NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-06-2018, 08:19 AM
B. Schneid.
Ben Sch.neider

The numbering on the new SGC flips are so large they are almost comical. It seriously looks like the person designing the flips was a guy in his eighties who got sick of putting on his reading glasses.

And why get rid of the classic green? That was SGC's identity. I'll admit the black looks good, but that throws off the uniformity of literally millions of SGC flips over the last 20 years.

Collectors are OCD and these new black borders with the giant numbers stick out like a sore thumb compared to the old flips in people's collections.

My two cents. Go back to green. Keep the single digit numbering system but decrease the font size. And maybe increase security, like stronger plastic casing and some added security feature like a hologram on the flip.

I love SGC. I've only submitted to them, but these new changes are no bueno.

Last edited by The Nasty Nati; 08-06-2018 at 08:20 AM.
Old 08-06-2018, 08:30 AM
T0m P00n

Is this confirmed? are they really going to use computers to grade cards?
Old 08-06-2018, 08:49 AM
Marty H.

Default Custom gaskets??

Are they going to continue to custom cut the inter gaskets? I hate the baggies PSA uses, and I'd be disappointed if they went that way. The clean look SGC's gasket provided was a big reason i prefer them. Note: being a low end collector, I really use these grading companies for authentication purposes.
Old 08-06-2018, 08:56 AM
C.hris Bl.and

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMayUSA6060 View Post
The talk on the floor was how floored (pun intended) people were at how ill-prepared SGC seemed to be. I think the technology issues were forgiven, but the lack of information being provided regarding their big changes was a bit eye-opening.
This times about 1 million.

1. They designed a plan for submissions to be handled via computer and didn't think to check if there was wi-fi in the building. Now you can blame that on the I-X center I suppose but as someone who works in software development it is akin to being a marathon runner who forgets to tie their shoes and blames the shoe when they trip and fall.

2. They took on-site submissions for the entire show even after it became clear that they had literally no chance of fulfilling the time promises they were making

3. Every time you would go to check on an order, SGC would appease you by saying "check back in an hour or two". Finally I said to a rep that this was the fourth time I heard this and I wanted to just know the truth. I was told that yeah, tomorrow afternoon would be the best time to check.

4. They changed what they do and do not grade without informing the customer. For example, I know of a collector who was trying to submit some tickets for grading. He spent 20 minutes entering them into the new computer system, and asked for help finalizing the transaction. Someone comes up to him and says "Oh - we dont do tickets any longer"

5. Despite all of the computer problems, they had no problem getting their billing invoices processed. I had a charge to my CC before I had my cards back to me. They also charged me for same day service when it took me 3 days to get my stuff back

I like SGC and want them to work, but at this point I can't see using them again. I spent over 2 hours total at the show running to check on my cards and waiting for information. They need to get their shit together, and fast.

If I were Dave Forman I would personally spend this week calling everyone who submitted for on-site grading and apologize for their experience. It was beyond awful for the customer.

Chris Bland

Type 1 photos of baseball HOFers
N172 Old Judge Portraits

Will buy or trade for the above. Check out my cards at:

www.imageevent.com/crb972
Old 08-06-2018, 09:02 AM
Ani.sh Kan.abar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyFromCANADA View Post
Are they going to continue to custom cut the inter gaskets? I hate the baggies PSA uses, and I'd be disappointed if they went that way. The clean look SGC's gasket provided was a big reason i prefer them. Note: being a low end collector, I really use these grading companies for authentication purposes.
I can’t imagine them changing that. I agree that the custom cuts and black background are what make SGC’s presentation the best.
Old 08-06-2018, 09:12 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2000 View Post
Is this confirmed? are they really going to use computers to grade cards?
No this is Kabookie Theater, that’s a couple years down the road.
Old 08-06-2018, 09:17 AM
pete ullman

++1...also...they had a large display close to PSA with high end items graded in the new holder and videos playing but their submission area was somewhere else and was tiny and had no "waiting" area...not that their lines compared to PSA...but still? I was not impressed with their software either as I couldn't find some of my cards using their search feature. For now SGC is still my choice...but they really need to get more professional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-illini View Post
This times about 1 million.

1. They designed a plan for submissions to be handled via computer and didn't think to check if there was wi-fi in the building. Now you can blame that on the I-X center I suppose but as someone who works in software development it is akin to being a marathon runner who forgets to tie their shoes and blames the shoe when they trip and fall.

