NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 08-17-2015, 10:11 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387
Default Auto cards...does it matter?

To me, if a players signs a clear sticker that is later put on a card versus a player actually signing the card.....I really prefer the actual card that was signed

I know there are a lot of insert cards that basically is a sticker that is later put on the card but there are some insert cards with the direct signature.

does it matter to the rest of you? What are some nice insert cards out there with direct signatures...
Old 08-20-2015, 02:00 AM
Bill Gregory

Okay, this is a rare question about baseball cards that I feel qualified to answer on this forum!

To answer your query, 1952boyntoncollector, in my experience, modern collectors prefer on card autos to a large degree. I know I do. Why? There are numerous reasons. The first, as you mentioned, is that with an on card auto, there's the feeling that the player actually held the card in his hand, and signed it. There is a personal connection that, for me, is much more appealing. Does it add monetary value to the card? Not necessarily. But I would much rather have a card that was held by the player than a card that just had a sticker auto slapped on at a later date. Personally, if an older player were to mass sign a sheet of sticker autos, what's to stop the card manufacturer from making "new" autographed cards posthumously? This doesn't pertain to the young guys playing now (for the most part), but companies like Topps, Panini (Donruss), etc have product lines where the greats of the game do sign. Think of Topps Archives. New cards are printed in the style of releases from the 1950s, 60s, etc, and then signed by the greats of the game. Those cards are designated either with a gold foil emblem, or "Topps Certified autograph", etc.

Think of this. Some day, hopefully years from now, Willie Mays is going to go to the great diamond in the sky. Would you rather buy a card that he held, and signed, or one made after he died, with a sticker he signed four years ago slapped on? Forget the monetary value. From a pure aesthetics standpoint, on card signatures are always more appealing (at least, to me). These sticker autos are peeled off, and then slapped on their cards. Sometimes they are not straight (though it's less of an issue now). And even worse, because there is a finite amount of space to the sticker itself, players with more embellished signatures will actually see part of their autograph cut off. And if a card is graded, that will lower the auto grade by a full point. That impacts the resale value.

When you consider what these "premium" boxes cost now, I won't even buy a box if the autos are going to be stickered. I haven't bought a box in a year or so, but I only buy Bowman Chrome baseball card boxes, as all the autos are on card (with one exception, the USA Olympic cards. Those are stickers).

As to some of the nice cards with on card autos you inquired about...here are a couple of mine. Sorry about the variance in size. I will be buying a new scanner soon, and I'll re-scan some of these.

2009 Bowman Chrome Mike Trout auto.

2011 Bowman Chrome Bryce Harper auto

2012 Bowman Chrome Jose Fernandez auto

Compare these two cards, and tell me which you like better:

I like the design of both cards (the Museum card is much thicker), but the gauche sticker on the Justin Upton rookie knocks the card down a peg, in my opinion. The Museum card, with the clean, on card auto, is just beautiful to behold.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.

Last edited by the 'stache; 08-20-2015 at 02:04 AM.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:38 AM

I don't like the stickers personally. I've seen some instances on eBay where people have taken a sticker off another card and put it onto a more desirable one. They don't advertise the card as the autographed version from the set, they advertise it as an "auto". And if you aren't careful and paying attention, you might buy the card for the price of the insert. But it's not the insert. It's just a base card with a sticker.
Old 08-20-2015, 03:12 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

[QUOTE=the 'sta
I like the design of both cards (the Museum card is much thicker), but the gauche sticker on the Justin Upton rookie knocks the card down a peg, in my opinion. The Museum card, with the clean, on card auto, is just beautiful to behold.[/QUOTE]

gauche sticker on the Justin Upton rookie..whats a gauche sticker....thanks for the info ..i am going to be a no sticker guy as well
Old 08-20-2015, 08:12 PM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
gauche sticker on the Justin Upton rookie..whats a gauche sticker....thanks for the info ..i am going to be a no sticker guy as well
Welcome

It's just a regular sticker auto. The word gauche is French in origin, meaning something crudely made or done. I just used it as an adjective, as the auto is taken from a sheet, and then just slapped on the card at a later date.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.

Last edited by the 'stache; 08-20-2015 at 08:12 PM.
Old 08-23-2015, 05:08 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

I got a tripel thread 2014 topps Kershaw/J. Ferndanzez and Scherzer..it looks liked 2 of them did sign the card and 1 was on a sticker ...coulld that be it or are they all stickers
Old 08-23-2015, 07:58 PM
Kevin

Default Sticker Autos

What worries me is the adhesive on the back of the sticker. How long does that last? What happens if the adhesive comes loose and then you are left with a card with no autograph. I have had several great looking cards with sticker autographs on them, but I decided to sell them because I don't think the sticker will stay on the card for long.