NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-07-2018, 10:11 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Default Submission Question:

How do you submit your expensive cards for grading?

Do you just put them in a box and send them off to the grading company? Don't you lose sleep over it?

Do you prefer to give them to a dealer to submit for you?

Do you give them to PSA at the show to take back with them?

Do you just take them with you to the National so they can be graded onsite?

Do you take them with you to California and get them graded there?

And the other question is this: have you ever had any bad experiences with your submission?

Did any of your cards get damaged?

Did the grading company refuse to give you the amount you insured it at?

Did your cards go missing?

Thanks for your reply
Old 02-07-2018, 10:32 AM
Dave_Berg

I pack/ protect them very well in a box. I insure appropriately. I mail USPS priority. Nope to everything else.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:38 AM
Mike Reid

Depends on your definition of " expensive". You can really rack up serious costs when sending thru the mail ( insurance, postage ) etc. I personally like to deliver the cards in person. I have found that I can almost cover the cost of a plane ticket/ travel cost with the money I would have had to pay to send the cards thru USPS. Maybe this is an advanced form of rationalization to justify me hitting a couple of the larger national shows. It works for me. Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:41 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post

Do you just put them in a box and send them off to the grading company? Don't you lose sleep over it?

Do you prefer to give them to a dealer to submit for you?

Do you give them to PSA at the show to take back with them?

Do you just take them with you to the National so they can be graded onsite?

Do you take them with you to California and get them graded there?

And the other question is this: have you ever had any bad experiences with your submission?

Did any of your cards get damaged?

Did the grading company refuse to give you the amount you insured it at?

Did your cards go missing?

Thanks for your reply

You have similar/same concerns as me.

I believe all cards must be in card savers, and maybe specific ones?

Personally, as I have debated this over with myself numerous times, I think the best option(s) are to take them to a show, which illuminates one step of the mailing worries. Just have to worry about getting them back instead of both ways.

I, as I have stated numerous time, would like to take a vacation and have my cards graded while there as that way they eliminate the mailing worries. I was just looking at Boca Raton (SGC location) to see what is all available while there?

Many CDN's on here have sent cards/memorabilia in for grading without an issue but occasionally, even from some Americans, things happen and likely being more paranoid than necessary, that is what concerns me with the cards I want to send it. (Mantle, Mays, Robinson and some High numbers as well)
Old 02-14-2018, 11:55 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

The few I have done I used USPS overnight. I asked the ladies behind the counter, at our very, very busy main post office, if they had ever heard of an overnight package getting lost? They all said no. Some had been damaged but they had never heard of one lost. The safest shipping way would probably be USPS registered mail. Since I have only used those methods I have never worried. To each their own.
Old 02-14-2018, 12:31 PM
Howard Chasser

Default Good question.

I have a lot greater concern about PSA (have't used the other tpg's in a while) than any mail carrier. Different levels of insurance and comfort:

1) priority insured
2) overnight insured
3) registered insured (takes the longest, but is most "secure")

I usually send priority insured unless need more than 5k insurance, then need to go registered.

I have had 1 issue in the past with PSA damaging something I sent in - 1964 Bazooka stamp sheet and ironically issues with 2 things I just got back - ungraded (that's a whole other story!) - I can't prove it, but 1 I am 100% certain PSA damaged by allowing a tiny spec of something to get into the card saver when they put the card back in it - leaving a tiny indentation in the card. The second I am almost certain I sent in crease free and it came back with a pretty bad crease - I have no "before scans" to prove either, nor would collecting on insured value help me replace either of the cards as they are both incredibly scarce.
Old 02-14-2018, 01:06 PM

Asked similar question while ago. Lets say I want to get all my PSA stuff in the newest holders (re-holder service). Could be a good move considering the "new" label stuff probably sells for little more than old holder stuff, all other things equal.

So if i drain out the safe deposit box to the tune of $100.k worth of cards (maybe 30-40 total cards) Y'all suggest USPS Registered? Adding insurance for $100.k would be wayyyyy too expensive. The PSA return cost would be sizeable I am sure. But would this be the best way to go about it - Registered USPS, and then sleep comfy?
Old 02-14-2018, 01:07 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100backstroke View Post
Asked similar question while ago. Lets say I want to get all my PSA stuff in the newest holders (re-holder service). Could be a good move considering the "new" label stuff probably sells for little more than old holder stuff, all other things equal.

So if i drain out the safe deposit box to the tune of $100.k worth of cards (maybe 30-40 total cards) Y'all suggest USPS Registered? Adding insurance for $100.k would be wayyyyy too expensive. The PSA return cost would be sizeable I am sure. But would this be the best way to go about it - Registered USPS, and then sleep comfy?
The Hope Diamond was reportedly shipped Registered Mail.
Old 02-14-2018, 01:31 PM

Not certain of the current limit, but I believe Registered has an insurance limit of $25K, so you might want to break up the shipment, but I doubt there is going to be a problem, unless something catastrophic happenings enroute.
Old 02-14-2018, 01:41 PM
Frank
Fra.nk Anth0ny

Unless it's some cards worth crazy money, just ship them USPS insured. I've never had a problem with that.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:56 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
The Hope Diamond was reportedly shipped Registered Mail.
I was, and the package went to the national postal museum.

https://postalmuseum.si.edu/collecti...e-diamond.html

145.29 in postage. Most of that the insurance on a million dollar value.
Old 02-14-2018, 04:12 PM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

Scan both sides of card, with and without order number, overnight and insure via USPS... less hands touching it the better except for registered mail where each person that touches it signs for it..

Did have first problem with PSA bending up a corner on two 52 Topps commons I had graded...Both 4.5's... CSR I can send back when I submit again...
Old 02-15-2018, 08:17 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
I was, and the package went to the national postal museum.

https://postalmuseum.si.edu/collecti...e-diamond.html

145.29 in postage. Most of that the insurance on a million dollar value.
I never knew that. That is a fun fact for sure. I have been told Registered is the way jewelers ship diamonds and precious stones.

Last edited by Leon; 02-15-2018 at 08:18 AM.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:23 AM
Scott Russell

Back in the day PSA required registered mail both ways.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 02-15-2018, 06:27 PM
Harrison

I've submitted a card one time to get graded and it was damaged in the holder. Definitely left a bad taste in my mouth but it was a very thin card, almost a paper so I think I'll give it another try in the future.
Old 02-16-2018, 04:28 AM
Lonnie Nagel

Well packed into a box - 1st class with tracking - Have never had an issue over 30+ years