NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-29-2004, 06:05 PM
Administrator

Default Gerry S - Crossing The Line

Posted By: RBCraik

Having a dispute over $140 is one thing, but calling my home is quite another. Today you called & my wife answered. You identified her by name and then asked if my two young children were home, also by name. Your tone was threatening and she called me at the office frantic. You have crossed the line sir and I intend to file a report at the detective’s bureau tomorrow. I called them and they take these things very seriously. They referred to it as “terrorist threats”. I am certain your local police department will be equally concerned.

Old 01-29-2004, 06:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Weisner

Hi Bob
What's the deal? I don't mean to pry in something that isn't my buisness, but you have to deal with someone who is hassling your family. Is it worth 140.00 to never see this guy again? If so Pay him, If not stand and fight. Good luck Brian

Old 01-29-2004, 07:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: ty_cobb

As a collector I know these disputes can arise
and my advise is to treat the other party in the
sale as you would like to be treated. If things
still don't work out , sometimes its better to
forgive and forget, strangely enough good things
seem to happen soon after the bad.

As a father I share Bob's concerns and am deeply
troubled, and I cannot see why a baseball card
transaction needs to involve the wife and children.

Old 01-29-2004, 11:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

Who is he?

Old 01-30-2004, 12:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

I think he means the person person JerryS that posted severals times about this dispute, but I don't recall him stating anything other than Robert committed some type of fraud and never explained anything. Not that I really care. If it is true that he is making these types of phone calls, then he has crossed the line, big time.

Jay

Old 01-30-2004, 01:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gerry S

Re:Gerry S

Brian, ty, Lee, Jay and everyone else:

I returned this eBay seller's highly overgraded baseball cards to him. He claimed I had buyer's
remorse and decided to keep $184.54!

I made a claim against this person to the eBay's Fraud Protection Program under Claim Number
43067. It was given a 45 day review by the eBay Claims Adjustor, Henry. I was informed that I
must send a Claim Submission Document to eBay's Claims Administration in Draper, Utah. All this
was completed. eBay"s final message to me was "you are encouraged to seek the advice of legal
counsel."

I called his home, identified myself and spoke to his wife. I said, "I'm calling to remind Bob to
send me the money he owes me." She said, "what is it for?" I said, "tell him I called, he will
know, thanks". End of conversation.

His story is fantasy obviously seeking an alliance.

When money is sent to a seller, there is a necessary trust that the item purchased is as described. When this trust is violated and money kept by the seller, the whole community should be made aware of the cirumstances and that will in-turn demonstrate the character of the seller.

Time will not dissolve the debt. Be honest and send a refund, not more nasty e-mail messages.

The original post to this situation is available at:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/thread?forumid=153652&messageid=1055992119&lp=1056940116

Old 01-30-2004, 01:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay Miller

Bob--If Gerry returned the cards and asked for a refund, and we are talking about under $200, why just not make the refund and end this circus? If you resell these the loss, if there is one, will be tiny on a relative basis. Don't you hvae better things to do than screw around with this?

Old 01-30-2004, 03:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Aaron M.

Wait a second, this transaction happened a YEAR AND A HALF AGO and the seller already refunded you around $600 of the $750 you spent. And now you are calling his home?

You were incredibly lucky the seller was willing to return almost $600 to you without you having communicated with him first. If this were really fraud, you would not have received a dime.

Anyway, this is all irrelevant.

Live and learn, get over it, life is too short and any number of similar clichés are also relevant.

Just get on with your life and keep things in perspective. It is a year and a half later and you are still filled with venom over $184 for BASEBALL CARDS???

Do you know how crazy and scary that makes you sound?

Old 01-30-2004, 05:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Wentz

Gentlemen,

I have done business with Robert and met Gerry at the last National. Both men are genuinely decent people and I will gladly forward funds in the amount of $140 if it will finally end this disagreement.

Gerry, please send your address to bmwcrds@aol.com

Old 01-30-2004, 06:08 PM
Administrator

Gerry,
I filed the detective's report today. They tried to call the number on your caller ID you but apparently you are using a call center or some sort of stealthing. Makes me even more uneasy. Thank you for posting the link. Now I have your last name. Quite honestly, I had forgotten. You know what you said to my wife and when you bring my children into the picture, it's personal. Brian, thank you for your honorable offer but I would prefer you not do this and i am concerned it would not even stop him. Hopefully the law will. I will call you tomorrow. Jay, yes, a circus indeed.

