NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-20-2009, 05:22 PM
Dan Bretta

Default This Person Is Making A Killing

selling reproduction baseball and Native American cabinet photos.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-York-Basebal...item2557e4aa8d

Check their completed auctions to see what people are willing to pay for garbage.
Old 12-20-2009, 05:35 PM

bidders must be willing to pay extra to be blessed!
Old 12-20-2009, 07:37 PM

Default Ward

I emailed the seller saying the her John Wards Newsboy is a reprint based off of a recent authentic card sold in one of Goodwin's auctions. She wrote me back thanking me for the research.

Isn't it funny that even though the auction says the cards are reprints, someone will bid a lot of money on them?
Old 12-20-2009, 08:20 PM
Paul

Default Buyer Beware

I am wondering if the picture in the listing is (what looks to be) the real cabinet card? I always thought ebay should have a section under every single catagory for Fakes & Reproductions. They are a waste of time looking thru listings and finding nothing but reproduced fake junk! Why would ebay care, when they get there fees regardless of a fake or not. Most of those users have words like Vintage looking, antique style, or they don't tell you its a fake until you read hundreds of words to get to the bottom of the listing. Stuff like photo produced from the original negative. Mabye those buyers are shill bids, or they didn't read the entire listing? You never know with all that stuff.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:42 AM
T0NY @

This seller is blatantly trying to fool the buyer by phrasing words in his auction header such as, "card or cabinet" or "card or photo" and even puts the date of the genuine item in there to. This is more to me than simply a seller selling reproductions on Ebay. This guys bad news and should be brought down.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:49 AM
Paul

Default I have very little sympathy for...

...idiot bidders. Especially when the seller lists the items as a reprint.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 12-21-2009, 06:59 AM
Phil Garry

My guess is that these "potential buyers" feel that the reprint is of good enough quality to pass it off as an original and then they would be the ones really "making the killing".
Old 12-21-2009, 07:04 AM
T0NY @

Nothing but bad news can come of this whether your the seller or buyer in my opinion. It shouldn't be allowed to continue in the format it is being done.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:38 AM
Lance G.

I agree completely with Tony. I have asked my eBay rep for years to try and have RP's banned from the pre-war section. eBay should ask what year the card was printed and assign a category to the card. They should not be sold side-by-side with the authentics.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:51 AM

If the seller himself states he doesn't think it's original and believes it's a reprint, there's not much more you can do for the bidders.

One of the rules of thumb for eBay buying is, if the seller says something is a reprint take his word for it.

Last edited by drc; 12-21-2009 at 07:55 AM.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:54 AM
Barry Sloate

Some people think that reprints are worth a small percentage of originals. For example, if a genuine T206 Wagner is worth a few hundred thousand dollars, then it stands to reason a reprint must be worth at least a thousand or two. Bad news.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:56 AM
Scott

My biggest problem has always been that they don't use the word reprint, or reproduction until the description of the item. Often, you bid fast, and don't read. Yeah, thats the bidder's fault, but its also deceptive by the seller.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:39 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default my problem with descriptions

My problem with descriptions is that, many times, they leave that tiny bit of wiggle room for people hopeful of hitting the lotto. So, instead of saying..

"We believe this is probably a reprint"

they should just say

"This is a reprint"

*I am not saying you can protect an idiot and his/her money from parting ways but a more succinct and honest description wouldn't hurt.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:02 AM

My problem is, with SO MANY fake cards, the seller is either making these pieces of junk himself or knows the person who is. This means he KNOWS they are reprints and has absolutley ZERO wiggle room, as far as his descriptions go.

This person is greedy but NOT greedy enough to try and TOTALLY scam his buyers. Because of that, he should be putting REPRINT in large letters on three or four areas of each card so that his buyers will KNOW they are getting fake cards and so those buyers will NOT try and turn around and sell these things as originals.

