NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-12-2023, 08:33 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Default "Why are you selling?"

Funny, a bunch of people on the board know my eBay handle, and when I list something they not infrequently send me an email asking if there is any reason I am selling and hopefully nothing wrong and not a forced sale, etc. Nice sentiment, and I appreciate the notes.

Since I started collecting, I've never had any hesitation selling stuff I have. In my entire collection there are probably 10-15 items that I have no plans to ever sell, let's call them the "super special" stuff, usually one of a kind items. But everything else is fair game. I periodically go through the safe deposit box and find a few items that I haven't thought of in years and decide to give them a new home. Most of them have gone up in value.

I guess I always assumed this is what 95% of the people on the board do. Buy occasionally, sell occasionally, refine the collection, branch out, move things on that no longer resonate loudly. Am I mistaken? Are there a lof of collectors who buy and never plan on sellng any of their stuff? I'm not quite knocking on heaven's door at this point (I hope), but I have little interest in in leaving my heirs 100s or 1000s of things the need to deal with. To me that seems like it could be a burden.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 02-12-2023 at 08:36 AM.
Old 02-12-2023, 09:12 AM
Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Funny, a bunch of people on the board know my eBay handle, and when I list something they not infrequently send me an email asking if there is any reason I am selling and hopefully nothing wrong and not a forced sale, etc. Nice sentiment, and I appreciate the notes.

Since I started collecting, I've never had any hesitation selling stuff I have. In my entire collection there are probably 10-15 items that I have no plans to ever sell, let's call them the "super special" stuff, usually one of a kind items. But everything else is fair game. I periodically go through the safe deposit box and find a few items that I haven't thought of in years and decide to give them a new home. Most of them have gone up in value.

I guess I always assumed this is what 95% of the people on the board do. Buy occasionally, sell occasionally, refine the collection, branch out, move things on that no longer resonate loudly. Am I mistaken? Are there a lof of collectors who buy and never plan on sellng any of their stuff? I'm not quite knocking on heaven's door at this point (I hope), but I have little interest in in leaving my heirs 100s or 1000s of things the need to deal with. To me that seems like it could be a burden.
Can you look, and see if you have any Vern/Verne Clemons cards stuffed away. I'd love to purchase them no questions asked to why you're unloading them.
Old 02-12-2023, 09:28 AM
Tyler Smith
Tyler Sm.ith

I'm completely with you. There are only a handful of items I likely will never sell. What's weird is the lack of sentimental value I have when I move a card I like.

A few years ago when I bought my first house, I sold some of my nicer cards to help with the expenses. I thought I'd look back and regret selling them but it never hit me. I think the big reason for it is that most cards are readily available on eBay, BST here, etc. So any time I sell a card, I know I can find another one fairly easily (usually easy anyways) and the only real concern is if prices rise substantially.
Old 02-12-2023, 09:30 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Vern View Post
Can you look, and see if you have any Vern/Verne Clemons cards stuffed away. I'd love to purchase them no questions asked to why you're unloading them.
Ha. Can I humiliate myself and say I have never heard of him.
Old 02-12-2023, 09:31 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
You and thousands of other members.
Old 02-12-2023, 09:35 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I have heard of Clarence Clemons. And wouldn't surprise me if Spaeth has his rookie card in a PSA 9.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 02-12-2023 at 09:36 AM.
Old 02-12-2023, 09:37 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
I have heard of Clarence Clemons. And wouldn't surprise me if Spaeth has his rookie card in a PSA 9.

What he was a singer or actor with a "rookie" card?

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 02-12-2023, 09:43 AM
Clint

There was a time I would have never sold anything but with the passing of my mother I reevaluated things in my life. I’ve sold several things in my collection but nothing in my main focus. It really wasn’t as difficult as I thought it would be.
I have heard of Verne Clemons because he played minor league ball in Wichita. I have a postcard of the Wichita team with him in it. It’s not for sale though.
Old 02-12-2023, 09:43 AM
Eric
E.ric Bau.mh0er

He had a car wreck a day before his NFL tryout
Old 02-12-2023, 09:52 AM
d.ean

Quote:
I am in the 5%. I have never sold any part of my baseball card collection. Football, basketball and hockey cards amassed through buying collections have been sold off. I did not give the non-baseball cards a second thought and the money generated fueled baseball purchases. I have started thinking about paring down the collection, focusing on certain cards and in the coming months will hopefully have some items on the BST board.

