NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-06-2018, 08:28 AM
Fred

Default Altering vs cleaning

This has probably been discussed a few times already....

At what point is "cleaning" a card not considered "altering" a card.

For example, would it be considered altering a card if you can use water and a towel to clean off obvious smudges of dirt or other surface crud? At what point do you consider "cleaning" to be unacceptable?

Obviously, filling/adding in color (for example the back of an N300) is not acceptable. Filling a hole or adding paper is not acceptable.

"Bleaching" is not acceptable, or at least I don't think it is.

Any comments?

Last edited by Fred; 04-06-2018 at 08:29 AM.
Old 04-06-2018, 08:55 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Everyone has their own ideas. Many, such as myself, draw a line at anything more than the most subtle cleaning. I use water, Qtip and a Hi Polymer eraser. It is an art eraser that crumbles easily and is much better than ordinary erasers to help prevent damage to paper when it's rubbed. Under $2 delivered

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...eraser&_sop=15

Last edited by Leon; 04-06-2018 at 08:56 AM.
Old 04-06-2018, 09:10 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default Simple

Car Wash vs Body Shop

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 04-06-2018 at 09:12 AM.
Old 04-06-2018, 10:41 AM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
At what point is "cleaning" a card not considered "altering" a card.

For example, would it be considered altering a card if you can use water and a towel to clean off obvious smudges of dirt or other surface crud? At what point do you consider "cleaning" to be unacceptable?

"Bleaching" is not acceptable, or at least I don't think it is.

Any comments?
Towel and water, okay. Towle and chems, not okay (I think that's the prevailing wisdom)

Last edited by Paul S; 04-06-2018 at 10:54 AM. Reason: always room for improvement
Old 04-06-2018, 10:56 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Not expressing my personal opinion, but a common rule is when you are removing basic things that are nor original to the card that are ON the card, such as dirt, paper and glue. I say ON, because it gets tricky when, for example, you're using harsh chemicals to remove ink writing (that, obviously, isn't original to the card) that has seeped into the cardstock.

You can alter a card if you want-- there's no law against it--, so long as you clearly identify the alteration at sale.

Last edited by drcy; 04-06-2018 at 10:58 AM.
Old 04-06-2018, 11:00 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Car Wash vs Body Shop
Agree. That sums it up well.
Old 04-06-2018, 11:09 AM
pete ullman

While we've discussed this topic numerous times on here...and we all have our own opinions on the topic. The reality is that any "alteration" that cannot be detected is just fine.
Old 04-06-2018, 11:53 AM
J1m C0chran

Default Before and After Soaking

Here is a recently soaked example using warm water and blotting with a paper towel. The "Before" is a little exaggerated, thanks to HA's darkened scans. You would think such a prestigious AH could present more accurate scans. Anyway, I don't see a problem with this cleaning.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 123 SANDY KOUFAX (SGC 3) B384.jpg (27.6 KB, 378 views)
File Type: jpg 123 SANDY KOUFAX (SGC 3) B384 Soaked.jpg (27.6 KB, 371 views)
Old 04-06-2018, 12:12 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcc6252 View Post
Here is a recently soaked example using warm water and blotting with a paper towel. The "Before" is a little exaggerated, thanks to HA's darkened scans. You would think such a prestigious AH could present more accurate scans. Anyway, I don't see a problem with this cleaning.
I have never cleaned a card before, but I am surprised to see that staining came out that easy with just warm water and a paper towel?

I assumed staining, compared to just dirt, embedded itself deeper into the card stock where a simple soak/paper towel wouldn't remove it?
Old 04-06-2018, 12:24 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul S View Post
Towel and water, okay. Towle and chems, not okay (I think that's the prevailing wisdom)
lol
Old 04-06-2018, 03:12 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

To me, it's all about motive. If I think one of my cards could use a soaking to get rid of some gunk, then I'll give it a go...BUT...if I'm thinking of doing it to otherwise 'trick' a potential buyer of said card, that's when you start seeing signs for the ole slippery slope.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 04-06-2018, 03:41 PM
J1m C0chran

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
I have never cleaned a card before, but I am surprised to see that staining came out that easy with just warm water and a paper towel?

I assumed staining, compared to just dirt, embedded itself deeper into the card stock where a simple soak/paper towel wouldn't remove it?
I think it depends on the substance. Dirt, grime, or even gum residue is more likely to come out .vs. tobacco juice or toning.

I believe most water soakings will not change the technical grade, just make the card more presentable.
Old 04-07-2018, 10:34 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
To me, it's all about motive. If I think one of my cards could use a soaking to get rid of some gunk, then I'll give it a go...BUT...if I'm thinking of doing it to otherwise 'trick' a potential buyer of said card, that's when you start seeing signs for the ole slippery slope.
Well said
Old 04-07-2018, 11:30 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
I guess I don’t really see a big difference in the cleaning up a card so that you can enjoy it for a few years which eventually will get sold likely for more money because it is cleaner than buying a card cleaning it and selling it?
Old 04-08-2018, 10:53 AM
Frank Evanov

Default Shave and a haircut

Eventually we all sell so I can’t be limited by by that factor. I’m with Leon. Distilled water bath, a cloth and an eraser are my only tools.
Old 04-11-2018, 09:06 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
I guess I don’t really see a big difference in the cleaning up a card so that you can enjoy it for a few years which eventually will get sold likely for more money because it is cleaner than buying a card cleaning it and selling it?
Me too. Generally speaking a better looking card will sell for more. Anyone cleaning one should understand that. So regardless of the motive, cleaning is a win-win for the seller . ( I dislike that saying) BTW, I like the Towle reference above...
Old 04-13-2018, 06:25 PM
Fred

The reason for the post is because I was looking for a little guidance and advice. I've never done any "doctoring/cleaning" of any cards and was a bit paranoid that:
1 - I'd be violating some type of code of ethics
2 - I'd destroy a paper item which I can't replace

Thank you guys for the advice and guidance. You can see the difference in the card before/after. Note, I didn't scan the before image, I found it from a web site and used it as my reference as "before". You can see the "cleaned" image on the right. Q-tip and water and gentle scrubbing removed a lot of dirt and crud.

Thanks again!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clean Compare 3.jpg (77.3 KB, 74 views)