2. They took on-site submissions for the entire show even after it became clear that they had literally no chance of fulfilling the time promises they were making

3. Every time you would go to check on an order, SGC would appease you by saying "check back in an hour or two". Finally I said to a rep that this was the fourth time I heard this and I wanted to just know the truth. I was told that yeah, tomorrow afternoon would be the best time to check.

4. They changed what they do and do not grade without informing the customer. For example, I know of a collector who was trying to submit some tickets for grading. He spent 20 minutes entering them into the new computer system, and asked for help finalizing the transaction. Someone comes up to him and says "Oh - we dont do tickets any longer"

5. Despite all of the computer problems, they had no problem getting their billing invoices processed. I had a charge to my CC before I had my cards back to me. They also charged me for same day service when it took me 3 days to get my stuff back

I like SGC and want them to work, but at this point I can't see using them again. I spent over 2 hours total at the show running to check on my cards and waiting for information. They need to get their shit together, and fast.

If I were Dave Forman I would personally spend this week calling everyone who submitted for on-site grading and apologize for their experience. It was beyond awful for the customer.

Chris Bland

Last edited by ullmandds; 08-06-2018 at 09:17 AM.
Old 08-06-2018, 09:33 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Ability to make an offer on any card that was graded? Seems to me they took some transparency away but using random numbers for certs, but they 100% know, or will know, who submitted what when it comes time to make an offer. It sounded like a great idea at first.

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 08-06-2018, 09:42 AM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
Ability to make an offer on any card that was graded? Seems to me they took some transparency away but using random numbers for certs, but they 100% know, or will know, who submitted what when it comes time to make an offer. It sounded like a great idea at first.
Out of curiosity since I am a bit out of the loop: Is SGC making the offer, or are they simply connecting buyers to sellers?
Old 08-06-2018, 09:48 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Did they add the tagline "actively seeking submissions"?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Old 08-06-2018, 11:02 AM
Lar.ry Buch.heim

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyFromCANADA View Post
I agree with the PSA baggie but the BVG sealed sleeve is clean, stable and protects the card better than any current or former slab.

I have stated before I would love to see a BVG style sleeve in between two thinner SGC gaskets. The card would not slide under the gasket or have edge damaged. I have not noticed a problem on the post war cards which are thicker but some of my tobacco cards slid and damaged the edge, especially the older slabs because of handling and shipping.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:08 AM
Al Jurgela

Default Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anish View Post
I can’t imagine them changing that. I agree that the custom cuts and black background are what make SGC’s presentation the best.
I think that is right.

Al
50 Hage's Dairy (Minoso)
All Oscar Charleston Cards
Rare Soccer cards
Rare Boxing cards
Old 08-06-2018, 11:26 AM
Kyle May

By the way, it should be noted if it hasn't been already, SGC's new website address is...

https://www.gosgc.com/

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame
Old 08-06-2018, 12:04 PM
Jason Wells

Well that was fast. So the 600 or so SGC slabs I have includings ones graded a couple weeks ago are now legacy registry cards. I was wondering what would become of cards graded 10-100 when the new registry came about. I was wishful they would be able to be added under the 1-10 corresponding grade given on the slab. I like the new slabs. Thats alot of crossovers though to continue on with the new registry.
Old 08-06-2018, 12:11 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Well that was fast. So the 600 or so SGC slabs I have includings ones graded a couple weeks ago are now legacy registry cards. I was wondering what would become of cards graded 10-100 when the new registry came about. I was wishful they would be able to be added under the 1-10 corresponding grade given on the slab. I like the new slabs. Thats alot of crossovers though to continue on with the new registry.
I am not really a registry collector, and I can even live with the differences in the flips. I just wonder if the new slabs themselves will be the same size as the older?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 08-06-2018, 12:12 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Sorry, Jason. I didn't intend to quote you.

Old 08-06-2018, 12:22 PM
Jason Wells

Quote away! Im not on the registry for say the reasons people are on PSA's registry. Not alot of competing going on at least on the sets I collect. SGC was more of a way for me to see my progress and store the cards in the album for quick digital reference. Everything changes.
Old 08-06-2018, 12:31 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

I understand and agree. I can see how the changes would disrupt that.

