NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-21-2012, 09:57 PM
Greg Mitchell

Default Zeenut Pricing, Help Needed

Breaking with tradition, I won a couple of Zeenuts on ebay tonight, pretty much on impulse, not knowing really what they were worth (did some research but found little to go on). So, without looking at the auctions, do me a favor and venture a ballpark guess on what these two cards are worth:

Kunz, 1920, SGC 6.5, no coupon, one of few ever graded and highest graded
Mitchell, 1919, SGC 2.5, no coupon, good-looking card, one of few graded

Thanks!

Last edited by GregMitch34; 10-22-2012 at 11:17 AM.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:42 PM
Greg Mitchell

No Zeenuts fans or experts out there at all? Perhaps I should try BST board.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:57 PM
J@son M1ller

$20 each?
Old 10-23-2012, 04:21 PM
Matt Hall

I am not an expert but since no one else responded, I'd say since the coupons are cut off, the grading doesn't really matter too much. if they both have a similar eye appeal, they are both probably worth around the same.

Edit: I removed my valuation... Rhett is correct, 1920 Z's are worth more then most. I'm relatively new to collecting the set... It's actually really fun to collect 'em. I highly recommend it

Last edited by Matthew H; 10-24-2012 at 12:42 AM.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:13 PM
Scott Mt. Joy

Hi Greg, putting a value on zeenuts is very tough for a number of reasons.

First is they are very thinly collected so unless you get a deal in the first place its real easy to lose money on any quick flip, imo thats why you dont see a lot of them on ebay.

Second I dont know of anyone collecting a graded set other than 1911. look at the PSA/SGC pop reports and its laughable.

1911- 112
1912-27
1913-7
1914-4
1915-7
1916-13
1917-4
1918-3

SGC has graded more but still small when you consider how many cards are in each set-

1911- 879
1912-259
1913-59
1914-96
1915-49
1916-78
1917-56
1918-18

Third the cards are normally in such low condition that no one really even tries to collect high grade, the few people I know working on sets only seem to upgrade there really poor ones to presentable.

Forth from what I have seen most type collectors prefer to find them with coupon and they would be one who would pay a higher price for a higher grade. The cards with coupons bring high prices 3-10 times what ones without do, thats where the action is.

Finally, I saw the cards you purchased and they are very nice, congrats. I would think you paid a bit of a premium (I do on some zeenuts too) and would lose money if you tried to flip but great cards to add to a collection and enjoy them.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:20 AM
Rhett Yeakley

There isn't a 20th century set that IMO is more like the N172 Old Judge set than the Zeenut series. I say this because the key to Zeenuts (and OJ's) isn't really their technical grade but their overall eye appeal, a big exception is the 1911 set which is colected by the grading type. Most Zeenut collectors would prefer a card with a clean image on front with writing, damage, etc on the back vs a card with a fairly cruddy image on front that may grade much higher technically, much like the "photo quality" of an OJ being more important than the technical grade according to most true OJ collectors. Then the overall size thing also has the Zee's and the OJ's unrivaled in their eras...

In regards to your specific question, I agree with much of what Scott posted in regards to Zeenuts.

Of your two cards the 1920 is far and away the nicer of the two. The 1920 set is a popular one and is much harder to find than the 1919 set (which seems to be the most plentiful of all the sets in the 1916-1921 range).

In regards to Zeenuts as a whole the most popular and by far the most common of all the sets is the 1911. That set actually has the possibilty of near completion (unless you need all variations and the Bohne card), something most other Zeenuts don't afford you.

