NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-23-2008, 06:10 AM
Administrator

Default SHOELESSJIM & Vintage Investment ebay situation

Posted By: Jason Duncan

I recently received my first 3 of many negs I am sure after almost 8 years on ebay as a seller of vintage cards. I know I warranted some negative response from Scott for the poor packaging (which I immediately took care of and only a few packages got sent like that). This is really going too far by abusing ebay's new "screw the seller" system. This ***wipe has decided to neg me on 3 graded cards that were sent in oversized mailer for shipping charges. These charges again were CLEARLY stated in the description $5 for the first graded card and $2 per additional card. I dont think this was a huge markup for shipping. Yes, it is more than what it actually cost, but I just wanted covered. I would consider dropping shipping to help, but with this new system I do not think it will matter. i have been selling for 8 years like this and shoelessjim has purchased many items with no problems or complaints before. Clearly a plan to sabatogue perfect feedback. I am sure you will be seeing my items in an auction house soon for I am about done with feebay and their irresponsible way of managing their site. I truly enjoyed this hobby for the good people and history of the game, but seems like there are too many morons like this out there that like to ruin a good thing. I would recommend blocking this bidder. THis really blindsighted me out of nowhere.

Jason

(changed title since I locked the other thread...in order to be more fair)-leon

Old 05-23-2008, 07:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Eric

Jason...

And I actually charge $7 for the first item and $1.50 for each after that. This way I include insurance and make sure I ship everything now in a hard box.

Eric

Old 05-23-2008, 08:10 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeremy

Jason - Out of curiosity, I checked the items you referred to and I could not find anything other than $6 insured on each of the 3 items in question. What am I missing here? This dispute is between you two gentlemen, but I must say, I am not understanding your post after looking at the 3 items on ebay...(Item number: 350048489845) - Regards,J

~ Jeremy ~

Old 05-23-2008, 08:20 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave F

Jason-

Since this is a board member that is the other party involved and he has 100% feedback and enough of it to look like he has some common sense, perhaps things can be worked out to nullify the feedback on both parts for the transactions and agree to just not deal with each other anymore. Yes, the new feedback system sucks...but I don't know that it is anymore "right" to come back with a neg on the buyer because he left you one. Obviously he did is part, which was to pay for the items...so no negative should be given to him. Maybe Jim will chime in and better explain what happened...because I agree the shipping charges were easy to read.

Old 05-23-2008, 08:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark Lutz

We might be entering an era when buyers leave negative or neutral feedback for shipping charges that exceed the actual cost of shipping.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhys

I know it personally does not affect me since I live less than 1 mile from my post office, but it would not surprise me to see people start to hike up their shipping to cover the gas to the Post Office. My truck gets about 15 mph so if I lived out in the country a bit more it "could" cost someone $10 soon just to make the trip. So a $3- $4 charge for $2 worth of shipping or something like that should get anyone upset in my opinion.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tim Newcomb

I was recently in the same position as Jim with Jason's shipping charges. I bought 15 graded M101-5s from vintageinvestments for $219. The shipping charge was $33. I thought that was excessive, given that the box had less than $10 of postage on it. I bring this up not just to bitch, but to indicate to Jason that he might want to rethink his shipping policy, as no buyer is going to be thrilled with it.

But on the other hand, I decided not to complain because the shipping charges were listed up front in the auction. I never considered giving a negative. Getting a negative seems like a raw deal for a seller who did, after all, clearly state the charges and stuck to his part of the transaction. Why hammer him after the fact when it's too late for him to do anything about it?

Tim

Old 05-23-2008, 10:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: James Gallo

I have done numerous deals with Jason and I have never had a problem at all.

I would like to see the auctions in question here.

As a seller I do try to combine shipping as much as possible, but with the post off rate hike and all the other added costs, its hard to keep it down.

I think if shipping fees are listed in the auction and the seller does what they are supposed to do you can't complain. Ie I pay for insurance and it comes insured or I pay for priority mail and it comes priority mail.

As a buyer I would have a problem if I pay for a service and it does not come that way. I have taken a neg for this as well.

Actually I would rather pay extra in shipping and get my cards quickly, as lately my cards are taking forever to get to me.