Last edited by Huck; 02-12-2023 at 09:54 AM.
Old 02-12-2023, 10:16 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

As i grow older, (like most folks on here are in there 45+ yrs)
and going to the doctors regulary the past 2yrs - it has become more & more on my thoughts about stopping and sell everything and focus more on health/excercise.
I too, has a few cards that i think i never sell (51/52 Mick, leaf paige, BigHead Ruth).
Old 02-12-2023, 10:17 AM
James M.

Quote:

I don't want to say I will never sell, because my collecting journey is really still in it's infancy. I don't have children yet, but hopefully one day when I do, I can pass down some of my cards to them, assuming they are interested.

I have some smaller modern pieces in my collection, that I plan on parting with soon, in order to fund eventual vintage purchases. I do want to say that the core of my collection, will never be sold, at least in my lifetime, barring any life changing events. There are certain cards I have fond memories and sentimental attachments too.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 02-12-2023, 10:41 AM
Rich v@n He$$

Im going to ramble for a second so pardon me for that.

Ultimately, I am a "set collector" and I never accumulate cards that dont fall into 1 of those sets. At one time I had a HOF set (modest, but relatively complete) that I had to sell (marry well, ladies and gentlemen, marry well). I have a player set of cards from a 50s player that is related to my wife. That wont be sold off anytime soon. And I have an additional "set" that Ive been working on for 20+ years. Ive sold off lower grade duplicates, but thats it. In all of those cases, it makes no sense for me to sell unless Im liquidating the set, which I generally hope to never do.

I might dip my toes back into the HOF one day soon, but Im not sure if I'll attempt a complete set or not and that really messes with my head in trying to visualize what my collection would look like. In short, what prevents me from selling also prevents me from buying!
Old 02-12-2023, 10:44 AM
β.Γ.Ҽ.Ո.Ť Ḋ.Ÿ.Σ

I’m a pure collector. I’ve never purchased a card intending to ever sell it. However, I will sell a card if I eventually upgrade it to help offset the upgrade cost. Although I enjoy all my cards, I’d have no problem ever selling them if I needed funds - absent the ones from my father’s collection. I’ll die with them.
Old 02-12-2023, 10:46 AM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

I have no children and there will come a time when I will sell my sets, not there yet. But I figure 15 - 20 years from now, is a good possibility for me to liquidate things. As long as I am still on top of the soil. Upside for me, my wife know the value of these cards and understands how to get it out of them too.

Cheers,

Butch

Completed: 1969 - 2000 Topps Baseball Sets and Traded Sets.

Senators and Frank Howard fan.

I collect Topps baseball variations -- I can quit anytime I want to.....I DON'T WANT TO.
Old 02-12-2023, 11:02 AM
Chad

Quote:
As I have of many other players. How about Bill Doak aka Spittin' Bill? That's who Verne usually caught balls from.

Last edited by Vintage Vern; 02-12-2023 at 11:26 AM.
Old 02-12-2023, 11:03 AM
Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post

How many are you sitting on Leon. LOL.
Old 02-12-2023, 11:08 AM
Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksfarmboy View Post
There was a time I would have never sold anything but with the passing of my mother I reevaluated things in my life. I’ve sold several things in my collection but nothing in my main focus. It really wasn’t as difficult as I thought it would be.
I have heard of Verne Clemons because he played minor league ball in Wichita. I have a postcard of the Wichita team with him in it. It’s not for sale though.
You don't want the Clemons postcard hanging in his home town city hall? Well then. Seriously if you ever sell hit me up. I'm donating everything to the town when I find it. Just waiting for them to build cases to house items in. There's actually some cool history for a town this size. I won't bore people with.
Old 02-12-2023, 11:36 AM
Patrick

I used to be someone who said they would never sell anything in my collection but about 2 years after returning to the hobby I realized that I had bought things due to FOMO or a bit of hype around certain sets. Due to this I went through my collection and sold off things that didnt fit what I really wanted to collect. More recently ive been doing more trading of cards that dont really fit the collection and ive been trying to trade up in to better cards that do fit the collection.

