NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-11-2010, 11:48 AM
Justin

Default Smoke-Free Environment

I often see card and antique dealers describing their items as having come from "smoke-free environments." What effect does cigarette smoke have on cards? Is the effect minimized if the cards are slabbed?
Old 05-11-2010, 11:50 AM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jupin11 View Post
I often see card and antique dealers describing their items as having come from "smoke-free environments." What effect does cigarette smoke have on cards? Is the effect minimized if the cards are slabbed?
I guess that rules out my tobacco card collection, boy I hope I didn't take a hit. I dont smoke but I'm pretty sure the previous owners may have...
Old 05-11-2010, 11:52 AM
Rob Miller

I personally would love to see Beckett add "Odor" as one of it's measures.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:58 AM
Chris

I think they just plug that into all of their descriptions. They sell stuff like clothing, garments, dolls, etc. that can "collect" odors and can be a real bummer.

Me personally, I like smelling old cards...am I the only one?
Old 05-11-2010, 12:04 PM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jupin11 View Post
I thought this was just a bad smell thing - cigarette odor stays with something and might not be appealing to a buyer.

edited to add: I believe some folks have allergic reactions to smoke as well which may be another reason.

Last edited by Matt; 05-11-2010 at 12:58 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:07 PM
Rich v@n He$$

In theory, prolonged exposure to smoke could cause some amount of discoloration, but if the cards are exposed enough to be damaged by smoke, they're probably much more severly damaged by light and wear-n-tear.

I respectfully place myself in line for Wonkaticket's collection should he decide to rid himself of such contamination. I'll even speak well of you to everyone I know.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:22 PM

The answer is some people don't like their stuff to smell like smoke.

I don't think it's a big deal with a baseball card, but, as you can imagine, many people don't want a shirt to smell like someone else's smoke.

If you are a smoker-- if the cards are stored normally (in boxes, holders, not displayed 24/7 on your coffee table), I doubt your smoking will have effect on the cards.

Last edited by drc; 05-11-2010 at 12:33 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:42 PM
T0dd M@rcum

I once sold a lot from a guy who was a HEAVY smoker and it did have a little odor...I expect it dissapated.

I am more concerned about my ballcards being dolphin-free.
Old 05-11-2010, 04:01 PM

One time I bought a scrapbook on ebay and when the thing arrived you could smell the item through the box and tape! It made my office smell like I was a chain smoker so I took it outside and pulled out what I wanted and just threw the rest away it was so bad (nothing valuable, a bunch of newspaper clippings etc). I had no idea things could stink so bad from cigarette exposure over the years but this was also a large book with lots of things to absorb the smell. I cant imagine one card could get that bad. I think it is normally a clothing/apolstry thing where it can be a big issue.
Old 05-11-2010, 04:18 PM
Jim D

if you want to know what smoking does to cards, find a heavy smoker who has live in one place for an extended period of time. Then take a cloth with cleaner on it and wipe one spot on a wall for about 30 seconds..... See the nasty difference?

It is better to be quiet and thought of as a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt!!
Old 05-12-2010, 02:08 AM
Isaac Lane

Personally, I support old tobacco cards, and I support the tobacco! I guess if you sat there and consistently blew smoke directly at the cards, that yellow stain would occur!
Old 05-12-2010, 03:08 AM

The previous post was correct with allergies. I also (if I remember) list items "smoke & pet free." While nothing serious, I have an allergic reaction to cats. It has never manifested itself from a card, I do it as a courtesy after I was once asked about a clothing article being sold.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:43 AM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

When publications come from a smokers home, they can reek (as mentioned above). There is nothing that you can do about it either. I once bought a great vintage collection of yearbooks....but everything smelled like cigarettes. I tried kitty litter, fresh air, etc. Eventually I threw it all away...it had no value.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:43 AM
Patrick N.

Default I once

I once bought an autographed Dan Marino jersey from a smoker. When I picked it up the whole house reeked of smoke so the Marino jersey itself did not stand out. Once I got to the show and displayed it, every person that looked at it commented about the smell of smoke on the jersey. By show's end, I practically had to beg a dealer to trade for it...To the smoker: you might not notice the smell of smoke on all your stuff but to a non-smoker you and your stuff stink to high-heaven.

Last edited by mintacular; 05-12-2010 at 08:44 AM.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:32 AM

Wow, being bashed on the Net54 Board for smoking! That's a first. You can smoke and also not smoke in your house and keep your cards in safes so they smell minty fresh just like in the home of a guy who has never picked up a butt in his life. By the way, even most smoking collectors realize the smell attendant with smoking and are turned off by the smell on paper and clothing memorabilia, we didn't lose our olfactory senses.