NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-06-2014, 05:58 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387
Default Seller: "Ill just keep it" tactics in negotiation

Can we all agree, when negotiating a card, after the Seller has cited past sales, what past people have offered, SMR, VCP, has a deal with a guy but wont have funds till December etc, plus they refuse to list on Ebay....that when dealer finally says 'if i cant sell ill just keep it' (and they usually mean will keep for years not for the week etc)

that means they arent willing to sell at market value? or least during the current market value period of time. (dont say waiting for a month to pass, assume they mean for years) Ok let the arguments begin...

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 11-06-2014 at 05:58 AM.
Old 11-06-2014, 06:02 AM
Dave_Berg

That made me dizzy
Old 11-06-2014, 06:12 AM
Paul

Sellers can ask any price they want -- reasonable or not. I'll just keep it is another way of saying no thank you. Market value has nothing to do with it, except as another factor in the arsenal of both sides during negotiations.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 11-06-2014, 06:24 AM
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post
Sellers can ask any price they want -- reasonable or not. I'll just keep it is another way of saying no thank you. Market value has nothing to do with it, except as another factor in the arsenal of both sides during negotiations.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 11-06-2014, 06:50 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387
Default right i agree

sellers can do whatever they want..but if they would rather keep the card versus selling it..they cant say they are offering it at market value at the present time if they will keep it rather than sell it to the highest bidder..

i never said a seller has to sell a card....i just saying can we all agree they arent willing to sell it at present market value if will not sell to the highest offer in a large period of time and would rather hold onto the card for years..
Old 11-06-2014, 06:57 AM
Peter Spaeth

This seems circular to me. If a seller isn't willing to sell, then he isn't willing to sell.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 11-06-2014, 06:55 AM
Trey

I find that when you have extremely long & drawn out negotiations over a fair market offer like you're describing without a sale there are usually some sentimental feelings toward the card. Either money whip the sentimental feelings out of the picture or move on....it's their property and they aren't truly ready to move on. Market value is of no consequence to a sentimental owner.
Old 11-06-2014, 07:00 AM
Aaron Rothschild

Default Value of a card?

A card is worth what a buyer will pay for it... Conversely a card is also worth what a seller is willing to take for it...
Old 11-06-2014, 10:13 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
Can we all agree, when negotiating a card, after the Seller has cited past sales, what past people have offered, SMR, VCP, has a deal with a guy but wont have funds till December etc, plus they refuse to list on Ebay....that when dealer finally says 'if i cant sell ill just keep it' (and they usually mean will keep for years not for the week etc)

that means they arent willing to sell at market value? or least during the current market value period of time. (dont say waiting for a month to pass, assume they mean for years) Ok let the arguments begin...
This all makes me wonder what type of tactics you use on the buyer end.

My favorite goes something like this: "Since your photo has creases all over it and is dirty, I'm offering you lower than your asking price." You can use this one for cards as well. I need this kind of logic presented to me since I'm too stupid to consider condition when I price things.
Old 11-06-2014, 10:48 AM
J@son M1ller

I agree with Adam's points. I'd also add that if that person puts it up for sale on N54 B/S/T, and gets 5 offers, that isn't the "market". C'mon, 5 people send low ball offers for a card and he should accept one of them because that's the market for a card?

If the card sold 3-4 times in the last 2 years in well publicized auctions, I might accept that as close to market price.

Without details into your particular scenario, it's very hard to give a yes or no answer, but I'm going to say NO.
Old 11-06-2014, 08:21 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
This all makes me wonder what type of tactics you use on the buyer end.

My favorite goes something like this: "Since your photo has creases all over it and is dirty, I'm offering you lower than your asking price." You can use this one for cards as well. I need this kind of logic presented to me since I'm too stupid to consider condition when I price things.
+1

And when someone starts quoting guides and market prices and such, that's usually when I end the negotiation. Make me an offer, and if I think it's too low, I'll counter with what I can do. Keep dicking around with lowball offers, and the price goes up from there (annoyance tax). Try to "educate" me on the market, teach me how to grade, quote some online price guide, or (my favorite) tell me how you'll give me 70% of the lowball price you once saw that item sell for, and I'll simply block you. I've been buying and selling on eBay since 1997, and there are too many reasonable customers out there who I enjoy interacting with for me to waste my time with a buyer who is probably going to find some reason to neg me later on anyway.

I'll just keep it.

Last edited by thecatspajamas; 11-06-2014 at 08:38 PM.
Old 11-06-2014, 08:40 PM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

OK, for a non-crotchety summary. There are probably dozens of legitimate reasons buyers offer that they do and dozens of legitimate reasons why sellers accept offers that the do. And there are probably dozens more excuses on both sides. The ONLY fact one can ascertain from when a sale is NOT made is that the seller and buyer couldn't agree on a price. Nothing more.
Old 11-06-2014, 08:44 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschock View Post
OK, for a non-crotchety summary. There are probably dozens of legitimate reasons buyers offer that they do and dozens of legitimate reasons why sellers accept offers that the do. And there are probably dozens more excuses on both sides. The ONLY fact one can ascertain from when a sale is NOT made is that the seller and buyer couldn't agree on a price. Nothing more.
Yeah, and there are 524 cards in the T206 set. End of discussion.

(This is a discussion forum).
Old 11-07-2014, 08:52 AM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Yeah, and there are 524 cards in the T206 set. End of discussion.

(This is a discussion forum).

Exactly! (as opposed to a p*ss and moan forum)

My only point was around a number of previous 'assumptions' as to why people say the things they do. "I'll just keep it" could mean anything from a very polite "No thanks" to a not quite as polite "F*ck off!"

And the entire OP that spawned this was based on 'assumptions'. But there was also the "let the arguments begin" ending, which may have been the entire purpose all along. (again, another assumption)

Edit: To clarify, I totally understand the need to vent though, which is what this thread basically seems to be.

Last edited by tschock; 11-07-2014 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Venting
Old 11-07-2014, 07:51 PM
Alex

I posted a link to the endowment effect. This seems on point.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:57 PM
Belltown Vintage

Nice one Lance.

Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk