NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 06-08-2009, 05:52 PM

Default 1953/54 Cubs Auto Team Ball

Hoping someone could help me out here. A neighbor of mine just got from his uncle either a '53 or '54 Cubs autographed team ball. I am 90% certain that it isn't a "stamped" ball (if that is the correct term). He knows I collect cards and was asking my thoughts on the value. Unfortunately, I stick to T206s / T3s and am clueless on this.

Any rough ideas on the value? The signatures look great, with only a few smudges. Highlights are Kiner, Cavaretta, and Saurer. Now that I think of it, it probably is '53 since it doesn't have Banks. Appreciate the help.

Thanks,

Brian

Last edited by becollie; 06-08-2009 at 05:57 PM.
Old 06-08-2009, 05:54 PM

If the ball itself has a manufacturer (Like "Official National League" or another manufacturer) than it is not stamped. The stamped balls were generic and had no manufacturer stamps except for a one word like "haiti" where it was made but no big and bold stampings on the sweet spot. That should help you determine without a scan.

Rhys
Old 06-08-2009, 05:58 PM

Thanks for the quick response. Assuming it is real, what is a rough value ... $300-$500???
Old 06-08-2009, 08:50 PM

It is impossible to assign a value to something like that without seeing it. Assuming it is real and an Official NL Ball and it has all the key signatures and it is in just perfect condition than your estimate is right. If the signatures are faded and it is not an official ball etc, it could be worth as little as $50. So there is a big range on things like this and it is really impossible to tell without seeing it.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:33 AM

As you are looking for a quick informal estimate, if the ball is a team ball (say, 25+ signers), the ball is nice and the signatures are in great condition, as you say, I would say $200 plus or minus. Good strong signatures are always in demand, as a lot of vintage team balls, even from the 1970s and 80s, have light signatures.

There are others on this board who know more than I about autographs, but this is 2 cents from someone who has bought and sold team baseballs.

Last edited by drc; 06-09-2009 at 02:25 AM.
Old 06-09-2009, 04:40 AM
John Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by drc View Post
As you are looking for a quick informal estimate, if the ball is a team ball (say, 25+ signers), the ball is nice and the signatures are in great condition, as you say, I would say $200 plus or minus. Good strong signatures are always in demand, as a lot of vintage team balls, even from the 1970s and 80s, have light signatures.

There are others on this board who know more than I about autographs, but this is 2 cents from someone who has bought and sold team baseballs.
Well I'm surely not one who knows about team baseballs. But in 1992, SCD published "Team Basballs." Despite the date, very little has changed in the past 17 years,

1953 CHICAGO (NL)
Key signatures: Fondy, Baumholtz, Kiner, Garigiola, Banks*
LESS THAN 10 GAMES: Baczewski,Baker, Moison, Schramka, Schultz, ballboy
VALUE = $275

*Allows for spring training signatures

Last edited by Theoldprofessor; 06-09-2009 at 06:39 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 06-09-2009, 05:45 AM

I like how Fondy and Baumholtz are listed as keys!
Old 06-10-2009, 08:11 AM
John Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBirkholm View Post
I like how Fondy and Baumholtz are listed as keys!
You have to wonder what games they were watching. The (only) "key Player" for the 54 Pirates was Sid Gordon. Now the Bucs were their typical lousy selves that year, but they had guys like Dick Groat, Vernon Law and Bob Friend, whose careers would eclipse anything that ol' Sid ever did.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:21 AM

That's not quite accurate, either, as there actually were two keys on that club. Joe Page was on that team, as was the first black Pirate, Curt Roberts, who is very tough due to his early death in 1969. Gordon was added likely because the writer wasn't overly familiar with Roberts and the ball may not have contained either him or Page. Granted, Sid passed away in the mid-1970's, but his signature is far from tough. He played for a long while and was a terrific autograph signer.

JSA lists all "key" and HOF signatures as part of a full LOA for team/multi-signed items. I remember many occasions when I was authenticating a 1980's team ball and being forced to be very creative in determining who was a key. Jim Leyritz! Yeah! He's a key! Sometimes we would just have to list the most familiar names on the ball, even though it might be Matt Nokes.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:24 PM
John Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBirkholm View Post
That's not quite accurate, either, as there actually were two keys on that club. Joe Page was on that team, as was the first black Pirate, Curt Roberts, who is very tough due to his early death in 1969. Gordon was added likely because the writer wasn't overly familiar with Roberts and the ball may not have contained either him or Page. Granted, Sid passed away in the mid-1970's, but his signature is far from tough. He played for a long while and was a terrific autograph signer.

JSA lists all "key" and HOF signatures as part of a full LOA for team/multi-signed items. I remember many occasions when I was authenticating a 1980's team ball and being forced to be very creative in determining who was a key. Jim Leyritz! Yeah! He's a key! Sometimes we would just have to list the most familiar names on the ball, even though it might be Matt Nokes.
Great point. Actually, the Bucs also carried, for one game (in which he played two innings) Sam Jethroe, ROY in 1950, who'd be he real key, if he'd been around long enough to sign anything. Speaking of which, the honor of being first to field a starting team of nine black players also belongs to Pittsburgh, in 1971:

Rennie Stennett, 2B
Gene Clines, CF
Roberto Clemente, RF
Willie Stargell, LF
Manny Sanguillen, C
Dave Cash, 3B
Al Oliver, 1B
Jackie Hernandez, SS
Dock Ellis, P

Two genuine HOFers and another, Oliver, who deserves greater consideration than he ever got.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:32 PM

Default Thanks for all the responses

Much appreciated