NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 09-17-2014, 08:13 PM
Michael calv.ello

Default 1909 World Champion Pirates

I posted this Magnificent 1909 World Champions Original GELATIN SILVER Pirates photo back in July around the same time I posted the shoeless Joe Jackson military panoramic photo. I asked net54 members back in July to help me identify both photos. No one at that time paid any attention to the posts. One members comment yesterday said that "every photo I post I see someone famous" I ask that Member where was he back in July? If I had the many comments directed at me over the last two days on the Joe Jackson Panoramic Photo, I wouldn't have consigned to Huggins & Scott. But again, no comments back then even though I asked for help over and over again. Well here is another photo I posted back in July that will be auctioned by Huggins & Scott. Does everyone see the Great Honus Wagner? Let me know what you experts think! I can still pull it even though this exact photo sold at auction in 2007 for $3,000. Thank you as always for any help you can provide. Regards, Michael Calvello
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1858.jpg (77.6 KB, 357 views)

Last edited by EVAJOY91; 09-17-2014 at 08:25 PM. Reason: SPELL CHECK
Old 09-17-2014, 08:35 PM
Belltown Vintage

I would suggest working with us, rather than against us.

After all - you chose to participate in this forum with us.
Old 09-17-2014, 08:37 PM

Ah, so the whole thing was the board's fault.

Greg
Old 09-17-2014, 08:47 PM
Michael calv.ello

Default 1909 World Champion Pirates Reply to Thread

Scott, Ithrough i was. When I started to post my newly purchased items BACK IN JULY, I asked for help in identifying the items and what the value is in today's market. Many members looked at my posts and left little comments. I did get comments as to how i could buy items without knowing what they were and of it's value. I explained that i have been in this hobby since 1989 and that I collected 1950's memorabilia. I just started to dab in late 1800's - early 1900's collectables. I asked for help but all i got was members complaining about my to many postings and how i could buy items i had no idea of what it was and of it's value. Well, I had no idea and I asked for help. The only time I heard from many members who commented on my post is when I went it alone and believed what I purchase was what I was told. I wanted to work with the members. That's why I joined. The way I was beat up over a photo I previously asked for info on two month prior, was unfair. It felt like a gang attack and I bowed out gracefully and did the right thing. I listened to the members and pulled the item. I just wished the members would have listened to me back in July when I asked for help.

Last edited by EVAJOY91; 09-17-2014 at 08:52 PM.
Old 09-17-2014, 08:56 PM
Michael calv.ello

Default 1909 World Champion Pirates

No, Again. I never said that I just wanted to tell you the Facts. That's all there is. No more, No less. I take full responsibility. But when you join a team you believe that members have your back. I didn't know and I asked for help. That's all there is. Thank you all for the help and I have learned from this.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:03 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVAJOY91 View Post
The only time I heard from many members who commented on my post is when I went it alone and believed what I purchase was what I was told.
If you bought the Jackson, Walker and Rusie photos, paying for them as if those people were in them, then I can understand your frustration. I can't imagine buying any photo like any of those, without first id'ing the questionable players, much less three of them, and certainly not without knowing what I was doing, which you admittedly didn't/don't. That would be like me jumping into the baseball card hobby by purchasing cards of star players in sets that are known to have reprints, or starting off my autograph collecting with a Babe Ruth baseball. It's just not very bright.

Also, you apparently aren't understanding how tired some members get of seeing these types of photos on the forum, that clearly have only a minimal chance of being what the poster claims they are. It is a tired enough thing that, as I mentioned previously, I now generally just close the thread without commenting. The only reason your Jackson photo got my attention, was that now you've to Huggins and Scott auctioning your stuff. That's a hugely negative thing for our hobby, so yes, now you have our attention, whereas before you did not.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:00 AM
Michael calv.ello

Default 1909 World Champions Pirates

Thank you again Scott. I purchased Military Panoramic along with this 1909 Pirates Photo. I also purchased 10 other items. All was from collector. 11 items turned out fine. Regards again and thanks for the help of all Net54 Members.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:14 AM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

