderbilt Cup Pennant 1912.jpg (18.0 KB, 160 views)
Old 07-22-2021, 08:21 AM
Bobw

Default Casey Stengel w/ 1953 Banner

From Getty...

Last edited by bobw; 07-22-2021 at 08:22 AM.
Old 07-22-2021, 09:42 AM
Gary

Default New arrivals

A couple of new arrivals today.

Catalog refs: NYG032-TREN and NYYK053-TBC

Not the rarest items but I was happy to pick them up in good condition at a good price.

Any ideas about the manufacturer of the Yankees pennant?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210722_133025.jpg (77.3 KB, 158 views)
Old 07-22-2021, 09:55 AM
Rob

Quote:
A couple of new arrivals today.

Catalog refs: NYG032-TREN and NYYK053-TBC

Not the rarest items but I was happy to pick them up in good condition at a good price.

Any ideas about the manufacturer of the Yankees pennant?
Yankees looks like a modern creation? Looks stiff and has creases.
Old 07-22-2021, 12:23 PM
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
Yankees looks like a modern creation? Looks stiff and has creases.
Hi Rob, it is a stiffer variety pennant. But it seems consistent with others that I have from the 1960s. I've taken a couple of close up photos.

I'm open to opinions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210722_191631.jpg (78.8 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg 20210722_191612.jpg (80.7 KB, 155 views)
Old 07-22-2021, 01:45 PM
Rob

Quote:
Hi Rob, it is a stiffer variety pennant. But it seems consistent with others that I have from the 1960s. I've taken a couple of close up photos.

I'm open to opinions.
Yeah...Looks like it could be 60s up close. Egner's book labels it 1950s, which would imply soft material. The book is probably just off a decade....or perhaps the material changed over time from the 50s to the 60s.

Last edited by Fballguy; 07-22-2021 at 01:46 PM.
Old 07-22-2021, 02:42 PM
Rob

The Yankees pennant looks good to me. Couldn’t tell you who made it.