Zeenut cards are VERY difficult to price for many reasons. If someone is looking for a particular player from a set they WILL probably have to pay a premium (and often a large premium) to find that "needle in a haystack" as in many cases the individual cards from any given year are actually quite rare, that being said because of the vastness of the checklists and the overall number of different cards produced almost forces one to collecting them in the form of a type set, team set, a particular year they find appealing, or something along those lines. Very few people are stupid enough () to actually try to collect every card ever made because even in low grade trying to collect roughly 4,000 different cards will run you several hundred thousand dollars and in many cases there are only a handful of copies known of certain cards. The point is that finding a single card from each year isn't too difficult because of the size of the sets but going beyond that can be very problematic. The complete Zeenut run has never been accomplished and likely never will as even the most advanced lifetime collectors still have sizable wantlists of cards that literally never come up for sale. IMO one does not truly understand the word "rare" in this hobby unless one has dabbled into collecting some of the tough Zeenut sets.

I know this doesn't really answer your question, but if anyone wants to check out my ever-growing Zeenut accumulation feel free at the following link...
http://www.starsofthediamond.com/zeenuts.html
(I'm at roughly 2,000 and growing...)

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 10-24-2012, 05:40 AM
Greg Mitchell

Thanks for all replies. Interestingly, when I won the auctions for the two cards, there were two other bidders in each case...
Old 10-24-2012, 07:36 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

1920 seems to be the most difficult year to find one with a coupon. It is the only year (minus a sepia variation or two) that I still need to complete my run. Very, very few come to market. Any year between 1913 and 1922 are very difficult to find with coupon however 1915 (especially) and 1916 are not too difficult. Great analysis by Rhett. I only know of a few people going for every player from every set. They are crazy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pe137mastergroupfinala.jpg (76.2 KB, 229 views)
Old 10-24-2012, 09:07 PM
J@son M1ller

Love it. You solicit responses, people take the time to really share their information only to have you post it on the B/S/T. I feel used.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:21 PM
Greg Mitchell

Sorry, I don't understand your comment. I asked for some info or advice. Based on that, it seemed that keeping the card I really wanted was wise and maybe trying to sell the other (much lesser) one was wise. Why do you feel "used"? I presume people here "use" valuable info all the time. I would hope so. Perhaps I don't know all of the etiquette here.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:54 PM
J@son M1ller

It was more of a joke. Tongue in cheek.

I just thought that the main board is more for sharing of knowledge for our collections and not necessarily for pimping a card we are about to sell. There are no hard and fast rules I'm sure, and that's just my personal understanding. That's why I made the joke and left it at that.

It would just make me think twice about sharing information knowing it was going to be used to make a flip sale on the other side of the board.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:30 AM
Mark Fox

I would hardly consider Greg's post "pimping" his cards out. He was pretty specific in his OP about asking what some opinions were for the value of the cards he won. And he's hardly flipping it, from what I can tell he's asking what he paid for the card and no more.

And isn't that one of the advantages to sharing knowledge on here, so we can all be a little more well informed about the decision we make with our collections, whether thats buying, selling or trading in the future?
Old 10-25-2012, 10:49 AM
J@son M1ller

If buying it on a Sunday, then selling on a Wednesday isn't flipping, I don't know what is.

There's nothing wrong with it. I'd just prefer that the sale wasn't preprimed on the main board

Let me take this time to mention that I won a really neat waffle iron last night an it went way cheaper than I expected.

Check the everything else BST in a couple of days.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:29 AM
Mark Macrae

Something must be wrong with my browser. When I opened this link, the soundtrack from SHAFT started playing............. that was scarier than seeing slabbed Zeenuts...
Old 10-25-2012, 11:54 AM
Greg Mitchell

Jaybird claims he was merely "joking" in his earlier post, but has continued to criticize since. But I guess I am the first person on this board to ever buy a card and then try to sell it quickly. For no profit. Just pimpin'.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:01 PM
pete ullman

definitely not the first person...and u won't be the last!
Old 10-25-2012, 02:24 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregMitch34 View Post
Jaybird claims he was merely "joking" in his earlier post, but has continued to criticize since. But I guess I am the first person on this board to ever buy a card and then try to sell it quickly. For no profit. Just pimpin'.
"No Profit" isn't a perfect business model.