NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-07-2018, 10:36 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Default Valuation

Toughest thing about buying anything is that valuations at the upper end of any market always look stupid. Every successful stock always looks overpriced. Google looked like a crappy deal at 100. I remember when Amazon was 25 and pundits were saying steer clear.

In 1999 I sold a condo in NYC for way more than I bought it for. I thought the buyers were insane. I felt guilty at the closing. That condo is now worth 5 x what I sold it for.

I then bought a house in the burbs. Everyone told me we really overpaid. One of my new neighbors drove buy rolled down car window and started mocking me for what I paid. Now of course it is worth way more.

Everything I have ever bought in my life that I was convinced I really overpaid for turned out to be a smart move. And almost everytime I went the cheap route it fell flat. (Cars are the exception, because they are always a waste of money and not an investment.)

Not saying every card is going to appreciate in value. But be careful before you laugh at the stupid price some guy just spent on a Goudey Ruth or Ruth rookie. 5 years from now will probably be higher.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 01-07-2018 at 10:37 AM.
Old 01-07-2018, 10:45 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Steve, if you could go back and read a lot of old posts, I feel the same way. I have excitedly paid record high prices for a ton of cards. And all but a few have been great buys, when looking back, with respect to valuation in the future. Even my star card, the E90-1 Young, was a record high price paid. And I couldn't be happier with it and am quite sure it is more valuable today.
Old 01-07-2018, 11:01 AM
Sam Sw@rtz

As a VCP record-holder myself on a couple cards, I agree with the sentiment here. One of my hobby mentors once told me that you can't "overpay" for quality cards; you can just pay its future price early.

Of course, I don't believe that applies to all cards, or perhaps even most, but I firmly believe centered HoFers from the most collected pre-war sets should do well. And if they don't, I don't care - they deliver a ton of intrinsic value for me. My retirement is not dependent on my collection.

Edited to add: Steve, your neighbor sounds like a dick. Who wouldn't want someone to pay high in their own neighborhood?

Last edited by mechanicalman; 01-07-2018 at 11:04 AM.
Old 01-07-2018, 11:08 AM
Steven

Sam is a smart dude.

I recently overpaid for a PC as of 1/12018...by 8/1/2018 I bet its s deal. That's not why I buy, but I do try to buy things early that I think will sky rocket and overpaying now versus not being able to afford it later is a no brainer for me. Enjoy the hobby, its not all about the $$$.
Old 01-07-2018, 11:08 AM
Hank Thomas

The wealthy know that it pays to buy the best, but the problem comes in having the wherewithal to do that. The rest of us are stuck with the reverse--and more difficult--proposition: buy low, sell high.
Old 01-07-2018, 11:09 AM
Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankphenom View Post
The wealthy know that it pays to buy the best, but the problem comes in having the wherewithal to do that. The rest of us are stuck with the reverse--and more difficult--proposition: buy low, sell high.
Then there's the buy low, don't sell model...I like that one better.
Old 01-07-2018, 11:12 AM
T0dd M@rcum

Personally, I accept my collection as a hobby...it's a good hobby, one that should at worst be worth what I have in it. But as such I don't ever buy cards as investments. My IRA/401K is an investment. My business is an investment. My cards are a hobby. For that reason, a lot of time I end up with low to mid grade sets and am happy in them.
Old 01-07-2018, 11:24 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainier2004 View Post
Then there's the buy low, don't sell model...I like that one better.
Buy low sell high is a beautiful thing. My experience has been that buy high sell higher is a lot more common.
Old 01-07-2018, 11:31 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Really just a variation on the old adage “buy the best house you can afford”.
Old 01-07-2018, 04:27 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Disagree with the sentiments in this thread. The way to wealth isn't via overpaying. Rather a silly notion if you ask me.
Old 01-07-2018, 04:42 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

When I was a kid I used to hound my old man about buying the inverted Jenny airmail stamp. (You may know what it is, US airmail stamp with airplane upside down.) In 1971 some lunatic bought a plate block (4) of them for $150,000. At the time it was considered sheer insanity. There were headlines in the paper about the craziness of it. Today it's probably worth north of 5 million. During the same period of time thousands of US stamps that are hoarded away by folks have stayed flat or gone down in value. I am sure the same thing is true with baseball cards.

It's not about overpaying. It's about paying more than anyone else for something that is a genuine scarcity and having the vision that demand for it will grow over time.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 01-07-2018 at 04:48 PM.
Old 01-07-2018, 04:53 PM
Sam Sw@rtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
Disagree with the sentiments in this thread. The way to wealth isn't via overpaying. Rather a silly notion if you ask me.
I don’t believe this thread is about the “way to wealth” through baseball cards.
Old 01-07-2018, 04:57 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Whenever the topic of what cards are good investments comes up, I mention that it's not just the card but what you pay for it. Paying more than market price, or even at market price, is bad investing practice.

