NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 09-18-2014, 08:05 AM
C.hris Bl.and

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
I have to say, the Jackson mis-identification is far less egregious than that Fleetwood Walker travesty. "He's black and he's on an early baseball team," seems to be the only link between that guy and Walker. To even get that as far as an auction preview is pretty embarrassing.

Ken
I think the Amos Rusie photo is just as bad. Someone wrote Rusie's name on the back of the photo and H&S mentioned that he was tall just like the guy in the front of the coach - it's gotta be him.

Chris Bland

Type 1 photos of baseball HOFers
N172 Old Judge Portraits

Will buy or trade for the above. Check out my cards at:

www.imageevent.com/crb972
Old 09-18-2014, 08:21 AM
M@rk V3l@rd3

I agree with many of the last several posters have stated.
First, you post an item with some assertion of what it is and ask for our help identifying and pricing it. Someone has answered pretty much every thread questioning your identification of every item, with exception of the Pittsburgh and Gehrig Day items. Sometime the response was that it isn't the person you think. Other responses have been asking for more information or provenance from you regarding how you know what the item is. Your response is often a mixture of ignoring/ejecting the questions and challenges of the board members or some sort of double talk. I guess it's either meant to distract, you really have no idea what you are doing, or you are really wishing the things to be what you think that you are blinded to all reason. As I don't know you personally, I have no idea which it is, but it does get tiring. People get put off from answering as they don't feel it's worth going through the same dance over and over again.

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 09-18-2014, 09:30 AM

How did you (H&S) go about ID'ing the horse and carriage photo? The description states no parallel between the supposed manager and Rusie exists, yet it is priced to reflect Rusie being in the photo.

Just wondering what the determining factor was. The inscription on the back references the HOF, so it must have been made at least 35 years after Rusie's death. Does the AH agree that it is Rusie?

Last edited by packs; 09-18-2014 at 10:37 AM.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:44 PM
D@ve R1cks

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugginsandscott View Post
One thing we cannot do is say that he is "in uniform" in this picture. He is one only a handful of the 173 people in an overcoat (while most are in full uniform). He is wearing a hat, but that could have been given to him for the purpose of the photo. We are running this photo because we believe it is "Shoeless" Joe Jackson. There is evidence to support that he toured various military operations in and around the Mid-Atlantic area following his tenure in the Bethlehem Steel League and prior to Spring Training of 1919.
The photo is certainly a type 1 period photo from Camp Meade, MD and it's dated December 4, 1918.

I would be curious if Mike Nola has any documentation showing that Jackson was back in South Carolina by early December, however I would suspect that would be very difficult to obtain. It is in our opinion that the man in the back of that photograph is Joe Jackson; hence we are offering it as such.
thanks,
Josh Wulkan
Huggins and Scott Auctions
I am a latecomer to this thread, but wow, just wow...

After the "Partial Possible T206 Wagner" back and other debacles I have stopped supporting H&S.

This kind of garbage just reinforces that was the correct decision.

Come on H&S! You guys should be absolutely embarrassed of yourselves.

I do appreciate the comedy, though. Makes my workday more entertaining.
Old 09-19-2014, 01:50 PM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by honus94566 View Post
Come on H&S! You guys should be absolutely embarrassed of yourselves.
No worries. The buyer's fee cures all embarrassment.
Old 09-20-2014, 12:45 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-illini View Post
While you are correcting things, this is not an N173 Old Judge cabinet, despite what the SGC flip says...

http://www.hugginsandscott.com/cgi-b...l?itemid=77141

Chris Bland
And it's more likely that "Pugg" or possibly "Rugg" is not a tobacco plant but a photographer.

