NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-01-2019, 08:00 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Frankly, I don't give a damn..about a TPG timebomb that was inevitably due to explode

For the past month, we have been bombarded with multiple threads related to this TPG disaster. On any given day, 50-60% of the first 50 threads on Net54
are related to this TPG fiasco.
One long-winded Thread (or perhaps 2) would suffice. You could run it up to 2000 (or more) Posts......or whatever turns you on. Instead of these numerous
threads which are sucking the oxygen out this great forum. Enough is enough, let's get back to posting threads about Pre-war cards & stuff that have made
this site such a wonderful forum.

Furthermore, I find it quite interesting, that the Post-war section is absolutely devoid of any such discussion. What does this tell us ? ?

1904 Eastern League Champions

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 07-01-2019, 08:34 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I hear you Ted. Most of us come here for an escape from the unpleasantness of 1000 other things. Not to find more things to be anguished over. Having said that, folks like Peter S. and others who have pursued this deserve a ton of accolades. I do feel like the onslaught of posts has gotten a little relentless of late, but sunshine is the greatest disinfectant as some famous guy said.
Old 07-01-2019, 08:38 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
For the past month, we have been bombarded with multiple threads related to this TPG disaster. On any given day, 50-60% of the first 50 threads on Net54
are related to this TPG fiasco.
One long-winded Thread (or perhaps 2) would suffice. You could run it up to 2000 (or more) Posts......or whatever turns you on. Instead of these numerous
threads which are sucking the oxygen out this great forum. Enough is enough, let's get back to posting threads about Pre-war cards & stuff that have made
this site such a wonderful forum.

Furthermore, I find it quite interesting, that the Post-war section is absolutely devoid of any such discussion. What does this tell us ? ?

1904 Eastern League Champions

TED Z

T206 Reference
The fact the post war area is devoid of such threads is because everything gets posted on this vintage section...its been this way for a while now...seems silly to even have subcategories these days.
Old 07-01-2019, 09:00 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

As soon as you run the board you can make those decisions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
The fact the post war area is devoid of such threads is because everything gets posted on this vintage section...its been this way for a while now...seems silly to even have subcategories these days.
Old 07-01-2019, 09:15 AM
Barry Sloate

I agree with Ted that all of these threads could have been combined. I remember posting numerous times and coming back to the board a few hours later to see if anyone responded to my post, and I absolutely couldn't remember which thread it was. It started getting confusing.

But I think the issue of fraud and incompetence in this hobby is an extremely important topic and needs to be out in the open. Maybe nothing will happen, or maybe we will see some positive change, but sweeping this issue under the carpet is not cool. Get the word out and let people decide how they wish to go forward.
Old 07-01-2019, 09:41 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
i have no desire to ever run this board...just stating a fact.
Old 07-01-2019, 11:49 AM

I wouldn't say being informed of a hobby controversies is being bombarded by them. I would prefer to know these things. I find it informs my collecting habits.

Now, if you're talking about endless T206 threads, I'm with you on that.
Old 07-01-2019, 03:15 PM
Anson

Unfortunately, this thread has ended up adding one more post to the count. Just post card stuff and stop mentioning the fiasco. Problem solved.
Old 07-01-2019, 04:09 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Personally, I couldn't handle the sudden, massive influx of riches that that would entail.

Old 07-01-2019, 04:10 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Frankly, I don't give a damn..about a TPG timebomb that was inevitably due to explode

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I wouldn't say being informed of a hobby controversies is being bombarded by them. I would prefer to know these things. I find it informs my collecting habits.

Now, if you're talking about endless T206 threads, I'm with you on that.

Ah yes….. "endless T206 threads" …..the bane of Net54's existence.

When I first joined Net54 back in April 2005, I was surprised how little insight regarding the complexities of the T206 set were known.
But, as the years went by, thanks to the research and sharing of information via Net54er's posting of.... "endless T206 threads" ....
we have now gained a thorough understanding of the T206 MONSTER.

Endless Threads about meaningful aspects of BB cards and sets is a powerful thing. However, given nature of this TPG situation, it will
not be resolved by any amount of discussion on this forum.

I'm sorry if this sounds pessimistic, but similar occurrences in the Coin and Stamp hobbies have not fared well.

