NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 02-06-2015, 02:52 PM
B. Schneid.
Ben Sch.neider

Default Old School Home Run Derby

I'm in my late 20's so this may be old news for a lot of you, but I discovered these great old Home Run Derby clips from what I presume is from the 50's or early 60's. Pretty entertaining stuff as they pair hitting greats like Mantle, Mays, Banks, Snider, etc. against one another.

Anyone know any more details about this program? At the beginning of each episode it says that each week they pair up the current batting leaders in a home run derby. Great idea, I wish they did something like this today instead of just the one during the All-Star game.

Here's a few:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpp9aLTi9PU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxD7dPYv3ro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZnCETksd_M

Last edited by The Nasty Nati; 02-06-2015 at 03:34 PM.
Old 02-07-2015, 11:13 PM

Hey B. Schneider!! I'm sure there have been discussions on this board concerning the Home Run Derby show and the trading card set issued in conjunction with the show.

Using the "Search" mode on the blue bar above, you might try typing in Home Run Derby. Some old threads discussing it should come up.

Also, if you are so motivated, the entire show was released on high quality DVDs a few years back. There's three volumes, I believe. The price is extremely reasonable--around $15 a volume, or perhaps less. You can easily find them on eBay and hunt for the best deal for new, unopened volumes, or perhaps just select the volume with the players you'd most enjoy watching.

I well remember the time a little over ten years ago when I first saw an episode. I was enthralled. Guys I just knew as cardboard heroes, or having seen a few of the players on TV as a kid in the late '60s, but then to see them "live" on an old, but very clear, black n' white show at a time during the peak of their playing career was almost surreal.

Anyway, so glad for you that you happened upon this treasure trove of baseball nostalgia. Have fun!!: ---Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 02-08-2015 at 12:32 AM.

Tags
home run derby