Old 01-31-2004, 04:06 PM
Administrator

Jay, Aaron, Brian.......

I necessarly had to respond to the "circus" maker to correct the fiction that he has presented.
(Notice all the buzz words he uses and never mentions the cause of this situation.)

There is no time limit on crime! The criminal is not excused after certain time has elapsed.
The criminal must return the stolen property and is usually punished in some way.

This super arrogant person has no right to steal my money or tell me what means of communication
I can or can not use. He must learn a proper way to treat people. I have compiled all his dictatorial and nasty e-mail messages. I guarantee, if they were addressed to you you would share my feelings about this person.

All his e-mail messages to me have been compiled and are available for reading. They all include header,
date and time with full text.

Making a judgement on the face of this dispute is easy. But perception may not be reality.

Brian, thanks for your generous offer but I need my own money back with an apology. I think you understand.

Old 01-31-2004, 04:46 PM
Administrator

Gerry, hate burst your bubble, but I'm not even a lawyer and I know about the statute of limitations.

From what little I can see, both of you have been equally guilty of being rude, obnoxious and childish to each other. Neither of you seem to hold the high ground, so quit trying to pass yourself off that way and work this out in a mature matter. I am sure this situation has cause both of you more than $184 worth of stress. Right it appears to be two rams butting heads. Until one of you is man enough to give some ground and make the first move towards resolving this, nothing is going to improve.

Jay

Old 01-31-2004, 06:08 PM
Administrator

Gerry,
Less than two hundred bucks 18 months ago and you want to stalk my family? I used to view you as a sick, loathsome old creep with no respect for anyone but yourself. Now I think I feel sorry for you. I claim no high ground but if you call my family again, know an investigation has been initiated with the Riverside County Sheriff's Department and your call will be recorded.

Old 01-31-2004, 07:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

BRIAN, I HAVE BEEN FIGHTING TERRIBLY WITH bcd OVER $120 that he owes me for a 1968 topps deckle edge Rick Monday. Could you kindly send me $120 before I pound his head in?

Old 01-31-2004, 07:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

Hi Aaron, I must disagree with this as a regular seller. If someone returns 1 of my items, they get a full refund plus shipping. I feel someone should be happy with their purchase and I accept returns with for just about any reason. To refund only $600 of $750 is not necessarily fraud but I would say not good business. Just my opinion as a seller and a buyer. I also must say that I do not know Gerry and I have completed several successful transactions with Bob and he has been nothing but pleasant to me. Dan.

Old 01-31-2004, 07:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

I can certainly understand the frustration of getting ripped off by a seller on a baseball card. It's not the money, it's the point of the matter. What is the big deal about refunding the guy's money if he's unhappy? Do you think that extra 140 bucks you stole from him is going to make your retirement better? Sure, Gerry seems to have overreacted but this could have been avoided with just a simple refund..instead of sending the sherrif after him (I'm actually laughing while typing this).

Old 02-01-2004, 07:42 AM
Administrator

Gerry can jump up and dow, flap his wings and raise all the dust he wants but the issue at hand sir, can’t be masked. He called my home and what he said to my wife and how he said it, particularly about our two young children, by name, was enough to scare her. My wife did not know him nor had any knowledge of his problem. She had no axe to grind. She is no cupcake either being an E.R. RN these past fifteen years. She called me at work and I at once called my attorney who advised me what to do next. I called the Sheriff who did not find the matter funny as you do. They at once opened an investigation and assigned a detective to the case. He has taken my wife’s statement. I gave him what information I had on Gerry including his email addresses and the bogus telephone number. Did not have his full name at first but now they do. The detective advised me what to do if he called again. Laugh all you want, but when he threatened my family, he made a civil matter a criminal one, and made it personal. With any luck he will soon be using currency for cigarettes or at least wearing one of those Lojak ankle bracelets.

Old 02-01-2004, 01:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: slacks

If he really "threatened" anyone, they wouldn't just tell you what to do if he called again. They'd have him scooped up and brought in.

Feeling threatened and making a threat are often quite different matters. Cops know this, trust me.

I'm joining the growing crowd and saying, yeah, dude may have been inappropriate, but couldn't this all have been avoided by honoring the return in the first place? "Restocking fee"? Who are you, Best Buy?

And BTW, I think you mean "cigarettes for currency," not the other way around.