James G

Looking for 1915 Cracker Jacks and 1909-11 American Caramel E90-1.

Old 05-23-2008, 10:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

Jeremy above posted a link to one of the auction listings in question. That listing makes no mention of any combined shipping discount. In the other locked thread, Jim mentioned he has some emails from Jason. I'm guessing the issue here arises from the discussion in those emails regarding combined shipping charges that we aren't privy to.

Old 05-23-2008, 11:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

For 8.95 a person can mail pounds of cards.

Try it, it is called priority mail.

They give you the boxes for free too.

Steve

Old 05-23-2008, 11:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: brian p

Like Tim I also won multiple m101-5 cards (if I remember correctly 11), and was charged a total of $25.00 for shipping, which was actually around $8.00. As Tim notes, I knew going into it what the combined shipping charges would be, as it was listed in the auction description. I did make mention in my payment that (this seller) should reconsider his shipping policies, as it would discourage me (and potentially other bidders) from bidding on his auctions in the future. In my case I was the underbidder on another 15-20 lots that would have gone for $3 to $7 cheaper if I hadn't bid. So to me it is not good business policy to turn away more bidding action just to rake in some additional unjustifiable shipping charges. I definitely would seriously consider against making multiple bids again from such a seller.

By the way, never received any response to my suggestion.

Brian

Old 05-23-2008, 11:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingcardman

I buy and I sell. Until now, I would never leave bad feedback even when I paid $3-$4 for a $0.52 stamp on a plain envelope because of the retaliatory feedback issue.

Look at it from the customer side: You known darn well that the incremental cost of adding another card to a package is maybe $0.17 for ungraded, $0.54 for a graded card. You can even cap the actual cost. Per the USPS:

Flat Rate Boxes are available in multiple sizes and shapes to accommodate a variety of contents and shipping needs.
Both Flat Rate Boxes, the shirt box size (11" x 8.5" x 5.5") and the shoe box size (13.625" x 11.875" x 3.375"), can be used for domestic and international shipping.
— Available to anywhere in the U.S. for $9.80
The Priority Mail Large Flat Rate Box, (12" x 12" x 5.5") is 50% larger than the original Flat Rate Boxes.
— Domestic $12.95

You can also use a flat rate priority 2# mailer for $4.75, which easily accommodates several raw cards with packing or 3-4slabbed cards.

You do not have to run to the PO to ship; they will come to you and pick up. If you use web generated postage you do not need to hand heavier parcels to the clerk, either.

I do not accept "I said $6 a card, so eat it." It may be right per your listing but it isn't fair. If you want to tick off a customer, stick with that. If you want to have a happy camper, however, take a little initiative and when you see someone buying a bunch of your cards, make the gesture with your invoice to reduce shipping some in recognition of the multiple purchase that reduces your work and costs. Instead of an angry recipient wielding negative feedbacks you get a happy potential future customer. If you want to make a tidy little profit on your shipping fees when someone is buying multiple lots from you, you have to expect some ticked off buyers when the postage is way less than the charge, especially now when everyone is feeling squeezed and when the penalty for leaving an accurate feedback for a seller is gone.

If I was the buyer in this case I'd have neg'ed you too, on every listing. He certainly felt gouged, especially when he got the packaging he received. Your response made things so much worse: you denied and danced when your response to the damage complaint should have been "sorry the cards were damaged; what can I do to work this out?"

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

Old 05-23-2008, 11:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: David Goff

Someone please correct me on this if I am wrong...

Would this be considered Mail Fraud? If a buyer is charged say $25 for shipping and the items arrive in one package with $7 paid postage, would that be fraud? I feel if the seller charges X amount for the first item then X amount for each additional item, the items should shipped separately. When I sell multiple items to one buyer, I only charge to standard fee for priority shipping. Baseball cards normally do not weigh that much anyway. Just my two cents...

David

Old 05-23-2008, 11:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

There are 54200 lawyers on the board but to me fraud means deception......if the shipping cost is on the listing then, to me, it's not deceptive.....gouging maybe, but not fraud....but I am sure I will be corrected quickly .....

