NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-18-2012, 12:42 PM
Dave Terwi.lliger

...........someone never saw Dr. John especially his last tour with The Blind Boys of Alabama

Last edited by murcerfan; 11-18-2012 at 01:14 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:01 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
I thought they got confused and thought she was actually Mick Jagger.
Speaking of Patti, I saw Springsteen in KC last night and "Because The Night" was part of the playlist.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 11-18-2012, 02:10 PM
Dan Marke1

Quote:
Originally Posted by murcerfan View Post
...........someone never saw Dr. John especially his last tour with The Blind Boys of Alabama
Actually, I have seen The Blind Boys of Alabama twice in a small club in Houston in the mid-1990s and late-1900s. Absolutely great.

I saw your prior comment before you edited it. No knock against Dr. John. He's truly talented, but electing him in the R&R Hall of Fame with only one top 40 hit and only two albums that ever got into the Billboard's Top 200 - one of which after he was elected, begs the question, "Why him and not.....?"

http://www.billboard.com/artist/dr-j...t-history/4494

http://www.billboard.com/artist/dr-j...f=305&g=Albums
Old 11-18-2012, 02:37 PM
Dan Marke1

Quote:
Originally Posted by drc View Post
Patti Smith and Patty Smyth are different rock singers. The latter was the proverbial one hit wonder.
I was aware of the difference. Patti Smith's only Top 40 Hit was Because the Night. An excellent song. I guess she had more commercial success with her albums than I realized. I saw Patti Smith recently interviewed in a DVD documentary Making of Darkness of the Edge of Town. It was an insightful interview detailing how Springsteen give her Because the Night, but the years sure have not been too kind to her.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patti_Smith_discography
Old 11-18-2012, 03:10 PM
Ke.n K0hen

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Yeah... lines like "Crushed little kids adorn the Boardwalk" are hard to sell to the masses. Most don't have the capacity to appreciate good satire or anything more complex or different from the mainstream.

I've always viewed the R & R Hall of Fame as a "lowest common denominator", and pay no attention to who they enshrine. If Chicago is out, that probably bodes well for the band's true worth.

The fact that Dion is "in", but bands like Squeeze, Depeche Mode and The Cure are not demonstrates the HOF's lack of diversity and imagination. I guess the Chili Peppers somehow got in, so perhaps there's hope for other innovative/alternative bands. Not that it matters much...

Maybe the important element is GOOD satire.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:53 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Patti Smith and Patty Smyth are different rock singers. The latter was the proverbial one hit wonder.
Patty Smyth is married to John McEnroe. Patti is not to everyone's taste but she seems quite authentic. I read someplace that she never really recovered emotionally from her husband's death in the 1990s.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:23 AM
Clayton

A punk rock HOF would be awesome.....I can think of quite a few bands that should be in there along with DK,,,GBH, Minor Threat, Black Flag, Circle Jerks, Bad Brains, Exploited, Fear, Discharge, and many lesser known hardcore bands that are worthy (I love punk rock).

The rock and roll HOF is B-U-N-K,,,, re-do the whole damn thing. Artists that aren't rock and roll....?

At least RUSH is in the Canadian rock and roll HOF. RUSH should've been in a long time ago. I'm seeing them this Friday at the MGM,,,,,, already know it will be awesome. Can't wait !!! I hope they play "Anthem"

Sincerely, Clayton
Old 11-19-2012, 09:15 AM

I once dated the lead singer for a 1990s all-girl grunge band. Except, she had gone to law school and was a lawyer when I met her. The only vestige of her musical past is she had about ten tattoos that she would have to cover before going to court. The band had toured in a van and everything. She was embarrassed about her past, but I assured her it was cool.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:26 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
I once dated the lead singer for a 1990s all-girl grunge band. Except, she had gone to law school and was a lawyer when I met her. The only vestige of her musical past is she had about ten tattoos that she would have to cover before going to court. The band had toured in a van and everything. She was embarrassed about her past, but I assured her it was cool.
Now she has two pasts to be embarrassed about.

(just kidding)
Old 11-19-2012, 01:33 PM

Hey, I'm a catch. The only reason she broke up with me because she knew she wasn't good enough for me.

At least that's the way she interpreted it when she changed her number and took out the court order.

Last edited by drc; 11-19-2012 at 01:44 PM.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:59 PM

Default R & r hof

it must be so political....for me, the MOODY BLUES were (and still are) great and should be in....Bruce Perry
Old 11-19-2012, 04:54 PM

Second the opinion on the Moody Blues.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder7 View Post
Worthy, When we were adolescents, the machos considered them a chick band, ala LRB and Barry White. But a necessary 8 track for the glovey. Agreed, everyone loved the Doobies x 10 (prior to Michael Mc)

Also for consideration; Grand Funk, Yes, Kansas, Derek and the Dominos, Boston, Rick Derringer, Foreigner, J Geils, Styx and all the others on my playlist.
Nice to see some love for Boston. To this day, still the best live concert I ever saw.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:15 PM
Rob

Default Chicago

My parents took me and my brother and sister to the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo in the mid eighties. Chicago was the band that played that night. The Dome's acoustics were awful, but it was okay for what it was. I'd rather see the Meat Puppets, but whatever.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:27 PM
Al

Patty Smyth was the singer from Scandal, author of such tripe as "The Warrior" and "Goodbye To You." Best things about Patty Smyth are that she's from New Jersey and that she has a child with the great Richard Hell of Television.

Patti Smith was a tremendously influential poet and singer that was a vitally important cog in the development of punk rock in New York City in the early to mid 1970s. She also co-authored songs for the band Blue Oyster Cult, married Fred "Sonic" Smith of the great band MC5, and has released about a dozen albums. She's noted for the Springsteen song she sang, but her albums "Horses" and "Easter" are absolute classics.

While I agree that the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is goofy, if I were to create one myself and start adding people to it, Patti Smith would be in it.

(/geek off)

-Al
Old 11-21-2012, 10:22 AM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Default Wrong Richard

Al,

Richard Hell was leader of the Voidoids which included Mach Bell aka Marky Ramone.

Richard Lloyd was a member of Television. Still performing. Saw him a few years ago in a tiny club in D.C. with Billy Ficca on drums.

Cheers,

Michael
Old 11-21-2012, 10:28 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagechris View Post
Nice to see some love for Boston. To this day, still the best live concert I ever saw.
I had tickets to see them in 1977. They cancelled, stating that one of their band members had the flu, but the actual reason was that our venue was too small. They played the next night at a college in East Texas.

The tickets were super-cool looking - raised images covered with glitter. Hated to turn them back in for my refund.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:30 AM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Default Not thining

Al,

Sorry, you are correct. I wrote without thinking. I remember Richard Hell being in Television but I more associate him with the Voidoids and the Heartbreakers. I think he first performed 'Blank Generation' with Television.

Cheers,
Michael
Old 11-21-2012, 10:39 AM
Peter Spaeth

A truly great photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PattiSmithHorses.jpg (30.5 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 11-21-2012 at 10:39 AM.