NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-22-2007, 05:01 PM
Administrator

Default O/T comic book grading?

Posted By: joe

Anyone know anything about getting Comic books graded? Is it worth it, a gigantic price increase, like cards? These will all be sold.

Joe

Ty Cobb, Spikes flying!

Old 10-22-2007, 05:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

Interestingly enough the comic book graders will "slab" the books and give a grade but then give a different color to the label if alterations or restoration have occurred (green) or a page is missing or a coupon cut out (purple) as opposed to the blue labels if everything is ok. They also spell out any problem on the label. Their code reminds me a lot of the PSA MC, PSA MK grades. With regard to restoration they seem to lump a tiny color touch in with the most major restoration.
Note- I think I have the colors correct, it's been quite a while since I was involved in the comics.

Old 10-22-2007, 06:38 PM
Administrator

Thanks Bob, none of these comics would be altered, or restored. Nothing prior to 1960, but there are some worth some money. I have to sell these for a relative because of a death in the family. I am leaning towards selling on EBAY without getting them graded. Some older ones have some wear, but quite a few in nr-mt condition. Most were read once or not read at all and bagged. Approximately 2000 comics.

Joe

Ty Cobb, Spikes flying!

Old 10-22-2007, 07:08 PM
Administrator

Joe- Just a suggestion, if you have some books from the silver age (late 50's and 60's) that are in great shape you might try getting them graded as they seem to sell for a lot, especially early Marvels. I have seen seemingly "common" comics sell for a huge amount if they can get a very fine to near mint grade; otherwise, check ebay to see what similar books have sold for and make clear scans showing book edges. I always used front and back scans and on the more expensive books used a scan of the front page and back of the front cover.
Good luck!
Bob

Old 10-22-2007, 07:14 PM
Administrator

Yes Bob, that's what I thought too. There are quite a few Marvel comics. I have been checking ebay on some of those.

Joe

Ty Cobb, Spikes flying!

Old 10-22-2007, 09:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: James Gallo

I have extensive comic knowledge if you want some help LMK.

I can skim through a list and let you know about anything that might be worth grading.
Comics will get a huge price increase in high grades just like cards.

James G

Looking for 1915 Cracker Jacks and 1909-11 American Caramel E90-1.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David R

Joe,
I've been contemplating the same question as I also have some comics from the 40s, 50s, and 60s. From what I can tell the cost of grading seems very high -- maybe $100 per comic -- which seemed like a lot unless the comics are very valuable. Anyone have any rules of thumb about when it makes sense?

David

Old 10-22-2007, 11:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jerry Hrechka

The main comic grading co. is CGC - Comic Guaranty Corp. They are part of the company that includes SGC. There web site is www.cgccomics.com - I collect comics so I visit their forums frequently.I believe that the lowest grading fee for comics is $21.00.
Grading comics is vastly more complicated than grading cards. Cards are basicaly 2 dimensional with a very small third dimension - the thickness/edges. Comics have many pages where a small imperfection on any of the pages drastically reduces the grade.Just try to verify the grade on a slabbed comic where the interior can not be examined.
If you have trouble differentiaing between a 8,9 or 10 - just try seeing the difference between a 9.4, 9.6, 9.8, 9.9 or a 10 in comic grades.
I collect low graded "Reading Copies" that would be lucky to grade a 3 on a good day. I don't like slabbed comics since you cann't read them.

Old 10-23-2007, 12:00 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jerry Hrechka

Just for fun I thought I'd post a scan of one of my favorite comics - the second silver age appearance of Captain America:

Old 10-23-2007, 01:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: anthony

if they are worth money definitely try to get them graded or sell them elsewhere than ebay. from my experience of selling comics on ebay is that you never get anywhere near what they are worth unless they are graded. i sold a $100 comic for $20 once because it wasnt graded, and it would of graded 7.5 or higher which probably would of fetched over the $100 according to past sales of the same comic...just my 2 cents

Old 10-23-2007, 05:10 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Jerry- very nice comic. Wish I saved my Fantastic Four #1 that I bought when it came out

Old 10-23-2007, 08:46 AM
Administrator

Thanks for the input, besides ebay and comic book shops where would you sell these. Auction House? James, thanks for the offer, once I get a list I will try to get to you.

Here are some titles
Spiderman
Captain America
Daredevil
Ironman
Incredible Hulk
Thor
The Avengers
Sub-Mmariner
Conan
Fantastic Four
Misc marvel and others.

Thanks joe

Ty Cobb, Spikes flying!

Old 10-23-2007, 09:10 AM
Administrator

Posted By: anthony

joe, check the internet for the national comic convention...it was in san diego about a month ago and its huge, dealers and freeks that dress up for 5 days...can you imagine dressing up like cap anson or babe ruth to go to the nationals for baseball cards?

Old 10-23-2007, 11:06 AM
Administrator

I stumbled across Heritage Auctions one day while checking out sites for caramel cards and they appear to be the place to go for comic books.

Old 10-23-2007, 11:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycle

As Bob alluded to, if you are unfamiliar with the material you can consign them. I don't follow comics or comic prices, but notice that most of the big sports auction houses offer them.

You can also sell 2-3 on eBay, see how it goes and decide what to do with the rest after.

Old 10-23-2007, 11:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: James Gallo

I wouldn't really go with the Baseball auction houses as they will group stuff together and it won't sell for much. There are a few things you need to do.

Determine the era of the comics 40's, 50's, 60's 70's later. Most of the stuff from the mid 1980s through the 1990s is almost worthless even graded. There are a few exceptions but maybe 1/100.

Once you have an era you should make a list. It is good to have if you want to offer it to dealers but is also a good reference for insurance, and keeping track of what you have and have sold.

The you will need to look at condition. As stated above there is a huge difference between a 9.2 and a 9.6 and you likely won't be able to see it.

Your best titles are Amazing Spiderman, X-men, Batman, Superman and Fantastic Four.

Joe once you have a list send it my way and I can go over it and LYK what might be worth grading.

Depending on how many comics you have a local auction might be your best bet as they might split it up more and do better with it then a large auction house.

James G

Looking for 1915 Cracker Jacks and 1909-11 American Caramel E90-1.