Old 05-23-2008, 12:01 PM
Administrator

These charges again were CLEARLY stated in the description $5 for the first graded card and $2 per additional card. I dont think this was a huge markup for shipping.

The auctions I looked at made no such mention. I saw 6.00 insured.

Am I looking at the correct auctions? I assume they are the 3 that got the negs?

Also, I thought the person that had the problem here was named Scott?

Or did vintage*investments have a problem with this person (Jim) as well?

Steve

Old 05-23-2008, 12:03 PM
Administrator

This is a seperate issue.....so there are 2 being talked about.

Old 05-23-2008, 12:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Goff

Leon
You are probably right, but when I read these posts saying "I was charged $30 shipping and the seller paid postage was $7" something seems fishy to me. Making close to $20 on over prices shipping charges just rings fraud.

Thanks
David

edited for typo

Old 05-23-2008, 12:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: James Gallo

Not sure you are all up on the new USPS rates. I go to the PO almost every day.

Current rates Priority mail $4.80

Insurance up to $50, 1.70
$100 $2.15
$200 $2.60
$300 $4.60

and is goes up a $1.10 or so per hundred.

I haven't owened any T202 so I don't know how big the slabs are, at $100 worth of cards with insurance it would cost $7.05 plus DC if that was used.

Jim edited his post so I think I missed a lot of the details, so I have no idea of what exactly was charged, what was damaged, and how it was handled.

I would like to hear this spelled out as so far we just have people reacting...

James G

Looking for 1915 Cracker Jacks and 1909-11 American Caramel E90-1.

Old 05-23-2008, 12:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Mt. Joy

Well I was the first to post my issues but from looking at all the post and emails I have recieved I am not the only one who has had trouble.

At first I was against the new feedback policy but after seeing all this I think it may help, sure it can be manipulated but so could the old system. At least now a buyer who pays and does his side of the sale can not be held hostage by the possibilty of a retalitory neg. I know in the past I have held off negging a couple bad sellers because it was over like 10-20 bucks and it was not worth getting a neg over. I think this is going to have a major impact on things like overgrading cards, overcharging on shipping and shoddy packaging, forcing the seller to correct or quit selling.

Old 05-23-2008, 12:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

Assorted notes:

1) It's generally categorized, including on eBay, as 'shipping and handling charge,' rather than shipping charge. In the case of a big auction house, ala Mastro, they may hire someone to do the packaging, so their cost of shipping is much more than just the shipping charge printed on the box.

2) The shipping charge should be stated, and if the shipping charge is stated it's stated. The prudent bidder checks first to see the shipping charge before bidding.

3) The shipping and handling charge should reasonably reflect the shipping and handling cost and effort. I agree that charging $30 to ship a card in a 37 cent stamp envelope is something for the buyer to complain about. Even if the charge was stated, the buyer certainly expected better than a 37 cent stamp envelope.

4) Buyers who complain about being overcharged on shipping almost never bring it up to the seller when they are undercharged. Some would call this transparently hypocritical and self--serving. I just had a buyer add a few bucks to cover shipping cost as he thought my charge was to low-- and he was in London England! Last time an American did that was like 4 years ago.

As a seller, I don't expect or ask sellers to 'make up the difference,' as I know what I'm doing when I pick shipping cost and take responsibility for it. If I offer 'free shipping' I obviously know the USPO charge will be higher than $0. It's just in the context of arguments about sellers overcharging that I find it interesting to think back how many buyers even pointed out that my shipping charge was less than cost.

5) As a buyer, what matters to me is a) Is the charge listed (if the charge is outlandish I will see this before I bid and often will not bid), b) Does the item arrive and securely and c) Was the item packaged properly. Would you believe it that when I receive a package, I often don't even look at the shipping cost on the box?

Old 05-23-2008, 12:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingcardman

It is an issue of common sense and business acumen. If you know that you are getting a break from a buyer of multiple lots, it is common sense and good business sense to pass some of that on to the buyer, even if you don't have to, so you generate good will. Buyers might not recall a favor like that but they definitely will remember feeling gouged if you go the other way. Like last year, when I had some work done at my home that wasn't satisfactory. I made it my mission to tell ten people that the business in question was crappy and had done me wrong. Since my contacts were people looking for work of the sort I had at my house, I know I cost that business ten times what they would have lost making good with me and having me refer them instead. Same idea here. How many people on this board now won't even look at this seller's stuff, all over a few bucks in shipping and some attitude?