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 07-01-2019, 04:15 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
Endless Threads about meaningful aspects of BB cards and sets is a powerful thing. However, given nature of this TPG situation, it will not be resolved by any amount of discussion on this forum.
Good thing I'm not as jaded as you. I will continue to update the existing threads with pertinent information.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 07-01-2019, 04:31 PM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

I think that the simple solution would be to just skip the posts that don't interest you.
Having everything in one post can also take forever to read (I still read them all).
There are many other posts that have nothing to do with vintage cards which don't interest me. I just skip over them.

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard
Old 07-01-2019, 05:05 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

I must be posting in the wrong place. I had no idea people actually read them.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 07-01-2019, 05:14 PM
K@t Alex@nder

A separate sub-forum dedicated specifically to the TPG situation would be handy though I'm sure Leon has considered it on numerous occasions.

Ultimately, every member on this site is here because we have a shared and common interest that bonds us all. You might not give a damn about the "TPG disaster" Ted but others, myself included, do. You're absolutely fine having your own opinion but we're not all Teds. Many of us are interested in discussing both topics. I'm not typically a thread starter but I started two threads in the past month that had nothing to do with this TPG nonsense. You didn't comment on either Ted. So for the record some of us are trying. Ultimately you're the one who decides what to click on.
Old 07-01-2019, 09:25 PM

Default Ted.....

+1!

btw......call me...I have been trying to call you the last 2 weeks
Old 07-02-2019, 05:52 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Hi Johnny

We were away in Maine for our Grandson's wedding.

What is a good time to call you today ?

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 07-02-2019, 07:13 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default Hi Ted

I agree with you. I hope to see you at the National again this year, and we can have another interesting discussion about tobacco cards.

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 07-02-2019, 07:57 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Not necessarily in this case, but many in the twilight if their collecting careers could care less about grading, sales prices, or even selling cards. Others just entering, or spending big money on these vintage low pop, high grade cards, might feel otherwise. It's only been the lifeblood of new collectors entering the hobby that has maintained this hobby. Otherwise, cards and these "finds' may have been long forgotten and dumped in the ocean.

I had a bad in person experience traveling to Cooperstown for induction weekend. I stopped in quickly at the "card show", for lack of a better term, and found one card in the whole hallway I was interested in. After the dealer was done socializing, he came back to his table, if it hadn't been for his buddy behind the table, I would have just left. The dealer finally shows up, needless to say the card which he proceeded me was "a rare one", not priced, just thrown in a case, not graded and terribly OC was priced about 3x the going rate than a graded copy on Ebay, I walked out. Did it discourage me from talking cards, buying raw, or visiting n54? No, I just moved past it, as I do a number of threads on n54.

Speaking of sucking oxygen, I think it's time this dealer be put out to stud.

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 07-03-2019, 06:08 PM
K@t Alex@nder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
Did it discourage me from talking cards, buying raw, or visiting n54? No, I just moved past it, as I do a number of threads on n54.
Very well said. How we all navigate our hobby is an interesting one. What you said makes me want to start a thread about what it's like to be a chick collector. But it'd probably be too boring. I've certainly had some opposites of your experience yet some of the same.
Old 07-03-2019, 07:22 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:
Originally Posted by kateighty View Post
Very well said. How we all navigate our hobby is an interesting one. What you said makes me want to start a thread about what it's like to be a chick collector. But it'd probably be too boring. I've certainly had some opposites of your experience yet some of the same.
I would appreciate that. My sons have no interest in collecting, but my daughter's getting into it.
Old 07-03-2019, 07:51 PM
Johnny MaZilli

The future of the hobby especially vintage graded seems to be surrounded by flippers and gamblers. Does anyone know about the huge Razz Situation that goes on daily/hourly on Facebook Boards ???
Old 07-03-2019, 08:48 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by kateighty View Post
I think I'd find that thread to be really interesting.
Old 07-03-2019, 10:38 PM
K@t Alex@nder

Thanks guys, will consider it so long as Leon doesn't give me the boot! Happy July 4th everyone
Old 07-04-2019, 01:10 AM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Kat,

I would love to hear about some of your experiences as a chick collector.

Do tell, I'll bet you have some story's!