Old 08-06-2018, 01:44 PM
Dale
Da.le Pi.ke

I think they did a great job on the new labels. The quality looks much better and they are more professional looking. The labels were in desperate need of an upgrade so IMO this is a step in the right direction for SGC. Now I can't wait to see the new holders. Exciting times for SGC fans!
Old 08-06-2018, 02:38 PM
Don Hontz

I saw the new SGC Labels, the only thing I don't like is the Large Number grade--I just think it is too big and a bit enormous. Otherwise not bad.
Old 08-06-2018, 03:59 PM
Marty H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donscards View Post
I saw the new SGC Labels, the only thing I don't like is the Large Number grade--I just think it is too big and a bit enormous. Otherwise not bad.
I agree with Don. The number is too big.
Old 08-06-2018, 05:05 PM
@ndrew woo.dfin

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
They will be using computers to grade cards, thereby removing the uncertainty that exists when humans are involved, i.e. the garbage grading from PSA. They will have scans of all cards graded which will be available to anyone online. They will have the ability to make offers on any card graded, again available to anyone online. Their customer service blows away PSA. Their slab is head and shoulders better looking than PSA's. Oh - but PSA has the Registry which causes higher resale value on certain issues. I'm sure SGC has no chance in such a marketplace.
I am well aware of what they are trying to do.

Member since 2009
Old 08-06-2018, 05:14 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
They will be using computers to grade cards, thereby removing the uncertainty that exists when humans are involved, i.e. the garbage grading from PSA. They will have scans of all cards graded which will be available to anyone online. They will have the ability to make offers on any card graded, again available to anyone online. Their customer service blows away PSA. Their slab is head and shoulders better looking than PSA's. Oh - but PSA has the Registry which causes higher resale value on certain issues. I'm sure SGC has no chance in such a marketplace.
Just wondering, what is your hard on with PSA? You are beyond intelligent enough to know the difference in value....Also, who gives a damn about how nice the holder is when resale value is in play? Hell, for that matter, Beckett's holders are nice and thick....Really? Why is this a big deal? Would you sacrifice price versus presentation? It sounds like you have a huge agenda with PSA, good luck with that for whatever reason.....

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 08-06-2018 at 05:21 PM.
Old 08-06-2018, 05:22 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 View Post
Just wondering, what is your hard on with PSA? You are beyond intelligent enough to know the difference in value....Also, who gives a damn about how nice the holder is when resale value is in play? Hell, for that matter, Beckett's holders are nice and thick....Really? Why is this a big deal? Would you sacrifice price versus presentation? It sounds like you have a huge agenda with PSA, good luck with that for whatever reason.....Wonder what David Hall would think about different holders versus value?
I don't have an "agenda" with PSA -- I have thousands of cards in PSA holders. Some of us are not as desperate for money when it comes to this hobby so resale is not the only issue when picking a grading company. And other than in popular Registry sets, resale value is no different between the two companies. In addition, as someone who spends big money on cards, I feel more comfortable buying an SGC card than a PSA card on average as I know there is a better chance of the card being graded correctly. Finally, the cards look better in SGC holders and SGC's customer service is leaps and bounds ahead of PSA's.

I guess if responding negatively to shitty customer service, lousy grading and ugly holders qualifies as an "agenda" than I have an agenda.
Old 08-06-2018, 05:22 PM
@ndrew woo.dfin

Quote:
Just wondering, what is your hard on with PSA? You are beyond intelligent enough to know the difference in value....Also, who gives a damn about how nice the holder is when resale value is in play? Hell, for that matter, Beckett's holders are nice and thick....Really? Why is this a big deal? Would you sacrifice price versus presentation? It sounds like you have a huge agenda with PSA, good luck with that for whatever reason.....
He is just had a strong preference for SGC.

Member since 2009

Last edited by T205 GB; 08-06-2018 at 06:42 PM.
Old 08-06-2018, 05:24 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
I don't have an "agenda" with PSA -- I have thousands of cards in PSA holders. Some of us are not as desperate for money when it comes to this hobby so resale is not the only issue when picking a grading company. And other than in popular Registry sets, resale value is no different between the two companies. In addition, as someone who spends big money on cards, I feel more comfortable buying an SGC card than a PSA card on average as I know there is a better chance of the card being graded correctly. Finally, the cards look better in SGC holders and SGC's customer service is leaps and bounds ahead of PSA's.

