NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-19-2013, 03:44 PM

Default PSA Returns on eBay

I'm new to the board, but have been lurking around for quite a while. This is my first post. Please don't get pissed if this has been discussed before.

I hunt around on eBay quite a bit. Every once in a while I come across an auction like this, and actually won a similar one for an Allen and Ginter Mike Kelly, that was returned from PSA unslabbed in a top loader with PSA sticker that says 1887 N28 ALLEN&GINTER MIKE KELLY ALTERED.

Below is a similar auction. Is this just a scam? Is the card fake, and just dropped into a returned PSA sleeve? If there is evidence of trimming does PSA even bother to authenticate if the card is real or reprint?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1933-World-W...item51acc9ec95
Old 05-19-2013, 04:19 PM
Robert Williams

Card appears real. You can tell it is trimmed though by looking at the back.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:21 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Seems they are doing the right thing in showing the trimming and selling as such. It would be nice if all sellers did that.

Last edited by Leon; 05-19-2013 at 04:22 PM.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:47 PM

This has been discussed before, multiple times, and I am now PISSED!

But seriously, I think PSA does have a notation if the card is fake. The flip would say "? Authenticity" or something to that effect. Typically, I would stay away from these, and you have a reason to be wary. However, one good thing about this auction is the seller, Memory Lane, is reputable and not in the business of pulling this type of scam (unscrupulous sellers would switch the Gehrig with a reprint and try to pass if off as real, using the "evid of trim" flip as a decoy to put buyers at ease).
Old 05-23-2013, 08:45 PM
Ron Rice

Default PSA auth

I agree with Chuck. I've have a couple of cards returned by PSA because PSA doubted their authenticity. That's different from how they notate a trimmed card which is authentic but trimmed, or an altered card. A card being authentic is their 1st test, it seems to me.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:30 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

I have to add that you have to evaluate the card's authenticity (and grade) on its own merits even with a cracked out flip beside it. I once purchased a 1920 Headin Home Ruth because it was sold with a PSA Altered flip in the same ebay auction even though I had some doubts on the item. Note that this was not a cracked out card, but a card that came back from PSA with the flip on a cardsaver since PSA will not slab cards that are Authentic unless you specifically request it (or if the card is hand cut). I immediately sent the into PSA with instructions to slab if Authentic, and it came back as Questionable Authenticity. When talking with PSA, the thing is, since the card is not slabbed, you cannot guarantee that the seller did not switch the real card with this flip. And on the other side, as long as the TPG does not slab the card, they can put whatever reason they want on the flip because they do not guarantee the card if it's not slabbed. That is why you always have to exhibit some caution in these situations. I still was able to get a refund from ebay (thank goodness, and why there are still good things about ebay), but it was a real hassle, to say the least.