NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 06-08-2009, 02:51 PM
Paul

Default Autographed Index Cards -- A New Look

I think these are reasonably cool. A company takes an old signed index card and builds a baseball card around the signature. Pretty neat -- though I probably won't ever own one. Here's an example. You can click the seller's other auctions to see additional examples.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Frankie-Frisch-s...3%3A1|294%3A50

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206

Last edited by T206Collector; 06-08-2009 at 02:51 PM.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:34 PM
Jon Canfield

Hmmm - I actually think the card looks really nice. I would be so worried, however, that the printing gets misaligned and prints over the signatures. Also, it seems somewhat unfortunate that the printing is not reversible.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:46 PM

Yet another way to ruin a perfectly appealing 3X5. They can be kept in an album or framed with the image of your choice. Why must people keep finding ways to destroy them?
Old 06-08-2009, 03:47 PM
Bob Lemke

Default Very imaginative

As a custom card guy, I really like what this guy has done. It turns a very mundane collectible into striking presentation.

My hat is off.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:53 PM
Paul

Default I think...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBirkholm View Post
Yet another way to ruin a perfectly appealing 3X5. They can be kept in an album or framed with the image of your choice. Why must people keep finding ways to destroy them?
...it reflects the hobby's (continually) growing interest in autographed baseball cards, which do a lot better than signed index cards on the market. But I agree that it is really no better than Upper Deck cutting this up and inserting it into a baseball card. As a collector of signed pre-war cards, I am still not biting on these, but I just thought they were interesting and, for what they are, well done.

@SignedT206
Old 06-08-2009, 03:53 PM

I would much rather see a card made into something like that than some of the horrible "cut" signatures companies are putting out today.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:34 PM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by canjond View Post
Hmmm - I actually think the card looks really nice. I would be so worried, however, that the printing gets misaligned and prints over the signatures.
Jon - nothing to worry about: "The upmost care is practiced so as to never “enhance”, embellish, darken, or print over the original signature in any way."
they take the "upmost" care...
Old 06-08-2009, 09:46 PM

Paul,

Agreed. These, as well as cut cards, also might serve to introduce young kids/collectors of shiny stuff to classic baseball and the men who played it. I hate seeing 3X5s destroyed for such a purpose, though. Let's hope the bad will eventually be outweighed by the future good for the hobby. I must confess that I might become physically ill the first time I encounter a Jesse Burkett GPC that has been molested in the same fashion, however.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:06 PM

Whether or not one finds it pretty, its an impressive and original design.

Last edited by drc; 06-08-2009 at 10:17 PM.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:15 AM
Paul

Default Scarcity Matters

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBirkholm View Post
I must confess that I might become physically ill the first time I encounter a Jesse Burkett GPC that has been molested in the same fashion, however.
I think you raise an excellent point. I suspect these things help the value of the dime-a-dozen signed GPCs, but would significantly diminish the value of the once-in-a-lifetime signed GPCs.

@SignedT206
Old 06-09-2009, 10:33 AM

I wonder if there are people out there who equate these things to a computerized version of a Sosnak ball w/player signature(s). Another thing to consider is that this process could also be used in an improper way in the future, a la a Ted Williams ball which has a portrait painted on it in order to cover up staining/other signatures. Just keep that in mind. I could easily see this process being done to, say, the fly leaf of "My Favorite Summer: 1956", thereby covering up the printed title and also, perhaps, the signature of ghostwriter Phil Pepe. Voila! A custom Mantle 3X5 sheet.

Last edited by BillyCoxDodgers3B; 06-09-2009 at 10:36 AM.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:31 PM

What difference if one Frankie Frisch signed (boring) index card gets busted up for the sake of art and using it creatively. There are still tens of thousands out there for you to enjoy, sans the creativity. This is much better than half the card missing so it can sell for twenty times what it should from some pack.

Dan
Old 06-09-2009, 03:22 PM
paulstratton

Default 3x5

There is a guy in Canada who has been doing custom cards like this for pre-war hockey autographs for quite some time. I always thought they looked pretty cool, there are some examples on the net54 hockey forum I believe.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:55 PM

New to n54 but have been making my own designs using vintage autographs for quite awhile now which anyone that visits CU once in awhile are probably already familiar with. First time I've seen those particular designs on ebay.

Here are some of mine..

- Garret