NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

View Poll Results: Who sucks the least? PSA or SGC?
PSA sucks the least! 42 17.43%
SGC sucks the least! 146 60.58%
They both suck equally! 53 21.99%
Voters: 241. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-25-2012, 02:31 PM
pete ullman

Default PSA vs SGC...the definitive Debate!!!

Yes...this topic has been beaten to death...shall we come to a definitive conclusion to put it to rest?

Who sucks the least...PSA or SGC...please feel free to post evidence to support your arguments!!!!!
Old 06-25-2012, 02:35 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Peter, i think you know where i stand. They both make plenty of mistakes. But when it comes to resale value on your investment, psa cards bring alot more money, especially t206s.......
Old 06-25-2012, 02:36 PM
Steven

Bust 'em all out...
Old 06-25-2012, 02:39 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

I love them both (and BVG too). Now please give me good grades on my submissions!!
Old 06-25-2012, 02:59 PM
Matt Hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainier2004 View Post
Bust 'em all out...
+1. Put them back in when it's time to sell
Old 06-25-2012, 03:16 PM
Chris

I like SGC for consistency, customer service and value, but can't argue that PSA brings more $$. Not sure that will change . . .
Old 06-25-2012, 03:29 PM
nels0n aud.et

I prefer sgc but i also love psa cards but in my collection i have 1.5x more sgc cards.
I love the look of the SGC holder
Old 06-25-2012, 03:32 PM
pete ullman

I like SGC for consistency, customer service and value, but can't argue that PSA brings more $$. Not sure that will change . . .

+1!
Old 06-25-2012, 02:46 PM
Steve Freedman

I'm a cracker, but if I had to choose, SGC has a more appealing holder.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:57 PM
Zach

Am I the only one that thinks the PSA holder is cooler looking?
Old 06-25-2012, 03:40 PM
Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by zljones View Post
Am I the only one that thinks the PSA holder is cooler looking?
Couldn't agree more, red and white over green and white.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:24 AM

WOW! I actually voted for PSA considering the problems and the volume. I was shocked to see that I am in the minority. Interesting.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:43 AM
Clayton

I found that after awhile, I started giving the card my own grades, probably like many of you do. It may say it's a 4, I may say it's a 3 as example. I guess I'm saying I look at the card first anyways, their grades are only a reference point-you make the final decision. I can see though, how it would matter more to someone from the selling point of view.

SGC
BVG
PSA

Sincerely, Clayton
Old 06-26-2012, 08:14 AM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Originally Posted by teetwoohsix View Post
I found that after awhile, I started giving the card my own grades, probably like many of you do. It may say it's a 4, I may say it's a 3 as example. I guess I'm saying I look at the card first anyways, their grades are only a reference point-you make the final decision. I can see though, how it would matter more to someone from the selling point of view.

SGC
BVG
PSA

Sincerely, Clayton
I'm 100% with Clayton on this. Learn to grade your own cards. All of us go through a learning process when we get into vintage cards and memorabilia, so why not make grading your own cards as part of the process.

TPG does the hobby a great service by examining cards and weeding out the ones that are trimmed and altered. I'm sure that has saved collectors thousands of dollars. Assigning grades, on the other hand, is really not a useful service. First off, it's too subjective and the grade can be changed on a resubmission. Second, the various companies use different standards so cards will not always receive the same grades when crossed over. Finally, many collectors disagree with the grades anyway. Just too many variables for it to make any sense.

Collectors should grade their own cards, and the TPG's should just stick to authenticating and that's it. That has always been my position and I know you've seen me repeat it more than a few times.

Last edited by barrysloate; 06-26-2012 at 08:15 AM.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:20 AM
pete ullman

Barry... I would venture to guess that grading has made people many many millions of dollars more... then it has saved them?!
Old 06-26-2012, 08:27 AM
Barry Sloate

Peter- I could spend a long time giving you my response to what you said, but I'll leave it for now. Sure, if you resubmit an 8 and it comes back a 9, you will make a lot of money. But......
Old 06-27-2012, 01:41 AM
Clayton

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
I'm 100% with Clayton on this. Learn to grade your own cards. All of us go through a learning process when we get into vintage cards and memorabilia, so why not make grading your own cards as part of the process.

TPG does the hobby a great service by examining cards and weeding out the ones that are trimmed and altered. I'm sure that has saved collectors thousands of dollars. Assigning grades, on the other hand, is really not a useful service. First off, it's too subjective and the grade can be changed on a resubmission. Second, the various companies use different standards so cards will not always receive the same grades when crossed over. Finally, many collectors disagree with the grades anyway. Just too many variables for it to make any sense.

Collectors should grade their own cards, and the TPG's should just stick to authenticating and that's it. That has always been my position and I know you've seen me repeat it more than a few times.
Thanks Barry- I was hoping my post made sense

I also agree with everything you said. I think people's priorities will determine who likes what TPG better.....people who mostly only collect want consistency......people who mainly sell want whoever will give the highest grade *in some cases, even if it's not accurate.

My collection is like a big salad....SGC,BVG,PSA,and raw (sorry, no PRO ). I just want the card.

Sincerely, Clayton
Old 06-27-2012, 02:40 AM
Glyn Parson

Default sorry but

looks like an 84 to me. maybe an 86.

Last edited by glynparson; 06-27-2012 at 02:41 AM.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:10 AM
Rob G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teetwoohsix View Post
I just want the card.
+1
Old 06-26-2012, 07:49 AM
John P
Joh.n Per.rotta

Default Psa-sgc

I have to go with PSA. In my opinion there grading is much more consistent.
I think they grade differently. SGC seem to grade their cards 1/2 to 1 grade higher than PSA. I have seen many SGC 60 that would be a PSA 4 and SGC 50 that would be a PSA 3 OR 3 1/2. That is why some people prefer SGC because their grades come back higher. A lot of people also buy grade PSA with Qualifiers and crack them and send to SCG and get a nice grade with no qualifier. They both make some mistakes but who doesnt. We all like to think that are cards should grade higher regardless of which company grades them and whoever does not give us the grade we think that we deserve sucks more .
I prefer PSA.

John P