Steve B
Old 09-21-2014, 11:46 AM
Tom Re.bert

I would enjoy replying to this post with my opinion what I call the Ear-thing. I thought it might be better to first ask to allow a heads-up because each time I have a different point of view, insight or even think outside the box, it infuriates a few, and that's not my objective but politely in good taste my goal is to debunk the Ear-thing theory being the 100 percent gospel, I might want to start a new thread--??
Old 09-21-2014, 11:57 AM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Directly View Post
I would enjoy replying to this post with my opinion what I call the Ear-thing. I thought it might be better to first ask to allow a heads-up because each time I have a different point of view, insight or even think outside the box, it infuriates a few, and that's not my objective but politely in good taste my goal is to debunk the Ear-thing theory being the 100 percent gospel, I might want to start a new thread--??
Oh, this should be good.

Yes, please do start a new thread. Let's not hide your insight at the end of this dying one.
Old 09-21-2014, 02:12 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Oh boy. Here we go. Welcome back Mr Comiskey .

Old 09-21-2014, 03:01 PM
Mark

Quote:
I would enjoy replying to this post with my opinion what I call the Ear-thing...my goal is to debunk the Ear-thing theory being the 100 percent gospel, I might want to start a new thread--??
It's funny, the OP really did remind me of Directly. Anyway, if he wishes has can try to debunk the following;

From “Foresnsic Art and Illustration,” Chapter 9, CRC Press, 2000, K. T. Taylor (available on Amazon.com):
When comparing faces [in photos], Bertillon placed particular importance on the configurations of the structures within the profile ear. His approach is still valid today. I have often referred to Bertillon’s suggestions, relying on ears for reliable comparisons. Figure 9.1 shows an early photo-to-photo comparison by Bertillon in which the structure of the ears revealed the identity of a man, although his appearance has changed considerably over a 7-year interval.

From “Ear Biometrics,” H. K. Lammi, Lappeenrenta University, Information Processing Lab, Lappeenranta, Finalnd:
Basically the human ear shape is the same during the whole life and the growth is proportional.
However, the gravity can cause ear stretching. The [rate of] stretching is about five times greater...after about [age] 70.

From “Photo Fakery,” D. A. Brugioni, Founder of the CIA Photo Interpretation Center, Brassey Press, 1999:

In discussing the detection of a fake photo of Mao, he states, “The ears gave the double away…Police and investigative units frequently use the physical characteristics of the ear…By carefully matching the differences become very apparent…In advanced age, the lobe will usually lengthen.

Last edited by bmarlowe1; 09-21-2014 at 03:02 PM.
Old 09-21-2014, 03:07 PM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

I'd like to debunk this gravity, science and math thing while we're at it.
Old 09-21-2014, 05:09 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Directly,
The reason people get upset is that people, like you, come on here asking for help with their items. When it turns out that the item isn't what they thought it was, they get defensive and keep arguing. Perhaps a better idea might be to say thank you to those who are offering the benefit of the knowledge they have acquired over years of experience.

Old 09-21-2014, 06:17 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
There is not much in this world that is 100 percent gospel. Old, b&w, grainy images being compared at different angles and different sizes is no exception. I do believe, however, that ears compared side by side of the same person/different images(if they are clear and concise comparisons) is pretty damn scientific though. The key is getting the correct/clear comparisons imo. I would love to hear what you have to say in another thread actually and I am sure it will provide net54 with a lot of hits.
I can guarantee you one this is for sure.. no F N way this is the same guy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg evander-pic-july-1-006.jpg (72.6 KB, 415 views)
File Type: jpg evander_holyfield2_medium.jpg (37.4 KB, 417 views)

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection

Last edited by Forever Young; 09-21-2014 at 10:05 PM.
Old 09-21-2014, 06:21 PM
ThreadKiller

Default .

+1000
Old 09-21-2014, 06:44 PM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Young View Post
Now that's a classic, Ben!!
Old 09-21-2014, 06:55 PM
Ben North

Quote:
There is not much in this world that is 100 percent gospel. Old, b&w, grainy images being compared at different angles and different sizes is no exception. I do agree that ears compared side by side of the same person/different images(if they can be clearly compared) is pretty damn scientific though. The key, is getting the correct/clear comparisons imo. I would love to hear what you have to say in another thread actually and I am sure it will provide net54 with a lot of hits.
That's the same guy you just got a picture of the before and after Tyson fight.
Old 09-21-2014, 09:58 PM

Ben, that is hilarious!
Old 09-23-2014, 08:48 PM
Tom Re.bert

Lordstan :-)--thanks for what?--jealousy.