I guess if responding negatively to shitty customer service, lousy grading and ugly holders qualifies as an "agenda" than I have an agenda.
Fair enough...Interesting though as all of the high graded T206s I bought from you several years ago, all were graded PSA...
Old 08-06-2018, 05:28 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Fair enough...Interesting though as all of the high graded T206s I bought from you several years ago, all were graded PSA...
I was buying all over the place back then in high grade PSA and SGC -- just look at my Chase and Cobb collections. Simple fact is, more high graded T206s are sold in PSA holders so necessarily I'd be buying more of them. Yes, SGC's went for cheaper and when that opportunity arose to buy them, I bought them. I've never submitted a raw T206 to either company. The cards I buy raw and submit, additionally, are usually in sets that are not impacted by the Registry. It's just easier for me to send them to SGC and get them back in the time it takes for PSA to even acknowledge receipt of the package.
Old 08-06-2018, 05:31 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
I was buying all over the place back then in high grade PSA and SGC -- just look at my Chase and Cobb collections. Simple fact is, more high graded T206s are sold in PSA holders so necessarily I'd be buying more of them. Yes, SGC's went for cheaper and when that opportunity arose to buy them, I bought them. I've never submitted a raw T206 to either company. The cards I buy raw and submit, additionally, are usually in sets that are not impacted by the Registry. It's just easier for me to send them to SGC and get them back in the time it takes for PSA to even acknowledge receipt of the package.
Fair and decent response, I'll step down...
Old 08-06-2018, 05:39 PM
pete ullman

my goodness the civility is deafening!!!!
Old 08-07-2018, 08:48 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Did SGC have any modern cards in the new slabs at their display? That is where they need to pick up their business if they are going to stay around. They already had a good grasp of the vintage market, but it was finite. The modern cards is what is continually growing and where they need to gain market share.

Beckett is reaching a year on turnaround times. This would be the time for SGC to make their move into modern as modern collectors are frustrated with waiting a year for their cards to come back graded from Beckett and PSA doesn't offer the coveted "pristine" grade.
Old 08-07-2018, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
Did SGC have any modern cards in the new slabs at their display? That is where they need to pick up their business if they are going to stay around. They already had a good grasp of the vintage market, but it was finite. The modern cards is what is continually growing and where they need to gain market share.

Beckett is reaching a year on turnaround times. This would be the time for SGC to make their move into modern as modern collectors are frustrated with waiting a year for their cards to come back graded from Beckett and PSA doesn't offer the coveted "pristine" grade.

Very good point. The modern "shiny" hobby dwarfs vintage cards in size and scope. PSA and BGS have that market cornered.
Old 08-07-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:

None that I saw and I was shocked that they were not doing any grading/slabbing/re-holdering there at the show. It was just a small booth with a desk, a couple of computers, and that's it.

If you're going to roll out a new label, etc. then you better be at that show with everything and pumping it up. An absolute total blunder/fumble on their part and just once again shows why they are a distant 3rd in the grading industry.

Ask me about discounted BGS/BVG pricing for Net54 Members!
Old 08-07-2018, 10:34 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngnichols View Post
None that I saw and I was shocked that they were not doing any grading/slabbing/re-holdering there at the show. It was just a small booth with a desk, a couple of computers, and that's it.

If you're going to roll out a new label, etc. then you better be at that show with everything and pumping it up. An absolute total blunder/fumble on their part and just once again shows why they are a distant 3rd in the grading industry.
According to this post they were taking submissions, but it was in a different area, so maybe you just saw the display by the PSA booth?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
++1...also...they had a large display close to PSA with high end items graded in the new holder and videos playing but their submission area was somewhere else and was tiny and had no "waiting" area...not that their lines compared to PSA...but still? I was not impressed with their software either as I couldn't find some of my cards using their search feature. For now SGC is still my choice...but they really need to get more professional.
Old 08-07-2018, 06:09 PM

Quote:
According to this post they were taking submissions, but it was in a different area, so maybe you just saw the display by the PSA booth?
They had a small booth where you could submit cards for grading, but they were not grading ANY cards at the show itself like PSA or BGS were. It was basically a submission center and they were going to take whatever you submitted there at the show back to FL to grade and then ship back to you.

That is a HUGE failure on their part and they looked absolutely pathetic in comparison.

