NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-20-2006, 11:00 AM
Administrator

Default Didn't pass the sniff test?

Posted By: Steve M.

Didn't know that SGC smells the cards.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Authentic-Vintage-Baseball-Card-T206-Mattern-Boston_W0QQitemZ170062602180QQihZ007QQcategoryZ868 40QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Old 12-20-2006, 01:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: scott brockelman

SGC was quoted in "something other than water" does that not make soaking in water O.K. ????

I think that pretty much defines there standing on the matter.

Scott

Old 12-20-2006, 01:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

thats not necessarily what SGC is saying.

I can't answer for them....

but - I can think of a bunch of innocent reasons why water might come into contact with a card.

cleaning agents yielding a pristine looking card is another story altogether.

so maybe their tolerance level for evidence of water touching a card.... and their tolerance level for evidence of a cleaning agent touching a card is different -

and I think that is reasonable.

just my opinion.

Old 12-21-2006, 07:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

...and when I saw that it had received 202 visits since I listed it, I suspected there might be a discussion about it here.

I purchased two nice raw Polar Bears (Mattern and Latham) a couple of years ago -- I don't recall if I got them on ebay or at the Gloria Rothstein show in White Plains. In any event, when I tried to get them graded a few months later, they came back with "soaking, cleaning" on the label.

I was confused because I had never had a problem with soaking in water. I brought the Mattern and Latham to an SGC table in White Plains and spoke with one of their senior graders. I told him that I had never had a problem with soaking cards in water, and asked him what they had found here.

He said something other than water had been used. And, in fact, he did smell the cards to see if he could detect bleach. He could not smell bleach specifically, and I could not either, but he said that some sort of chemical had been used. When you hold the cards under a bright light, the purple in the Polar Bear back looks a little shinier than usual.

For the record, I did interpret my conversation with SGC on these cards as "water okay - chemicals bad" -- a philosophy I already held. Which is not to say that SGC specifically endorses water soaked cards, as much as they either (a) cannot detect such manner of soaking; or (b) are okay with such manner of soaking.

Obviously, I disclosed SGC's opinion on this cards in my listing.

Old 12-23-2006, 12:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave G

Obviously neither SGC nor PSA worry too much about water stained or whatever cards, as I have seen many Baseball cards slabbed that bear water stains....

But it is funny to watch people sniffing apparently clean cards..........maybe there is something in the cards that gives them a high?

Old 12-28-2006, 01:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

Guys,

At least SGC is trying to do their job. If the card had been sent to PSA instead, who knows what they would have done.

Peter