In contrast to this my main pc stuff is never gonna be sold or traded unless I find upgrades or better examples along the way.

1956 Topps (97/340)
1950 Bowman (178/252)
Virginia T206 SLers (11/12)
T210 Richmond Colts (17/18)
T206 Washington Senators (14/19)
T205 Washington Senators (3/9)
Richmond and Virginia pre war minor leaguers
Old 02-12-2023, 11:59 AM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Collecting is always an individual pursuit, so I suspect our answers will be all over the board depending on our motivations and goals.

Personally, for the most part I’m a player collector. Typically the only reason why I sell is because I’ve upgraded.

The other exception being sometimes to get a piece that I want for a player that I collect, I have to pick up a larger lot. Sometimes that larger lot leads to me collecting a new set. But a lot of the time, I’ll turn around and sell off the pieces that I didn’t really ever want, but had to buy to get the piece that I wanted.

Having said that, someday my collecting journey will end. Hopefully not because it’s the end of everything, but simply because it’s time to move on, and I’m ready to cash out to help fund my retirement. Probably still a few decades away.

And if I’m honest, if someone comes along that is crazy enough to pay me many multiples of what it’s worth, I would probably sell my collection even earlier. But while it’s an interesting hypothetical, it seems highly improbable.

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 02-12-2023, 12:15 PM
Fred

Quote:

I rarely sell things and when I do it's usually because I have a dupe of the card or I've just want to thin things out and have a few $$ for something else that interests me more at that time.

There was an interesting thread recently about heirs being able to value cards/collectibles at the date of death of the collector.
This seems to provide some possibly interesting tax advantages for the heirs.
But then again, if you're looking at 1000s of cards, it would become an undertaking unless the heirs had a clue about current values.

I knew someone that sold off a significant portion of his collection so that his family wouldn't have to deal with it. But that was a while back before tax reporting for AHs or even fleabay became a "thing".
Old 02-12-2023, 12:29 PM

Sad Story. Some people weren't ready to sell.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/20/us/ne...rnd/index.html
Old 02-12-2023, 12:56 PM
Bruce Mattioli

Like article stated, we are just "custodians" of items until the next collector comes along and adds it to theirs..
Old 02-12-2023, 01:34 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmattioli View Post
Like article stated, we are just "custodians" of items until the next collector comes along and adds it to theirs..
Don’t forget the old adage that no one can stop you from being buried with your cards…

Although I suspect that my wife and kids would probably slip in reprints, and sell the originals.

1963 Post complete panel
Old 02-12-2023, 03:28 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksfarmboy View Post
There was a time I would have never sold anything but with the passing of my mother I reevaluated things in my life.
My condolences, Clint. Both of my parents died in a three month period last summer, and it definitely rebalances your mental portfolio in ways you might not have expected. I've always been willing to sell stuff for the right price, but now selling something from my PC seems far less consequential than it was a decade ago. I am not only contemplating selling a lot more stuff, my purchases have fallen way off. I haven't even kept up with my International Boxing HOF collection for the class of 2023 named in December. Normally, I'd go run down something for each inductee very soon after the election.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 02-12-2023, 05:59 PM
D/e/@/n H/@/c/k/e/t/t

If/when I start selling a few cards, it will be to fund any traveling trips we plan on taking. One just might be on the horizon.
Old 02-12-2023, 06:39 PM
Clint

Thanks Adam and my condolences to you as well. It definitely changes your perspective.
Old 02-12-2023, 07:29 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

I intend to keep until death. It’s possible I’ll sell off certain things I’ve accumulated and don’t value much, but the core will not be going anywhere, unless I really screw up and get myself into a financial problem where I have no real choice. There’s little point in retirement if I must sell everything; I look forward to retirement so I can spend more card time and having fun. Plus, it would be breaking a number of deals I’ve made with people I’ve got stuff from if I just turned around and sold the items to realize a profit.
Old 02-12-2023, 11:36 PM

