NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-14-2012, 04:34 AM
Tony Ooten

Quote:
Originally Posted by familytoad View Post
Now its even crazier...I want ALL the HOF cards from all the (reasonable) ACC sets 1904 to 1950. There are *many* exceptions that I allow myself so I can say I am on track...
(not looking for t206 Wagner, Plank, no 1 of 1's or other super rare, ain't gonna happen sets, no postcards etc.)
This collection is probably not going to ever finish, but that's ok...I've finally got a goal
Wow Brian, that is a nice goal! How far along are you and how many (reasonable) sets are on your target list?

Last edited by tonyo; 10-14-2012 at 04:35 AM.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:21 PM
mike kilo

whilest i cant say that i collect anything specific beyond "cardboard", i have been pickin up what i can cheaply. i recently decided to go for a 6-month spree of not spending more than $10 on any one individual card/item. so far i've picked up a few '48 bowman, a T206 and a T205, a '31-'32 cut 4-on-1 Dickey, 3 S74 silks (including a Chance, got a great deal there!), and even a C56 hockey. lets not forget the 12"x14" 1910 Wray baseball team cabinet photo. also a few nice non-sport T-cards for color. gonna continue this idea through the end of the year and see what it nets me.

--mike

Last edited by kilo; 10-14-2012 at 12:23 PM.
Old 10-14-2012, 04:29 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default ~500

Tony, I think I have about 500 ACC HOFers in the 1904-1950 era...Lots more if I include Topps era. I have HOFers from pretty much all the sets that I call reasonable. Maybe missing a few... I'll probably get a list together some day.

Lately I have been hoping to find the bigger names or the rarer sets. Much slower but still fun. For example, there are so many to choose from in the 30's that I feel I can be patient.
I'm not a high grade collector so that helps. I have a bunch of SGC cards and if I was to dream big, my whole HOF collection would be slabbed and catalogued. It's rather NOT right now

Because I make the rules, if I stray in and out...no one yells at me

Good luck in your collecting too!

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:08 PM
T0dd M@rcum

I have about half a low grade Delong set and I am probably going to try to finish it...

I finished my T206 set (at 520) and am continually trying to upgrade it. Still have a long way to go, but little by little it has become presentable.

I am starting a Magie savings account with the idea of picking up an A or a 1 in a couple of years.

I have a very nice 1961 Topps I would like to finish....It's clearly behind the others.

Finally, I have just about decided to begin upgrading my T205 set. It was actually the thing that got me started thinking I could actively finish pre-war sets and I completed a "fronts" set, with many of them being skins. Maybe it's just because i don't collect them, but they seem to be taking a price beat down lately. I may think about upgrading the worst of the lot and all the skins.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:29 AM
Arnie

I have a main collection, and little sub-collections.

Main collection is Yankees - I collect all Yankees from 1906 thru current.

Small sub-collections:
Old cards of New York teams in all sports
Jewish sports figures, all sports old and current
Players who were Yankees shown on cards as members of other teams
Pitchers who Mickey Mantle hit home runs off of

Note that I am a collector, not an investor, and my cards are collectors grade. I would rather have a Babe Ruth that would grade a 1 than not have a Babe Ruth because I cant afford it in really nice condition.

Last edited by dabigyankeeman; 10-16-2012 at 09:33 AM.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:43 AM

Still trying to finish my T206 set(need about 40 but have most of the key cards). Just recently based on a thread here I started trying to put together a 1971 Topps Greatest Moments set and have knocked out about 12 in 2 months.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:23 AM

Been working on t206 cards of Cubs from the 1908 team. only one I need is Carl Lundgren. I will probably wait til income tax time unless I find one with a nice front and crummy back
Old 10-18-2012, 08:23 AM
Arnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubsFanCurt View Post
Been working on t206 cards of Cubs from the 1908 team. only one I need is Carl Lundgren. I will probably wait til income tax time unless I find one with a nice front and crummy back
I love cards with a nice front and crummy back, get it cheap and it looks great in a plastic sheet.

I collect Yankees, and have recently finished my T206 team set. I only worry about all the FRONT variations, i dont care who advertises on the back.

On your Cubs, do you worry about what brands are on the back or not?
Old 10-18-2012, 09:23 PM
Er1k Greeń.w00d

Love this post. I collect a little bit of everything - HOF'ers cards from playing / managing days, a number of players from when I grew up (70's to the 90's), types, sets, non-sports.

It's really interesting the variety and the stories of "why" we collect what we do.

Erik

https://sites.google.com/site/oldbaseballobc/home
Old 10-18-2012, 11:01 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamcohon View Post
I collect old cards of Jewish players. And I really just need two more: a Zeenut Danning and a Zeenut Cohen.

I also collect the 1911 Obaks (t212's). I've got fifty of them, including Weaver, Peckingpaugh, Million, Miller, Cooney, and Mensor. But it's hard to work on this set because I just don't run across them frequently. I see some on ebay, but they are generally just the same over-priced Buy-It-Nows.

I have a hundred fifty t205's (including the HOFers), and a hundred fifteen t206's (including twenty-two HOFers). Even though there are cards available in these sets, I don't buy too frequently because I want to be ready to pounce when I finally run across Mr. Danning or Mr. Cohen.

Previously, I assembled the Diamond Stars, the 1948 Bowmans (year I was born), the 1953 Topps, and 1953 color Bowmans.

And I regularly enjoy thumbing through a box of cards.
Those are some tough Zeenut's, my examples look like they have passed through the system of a sick old lady but you sometimes just take the cards however you can find them...

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 10-19-2012, 11:09 AM
Joe M.

I collect what no one is selling!!!!

Joe

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 10-21-2012, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabigyankeeman View Post
I love cards with a nice front and crummy back, get it cheap and it looks great in a plastic sheet.

I collect Yankees, and have recently finished my T206 team set. I only worry about all the FRONT variations, i dont care who advertises on the back.

On your Cubs, do you worry about what brands are on the back or not?
Nah, I could care less about the back branding. Just as long as there are no tears, major paper loss or heavy creasing
Old 10-22-2012, 02:39 PM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmtiger View Post
I collect what no one is selling!!!!

Joe
What a coincidence...I sell what no one is collecting......

Last edited by Bocabirdman; 10-22-2012 at 02:39 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:19 PM
BW Stewart

I've been leaning on 48 bowman. Just having 48 cards seems like it would be a nice one to start with.