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

Old 05-23-2008, 01:02 PM
Administrator

I wanted these cards so I bid and I paid. And I still wouldn't leave a neg as long as the auction stated the charges.

But I agree completely that it's bad business sense, and I won't ever buy multiples from this seller unless it's something I REAALLLLY want.

Old 05-23-2008, 01:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: PC

Leaving negatives solely for clearly stated shipping charges is outrageous. The $6 charge is clearly stated in Jason's auction, and it sounds like Jason gave a discount on the other auction wins. If you don't like a seller's shipping charges, then don't bid, or bid less.

I've purchased from Jim and (I think) Jason before. Sorry, but unless I am missing something here this is bad form on Jim's part.

On a related note, I recently purchased 36 slabbed cards and 1/2 of a 1970s set off eBay from a dealer I've done business with many times before. I paid $80 in shipping -- $4 for the first card, plus $2 for each other card, plus $6 for the 1/2 set. Did I overpay for shipping? Definitely. But the charges were calculated exactly as the seller stated, and I factored the cost into my bids, so I have nothing to complain about. In fact, I'm quite pleased with my wins, and what I paid.

Old 05-23-2008, 01:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

if it is only stated as SHIPPING and it's more than what's put on the package, TECHNICALLY speaking I think it can be considered fraud. It's nothing that anyone would REALLY do anything about though. If it is correctly stated as SHIPPING & HANDLING, then it's pretty much open season. The 'HANDLING' part is wide open for variances like what someone stated back upstream...........Mastro has overhead from employees for packing/shipping, warehouse or office space, etc, so a higher cost for handling than what your average weekend warrior type ebay'er might have. The costs seem steep to me given what it ACTUALLY cost the guy to ship it though. But if it's clear in the email, then not much to gripe about. I like the $6.00 per auction for shipping but will combine costs and then after the auction it's like $6.00 for first and $5.00 for each after that. I've been zinged with a couple of those.

Old 05-23-2008, 01:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rich Klein

Scott Gaynor published an amazingly detailed and honest post about why shipping costs are so high for so many sellers. I don't want to search for that post -- but it explained for professional dealers quite clearly why the shipping costs which seem outreagous are not as bad as they seem.

If someone wants to find that post and lift/carry that post here -- it would show some nice light on the subject

Regards
Rich

Old 05-23-2008, 01:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob C

When I sell on EBay, I charge a flat fee of $5.00 for S&H regardless of final value of item won. In addition I add the ACTUAL COST of USPS postal insurance based upon final value of item won. If the same buyer wins additional auctions the S&H fee does not increase; it remains $5.00 – no multiple “hits” for multiple wins. I clearly state this in my auction instructions.

I break it down like this:

-8-1/2” X 11” padded plastic mailer $0.75

-Bubble Wrap/Tape/Staples/Sharpie/Cardboard (I sometimes recycle the bubble wrap)$0.45

-Pre-printed, VFW return address label for which I pay a donation (I am a Vet)$0.05

-Actual USPS First Class postage (varies by weight) but usually around $1.35

-Gasoline to and from the Post Office, say 10 Miles R/T @ $4.25 Gallon,18 MPG (OK I drive a gas guzzler) = $2.40. No charge for depreciation/wear and tear/maintenance

-My time to and from the Post Office and the maddening indeterminate wait suffered while I watch under-staffed unionized postal workers work at a pace I can only equate to underwater Tai Chi. (OK here comes the bash from all of the unionized postal workers)= NO CHARGE

Five bucks, and with all due respect, I make no apologies for it. Further I may have to increase the S&H if fuel continues its upward spiral.

Old 05-23-2008, 01:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

About two or three months ago, I decided it's just not worth it. Unless its an oversized card like a cabinet or something, I now eat the shipping costs on any card I sell. For a couple of bucks it's just too much of a headache for me to worry about whether buyers are happy with my shipping fees.