Selling to cover medical bills. Some cards I will not sell.
Old 02-13-2023, 06:19 AM
Tony Baldwin

For me, when I was collecting cards, it just became too much for me. I wanted to collect everything (with modern cards that's easy to do). It became too expensive, plus I had boxes and boxes of cards that I rarely looked at. That's when I decided to switch from baseball cards to baseball game used memorabilia. There's not a lot of baseball game used memorabilia to choose from, so it's much easier for me to be selective in what I buy, and it helps me keep things under control with my spending. I think I just hit a wall with collecting cards, so it was easy for me to sell them. I didn't have any regrets.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Juan Collection.jpg (39.0 KB, 316 views)

Last edited by SyrNy1960; 02-13-2023 at 06:20 AM.
Old 02-13-2023, 07:04 AM

At the end of the day pre-war cards are pieces of old cardboard with renderings of dead former baseball players on them that 99.9% of the world has never heard of. I think you're on the right track.
Old 02-13-2023, 07:42 AM
pete ullman

My current mindset is that I will likely sell my collection once I retire…gradually… to supplant my income and minimize the tax burden.
Old 02-13-2023, 07:51 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

One of the things that pushed me persobnally away from cards a bit is just the never ending sales of more and more. And more and more discoveries. I have a decent looking card I'm happy with, and now there are 15 of them at auction this very minute far superior to mine. I know the answer is be happy with what you have, but the specialness of some of this seems to have waned for me in the never ending auction cycle we now live in. A massive catalog gets dropped on my front steps now once a week. What was special now is just a regular churn. Obviously many people feel differently.

A card is a card is a card. The player never owned it and never touched it. Memorabilia is a different story in many cases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3arod13 View Post
For me, when I was collecting cards, it just became too much for me. I wanted to collect everything (with modern cards that's easy to do). It became too expensive, plus I had boxes and boxes of cards that I rarely looked at. That's when I decided to switch from baseball cards to baseball game used memorabilia. There's not a lot of baseball game used memorabilia to choose from, so it's much easier for me to be selective in what I buy, and it helps me keep things under control with my spending. I think I just hit a wall with collecting cards, so it was easy for me to sell them. I didn't have any regrets.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 02-13-2023 at 07:54 AM.
Old 02-13-2023, 08:09 AM
Ben North

After 35 or so years in the hobby my wants have changed many many times. I sell the stuff I no longer care about to feed my newest collecting wants.

With the bigger cards I do what I call card renting. Over time I have owned many of the big cards. I just don't have more than a few at a time. I sell one to own another.

I was gifted many vintage(1960s) cards as a little kid. I never got into collecting till my late teens. So I have always sold cards to make new purchases. After those 35 or so years in the hobby I have never spent a single penny out of pocket for any of my collection.

So if you see me selling something it is to buy something else.
Old 02-13-2023, 08:19 AM
Steve Birmingham

I'm nearly the opposite of the OP.

I hardly ever sell anything.

And my collection, while generally cheaper stuff other than some lucky buys is very wide ranging. I suspect some of it is in the "unique but not really desirable" category. Like newspaper ad supplements with sports figures in the ads. Not old, and who saved that stuff from the 80's or 90's?

Now that I'm pretty sure the kids won't want to continue the collection that's changing. Sort of sad and happy all at once.
Old 02-13-2023, 09:09 AM
Tony Baldwin

Quote:
A card is a card is a card. The player never owned it and never touched it. Memorabilia is a different story in many cases.
That is one of the reasons I switched. Collecting cards for more than 30 years was a blast! But with modern cards, it was just becoming too much and too expensive; and I quit long before all of this craziness of today. If these current modern collectors, flippers, or investors think 10 years from now they will get even close to half the amount they are paying today for these high dollar cards...it's not happening.

But even since I stopped collecting cards, I still like looking. Just don't have the desire to pull the trigger for a $75,000 rookie card of a player who is in their 1st or 2nd year and has a lot of potential.

