NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 11-20-2017, 08:35 AM

Default Mini Bat Guide

Does anyone out there know if there is any written material such as a price guide (or any kind of guide) that describes souvenir mini bats? I have several of them of different lengths, with different labels and markings and I'm trying to find out more about them. Thanks for any help!
Old 11-20-2017, 08:39 AM
Tom Boblitt

Nothing written unfortunately...........generally the Louisville Sluggers come in 14,16 and 22 inches length although I've also seen the occasional 18 inch bat. 16's are the most popular and the most made, 14's are the oldest and 22's can be older but aren't nearly as popular for some reason. Used to have a many hundreds collection in size but have sold many/most of them off. A guy named batsbyron on ebay used to be the king of the minibat although I believe he sold most of his collection off as well. Good luck!
Old 11-20-2017, 11:34 AM
bobby

Default mini bats

1885 to 1900 mainly presentation bats. prices are hgh?.
1915 t0 30? blank barrel bats no signature 10 to 22 inches. I call them salesman samples.
H&S 14 inch signature bats 1914 TO 29. Ruth $150. - 1927 W.S. Ruth $600 .
most player $50. value depends on the player. Wagner, Gerhig $300
H&S decal bats sizes matter bigger the bat less it value?. 1913 to 16?.
Joe Jackson , Cobb ,Wagner $100 to $1500 + condition matters.
H&S 16 inch 1930 $50 with pennant $150.
H&S large barrel 22 inch. dates playing years? Jim Thorp seen one. Gerhig Mantle $100
1940s could order any player from factory 16 inches. usually gold lettering?.
this is just my opinion.
Every bat from 1913 to today could be bought from a catalog.
in 1915 a dozen decal bats could be bought for 35 cents each.
Old 11-20-2017, 02:34 PM
David Seid.eman

Default Mini Bats

I happen to love the minis because they are pretty close to the full-sized bats and used the same dies for the labels and signatures. Plus they're cheap and often available at shows.

At the Boston Shriner's show a couple of weeks ago I picked up a bealutiful 1960s Brooks Robinson 125 H&B for $10 on the last day. Asking price was $15.

How can you beat that?! I may even have him sign it.

The pre-war models branded in gold are really attractive.
Old 11-20-2017, 04:15 PM

Default Mini

Here are a couple of pics of my 14 inch bat. I believe this to be one of the first mini baseball bats produced by Hillerich and Son. The center label is hard to make out but that is because it is not stamped into the bat....rather it is like an ink transfer....Made by is above the H and S. Burn marks as well....would love to hear more opinions....Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mini.jpg (78.3 KB, 875 views)
File Type: jpg mini1.jpg (71.3 KB, 872 views)
File Type: jpg mini2.jpg (70.2 KB, 869 views)
File Type: jpg mini3.jpg (70.6 KB, 867 views)
Old 11-25-2017, 11:04 AM
bobby

Default decal

is there a maker mark on the decal. I believe the 1914 Palm & Fetcheler series of Cobb, Wagner, Jackson, Collins , Gowdy and the Burnished Finish decals are a second run of for H&S?. I know there was a run of decals prior to this. Cobb being the most common with four different decals. one before two after?.
Wagner with two. I believe Cobb and Wagner had decals prior to this . the Cobb I have only seen on a mini bat. Wagner I have only seen on full size bats.
your decal appears early. good looking bat.
I have been trying to figure these bats out for years. when I think I know I am wrong.
Old 11-25-2017, 03:17 PM

Default Minis

No makers mark on the decal....it says Used By All Professional League (s) as the s is gone... Talked with a couple of others who thinks it is an early one....that is about all I know on it.
Old 11-25-2017, 04:01 PM
Matt

What Cobb are you referring to when you say you only saw it on a mini?

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibatsman View Post
is there a maker mark on the decal. I believe the 1914 Palm & Fetcheler series of Cobb, Wagner, Jackson, Collins , Gowdy and the Burnished Finish decals are a second run of for H&S?. I know there was a run of decals prior to this. Cobb being the most common with four different decals. one before two after?.
Wagner with two. I believe Cobb and Wagner had decals prior to this . the Cobb I have only seen on a mini bat. Wagner I have only seen on full size bats.
your decal appears early. good looking bat.
I have been trying to figure these bats out for years. when I think I know I am wrong.

Matt Bub13@aol.com
Always looking for 40k Kork Grip Bats, Babe Ruth, Honus Wagner, Ty Cobb, Lou Gehrig and Joe Jackson Bats & Gloves
http://oldbaseballbats.webs.com/
Old 11-26-2017, 10:07 AM
bobby

Default cobb

I believe this to be pre 1914. sorry there was two Cobbs on the 1914 sheet. and one cobb after. I would assume they didn't make one decal just for cobb?. anyone with different info please contribute . I would like to know.

the center brand is just as important as the decal. example the 1914 12 inch Wagner bat. or the mistake it comes in different versions . no center brand the reverse decal and the decal over the center brand. the Gowdy decal is the key to dating this series.

this is why I ask is there a makers mark. i cant find one on any of the Cobbs I have seen. similar to your bat. no makers mark.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0688GSCP2015Spring_sm[1].jpg (3.2 KB, 767 views)

Last edited by minibatsman; 11-26-2017 at 10:35 AM.
Old 11-26-2017, 10:22 AM
Matt

Here it is full size .
https://www.huntauctions.com/live/im...=203&lot_qual=

Matt Bub13@aol.com
Always looking for 40k Kork Grip Bats, Babe Ruth, Honus Wagner, Ty Cobb, Lou Gehrig and Joe Jackson Bats & Gloves
Old 11-26-2017, 10:45 AM
bobby

Default date it.