I also think asking "what is a good investment?" is a sign of myopic financial thinking, but that's another topic.

Last edited by drcy; 01-07-2018 at 05:03 PM.
Old 01-07-2018, 05:24 PM
Jimmy

education is the key to everything, even this hobby!

Jimmy
Old 01-07-2018, 05:38 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
As a VCP record-holder myself on a couple cards, I agree with the sentiment here. One of my hobby mentors once told me that you can't "overpay" for quality cards; you can just pay its future price early.

Of course, I don't believe that applies to all cards, or perhaps even most, but I firmly believe centered HoFers from the most collected pre-war sets should do well. And if they don't, I don't care - they deliver a ton of intrinsic value for me. My retirement is not dependent on my collection.

Edited to add: Steve, your neighbor sounds like a dick. Who wouldn't want someone to pay high in their own neighborhood?
I agree on both points. Many cards are very tough to find with excellent eye appeal for the grade. When one is available it's often worth it to break a record. Any time I've done this I haven't had a problem getting out of the card later.

And I would welcome any neighbor who overpays for a house in my neighborhood. I'm not in real estate, but I'm pretty sure prices are usually based on what comparable homes have sold for. Maybe the guy didn't want his property taxes going up.
Old 01-07-2018, 07:18 PM
Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
I don’t believe this thread is about the “way to wealth” through baseball cards.
Yeah, I didn't read that was the topic of the thread either.

Drcy - sometime you simply have to "overpay" according to the market, if I feel its worth it that I am just paying market value. When there are 6 or examples that exist of a card, buying something privately can actually save money as it can blow up in an auction. Glad we disagree...
Old 01-07-2018, 07:39 PM

Default Cardboard Investment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Toughest thing about buying anything is that valuations at the upper end of any market always look stupid. Every successful stock always looks overpriced. Google looked like a crappy deal at 100. I remember when Amazon was 25 and pundits were saying steer clear.

In 1999 I sold a condo in NYC for way more than I bought it for. I thought the buyers were insane. I felt guilty at the closing. That condo is now worth 5 x what I sold it for.

I then bought a house in the burbs. Everyone told me we really overpaid. One of my new neighbors drove buy rolled down car window and started mocking me for what I paid. Now of course it is worth way more.

Everything I have ever bought in my life that I was convinced I really overpaid for turned out to be a smart move. And almost everytime I went the cheap route it fell flat. (Cars are the exception, because they are always a waste of money and not an investment.)

Not saying every card is going to appreciate in value. But be careful before you laugh at the stupid price some guy just spent on a Goudey Ruth or Ruth rookie. 5 years from now will probably be higher.
+1 - it’s rather quite simple...buy premium Babe Ruth memorabilia because today’s retail is typically tomorrow’s wholesale!

Last edited by Vintageclout; 01-07-2018 at 07:44 PM.
Old 01-08-2018, 08:20 AM
Larry Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
I agree on both points. Many cards are very tough to find with excellent eye appeal for the grade. When one is available it's often worth it to break a record. Any time I've done this I haven't had a problem getting out of the card later.

And I would welcome any neighbor who overpays for a house in my neighborhood. I'm not in real estate, but I'm pretty sure prices are usually based on what comparable homes have sold for. Maybe the guy didn't want his property taxes going up.
Bingo on the house. If you aren't going to sell, why in the world would you want higher taxes.
My parents pay more in taxes the the house cost 35yrs ago. Sure uses to make him cranky tax time.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:30 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by itslarry View Post
Bingo on the house. If you aren't going to sell, why in the world would you want higher taxes.
My parents pay more in taxes the the house cost 35yrs ago. Sure uses to make him cranky tax time.
As for taxes, Ag exemption is the way to go ....Ya' just have to fit the mold. At a house we own, nearby, we lease 3 acres to someone raising sheep so those 3 acres are ag exempt for tax purposes. And for where we live, in Texas it's 6 acres and 6 beehives to be an apiary. Love helping nature and me at the same time. (see Texas guidelines for an agricultural exemption). Oh, what were we talking, value? I say, diversify and buy wisely. And Cards CAN be an investment but it's risky too.
Every thread needs eye candy. Happy Collecting....

Old 01-12-2018, 09:38 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I would happily put a few alpacas in my backyard if I could swing a tax deduction. But I've heard they are nasty and not much fun.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 01-12-2018 at 09:38 AM.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:42 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
One of my new neighbors drove buy rolled down car window and started mocking me for what I paid.
WTF? How neighborly.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:44 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
Paying more than market price, or even at market price, is bad investing practice.
I'd like to hear more about all these investments you're getting at below market price.
Old 01-12-2018, 06:36 PM

I don't see past card sales or trends as an indicator of future values. To me card collecting is most satisfying when approached as a hobby.