NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 04-08-2023, 03:57 PM
Gary

Default Reconstructing a 1956 Oak Premier Card/Gumball Machine Decal

I recently picked up a 1956 Oak Premier Card vending machine. It's in really nice condition but the decal on the machine has had a bit of wear.

So, being a tinkerer, I've been working to recreate a replacement decal. My plan is to keep the original glass and decal and store it safely but recreate the decal and apply it to a replacement glass piece. Then I can display the machine with the new glass and decal but still retain the original should I ever come to sell it.

I wanted to share my progress. It's taken a while to perfect my skills in Photoshop. But so far, it's coming along nicely.

Step 1: I scanned the original and imported it into Photoshop.
Step 2: I checked that the image was the same size as the original and had a resolution of 600dpi.
Steps 3-1000: I recolored the scanned image, filling in the missing bits. The hardest part was the letters. I had to manually recreate these. The original scan didn't work great when they were zoomed in so I became a bit of an expert with the Photoshop Curvature Pen Tool.

My first attempt wasn't bad but I needed to thicken up the lines. I think attempt 2 looks pretty darn good. When I print these on waterslide decal paper the image looks good against a light surface but against a dark surface (or when it's in the machine the colors don't show up great). You can see this from the photos below - you'll see that the grain on my desk, doesn't show through the yellow on the original decal but it does on my attempts.

I also noticed that the red on my 1st 2 attempts wasn't red enough. I've fixed this in my 3rd version.

I've also found out that professional printers apply a white undercoat to the areas where color are printed. That makes them stand out more.

I found a printing house on-line where they do this technique. I should receive my decal back from them next week. I'll post the results.

Let me know you're thoughts and if you have any tips, I'll be happy to have those too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20230306_215153.jpg (185.8 KB, 217 views)
File Type: jpg 20230406_175508.jpg (204.4 KB, 214 views)
Old 04-08-2023, 04:16 PM
Rocky Rockwell

Default Opinion

I kind of like the look of the original myself…. looks authentically aged. But the redo is pretty good also… however the “a” s have been altered as I’m sure you noticed. Either way is good, so whatever makes you happy. Any way you could get the “a” letter back to the original style? Very nice and fun piece by the way…. Congrats on the pickup!! Rocky
Old 04-09-2023, 08:54 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceDocter View Post
I kind of like the look of the original myself…. looks authentically aged. But the redo is pretty good also… however the “a” s have been altered as I’m sure you noticed. Either way is good, so whatever makes you happy. Any way you could get the “a” letter back to the original style? Very nice and fun piece by the way…. Congrats on the pickup!! Rocky
I like the improved version but, yeah, the “a” needs to go back to original and I noticed the red on the 1¢ is more vivid in the original.

edit: I see you also noticed the red. I don’t think you’re quite “there,” yet.

Last edited by ooo-ribay; 04-09-2023 at 08:57 AM.
Old 04-09-2023, 10:27 AM
Gary

Thanks guys. Good spot on the "a". I actually had the matched on a n earlier version but that's clearly been lost somewhere between versions 3 and 900. :-)
That'll be easy enough to correct.

I figure I'll need a few more attempts to get it right. One of my pet peaves is that the transparent areas should be transparent. I've seen a number of Oak Premiers where the area between the lines is colored white where it should be transparent. The photo below is one I found online to illustrate my point.

I post updates.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg maxresdefault.jpg (138.4 KB, 170 views)
Old 04-09-2023, 06:32 PM
G@ry Cier@dkowski

Hey Gary, if you'd like, I can take a crack at it – one of the things I do is create graphics props for movies and TV. My specialty is "period correct" graphics for posters, packaging, etc. I use the type and typography of the period and I do recreations like you are doing here. If I can't match the exact typeface, I can recreate it pretty easily, especially the san-serif ones like in your piece. As long as I have the exact dimensions and a good photo I can recreate it pretty accurately and quickly. Can't help you on the white background though. But I would look into custom scale modeler websites because those guys get custom decals made that don't have to have the white background.
Old 04-09-2023, 07:52 PM
Bob C.

One more thought/suggestion, if possible. The 1 cent designation printed in the big red dot has much thicker yellow lines in the original decal than in the newer versions. I think it would look much better if you could somehow thicken those yellow lines, and make the 1 cent designation stand out so much more.

Last edited by BobC; 04-09-2023 at 07:53 PM.
Old 04-09-2023, 07:52 PM
Bob C.

Great item by the way, Personally, I probably would have left the decal as it was. Gives it more of a sense of age and characrter IMO. Still, a great item and pickup.

Last edited by BobC; 04-09-2023 at 07:55 PM.
Old 04-10-2023, 05:06 PM
Gary

Thanks guys. I've kept the original glass/decal in it's original state so I can always put it back in the machine.

I've ordered some replacement decals with the white under-printing to test it out. It didn't cost much - which is good because I'm going to have to correct the font. I'll try to thicken the yellow lines in the 1 cent red dot too.

Thanks for the offer jerseygary. I may come back to you but I'd like to see what I can produce first. My generally philosophy with things like this is that if I won't be worse off by giving it a try, I'll have a go first.
Old 04-11-2023, 04:55 AM
Rob

I think whenever you’re happy with the result, you’re good. You bought the machine for your own enjoyment and you’ve kept the original glass with decal.
Old 04-11-2023, 12:40 PM
Joe M.

Had the same machine, since sold in auction a few years ago.

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 04-11-2023, 01:06 PM

Default Premiere Gumball Machine

For Sale
jssage24@yahoo.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6220.jpg (189.7 KB, 93 views)
Old 04-11-2023, 05:52 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

For font consistency, look for pieces of letters in the original that could be used to properly re-create the worn away letters. Case in point, copy the 'n' (with a little of the yellow background, too) from the "and" sitting next to "Card," paste it and then rotate it 180° to now have a perfect 'u' For "Gum."

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.

Last edited by JollyElm; 04-12-2023 at 03:32 AM.
Old 04-12-2023, 07:13 AM
octavio ranzola

hi leave as is
Old 04-12-2023, 02:26 PM
Bill Roberts

pretty