NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-03-2023, 10:15 AM
Rich Klein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I politely disagree about needing pricing.

I agree with what Adam said (hey Adam). We have enough pricing tools already. Prices can change quickly so anything printed will be out of date when it leaves the printer.
How are you going to price a card like this one below, which needs to be added if this project ever gets started? What we need is to add things to the catalog, imo. Burdick did it with his Card Collectors Bulletins and always considered his ACC as a work in progress. Full speed ahead!! (who's driving?) And of course, Burdick never liked the value aspect of cards, which is why he listed them low. He didn't want to see the hobby become what it has .

That being said, who said this has to be a for-profit project?
Leon, if this is not done as a for profit project, eventually there will be less people involved. And yes I get this board is good for not needing prices but I'm thinking of, ahem, a wider audience.

If you want to do a project for people of this board it's fine to think of updating a catalog this way. If you want a greater reach, you got to have prices at least as a baseline. Having actually, you know, worked for such an outfit, trust me when I say, pricing is what makes things go better. And that's why it's called a catalog. I guarantee you the #1 question you will get from anyone not active on this board will be: "What is this worth" and to have a baseline is a great start.
Old 11-06-2023, 07:54 AM
Stephen Benzel

Y'all need to crowdfund this thing. If Leon, Al, and Rich are on board it'll get support.
Old 11-06-2023, 08:45 AM
octavio ranzola

Would love to see a 2024 edition why not. My 2011 will never part with. Just too much info i enjoy reading . Just saying
Old 11-06-2023, 09:38 AM
Steve Birmingham

Sort of had this debate in a different hobby over a decade ago.

Small branch of a bigger hobby, club put out a monthly newslatter/magazine.
One of the leaders was very into computerizing everything.

Not that that was bad, his electronic catalogs included album page software so you could arrange a catalog as you wanted it. And they do small catalogs for super specialized stuff.

But they wanted to make the newsletter electronic only. "Oh, it costs too much to print and mail" - Yeah, that's what I'm paying the yearly dues for.
"It will be better electronically." Ummmm..... how? More actual content? (The print one was sometimes not much more than recaps of meetings and a scoreboard of sorts as to who had how many of the primary finite "set"

I wrote a letter they published about how I learned most of what I know from buying a nearly complete run of newsletters. And that while most people think the internet is forever, it's more ephemeral than most things.
And the main point, that if it's worth knowing it's worth committing to print.

They went electronic, with even less content than before... and I sort of drifted away from that niche. Still get some, as they come my way and are usually super cheap (sub $1 )
Old 11-14-2023, 03:57 PM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

I now own the 2011 edition of the Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards.

I will, strike that, must wear safety shoes whenever I bring this book out for referencing any card I wish to look for from here on out.

I will also need to ensure I use both hands and freaking lift with my back when I pull it off of my bookshelf to use. Due to weigh imbalance concerns, this tome will reside on the bottom shelf. Thus assuring an earthquake proof bookcase if nothing else.

I'm also considering a safety lift for this thing too.

Thank you gentleman for the advise.

Regards,

Butch T.

Completed: 1969 - 2000 Topps Baseball Sets and Traded Sets.

Senators and Frank Howard fan.

I collect Topps baseball variations -- I can quit anytime I want to.....I DON'T WANT TO.

Last edited by butchie_t; 11-14-2023 at 03:58 PM.