NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-24-2004, 06:38 AM
Administrator

Default Breaking up a set- Western Playground

Posted By: leon

Hey Folks,
Sort of segwaying from the CJ set thread (and what a set!!) I thought I would pose a question a little closer to home, at least for me. First of all let me say that I think the CJ set was sold for many reasons the way it was. Certainly the risk/reward of other venues was taken into account as well as the possibilities of breaking it up. I am sure Mastro did the right thing given all of the info they had. The seller assumed no downward risk at that selling level and was happy with the price. Period. If Mastro, or the seller, thought they could have truly made 1M more selling it another way they would have done it. Back to topic. On a far, far less scale I have thought about selling the Western Playground set and "how" I should sell it. Should I try for a private sale, break it up, keep it together or auction house it? Most likely I will put it on my little website intact and for sale because there is truly no risk for me there....but it will be a steep price and realistically probably won't sell from there. So those are the questions....( I will say I would hate to see it broken up as it is unique in it's entirety).....regards

Old 11-24-2004, 06:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Hal Lewis

You should just give it to me and not stress yourself so much. You have restaraunts you need to be worrying about. I promise to give them a good home and love them. I will even pay shipping, because I am that kind of a nice guy.

Old 11-24-2004, 07:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

Leon,ill bid 5 bucks plus shipping and i promise to keep the set together.Hal wont do that,he will use them to bribe judges

PS If you want a real answer,its a tough question,sure its cool to have the whole set but if you break it up more people can enjoy them.A full set in the wrong hands might never see the light of day

Since i have the highest bid so far i would go with my answer which really didnt answer anything

Old 11-24-2004, 07:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Andy Baran

Leon,

I would keep it together as a set, then try to sell it either privately, or through an auction. I would think you could get a 0% - 5% selling fee on an item like that in an auction. If you were to break it up, you would need to sell the individual cards over a long period of time to be successful. If you flood the market with these cards, the price per card will go down dramatically. Just my opinion. Good luck.

Old 11-24-2004, 08:00 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Glen V

Obviously selling privately from your website for your price would be best. After that, it seems the prices of sets are usually priced below the value of the individual cards. If you want lots of money now, sell the set. Otherwise, as long as you don't flood the market (which would seem next to impossible with Western Playgrounds), selling the cards slowly over time should bring the most money, especially since you could sell a lot of cards privately and avoid auction fees.

Also, I don't agree that Mastro always does what's in the best interest of the seller. Some of their huge lots could easily be broken down to reasonable groupings. That would make them more affordable to more people and generate more bids/money.

Old 11-24-2004, 08:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I agree with you on the fact that Mastro might not always do the best thing to generate the most revenue, from our standpoint at least. They would have too many lots if they always broke them down though. As you and I have discussed there are always a few lots that we scratch our heads about with the way they are (largely) grouped. Thanks for the comments on the set though.....I guess in the long run we'll see......I know the last 2 in the REA auction went for about 3k each. If I could sell my set for 3k x 40 I think that would be the best of all possible worlds. Not sure if those deep pocketed folks have that much of an interest to plunk down that much money though......just seems like card blasphemy to break it.....regards

Old 11-24-2004, 12:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

when you ship them to Hal, be sure to use UPS Next Day Air and send me the tracking number WAY in advance. I'll be sure to work nights that night...........

Old 11-24-2004, 01:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Elkins

I wondered if you were going to sell this set, since I saw it in "Old Cardboard". Of course, I would have hoped you would have broken it up (as there are a couple of cool cards I like in it). However, if you want to keep it together, you could list it on your site for a few months. Then, if it does not sell there, ship it to Mastro. That's what I would do, but don't listen to me! Anyway, I really think it is a SUPER set in its own right!!! I have always loved rarity over high grades anyway.

Old 11-24-2004, 02:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

I have no interest in buying anything as a set but I'd want one example of a rarity like the WP set as a type card for my collection, so I'm all for breaking it up--just give me a shot at one when you do!