NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 12-31-2016, 10:31 PM
Belltown Vintage

Default Venting: Ebay Deadbeat Buyers

It's bad enough that as a seller I can't give negative feedback to a buyer who screws me, but I just tried to re-list an item and was halted in my tracks for adding the word 'deadbeat' to the description. This bidder basically 'saved' my item during the Christmas buying season and then failed to pay and never contacted me to indicate they weren't going to pay. A 'negative strike' on this buyer is useless to me and not anything that any other potential seller can use to warn themselves against this loser.

Shouldn't an ebay seller be able to indicate, either through negative feedback or through his description, some verbiage that can warn other prospective sellers?

Since we are not restricted by ebay rules here, I will warn my fellow collectors that tumbleweed888_4 is a pariah to our hobby. He/she purchased a baseball from another buyer, failed to pay, then the item was re-listed and ended, then he/she purchased a similar item from me and never paid. After all of this, ebay protects this loser from ME?
Old 01-01-2017, 06:41 AM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
It's bad enough that as a seller I can't give negative feedback to a buyer who screws me, but I just tried to re-list an item and was halted in my tracks for adding the word 'deadbeat' to the description. This bidder basically 'saved' my item during the Christmas buying season and then failed to pay and never contacted me to indicate they weren't going to pay. A 'negative strike' on this buyer is useless to me and not anything that any other potential seller can use to warn themselves against this loser.

Shouldn't an ebay seller be able to indicate, either through negative feedback or through his description, some verbiage that can warn other prospective sellers?

Since we are not restricted by ebay rules here, I will warn my fellow collectors that tumbleweed888_4 is a pariah to our hobby. He/she purchased a baseball from another buyer, failed to pay, then the item was re-listed and ended, then he/she purchased a similar item from me and never paid. After all of this, ebay protects this loser from ME?
Scott, I feel your frustration.

Years ago, when EBay implemented their "No Negative Feedback" to deadbeat and scam buyers, I knew that would allow trash buyers to have the freedom to do whatever they felt like without fear of penalty.

Really sickening.
Old 01-01-2017, 07:44 AM
Br.ent So.bie

That's an unfortunate story.
Hopefully, more honest buyers cross your path Scott. ☺
I do have to say though, its a two-way street.
Before these modern changes to sellers on EBay, I had been ripped-off numerous times in the 'old days' of the Bay.
I received the completely wrong items, I had cards switched with lower grade examples than I had purchased, twice I received empty boxes, and twice I was fool enough to send money orders, both times with the items never sent, with one of the seller's then having the NERVE to claim on my feedback that I was a "greedy" buyer looking for free stuff.
Let's be honest, its other dishonest sellers that have ruined it for the honest individuals, but then again, that can be said for the buyer's as well.
Case in point, the Global Shipping Program was implemented due to countless sellers sending either empty boxes or the wrong items, with numerous buyer's also dishonest "claiming" they didn't receive their item. Now, as a Canadian buyer, I have to pay an exorbitant amount for shipping, so that the items are first sent from the seller to a processing plant, with EBay then opening and confirming the contents before they're then shipped to me.
Sadly, there never seems to be any middle ground on the Bay....
Its either sellers getting ripped... Or buyers taking it on the chin.
Old 01-01-2017, 07:51 AM
Ke.n Su.lik

Do 'non-paying strikes' even mean anything? I wonder if any buyers have actually been kicked off for that. I'm sorry, but they should show up for public view.
Old 01-01-2017, 08:04 AM

Runscott,

This doesn't often happen to me (but happens more often at Christmas time) so what I do is the following, I relist the item but at the very beginning of the description I say, "I am relisting this item because tumbleweed888_4 bid on and won but never paid for it".

This way, people know why I am relisting the item (since it has previously been listed and "sold") and also know what buyer to watch out for.

David
Old 01-01-2017, 08:06 AM
Mike P.ap

Default Ebay...

Ebay exists to protect the buyers which is a shame really. I understand the importance of that but they really have gone overboard. I set a re-stock fee of 20% which clearly is in all of my auctions, and Ebay has NEVER charged the buyer that fee because they said the item was not as advertised!

I have done over 4500 deals on Ebay and this has only happened 3 times but their rules are simply not enforced if you are the seller. Same with the Post Office, good luck trying to collect insurance an anything with them. UGH!!!

Happy New Year!

Peace, Mike

Last edited by vthobby; 01-01-2017 at 08:07 AM.
Old 01-01-2017, 08:29 AM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctownboy View Post
Runscott,

This doesn't often happen to me (but happens more often at Christmas time) so what I do is the following, I relist the item but at the very beginning of the description I say, "I am relisting this item because tumbleweed888_4 bid on and won but never paid for it".

This way, people know why I am relisting the item (since it has previously been listed and "sold") and also know what buyer to watch out for.

