NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-06-2006, 05:25 PM
Administrator

Default What exactly IS high grade?

Posted By: Ryan Christoff

I can understand why a collector would want to collect the best cards in the highest grades, but I was thinking about this idea that "high grade" has to mean PSA or SGC graded 7 or higher. My question for high grade collectors is, do you really only collect cards in no less than 7 (or 8 or whatever), or is there room in your collections for cards that are 3s and 4s when that's the highest grade that exists for that particular issue?

I have no problem with someone only wanting cards in 7 or better, just like I have no problem with someone collecting William Orsatti cards. This post is not meant to judge the way anyone collects. I am actually just curious because there are many great issues that are either so rare, or so condition-sensitive, that no card could ever meen the minimum grade requirement of some collectors. Does that mean they would never collect a card from that issue?

Obviously, just because something is graded 7 or higher, it doesn't mean it's high grade. Just like it doesn't automatically mean it's trimmed.

The concept I'm talking about is a pretty basic one that I'm sure we can all understand. Certain cards aren't hard to find near-mint or mint examples of. And certain cards are literally impossible to find even EX examples of, making VG-EX the highest possible condition. I would argue for cards to be viewed on a "curve," so to speak. Normally, a 9 would be an "A". But when there are no 9s, the next highest example would become the "A" since there isn't anything above that.

I guess this is a long-winded way of asking high grade collectors, do you view it in a similar way, or do you have absolutes such as "NOTHING less than a 7, no matter what."?

I make no judgement either way, but am interested in the subject matter since most of what I personally collect is impossible to find in grades like 7 or 8.

To be clear, I'm not particularly interested in hearing from low grade (a.k.a. "true") collectors who collect low grade because they can't afford high grade. It seems like some people have a lot of bitterness about the collecting habits of others, and I can't help but wonder if there isn't more to that, like maybe being envious of the wealth and means some guys have to spend on cards. I can't afford that stuff either, but it doesn't bug me that others do. I wish I had that kind of cash, but I don't. Not accusing anyone specifically, so no need to post here to defend yourself. I'm really not attacking anyone. Isn't it sad that I need to put all those disclaimers in there in order to give this thread a shot at staying on-topic? That's a rhetorical question.

Here's a better illustration of what I'm talking about. One of the cards below is high grade and one is not. In fact, one is the highest graded example from that particular issue. Which is which?

-Ryan

Old 05-06-2006, 05:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Erland Stevens

Great registration on that Canseco!

Seriously, I collect low grade because it's what I can afford. My problem is the opposite of the high-end collectors. Sometimes I wonder, when will someone sell a card in bad enough shape for me to get it?!? - if only there was another crease across his face, or too bad that card has a clean back.

Old 05-06-2006, 06:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

OK. I give up. I entered "William Orsatti" in baseballreference.com and came up empty. Who is he?

Never mind. I just read the other thread and saw that William Orsatti was once the proud owner of 33 Goudey Gehrig.

Old 05-06-2006, 06:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Evanov

"I guess this is a long-winded way of asking high grade collectors, do you view it in a similar way, or do you have absolutes such as "NOTHING less than a 7, no matter what."?
"

Ryan, for me it depends on the set. For 1957 Topps baseball, I only look for "9"'s. For T206's, I'm thrilled with "5"'s and "6"'s.

Frank

Old 05-06-2006, 06:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian C. Daniels

" +++ "

I love you Charlie!

Old 05-06-2006, 06:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

William Orsatti is the name written on the front of Jay's Goudey Gehrig. All such condition cards will henceforth be referred to as "Bills".

Old 05-06-2006, 07:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: cmoking

I am like Frank...it depends on the set. For one set, I only want PSA 7 or PSA 8. For another set, I'll take PSA 6 thru PSA 8. For yet another, I'll take PSA or SGC 3 - 5. For yet others, I'll take any grade even trimmed cards.

I do know some collectors that will only collect PSA 7 and higher cards. If a set doesn't have a decent enough of a population of PSA 7 or higher, then they just won't bother collecting those sets...no matter how rare or how interesting the set may be. These people will refuse a PSA 6 card even if they need it for their set. They'll just wait for a 7 or 8 to show up. This is the way they collect. I collect differently. Others collect differently than me.

Old 05-06-2006, 07:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimCrandell

I too think that high grade depends on the age of the card with the caveat that nothing under a 7 is ever high grade.

My cut off would be in pre-war a 7 can be a high grade. For 1948-69 a 8 is high grade and from 1970 to the present it needs to be a 9 to be in high grade.

Great topic!

Old 05-06-2006, 10:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Al Crisafulli

"I too think that high grade depends on the age of the card with the caveat that nothing under a 7 is ever high grade."

I don't think it's as black and white as that.

The set I know the most about is probably 1938 Goudey. Of all the REGISTERED, GRADED sets out there, mine is currently the #5 set. It has a GPA of less than 6. It is one of only five complete REGISTERED sets in existence. As far as I know, the first three - all with GPAs of 8 - were built ten years ago. For the issue, I would consider my set to be "high grade", since precisely zero cards have graded a 10, 16 have graded a 9, and 310 have graded an 8. Most of the cards in the set have fewer than ten total examples in 7 or higher.

What does a high-grade George C Miller set look like? Or a high-grade W502 set? Has anyone ever seen a high-grade Lections?

For me, like Mantlefan and Cmoking, it depends on the set and how I've chosen to collect it. Probably the best cross-section for me is my HOF collection. It's a type card collection. Generally, I look for the highest-grade cards for this collection that make sense for me, based on the issue and cost. For example, more recent issues I look for SGC 88 or better. The older the card gets, the more scarce the issue, or the more important the card, the lower grade I will accept. When I settle on a particular card that I want to add to my HOF collection, I look for the best-presenting card I can find that fits within my budget. So, for example, I can afford a 1991 Topps Desert Storm Eddie Murray in SGC 96. But my Goudey Ruth is an SGC 40.

One thing for sure - I am fascinated by learning about how everyone else collects. Whether they be all PSA 8 like Jim, or all raw beaters like some of the OBC guys, all prewar type cards like Leon, all cards of a particular player or team, it just shows me how diverse and interesting everyone's choices are - and I'm consistently amazed by all of them.

-Al