Old 08-07-2018, 06:16 PM
C.hris Bl.and

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngnichols View Post
They had a small booth where you could submit cards for grading, but they were not grading ANY cards at the show itself like PSA or BGS were. It was basically a submission center and they were going to take whatever you submitted there at the show back to FL to grade and then ship back to you.

That is a HUGE failure on their part and they looked absolutely pathetic in comparison.
They were grading on-site (or attempting to) but their grading area was set up in the basement of the I-X center.

Type 1 photos of baseball HOFers
N172 Old Judge Portraits

Will buy or trade for the above. Check out my cards at:

www.imageevent.com/crb972
Old 08-07-2018, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-illini View Post
They were grading on-site (or attempting to) but their grading area was set up in the basement of the I-X center.
I'm assuming this is sarcasm/joke by indicating it was "in the shitter?"

Old 08-07-2018, 06:55 PM
And.rew Fin.kel.man

They were grading/slabbing on-site. I submitted these on Wednesday and got them back on Thursday afternoon. Personally, I like the new label. If I was being picky, I would say the grade number is slightly too big and the cert number is slightly too small.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-07-2018, 07:43 PM
Ani.sh Kan.abar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew1975 View Post
They were grading/slabbing on-site. I submitted these on Wednesday and got them back on Thursday afternoon. Personally, I like the new label. If I was being picky, I would say the grade number is slightly too big and the cert number is slightly too small.

Those are sweet

Last edited by Leon; 08-08-2018 at 06:45 AM.
Old 08-07-2018, 07:56 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

The black flip combined with the black insert is fantastic. I agree the number grade is too big.
Old 08-07-2018, 08:01 PM
Anson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1954 View Post
Very good point. The modern "shiny" hobby dwarfs vintage cards in size and scope. PSA and BGS have that market cornered.
Even though vintage is a fraction of newer cards, SGC has definitely carved out their space in that market. BGS/BVG hasn't caught on with pre-1980 cards. It's really PSA's lunch to steal.
Old 08-08-2018, 05:21 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew1975 View Post

I can live with this look. It is different, but I will plug them into the sets I am working on and keep going.

Old 08-08-2018, 05:49 AM
Frank
Fra.nk Anth0ny

I like the new flip. No nonsense, with large numbers. Good job.
Old 08-11-2018, 06:41 AM
Dale
Da.le Pi.ke

Default New Holders

Has anyone heard a time frame has to when SGC will be introducing their new holders? I wonder if we will see them sometime this year?
Old 08-11-2018, 06:54 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRocket9 View Post
Has anyone heard a time frame has to when SGC will be introducing their new holders? I wonder if we will see them sometime this year?
Most likely, look 2 posts above yours

Old 08-11-2018, 07:00 AM
Dale
Da.le Pi.ke

Quote:
Most likely, look 2 posts above yours
I don't see anything regarding the new holders. All I see is the pics with the new flips.
Old 08-11-2018, 07:06 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
I don't see anything regarding the new holders. All I see is the pics with the new flips.
I didnt see anything in their release about a new holder, sorry if I missed it.

Old 08-11-2018, 07:11 AM
Dale
Da.le Pi.ke

Quote:
I didnt see anything in their release about a new holder, sorry if I missed it.
Thanks. Cheers!
Old 08-11-2018, 07:59 AM
Orlando Rodriguez

Quote:
It’s going to be bit. Probably another 6-12 months on that before they are ready. I’m going next week to re-slab all my SGC cards. Robert, seeing that Speaker and Young with those flips is making me want to drive to SGC right now. They look amazing!
Old 08-11-2018, 10:20 AM
Dale
Da.le Pi.ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by orly57 View Post
It’s going to be bit. Probably another 6-12 months on that before they are ready. I’m going next week to re-slab all my SGC cards. Robert, seeing that Speaker and Young with those flips is making me want to drive to SGC right now. They look amazing!
Yeah I was thinking it might take a while too because it's a big change. There is a lot more involved to changing the holders compared to just changing the labels. I'm going to wait until the holders are updated before I even think about getting any of my cards re-slabed and yes I agree those new flips do look great. It was a much needed update. Much more professional looking IMO.
Old 08-11-2018, 10:43 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

I'm not following, there are going to change the holders?

Why would they announce this, as it would most likely be a reason NOT to submit cards until the change is made?