NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-29-2005, 04:07 PM
Administrator

Default "Untrimming" a card!

Posted By: Mike P.

I have this T206 G.Brown (Washington) that looks great. Here is the issue, this was recently rejected by SGC as evidence of trimming on the top edge. I am not 100% convinced it is trimmed(maybe I'm being gullible or in denial). It measures fine(which I know is not really an indicator of a card being trimmed)and I actually plan to send it back in for another shot. If it comes back as evidence of trimming again I will probably just accept the fact. I have looked at it under a 10X loupe and I can see very small fibers here and there. I did email SGC to ask what they look at and I was told "striations" on the edges. I wonder if these are the "striations" he speaks of. I have looked at a few other cards that I own and I can also notice these fibers. I will say that the fibers on the top edge seem to be a little more abundant. Now, if I still want to keep this card and get it slabbed would it be unethical and/or beneficial to lightly scuff the top edge and get rid of whatever "evidence" the card has?

Old 03-29-2005, 04:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: robert a

Hi Mike.
The top border looks like it has been trimmed to me too. In my opinion, it's easier to tell from the back of the card.
It would be unethical to try to untrim it.
It's a great card, don't make alterations on it. Leave it unslabbed.

Old 03-29-2005, 04:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

Unethical? There are no ethics in baseball cards. Whatever crap you can get them to certify is fair game.

This is the weakness of the slabheads.

Only the educated collector has a chance. Alas, I keep losing ground in my education. There are more tricks than I will ever be able to keep up with.

You would have to be a full time compulsive student to keep on top of this game (or so it seems).

Old 03-29-2005, 04:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Robert

The card looks trimmed to me..the top is rounded and slanted. Slanted is alright as long as the bottom is slanted the same way.

Old 03-29-2005, 04:22 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the replies. I plan to keep the card no matter what. I just thought it would look nicer in a SGC slab. Here is a back scan if anyone thinks this will help in opinions.

Old 03-29-2005, 04:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: robert a

Gilbert.
I'm honestly not even sure what your post means?
robert

Old 03-29-2005, 04:26 PM
Administrator

Looking at these scanned bigger does make it look more obvious that the card is trimmed! Looking at it in hand and even with a loupe you can't even notice it.

Old 03-29-2005, 04:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

It is my understanding (though I could be wrong) that "striations" are a series of parallel diagonal lines or indentations on the edge of the card. These are formed during the cutting proces. When a card is trimmed using scissors or a razor, the scissors and razor do not leave a new set of striations. They are left on the cutting room floor. Rubbing the top of the card will only remove whatever striations remain. It will not restore them.

Old 03-30-2005, 06:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: WP

The top edge on the card pictured is clearly uneven and appears trimmed.

Old 03-30-2005, 01:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

The card looks trimmed to me on the top. The top edge is curved. It is a nice card though. I would leave it as is, or if you really want it slabbed, ask if they will put it in an "authentic" holder. There are ethics in baseball cards and attempting deception crosses the line in my opinion.
JimB

Old 03-30-2005, 02:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: tbob

Multiple submissions should take care of your problem and get it graded.

Old 03-30-2005, 02:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Hexus22

Geez, it kinda looks like it is trimmed, and the border looks really thin. I think the picture could of been printed a bit slanted, so it looks trimmed.

Old 03-30-2005, 03:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill Kasel

They'll grade anything! Just look....Vic on SlimFast