-Al

Old 05-23-2008, 02:37 PM
Administrator

Since eBay buyers don't think seller's handling is worth anything, I just leave the box in my alley and hope it finds its way to the Post Office. The boxes are usually gone by early morning, so it appears the boxes know how to handle themselves.

Old 05-23-2008, 03:45 PM
Administrator

As I had earlier posted, I recently hired help in dealing with my eBay items. I simply told the help to send the stuff and gave him a guide on shipping. He tallied every item on multiple items won. I have just recently since Scott's situation dealt with it, and in the future I have made the change.

I for one figure shipping and handling charges in my bids so I dont gripe about it. It does take gas, time, etc. to ship.

Also I have combines shipping and added insurance on multiple items won in the past as well as sent a card to Autralia that cost me $15 that I only received $3 for. That is the type of seller I am. I would make good on any deal. Jim was unreasonable jerk who was tough to deal with. yes, I got the $5 shipping wrong with his items, the T202s were $6.

Jim, what goes around comes around.

Jason

Boxingcardman:

As much as you think your opinion is valid I think it is not. Doesnt matter what you think I should charge, I do not use a label system, I CHOOSE to go to the PO which is my right to do. I do it my way not yours. THe terms are clearly stated in the auction you bid in and Jim was completely wrong here. There is no gray area. The neg was not an appropriate action.

Jason

Old 05-23-2008, 03:55 PM
Administrator

Why all the name calling? It makes you look very bad.

Steve

Old 05-23-2008, 03:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Todd Schultz

there is no helping those who refuse to learn.

Old 05-23-2008, 04:07 PM
Administrator

Again the same two trolls who like to cause trouble. You should be banished to the CU forums forever! Where are you Leon?

All joking aside, Steve I call it as I see it.

Tim-

I would be more than happy to refund you and anyone else for all of those M101s + every dime of shipping. If that keeps you from future bidding, then I am respectfully sorry. As I said many times over, I have nullified the situation.

Jason

Old 05-23-2008, 04:10 PM
Administrator

2 trolls? who is the other?

I have kept my remarks on topic without name calling like you seem to love to do.

Maybe you should step back and think before you call me a troll.

Steve

Old 05-23-2008, 04:36 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the offer of some refunded shipping. No worries-- that transaction is done. If the situation arises again, I'll communicate with you before paying about the possibility of a break on S/H for multiples. In this case I figured it into my bids. And I would never have dreamt of negging you since it was all clear from the outset. I chimed in here just to give some context for what was being said about your shipping charges, which did add up-- So I reported the facts of my experience without embellishment. So, no harm or foul on either side, as far as I'm concerned--

Cheers,
Tim

Old 05-23-2008, 04:42 PM
Administrator

As I have stated many times my definition, concerning this board, of a troll is an anonymous person that is causing trouble. I don't see that happening here.....As long as shipping/handling charges are stated there there should be no griping about them after the fact, imo. Don't bid if you don't like it...

Old 05-23-2008, 04:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Chuck Tapia

It has happened to everyone at E-bay if you trade there enough. For me, the irritation doesn't really arise when I'm over charged for shipping. I think the irritation stems from paying too much and then not getting a decent packaging job in return. In the rare instances that I have over paid for shipping, the bidding isn't nearly as strong no matter how nice the item and then when it comes in the mail, the expectation that the item isn't damaged in transit is higher.

Therefore, if you keep on selling at Ebay, which I wouldn't blame anybody for not, just make sure you give your customer what you'd expect and you should be just fine.

Being irritated by e-bay transaction many of time, I can see how they might leave a negative, though it isn't warranted until they give you a chance to fix it. The feedback system there has reached an all time low.

Old 05-23-2008, 07:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason

Chuck-

I have sold many vintage items on ebay for many years. This is all coming to head simply because of eBay's new crappy feedback system. I agree that Scott's cards were not shipped properly and I have taken care of that, but this thread was started because of another guy negging me for no reason. His cards arrived promptly and just fine with proper packaging. He just wanted to be an arse and negged me. I would bet $1000 that if he knew I could retaliate, then he would have never made an issue out of it. I have sold many, many cards way under market on ebay. He shouldn't take such pride in thinking I wanted to charge him extra for the items selling lower. If I were that kind of person, I just would not have gone through with the transaction. This all makes clear sense if you think about it. Thanks for your input.