I still believe that decal it pre 1914?. I don't know. I don't believe H&S had decals before 1911?.
the decal is one of the most complete I have seen .

the reason I use center brands and the decals. it is clear H&B continued using the decals for years. but its not clear if they purchased more decals. I believe they had plenty left over from 1914?. I believe if there would have been another purchase or production of them they would be different and Ruth would have one.

similar to the 1914 Wagner bat with no center label . I would prefer a stronger stamp on yours..

Its not the first one i have seen. I think [Palm Brothers?] may have made your decal. that's a guess. I wish I could say it for sure.
it would help clarify a date to the bat.

Last edited by minibatsman; 11-26-2017 at 11:50 PM.
Old 12-13-2017, 02:15 PM

Default World's Champions Philadelphia, Pa | 9.5" mini bat

Not sure exactly which year this 9.5" mini bat is from. Either 1910, 1911, 1913, 1929 or 1930 since these were the years the Philadelphia Athletics won championships. My guess is it's before 1920 because of the use of "World's Champions" instead of "World Champions." Also, the graphics in the oval are very old timey and it says "MADE IN U.S.A." underneath the oval. Thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sideview.jpg (82.3 KB, 719 views)
File Type: jpg labelview.jpg (77.5 KB, 719 views)

Last edited by atabats; 12-13-2017 at 10:57 PM.
Old 12-13-2017, 07:58 PM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Picked this up recently for my women in baseball collection.

Old 01-26-2018, 01:02 PM
bobby

Default World champions bat

I have a couple of these. 9, 12 and 14 inch bats. I can only say I think it is a company that made this bat?. meaning the company {World Champions} is the maker of this bat?. a souvenir bat for any occasion. 9 inch? is the most common?.

souvenir bats were hot in mid 20s. I believe your bat is from around that time frame

the ones I have are mostly blank barrel. with just center brand. and I have a couple with teams on them similar to yours. I don't collect full size and don't know of one of these available full size. probably is one?.

everyone I have seen with a team on it . the owner wants to believe it came from the W.S. and I cant say were it came from I don't know. I have always considered them salesman samples?. but I haven't seem a full size one. no idea who made them and are these small ones all they made?,.
there almost always 9 inch blank barrel bats?. and ones like yours show up.

I think a vendor possibly at a world series game that had access to a couple of these bats.
had the team name added to the bat and sold them?. I am always digging trying to figure them out?.

you could ask full size bat collectors they might know. who made it and a date ? I would like to know.

I have the same bat with the cubs on it. I display it proudly but I wont say its from the 1908 world series. wish I could. my bat is not 1908 old and exactly the same bat as yours

The GRAND RAPIDS CHICKS bat dates to that teams playing days?. I don't know this team I guaranty someone would know if you posted it and asked.

Last edited by minibatsman; 01-31-2018 at 05:53 AM.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:27 AM

Default Mini bat collector. New to Net54.

I have collected Mini bats for about 30 years. Mainly interested in H&B 125 pre-1968 (is this when they stopped burning in?). About 400 total bats in my collection. Maybe 30 or so of the 14-inch variety. Most recent find was a Pie Traynor. I do not have any of the classic decal bats of the early 1900's. However, some years ago I acquired bats with decals of Wagner, Jackson, Collins and Cobb (2 different). The decals have the "classic" look, but the bats have center brands that were used in the 60's. Two have the "Reg U S Pat Off" under the brand and three have the "circle R" after Louisville Slugger. The bats are all in Mint condition. Actually look brand new. Anyone else seen these?
Old 02-12-2018, 10:33 AM
Matt

can you post some pictures?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagliman View Post
I have collected Mini bats for about 30 years. Mainly interested in H&B 125 pre-1968 (is this when they stopped burning in?). About 400 total bats in my collection. Maybe 30 or so of the 14-inch variety. Most recent find was a Pie Traynor. I do not have any of the classic decal bats of the early 1900's. However, some years ago I acquired bats with decals of Wagner, Jackson, Collins and Cobb (2 different). The decals have the "classic" look, but the bats have center brands that were used in the 60's. Two have the "Reg U S Pat Off" under the brand and three have the "circle R" after Louisville Slugger. The bats are all in Mint condition. Actually look brand new. Anyone else seen these?