Forever Young :-)---There is not much in this world that is 100 percent gospel. Old, b&w, grainy images being compared at different angles and different sizes is no exception. I do believe, however, that ears compared side by side of the same person/different images(if they are clear and concise comparisons) is pretty damn scientific though. The key is getting the correct/clear comparisons imo.

Directly :-) -Agree!

bmarlowe1 :-) ?????
Old 09-23-2014, 11:03 PM
Mark

Quote:
The key is getting the correct/clear comparisons imo. I would love to hear what you have to say in another thread...
Ben - You can see what he had to say here: http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=163481 If you see anything rational, let me know. Be sure not to miss posts 37 and 50.

He claimed and apparently still believes that these two are the same person. It's more than clear enough to see what we need to see.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg not commy.jpg (57.2 KB, 259 views)
File Type: jpg StL AA 1888 18775u.jpg (48.8 KB, 258 views)

Last edited by bmarlowe1; 09-23-2014 at 11:27 PM.
Old 09-24-2014, 06:31 AM
G@ry Cier@dkowski

Wow, I thought you were joking with the 2 pics of that supposed "match" until I went back and read the thread you linked to it. You could tell by the uniforms alone that was a dubious "match" but the whole ear thing takes that into a new realm of impossibilities.

Some sly picker or shady wholeseller must have a stack of these nameless 19th century team pictures and gleefully unloads them on romantic wishful thinkers, then sits back and watches the chaos ensue as he counts his Benjamins.
Old 09-24-2014, 06:46 AM
Brock

Looks like he ain't posting anymore. Hopefully it stays that way.
Old 09-24-2014, 07:22 AM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmarlowe1 View Post
Ben - You can see what he had to say here: http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=163481 If you see anything rational, let me know. Be sure not to miss posts 37 and 50.

He claimed and apparently still believes that these two are the same person. It's more than clear enough to see what we need to see.
Uhhhh.... Yeah. I would say that this one in particular is gospel.

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection
Old 09-25-2014, 06:44 PM
Tom Re.bert

Directly :-) --yes I would really ask to start a new thread- but please try and keep it educational-informative and interesting!

P/S --bmarlowe1 :-) I' m deeply hurt but must for a informational purposes only and my opinion your ear thing comparison between 150 old photo's to say nicely- was really under the bus! (terrible)
Old 10-04-2014, 06:54 AM
Brock

It now looks like this guys 1909 pirates poster was stolen from the hall of fame twice.
Old 10-04-2014, 07:03 AM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Another blame the messenger -rags to riches, back to rags story... Thanks for stopping by!

Old 02-04-2019, 08:34 PM
Chevrons and Diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post
It now looks like this guys 1909 pirates poster was stolen from the hall of fame twice.
This was one of the most interesting threads that I have read on any message board. I realize that I am johnny-come-lately on this thread but having read this one and the two others, I found myself astonished. From the moment I saw the first thread with the OP's sharing of the framed yardlong, I wondered which soldier was being referenced as Jackson. I tried to give benefit of doubt though my first instincts were to re-examine each face in that top row trying to see which one could be mistaken for the man. Not one person stood out to me.

When someone buys the story rather than the artifact, they want so desperately to believe it to be true despite every indication that the story is BS. To deny biographers who have researched this man ad nauseum and never having found a shred of evidence of service and then to ignore this fact while trying to sell the piece (hoping for a large payday) is a massive credibility hole.

Thanks to all who weighed in.

I am just a lowly researcher and military historian with a focus on baseball militaria.

ChevronsandDiamonds.org