David
+1
Old 01-01-2017, 10:45 AM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post

Scott, I feel your pain on this one, and have now blocked this deadbeat from bidding on my items as well. I agree that eBay's telling sellers that the buyer is getting an "unpaid item strike" without any indication of how many strikes they have, what action that results in being taken against them, and what the threshold for strikes to result in action may be is less than satisfying as a seller. I have to believe that getting all sellers on Net54 to add him to their blocked buyer list is more effective than any action eBay might (might) take against the buyer.

Did you quote the user's name when you re-listed the item, or just say "relisted due to a deadbeat buyer" or similar generic statement? I only ask because I have never had any problems relisting an item with a statement of "Relisted due to non-paying bidder" at the top of the description. I haven't done so recently though, so something may have changed that is even kicking those descriptions out.
Old 01-01-2017, 01:04 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I don't know how it works today (and eBay's often changing rules), but in the old days if a buy got multiple non-paying strikes (three?) they would be banned. So always make sure to do that part.

Though your recourse can be to post the user's name here on the PSA board and eBay sellers will thank you and surely block the bidder.

Last edited by drcy; 01-01-2017 at 01:06 PM.
Old 01-01-2017, 06:48 PM
Steve Birmingham

Maybe some different wording. I looked for this a while ago, and ran across it today. Big stamp auction house, and this wording was placed prominently right on the cover of the printed catalog.

"Lots from Sales 1084, 1085, 1089 and 1090 are being reoffered on behalf of 38 consignors, in accordance with Conditions of Sale paragraph 7, which gives Siegel Auction Galleries the right to resell lots in the event a buyer fails to pay for purchases. Clear title will pass to all new buyers in this resale. Siegel Auction Galleries will continue its pending legal action to seek damages from the defaulting buyer. "

From
https://siegelauctions.com/sales.php?sale_no=1100

Pretty much the harshest I've seen from a big place. But then, if they had enough deadbeats to fill a whole auction it's understandable.

Steve B
Old 01-01-2017, 10:10 PM
Dan Bretta

As a seller you can only really hope you don't run into a true psycho. A few years back I turned over a lady for non-payment after 10 days or so...she got so pissed at me that she then proceeded to hit the BIN on about 50 of the highest dollar items I had on ebay. I turned her over to ebay and they did nothing to her at all. I watched for a while to see if she would be kicked off and she never was.

Now just about a month ago I ran into another cretin. It was a bidder who asked if I would end an auction early for $100. I responded to him telling him that I was well aware that the item would sell for around $300 as recent transactions had proven. He mailed me back saying "no problem that he wasn't aware that it was worth that much". So a few days later I see the item is bid up to $1000. I look at the bid history and see that the underbidder is the guy who tried to get me to end it for $100. I email the underbidder and the top bidder to see what is going on. The top bidder I hear nothing from, but the underbidder emails me back right away saying that I'm crazy and that he never bid on my item at all. I ask him if he thinks I can't see the bid history. No response back. I call ebay and the lady on ebay says she will do some research while she puts me on hold. She comes back and tells me the high bidder and the underbidder are the same person. She tells me to cancel both bids and block both accounts. His punishment was apparently nothing as he is still on ebay under both accounts.

Here are the accounts

Bid retraction and cancellation history
Everyone can see that a bid has been retracted, but only you and the bidder can see the explanation
Bidder Action Date of Bid and Retraction
jossalaz_8tdofzpsd ( 14Feedback score is 10 to 49) Cancelled: US $999.00
Explanation: Not a legitimate bidder Bid: Nov-20-16 18:16:24 PST
Cancelled: Nov-23-16 13:02:49 PST
michaevega-0 ( 13Feedback score is 10 to 49) Cancelled: US $990.00
Explanation: Not a legitimate bidder Bid: Nov-23-16 09:50:52 PST
Cancelled: Nov-23-16 13:03:13 PST

Last edited by slidekellyslide; 01-01-2017 at 10:12 PM.
Old 01-02-2017, 01:28 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
As a seller you can only really hope you don't run into a true psycho. A few years back I turned over a lady for non-payment after 10 days or so...she got so pissed at me that she then proceeded to hit the BIN on about 50 of the highest dollar items I had on ebay. I turned her over to ebay and they did nothing to her at all. I watched for a while to see if she would be kicked off and she never was.

Now just about a month ago I ran into another cretin. It was a bidder who asked if I would end an auction early for $100. I responded to him telling him that I was well aware that the item would sell for around $300 as recent transactions had proven. He mailed me back saying "no problem that he wasn't aware that it was worth that much". So a few days later I see the item is bid up to $1000. I look at the bid history and see that the underbidder is the guy who tried to get me to end it for $100. I email the underbidder and the top bidder to see what is going on. The top bidder I hear nothing from, but the underbidder emails me back right away saying that I'm crazy and that he never bid on my item at all. I ask him if he thinks I can't see the bid history. No response back. I call ebay and the lady on ebay says she will do some research while she puts me on hold. She comes back and tells me the high bidder and the underbidder are the same person. She tells me to cancel both bids and block both accounts. His punishment was apparently nothing as he is still on ebay under both accounts.