If he did that and was getting the same prices he is currently getting then I wouldn't have such a hard time with this whole scam.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:55 AM
Frank
Fra.nk Anth0ny

The problem is that they are actually good looking. Very easy for someone to get taken on these.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:17 AM
Paul

Regardless of the clarity of fraud used in selling doctored reprints, I still think that people who think they "lotto'ed" into buying a T206 Honus Wagner for an amazing discount deserve all the humility that comes with making that purchase and eventually learning about their mistake. Which is not to say the seller doesn't bear some responsibility for being a crook. I just don't think the bidder can escape a meaningful level of fault.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 12-21-2009, 10:19 AM
Barry Sloate

It's a symbiotic relationship. The seller is trying to con the buyer, and the buyer thinks he is smarter than the seller. Maybe in the end they deserve each other.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:36 AM
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Maybe in the end they deserve each other.
I couldn't agree more.

Both parties have just enough faith in the others potential ignorance to try and get over just a little bit.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:27 PM

Seller said he would sell me 50 for

Seller told me he would sell me 50 for $600. What do you think?
Old 12-21-2009, 03:05 PM

Default who is making this crap?????????

Who is producing this junk?
Old 12-21-2009, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfish View Post
Who is producing this junk?
Mr. H.P. Scanner
Old 12-21-2009, 04:21 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default no doubt but....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis View Post
Mr. H.P. Scanner
No doubt but..... Inanimate objects rarely do things on their own.
Old 12-26-2009, 03:04 PM

I was curious what these actually looked like in person so tried to get some clarification as to whether they actually look like cabinet cards, i.e. photos pasted to a board or are just a photo of the cards mounted to thick stock. My big concern is running into these, or similar photos, down the road as it is hard to tell what these look like from an ebay picture and you wouldn't necessarily be able to tell they are fake (at least some of them) until they are in your hands (or the fact that I could afford most of them ) Didn't get an answer to the question but here is the response.

Well I was given them by my grandma after my grandpa had passed this last year. He had maybe over 5,000 old photos he collected over the years. I have taken them to flea markets and various outlets. People have told me they thought they were reprints but they weren't 100%. Other than that I'm not for sure as I don't know a lot about old photos, or photos in general for that matter. I also state it because I don't want to get into any kind of trouble with eBay. As I really just don't know for sure. I hope that helps out some. - Samantha. ;o)
Old 12-26-2009, 03:09 PM

In going through all these listings and trying to avoid them I had the thought that it would be nice to have a blocked seller option in ebay. After further consideration however I think it is good that I am aware of what is being sold so when someone else tries to peddle these types of items as legitimate down the road I may recall seeing them previously.
Old 12-26-2009, 03:16 PM
Dan Bretta

Here's another seller to avoid with almost the same wording in his description.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1897-BOSTON-BASE...item439c4a44c6
Old 12-26-2009, 03:17 PM
Clayton

I've found that most people who sell fakes that they hope buyers "think" have a slim chance of being "real" always "act" like they are unsure/innocent/found them in ol' grandma's closet/etc...................B/S
Old 12-26-2009, 04:17 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
Here's another seller to avoid with almost the same wording in his description.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1897-BOSTON-BASE...item439c4a44c6

The seller ends his auction by saying God Bless,,, how can you go wrong with a seller who scams you and blesses you at the same time.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 12-26-2009, 08:01 PM
T0NY @

I've got some cheap swamp land for sale for anyone that's interested.
As I stated before, nothing good can come out of this.
Old 12-27-2009, 04:24 PM

Default Legitimate reasons to buy - but not at these prices!

I actually bid on the 1888 Joseph Hall Cleveland Ball Club Cabinet reprint. I did so for a several reasons. First, I may never ever acquire the real deal for my collection, so the reprint was very appealing on that front. 2nd, I had never seen this issue reprinted before, and was curious about quality, construction, etc. Lastly, in the amazing event that I encountered the real deal down the road, I wanted to have a frame of reference since there are clearly reprints out there now. After putting all this thought into it, I set a wopping $16 max bid limit and I was blown out of the water. There are clearly nefarious reasons to buy these reprints, but there are legitimate reasons too. Sure would be nice if ebay placed these into their very own category though.

Last edited by JLange; 12-27-2009 at 04:26 PM.