Jason

Old 05-23-2008, 09:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Nieves

The new ebay feedback system is designed to, as Mr. Chao would say, separate the wheat from the chaff. And, as we're already starting to see, it's working.

Old 05-23-2008, 10:20 PM
Administrator

Actually Tom,

No it is giving no protection to sellers as we have clearly seen in my case with shoelessjim. There is no buyer recourse so it clearly opens up the floodgates for blackmail and feedback extortion to the sellers. A simple case of one's point to sabatogue a perfectly good seller's feedback. Doesnt matter because I knew it would be a matter of time just as it will be for every 100% seller now.

Jason

Old 05-23-2008, 11:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Hufford

A few years ago, I regularly dealt with an ebay seller who listed autographed cards in groups of 10. And in every auction listing he gave the postage charge as $3. I'd usually win lots for $6-10 each, I'd pay the listed postage charge, and the cards would arrive in an envelop with a single first class stamp on it. That was OK if it was a single lot, I understand about taking time to package it up, etc. But a couple of times I won 5 or more lots at a time, asked the seller if he could combine postage, and he said "No, postage is $3 per lot." So, I paid $15+ postage, and would get the cards in an envelope with less than $1 postage on it. After doing that a few times, and the seller still refusing to combine postage, I simply said "OK, if I'm paying separate postage fees, then send separate packages." I paid for one lot at a time, via Paypal, and didn't send the payment for the second lot until I'd received the first, etc. After a while, the seller agreed with me that perhaps he SHOULD combine postage. I think he probably had some problems with some other customers, too, though, since he finally told me "This just isn't worth it, I'm not making as much as I used to" and I rarely see him listing anything for auction anymore.

Old 05-24-2008, 01:05 AM
Administrator

I agree with Chuck T. Most buyers don't complain about a bit of an overcharge as long as the item is packaged well and delivered in a timely manner. If the seller charges $5 shipping to nicely package a watch in a $3.50 USPO box, very few buyers will complain. It's when the seller charges $15 to ship the watch unprotected in a letter envelope that they will complain.

Most buyers don't have a photographic memory for what they paid for shipping last week Tuesday, and will only bring up the issue if something is noticeably out of whack (watch arrives in paper envelope, no insurance even though remembers being charged for insurance) or they're anal retentive. When the nicely packaged package arrives, most buyers won't remember or particularly care if they paid $4 or $4.50 for shipping.

Old 05-24-2008, 08:02 AM
Administrator

Sellers that do the right things need not worry about buyers leaving negs.

And, before MR. Duncan has a hissy fit I am speaking in general, not specifically about him.

Steve

Old 05-24-2008, 08:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank B

I agree with Toms approach.

Sellers who refuse to combine shipping and also refuse to send the
items individually are clearly trying to gouge. If I have to pay individual
shipping charges for each item I should have the option of receiving each
item individually. You paid for it, you should be able to get what you paid for.

Old 05-24-2008, 09:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

I am going to agree with Steve on this one. A bunch of graded cards and heavy should go priority or as Adam stated, flat rate priority. In this case when it exceeds a certain weight, then yes, the boxes are free. THEY ARE NOT FREE when you are shipping something less than 2lbs. Your customers are getting clobbered. I offer both 1st class and priority mail so it is the buyers choice as insurance should be as well at their risk.

I am sorry but I completely agree with Adam as well. Stating the shipping price shouldn't free you from a negative and doesn't give you a license to steal. This seller would have many more negatives I bet if it wasn't for the fear of retaliation which is what the new system has been rid of.

adding $$$ for each additional auction is trying to get the buyer to pay your ebay fees, not help with shipping. If the weight goes up then yes, add some shipping. Otherwise, 1 or 10 raw cards should cost the same or maybe $1 more max.

Tim, $33 shipping???? How long after that before you could sit down again?? Dan.

oops! I wanted to also state that Jason should not be getting gigged on fair deals just to rack up negatives against him for a few bad deals. That doesn't seem fair.