Quote:
I posted this Magnificent 1909 World Champions Original GELATIN SILVER Pirates photo back in July around the same time I posted the shoeless Joe Jackson military panoramic photo. I asked net54 members back in July to help me identify both photos. No one at that time paid any attention to the posts. One members comment yesterday said that "every photo I post I see someone famous" I ask that Member where was he back in July? If I had the many comments directed at me over the last two days on the Joe Jackson Panoramic Photo, I wouldn't have consigned to Huggins & Scott. But again, no comments back then even though I asked for help over and over again. Well here is another photo I posted back in July that will be auctioned by Huggins & Scott. Does everyone see the Great Honus Wagner? Let me know what you experts think! I can still pull it even though this exact photo sold at auction in 2007 for $3,000. Thank you as always for any help you can provide. Regards, Michael Calvello

You posted this same sarcastic garbage at the end of the Jackson post, but you didn't get enough attention for it there so you started a new thread. Bravo.

he Pittsburgh piece is still killer though. I'd have a hard time parting with it.

Last edited by Econteachert205; 09-18-2014 at 11:09 AM.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:36 AM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Quote:
Thank you again Scott. I purchased Military Panoramic along with this 1909 Pirates Photo. I also purchased 10 other items. All was from collector. 11 items turned out fine. Regards again and thanks for the help of all Net54 Members.
I'm curious as to what were the other 10 items. I hope the other stuff you've posted here aren't among the 10 you are counting. So far only 2 items you have posted have turned out to be what you told us they were. The Pittsburgh photo above and the Gehrig items. The rest you posted are not "fine"

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 09-18-2014, 12:44 PM
G@ry Cier@dkowski

I posted this in the Jackson thread, but it applies here as well since you are still saying that no one replied to your post a few months ago:

I can't speak for anyone else, but I gently questioned Joe Jackson and his military career when you posted this photo earlier. This is what I wrote:

"I'm not a Shoeless Joe expert by any stretch, but didn't he avoid serving in the war by leaving the White Sox a few weeks into the 1918 season and getting employed at Bethlehem Steel shipyards in Wilmington, Delaware? I recall reading that Comiskey had some very choice words to say about what he felt was Jackson avoiding the draft by playing ball for Bethlehem Steel under the ruse of a war-production job. The Chicago sportswriters really let Jackson have it as well.

Did he join the Army at the tail end of the war? I'm curious what the story is behind the picture. "

You didn't add any answers to the thread and then started another with the same picture.
Old 09-19-2014, 03:41 PM
Dave Grob

Default Solicitations for Information and Opinions

Dear Mr. Calvello,

I don’t pretend or presume to speak for other members of the forum, so I won’t. That being said, I will share some thoughts or things to consider as they relate to times when I am asked for information as this is something that happens with some regularity and has for years. Should you wish to canvas board members on their sentiments, that is up to you. Please know I am not inferring or suggesting that you have ever directly asked for my input on anything. Rather, I am just trying to establish some context for my remarks.

1. As both a personal and professional courtesy, I always appreciate knowing who it is that I am dealing with. As such, I rarely respond to emails that have no name associated with them.

2. We all collect and part and parcel to this is buying and selling. I typically don’t provide information to dealers since they hold themselves out to be authoritative individuals on the items they buy and sell. They expect to be compensated for the purchases they make through their sales or transactions they broker. With this comes the responsibility to be educated in their particular product line. This goes equally as well for auction houses. I don’t have a problem answering a question from a collector who in turn might sell the item later, but when I begin to see a pattern of this, I tend to group that individual into the dealer bin, or an individual or organization who is looking for uncompensated advice or information to further their personal business interests, and doing so at the expense of my time and the time and resources I have spent money on to form the basis of my opinion.

3. Asking me for information or an opinion conveys to me that you are interested in what I have to say. While the person may not like or agree with what I offer, my response is two things: A, it is gratis and B, it is meant to be a data point for you to consider. What that person decides to do with it is up to them, and while it is often healthy to debate differences of opinion, once the rationale of my opinion or information is conveyed and my opinion hasn’t changed, I don’t appreciate being challenged with the same information I saw differently from the outset. In short, being asked and expected to answer the same question over and over again.

As stated in the outset, just some personal thoughts on solicitations for information and opinions as it appears you are looking for insights on why folks respond to requests for information or opinions in the way they do.

Respectfully,

Dave Grob
DaveGrob1@aol.com