Here are the accounts

Bid retraction and cancellation history
Everyone can see that a bid has been retracted, but only you and the bidder can see the explanation
Bidder Action Date of Bid and Retraction
jossalaz_8tdofzpsd ( 14Feedback score is 10 to 49) Cancelled: US $999.00
Explanation: Not a legitimate bidder Bid: Nov-20-16 18:16:24 PST
Cancelled: Nov-23-16 13:02:49 PST
michaevega-0 ( 13Feedback score is 10 to 49) Cancelled: US $990.00
Explanation: Not a legitimate bidder Bid: Nov-23-16 09:50:52 PST
Cancelled: Nov-23-16 13:03:13 PST

Hmmm. I wonder if they would have both (I know same guy) tried to negotiate a lower price later on, claiming the other was not a legitimate bidder.

Seems remarkably close to the story I had about a Roger Maris Newspaper I was auctioning around this time last year.

1st guy claimed an accidental high bid, tried to negotiate it down to about 25% of his high bid, and then the 2nd high bidder sent me an offer almost exactly what the high bidder was offering.

Always seems to be this time of year, these bidders come out of the woodwork.
Old 01-02-2017, 01:48 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
As soon as I start any kind of proceedings against someone I block them. I basically anticipate retaliatory behavior and head it off at the pass.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 01-02-2017, 04:16 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huysmans View Post
That's an unfortunate story.
Hopefully, more honest buyers cross your path Scott. ☺
I do have to say though, its a two-way street.
Before these modern changes to sellers on EBay, I had been ripped-off numerous times in the 'old days' of the Bay.
I received the completely wrong items, I had cards switched with lower grade examples than I had purchased, twice I received empty boxes, and twice I was fool enough to send money orders, both times with the items never sent, with one of the seller's then having the NERVE to claim on my feedback that I was a "greedy" buyer looking for free stuff.
Let's be honest, its other dishonest sellers that have ruined it for the honest individuals, but then again, that can be said for the buyer's as well.
Case in point, the Global Shipping Program was implemented due to countless sellers sending either empty boxes or the wrong items, with numerous buyer's also dishonest "claiming" they didn't receive their item. Now, as a Canadian buyer, I have to pay an exorbitant amount for shipping, so that the items are first sent from the seller to a processing plant, with EBay then opening and confirming the contents before they're then shipped to me.
Sadly, there never seems to be any middle ground on the Bay....
Its either sellers getting ripped... Or buyers taking it on the chin.
Global shipping is something I will never use again due to their high fees.
I have vented numerous times about it but I do understand, for the most part, why it is in place.

As a buyer, it surprises me when I hear some don't pay promptly or within a reasonable amount of time, but I guess some like to play games?
If it is a card/item you want, then pay for it when you win it. I don't understand the delay(s)?

As a buyer, I try to pay immediately after I have won unless I have won multiple, then I will wait for the combined shipping invoice.
This has worked in my favor with sellers as I am also treated very good when it comes to shipping speed and fees.

Feedback From When
Positive feedback rating outstanding eBay buyer. Paid quickly. Loyal customer of mine. Seller: doctorboctor.2008 ( 452Teal star icon for feedback score in between 100 to 499) During past month Feedback conversation
-- (#182397267588) -- View Item

Positive feedback rating Always a fast response and payment. Thanks. Highly Recommended! Seller: texasholdem ( 17358Yellow shooting star icon for feedback score in between 10,000 to 24,999) During past month Feedback conversation
-- (#391656677569) -- View Item

Positive feedback rating Prompt payment from a highly recommanded buyer, thank to you. Seller: jac1504 ( 7221Green star icon for feedback score in between 5,000 to 9,999) During past month Feedback conversation
-- (#262666885941) -- View Item

Positive feedback rating Fast payment. Great communication. A pleasure to do business with. Seller: pwcc_auctions ( 105269Red shooting star icon for feedback score in between 100,000 to 499,999) During past 6 months Feedback conversation
-- (#142165316926) -- View Item

Positive feedback rating Fast payment. 5 Stars Ebay Buyer. Thanks. Highly Recommended!
Old 01-03-2017, 04:45 PM
Belltown Vintage

Wow - great responses!

I was kind of angry with myself for starting a 'whiny' thread like this, so I have avoided the internet since I posted it But seeing your responses, I'm glad I posted.

Today I had some additional issues with ebay, and I wanted to post the results, as I think it could help some of you. But first - thanks for your stories. I had added a line similar to what ctownboy suggested, but I liked his so much that I copied into my listing word for word.

I agree with Aquarian Sports Cards' method of blocking the person before taking any action - I do the same as soon as I sniff the beginnings of trouble. I realize that you make more money if you put up with anything, but I would rather be less wealthy and have my sphincter intact.

I'm about to start a thread on how to deal with the new fees popping up for using listing designer. It's not pleasant, but there is a solution.