Old 05-24-2008, 10:43 AM
Administrator

THEY ARE NOT FREE when you are shipping something less than 2lbs.

Not sure I understand you Dan, but, one could send a raw card priority, and get the box for free.

One could send an empty box for that matter.

There is no charge for these boxes other then the fee one pays for their use.

You can get them at your local PO, or order them online from the USPS and your mail man delivers

them to your door.

Before the recent hike I was paying 4.60 to send my orders out Priority.

Not sure what it is now.

The reason (like you mention) is some sellers charge extra for added wins so they can get

some money towards the various fees they incur, Paypal, ebay etc.

Again, if all is noted in the description no one should cry later.

Steve

Old 05-24-2008, 11:16 AM
Administrator

Steve reference my answer to this in another thread to you. You are paying $4.60 to ship something that you could ship in a bubble mailer for $1.37 or a box 1st class for $1.90. PRIORITY BOXES ARE NOT FREE your customers are paying for them. It is really very logical math here Steve. You think the boxes are free as you are not paying for them but your customer now has to pay you $4.60+ for something that they should only be paying $1.37+ for. Not free at all. take care, Dan.

Edited to mention this is why I always offer 1st class and priority. 1st class for the customers that want the reasonable shipping and priority for the fools that think it will get there faster or that it is handled any differently by the post office.

Old 05-24-2008, 11:23 AM
Administrator

Now I understand Dan, but some customers prefer shipment that way.

I guess the 2lbs is what thru me off. Your saying that over 2lbs it is then best to
send priorty?

Sometimes a box is better then a bubble mailer especially for hi end items.

nd the gist of this thread was sellers charging 24 plus dollars to ship items.

It was there that I mentioned priority mail is better suited.

In any event yes the customer is paying for the shipping even though
the boxes are free to use. One could use any box and send priority mail.

Steve

Dan priorty mail can get there faster and it is handled differently.

Bubble mailers will go thru the machine while the boxes won't.

I prefer it as my method of shipping for hi end items.

For me Hi end means 150.00 or higher.

Old 05-24-2008, 11:34 AM
Administrator

Yes Steve it can get there faster but rarely does. Please test this if you haven't though that may get expensive now, as I did a several package test all over the country. Yes bubbles go through a machine but 1st class boxes do not, they are handled exactly as the priority boxes. I an sending out a $700 card on Tuesday, my buyer had the option of 1st class or priority and he chose 1st class. He gets it well packed and in a nice sturdy box. He saved about $2.50 on shipping and will receive the exact same service as a priority box.

Yes the weight really matters, most of what I said only pertains to light items. As you stated and I FULLY agree, anything heavier and priority is a no brainer. As such in Tim's case which I think you were referring to, I am completely with you there Steve, ship those multiple slabs priority because of weight. A nice high end card is just as safe ain a brown box as it is in a red,white and blue one. I offer both 1st class and priority at different costs. Quite honestly if I am bidding on just 1 card I will ask if the seller will ship 1st class if only priority is lisetd. If he refuses, I usually don't bid as light items shipped priority is gouging. Take care Steve, Dan.

Old 05-24-2008, 11:45 AM
Administrator

Like I have stated many times before, my fees were not intended to gouge anyone. If someone purchased 33 items in Tim's case then my helper just did the math and add them up and send the invoice. I ususally cap shipping at $10 no matter what. All of the thousands that have purchased before MArch from me know this. I am very reasonable to work with. I even offered Tim a complete refund in which he denied so I TRY to make people happy. These recent negs are coming from completely unreasonable parties. The latest one even makes no sense. I hope they are sellers too.......what goes around seems to come around. I have always been ready and willing to offer refunds on anything I sell. THere really should be no grounds for negs here. I will be disputing all with eBay but I will not hold my breath. The days of the 100% seller are coming to an end, no matter who you are.

Jason

Old 05-24-2008, 12:44 PM
Administrator

I agree Jason, disputing with ebay is probably a waste of time. Now you said you offered Tim a full refund?? If you cap shipping out at $10 usually, why not just send Tim $23 since he was very happy with the cards? Dan.