NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 02-15-2018, 06:48 PM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

Default Mickey Mantle Game Bat A9

Is the game used bat market soft right now? Was this a good buy? I would have thought a Mantle gamer graded a 9 that is directly tied to a 1955 order with great use would have brought more than $12.7k. This bat sold last night on eBay from Probstein none the less lol. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F362235360489

REA sold this bat in 2009 for $17.6k
http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/...pro-model-bat/
Old 02-15-2018, 07:29 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Another #metoo casualty
Old 02-15-2018, 09:29 PM
Rob

I’m not seeing the “heavy” use and ball marks.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:38 PM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

It was pointed out in the REA description that the bat was consigned directly from Troy Kinunen's own collection. Graded by him and consigned by him
Old 02-16-2018, 03:24 AM
Brock

Probably has more to deal with the letters being on the knob, which point the bat being used by someone else and not all by Mantle. Another reason is probably Mears aint regarded that high anymore in this hobby..
Old 02-16-2018, 08:23 AM
M@rk Lu7z

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post
Probably has more to deal with the letters being on the knob, which point the bat being used by someone else and not all by Mantle. Another reason is probably Mears aint regarded that high anymore in this hobby..
I also think that this is a big factor. If I understand it correctly, MEARS sold the bat originally at auction for 11K. Later, the bat sold at REA for 17K. It then sold at ebay for 12.7 K. These are all low for a MEARS 9 Mantle. Wouldn't PSA/DNA lower the number from a 9 to a 7 or 6 because of another player's initials appearing on the bat?
Old 02-16-2018, 09:57 AM
Rick

Mantle Adirondack bats always bring less money than H&B bats. And clearly, having initials carved in the knob casts doubt on who really used this bat. You can say Mantle used it, then gave it to someone who carved their own initials in it, but collectors prefer not having "story" bats.

And the issue of having Mears ownership and grading is also a factor. There was a time when collectors sought out dealers like Dave Bushing for their opinions and willingly bought from them. But times have changed (with good reason), and collectors strongly prefer independent evaluations.

Rick
Old 02-16-2018, 10:09 AM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlevy View Post
Mantle Adirondack bats always bring less money than H&B bats. And clearly, having initials carved in the knob casts doubt on who really used this bat. You can say Mantle used it, then gave it to someone who carved their own initials in it, but collectors prefer not having "story" bats.

And the issue of having Mears ownership and grading is also a factor. There was a time when collectors sought out dealers like Dave Bushing for their opinions and willingly bought from them. But times have changed (with good reason), and collectors strongly prefer independent evaluations.

Rick
This is an H & B bat

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection
Old 02-16-2018, 10:13 AM
Rick

Yikes, need more coffee.
Old 02-23-2018, 07:58 AM

With no disrespect to the buyer…I suspect this is likely a Pro Stock bat, and people bid accordingly. I have learned, that for decades teams have ordered bats for their minor league affiliates. These pro stock bats were branded with a player name. If the Yankees, for example, ordered K55 models for the minor league teams the bats came with Mantle's name on the barrel. R43 models had Berra's name, D29's had DiMaggio. Most teams would do this.

Pro Stock bats are generally cut in even lengths 33, 34 35 inch etc. And, most noticeably, the wood is inferior to professional grade (you can tell by the grain). The fact that it has someone else's initials carved into the knob, and that it doesn't exhibit heavy "Mantle-type" use, further points to this being used by someone other than Mantle.

Regarding if Mantle game used bats are soft right now...They are not. Take a look at the prices in Heritage's current Platinum offering. Pretty robust.
Old 02-23-2018, 08:05 AM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVSNYC View Post
With no disrespect to the buyer…I suspect this is likely a Pro Stock bat, and people bid accordingly. I have learned, that for decades teams have ordered bats for their minor league affiliates. These pro stock bats were branded with a player name. If the Yankees, for example, ordered K55 models for the minor league teams the bats came with Mantle's name on the barrel. R43 models had Berra's name, D29's had DiMaggio. Most teams would do this.

Pro Stock bats are generally cut in even lengths 33, 34 35 inch etc. And, most noticeably, the wood is inferior to professional grade (you can tell by the grain). The fact that it has someone else's initials carved into the knob, and that it doesn't exhibit heavy "Mantle-type" use, further points to this being used by someone other than Mantle.

Regarding if Mantle game used bats are soft right now...They are not. Take a look at the prices in Heritage's current Platinum offering. Pretty robust.
Good points but how do you explain that MEARS says this is from a documented order by Mantle in 1955?
Old 02-23-2018, 09:31 AM

Looks like MEARS is labeling this bat 1950-1960, but there’s more than one labeling period during the 1950’s (see Vince Malta’s book). The bat appears to actually be from 59/60 (so the order from 1955 is possibly a pro stock order or team index, rather than Mantle personally, I can't speak to that). Mears doesn’t break it down further. Without provenance and strong player characteristics, (and with the carved initials) it’s tough to call the bat a Mantle gamer for sure.
Old 02-23-2018, 01:05 PM
Jonathan Sterling

I know I am gonna get bashed for saying this but here goes. If I was thinking about a Mantle gamer I would not consider one without PSA as one of the tpg. I have maybe 15 game used bats most from 500 HR Hitters and all have multiple authentication. The key reason I am far from an expert on game used bats and they are expensive. I like when they are sourced direct from athlete and authenticated by PSA. That gives me warm and fuzzy.
In the very early 1980's my Dad bought a Johnny Bench "gamer" from a guy who represented Bench Rose Carlton etc. Whitey something if I recall. A couple years later Mr. Bench is at a show I get it signed he asks where I got it I say Whitey ..he says it's a gamer, and signs it. 20 years later, I get interested in bats start learning a bit. I look at my Bench bat and it has no ball marks no cleat masrks it is clean as a whistle. I find a couple guys at Philly show and ask them and both say based on numbers it was ordered by Bench as a gift bat. So I learned a lesson now I look carefully at a bat to make sure I agree with documentation.( I learned heavy moderate and light ball marks do not mean the same thing to any 2 people) and I look to a tpg to catch the things I still don't know.
If I was new owner of that Mantle bat I would submit it asap to a tpg maybe 2. Because the value of a maybe gamer vs a definite stock bat is considerable.
Old 02-23-2018, 01:28 PM

Jonathan, agreed...I personally wouldn't buy a bat without a PSA/DNA Letter. I have just a handful of bats (all are pretty special, and significant), and all have full PSA/DNA LOAs.

Last edited by MVSNYC; 02-23-2018 at 01:52 PM.
Old 02-23-2018, 05:03 PM
M@rk Lu7z

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVSNYC View Post
Looks like MEARS is labeling this bat 1950-1960, but there’s more than one labeling period during the 1950’s (see Vince Malta’s book). The bat appears to actually be from 59/60 (so the order from 1955 is possibly a pro stock order or team index, rather than Mantle personally, I can't speak to that). Mears doesn’t break it down further. Without provenance and strong player characteristics, (and with the carved initials) it’s tough to call the bat a Mantle gamer for sure.
I take it that you are looking at the rounded G in "GENUINE" when you date the bat to 59-60. Interesting.

I have had good experience with MEARS over the years, but I can't fault anyone for wanting more than one opinion on an important bat.