NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 07-16-2011, 02:18 PM
John

Default Vintage Spalding Bats

I located this photo of Cy Williams holding a Spalding "Autograph" bat. I attached a photo of one of my bats, which I assume is a store model. The labels look exactly alike.
Does anyone know how to tell the difference between Spalding pro and store models?
Thanks, John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CY.jpg (62.3 KB, 270 views)
File Type: jpg Cy Wms - Spalding.jpg (73.0 KB, 273 views)
Old 07-16-2011, 02:44 PM
Clint

John, great photo I haven't seen that one yet. I've found photos of Sam Crawford and Miller Huggins holding similar Spalding bats. The experts say the first step in determining possible game use is the lack of the Spading trade mark logo on the knob and end of bat. Store model bats will have it on both ends and some will have it on only one end. The ends should also showing rasping marks where the lathe dowels were cut and rasped. This only applies to the autograph models. The next step would then be to compare it to other known game examples. That's about the only way to tell without direct provenance. I would bet that your bat has the Spalding logo on the knob only.
Old 07-16-2011, 03:27 PM
John

You nailed it, Clint. Knob only. What made you suggest it was knob only?
Old 07-16-2011, 03:42 PM
Clint

I've owned over 60 of these style bats at one time and almost all of the 1912-1925 model Spalding bats had the trade-mark on the knob only. Very few had them on both ends and maybe one or two on the end only. Most of the Gold Medal 1908-1911 line of Spalding autograph bats had the trade-mark on both ends with very few on only one end. I've also kept track of 2-300 bats that have sold in various auctions, ebay and publications. Cy Williams was offered in the 1917-1924 time range. Although none of the Spalding bats are what I consider common this is a bat that turns up semi frequently.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:14 AM
John

Dusting off this old post. What value would you place on this one? 33 1/2" with no cracks, chips, splits and so on.
JV

Last edited by John V; 01-09-2017 at 09:28 AM.