NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-20-2010, 03:32 PM

Default Baseball Fever Site (must see!)

As I was stumbling around the internet today I came across a discussion board very much like net54 that has a 23 page thread with mostly panoramic pictures from the deadball era. Also included in one of the shots was an unopened Play Ball wax box from 1939. The pictures are absolutley stunning! There are hundreds of team shots and most of them have the players identified. You need to sign up with the forum to be able to see the pictures. Make sure you have a couple of hours of downtime when you start looking. Here is the link to the first page of pictures http://www.baseball-fever.com/showthread.php?t=75607 If this has already been discussed on this forum, I apologize ahead of time.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:14 PM
Dan Bretta

I posted my own photos to that thread at least two years ago. I haven't looked over there in a very long time..I used to spend time on their 19th century forum too.

Don't go over if you're looking for knowledge on prewar cards though...while many of the posters there know their baseball history they don't know cards.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:31 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

Just killed a half hour there without even trying-thanks for posting!
Old 01-20-2010, 05:13 PM
Chris Counts

The vintage high resolution photos displayed in the threads are awesome!
Old 01-20-2010, 05:34 PM
D.B. Cooper

Loved the dog standing in the 1916 Cleveland Indians panoramic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1916ClevelandIndians.jpg (76.8 KB, 324 views)
Old 01-20-2010, 06:15 PM
Bill Cohon

Thank you for posting this link. Those photos are fantastic!!!.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:49 PM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Anthony, that same mutt is in the T200 card... I believe he shagged balls during BP. I knew his name at one time.

Baseball-fever is a terrific site!

Last edited by Ladder7; 01-20-2010 at 06:51 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:19 PM

Default Larry the dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder7 View Post
Anthony, that same mutt is in the T200 card... I believe he shagged balls during BP. I knew his name at one time.
I did a little internet digging and came up with this site about Jack Graney - http://bioproj.sabr.org/bioproj.cfm?...=5379&bid=1804

In it, the dog's name is mentioned; it's Larry.

Graney also cared for a bull terrier named Larry who became the club's mascot. During the 1913 season Larry, as the Naps official mascot, entertained fans before games by leapfrogging over players' backs, chasing down fans that carried straw hats, and retrieving foul balls in batting practice. Larry traveled with the team on the road and entertained the players on the field and in the Pullman cars. Often during the season the dog became so exhausted that Graney would send Larry back to his hometown of St. Thomas for a rest. The dog took an overnight lake steamer to Port Stanley, Ontario, where crewmembers let him off; he then rode the interurban streetcar to St. Thomas. The streetcar conductor would drop off Larry at Elgin Street and the dog would trot over to Graney's parents' home. In July of 1917 Graney took Larry along for a visit to the Rose Building in Cleveland. Larry became lost in the building and by the time he was found, two days later, had contracted distemper. Sadly, he had to be put down. The Cleveland baseball team never had another dog mascot.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:33 PM
Mark

Note that many of the posted photos (though certainly not all) are available online from the Library of Congress in even higher resolution. Still it is a unique site.

Last edited by bmarlowe1; 01-20-2010 at 09:40 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:12 PM
Barry Arnold

Default Steve F

I hate to admit it but i've never noticed the dog on my Cleveland T200.
Thanks for mentioning it.
Everytime i look at the card, i would hustle fixatedly to see the Joe Jackson and just did not do the card justice. You'd think that i would've noticed the dog when
i would take a look at Lajoie since they're pretty close to each other.
I've got a lot to learn.
best,
barry
Old 01-23-2010, 05:59 AM
David G

Default The Dog

His name is actually listed on the picture also, just like the players