Matt Bub13@aol.com
Old 02-14-2018, 02:36 PM

Will try to attach a couple photos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2500.JPG (24.4 KB, 580 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2501.JPG (22.5 KB, 577 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2502.JPG (22.2 KB, 578 views)
Old 07-26-2018, 07:26 PM
bobby

Default reprints

they are reprints. same ones on ebay today.
Old 08-02-2018, 10:56 AM

Default Decal Reprints

Reprints for sure. Just wondered if I could determine their age. Can I go by the center brand? The condition is so near perfect that I can hardly believe they are 50-60 years old.
Old 03-06-2019, 04:14 PM
bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagliman View Post
Reprints for sure. Just wondered if I could determine their age. Can I go by the center brand? The condition is so near perfect that I can hardly believe they are 50-60 years old.
there not ten years old.
Old 03-08-2019, 02:34 PM
K Farrell

I occasionally see old looking, worn mini decal bats with no center brand - usually Wagner, Jackson, Cobb - with no center brand. Is there any way to determine whether or not they are old, vs recent re-makes when there is no LS center brand?
Old 05-12-2019, 08:29 PM
bobby

Default old mini,s

There was a time I wouldn't buy a bat . without a center brand. I missed out on some nice bats. I don't know why the center brand isn't there. It should be?. .today I look for them . 12 inch decal bats buy them?. mini bats. can be rare . The bat you passed on . you may never see another one like it again.
Most Decal bats in any condition You should be able to tell if its a original bat.
The bat you posted looked like a original decal bat . You will know when you see a fake?. The outer edge . if you see white on edges its fake.
The decals H&S/B used . Are similar to the decals you may have put in the water. and slid on to your modal toy car. Original decals are very thin.
Newer decals. Have trouble matching original colors. Red , white, gold trim, The colors can help look at other bats there available to view.

Last edited by minibatsman; 06-06-2019 at 05:23 PM.
Old 12-13-2019, 06:59 PM

Default Mini Bat Guide

The center brand isn’t there because it was most likely an ink transfer and has worn off over time. Here are a couple ink transfer center brand examples of J.F. Hillerich & Son Co. still intact.

I would guess that these ink transfers predate the branded versions by a couple of years. If anyone knows for sure, please post.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Baker.jpg (40.5 KB, 303 views)
File Type: jpg Collins.jpg (15.1 KB, 303 views)

Last edited by atabats; 01-05-2020 at 08:59 PM.
Old 01-30-2020, 02:36 AM
Chris Wood

Would like to find out more about the Spalding minis. Just picked up this Ross Youngs auto model. 17.5 inches.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 18444FBA-EC6E-4DA4-A837-0E0247DB6339.jpg (15.8 KB, 240 views)
File Type: jpg 03685827-4163-489A-BBD0-9576CB886BB6.jpg (11.7 KB, 237 views)

Last edited by baseball tourist; 01-30-2020 at 02:37 AM.
Old 01-30-2020, 10:13 AM
Clint

Chris, I have 5 different of the minis. They are all tough to find and I’ve never seen any advertising for them. The ones I have were all made to the exact shapes of the full size bats of the players named only in miniature if that helps. Your Young’s bat is the first I have seen.
Old 01-30-2020, 12:11 PM
Chris Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksfarmboy View Post
Chris, I have 5 different of the minis. They are all tough to find and I’ve never seen any advertising for them. The ones I have were all made to the exact shapes of the full size bats of the players named only in miniature if that helps. Your Young’s bat is the first I have seen.
Thanks Clint!
Old 01-30-2020, 04:26 PM
Matt

That’s a cool mini !
You and Clint should send them my way so they can be displayed together 😃

Matt Bub13@aol.com
Old 01-30-2020, 06:51 PM
Chris Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGHPro View Post
That’s a cool mini !
You and Clint should send them my way so they can be displayed together 😃
Matt..I would trade for a cool Toronto photo
Old 01-30-2020, 08:37 PM
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball tourist View Post
Matt..I would trade for a cool Toronto photo
No luck yet ! I'll let you know

Matt Bub13@aol.com
Old 02-28-2020, 02:52 PM
bobby

Default 1915 no one realy knows. somone should.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atabats View Post
The center brand isn’t there because it was most likely an ink transfer and has worn off over time. Here are a couple ink transfer center brand examples of J.F. Hillerich & Son Co. still intact.

I would guess that these ink transfers predate the branded versions by a couple of years. If anyone knows for sure, please post.
I believe the Palm % Fetchler sheet of decals that includes your decals.
dates to late 1914 to 15. Gowdy is also on this sheet.
He had a very good 1914 World Series. and was approached by Hillerich after the series.
The earliest bats are 12 inches and the decals did not fit the bats.
They didn't fit because off the burnt in center brand.
I believe the burnt ones were first.
This possibly would not have been a problem with a stamp.
But know one really knows..
Old 03-03-2020, 05:52 PM
Jay Cee

Don't know much about bats but I like them alot. Got this Mini Cobb a few years back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6400.jpg (64.2 KB, 128 views)
Old 03-04-2020, 07:15 AM
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanTown View Post
Don't know much about bats but I like them alot. Got this Mini Cobb a few years back.
Gorgeous

Matt Bub13@aol.com
Old 03-04-2020, 11:25 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Yes, what a beautiful example! So tough to find them at all, let alone that pristine.

Great pickup!