Old 02-01-2004, 02:17 PM
Administrator

This man's story is a complete fabrication! An incredible story that involves his family, etc.
This phoney story will inspire sympathy and compassion in the reader that he is looking for!

His story is an illusion - a phone message was given for him to pay his debt - period. Nothing more.

He is not able to articulate any defense for his criminal act so he creates a distraction by
going on an offensive with this complete lie. Just incase there may be someone that will actually
believe this guy's story please read below, there is some similarities in the warning threats. It
is just ONE of this man's e-mail masterpieces to me.

<After he continuously stated I had buyer's remorse for returning his cards he then decides to change the reason. Now his new reason is that the Priority Box I used to package the cards and insure for $800 with PO approval was somehow inadequate and that in turn caused damage to the cards. He does not bother mentioning what the alleged damage was. (This is ONE YEAR later!)>

The message:

RBCraik@aol.com <RBCraik@aol.com>
Thursday, June 26, 2003 8:41 PM
jsw600@tampabay.rr.com <jsw600@tampabay.rr.com>
You Jerk
i will never, repeat NEVER, send you one red cent.
you got what you deserved. you damaged very old cabinet cardsby shipping them without protection. THAT is why i nicked you. you say i should go after the PO to collect? right ... you are seriously impaired and if i read your post correctly, you are responsible for educating the minds of young people in our society and my god that is a terrible, terrible thing. i just hope you are not a catholic priest.i will contact the bureaucracy you work for and inform them of your stalking, misrepresentation
and lies.
you are a liar sir.
bob craik

I had to read it again too!
This is the man I am dealing with.
All of his bizarre and even nastier manuscripts are available.

This man can not win - it will only encourage more of his method of "business".

Keeps swinging, Bob!

Oh! As you know, I take Paypal.

Old 02-01-2004, 11:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Colt McClelland

Would this poster please contact me.--Elliot

Old 02-01-2004, 11:41 PM
Administrator

I will let it run its course. EOM

Old 02-02-2004, 12:35 AM
Administrator

Colt, I am assuming you are new around here since I don't recognize your name, but Robert was not the one air out dirty laundry. Gerry is the one that dragged this onto the board in another thread.

Jay

Old 02-02-2004, 01:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Bob, I do have empathy with your plight, trust me. However, you have no clue about the criminal justice system at all. Take it from a criminal defense attorney--no one is getting arrested based on what you've described so far. Had Gerry left a threatening or harrassing message on voice mail or if you had taped his call in which you claimed he threatened you, then maybe you'd have a shot. So, unless you're selling trimmed cards as authentic, no one is going to be getting sold for a pack of smokes in the big house anytime soon.

Perhaps in the future, however, in order to avoid having angry buyers calling your house and involving your innocent spouse in your mess you might think about refunding the purchase price instead of looking to make a very small score...

Old 02-03-2004, 04:06 PM
Administrator

The originator of this post has contrived this self-serving hoax solely for the purpose of enlisting support of the readers of this board. There is no basis for his absurd claims.

I am confident no one is gullible enough to believe his fabricated story. It's just another diversion from the fact that he owes me $184.54 and does not return it.

Thanks to the people that have written to me directly for sharing your experiences with and opinions about this person.

Old 02-03-2004, 04:30 PM
Administrator

Your'e a sick human.

Old 02-03-2004, 04:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Weisner

Guys, I think this thread has run it's course. Quit looking for others to agree with your point of view and settle this issue. Brian Wentz had the right idea, just end it, because neither one of you is going to win on this deal. Split the difference, shake hands and agree that you both could have handled the situation better. Pride can be a destructive thing. Be well to both of you.
Brian

Old 02-03-2004, 06:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Aaron M.

Gerry:

You should check out a classic teenage 80's movie starring John Cusack called "Better Off Dead." (And no, no one dies, and nothing is implied by the title.)

In the movie, Cusack's character is stalked by a scary paper delivery boy to whom he owes $2.00. On the street, in the mountains, down the slopes, everywhere Cusack turns, there's the paperboy, shouting at the top of his lungs, "$2.00! I want my $2.00!". He simply will not stop until he is paid the $2.00 he is owed.

You should watch this movie, reflect on your behavior and then go spend time with your wife/kids/grandkids or whatever the case may be and thank God that you are alive and able to do so.

This whole thread makes me sad to be a collector.

Old 02-03-2004, 08:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Elliot

Same as the other time this issue was posted, it has overstayed it's welcome. Please, no more posts to this thread.

Elliot