Collecting game used memorabilia is at a much slower pace, but still enjoyable. With cards, I couldn't keep up with what I was buying and what I had in my collection.

I plan to sell all of my stuff before I die; however, I don't know how to determine when that is
Old 02-13-2023, 09:15 AM
Drew W@i$e

Quote:

For me, I mostly sell when I upgrade something. Otherwise, everything else is PC.

Steve, what you said about people asking why you are selling is interesting. I have been approached as well and know several of members that were asked this same question. Very strange, I wonder why all the spin up. Personally, I don't care why someone sells, it has no bearing on my collection.
Old 02-13-2023, 09:23 AM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkplace33 View Post
For me, I mostly sell when I upgrade something. Otherwise, everything else is PC.

Steve, what you said about people asking why you are selling is interesting. I have been approached as well and know several of members that were asked this same question. Very strange, I wonder why all the spin up. Personally, I don't care why someone sells, it has no bearing on my collection.
Probably everyone trying to decide when the music stops, and therefore when it's time to get out before the market crashes.

1963 Post complete panel
Old 02-13-2023, 09:23 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkplace33 View Post

Maybe they are hoping you need some cash and they can get a good deal buying some of your cards at bargain prices.
Old 02-13-2023, 11:05 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Most people that inquire why are looking for an angle or are paranoid, not confident in the market or cards.
Old 02-13-2023, 11:13 AM
Bob Donaldson

Good question. I am 61 and have a lot of cards. Complete, or near complete sets of most Goudey, Payballs, Topps (up to 80), Bowman, plus about 3000 lower condition Topps/Bowman doubles. And I'm still buying. I've always thought that when I reached about 70 I would start selling off a lot of the bulk, cards/sets that don't mean that much to me. Easy to say now, will be tough when I reach 70. I will probably adjust my plan to start when I am 75 :-)
Old 02-13-2023, 12:07 PM
Joe

I am thinking about selling also. Been collecting for 50 years. I collect for the enjoyment of the hobby not for the financial aspect. I do not ever recall selling a single card in all my years of collecting.

But as I grow older, material things just do not seem as important to me any longer. I have no heirs. A couple of my nephews love the NBA and NFL but show no interest in baseball much less collecting. I may will my collection to one of the nephews so he may liquidate and enjoy the proceeds. Not really willing to sell to a dealer.
Old 02-13-2023, 12:07 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
One of the things that pushed me persobnally away from cards a bit is just the never ending sales of more and more. And more and more discoveries. I have a decent looking card I'm happy with, and now there are 15 of them at auction this very minute far superior to mine. I know the answer is be happy with what you have, but the specialness of some of this seems to have waned for me in the never ending auction cycle we now live in. A massive catalog gets dropped on my front steps now once a week. What was special now is just a regular churn. Obviously many people feel differently.

For me, I need to collect cards that I don't see every day.

And you only get 1 massive catalog a week? You don't bid in enough auctions, apparently!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t208.jpg (195.6 KB, 195 views)
Old 02-13-2023, 12:53 PM
Paul Lehr

At 49 I've been collecting for 40+ years and looking back it seems like once a decade I have a minor/major sell off for one reason or another. This last one has been the biggest and started in 2019/2020 when we decided to build a house, and hasn't really stopped yet. Every month I'm selling more than I'm buying and the more I sell the more I seem to be okay with it.
I'm sure I'll always collect something, but the desire to collect everything and amass rooms full of stuff seems to be long gone.
Old 02-13-2023, 02:26 PM
J@mes In.gram

I only buy and collect cards and other stuff I like and plan to keep. Occasionally I trade. My wife and daughter know what I have and what to do if I should croak. Pertains mainly to the high-value items that are in the safe deposit box.

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***
Old 02-13-2023, 02:40 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

[QUOTE=Leon;2314063]For me, I need to collect cards that I don't see every day.

That I totally get.
Old 02-13-2023, 04:31 PM
+0m J()rd@N

I had a friend who replied, when asked if he would sell any of the 'find' of 1950s Topps he uncovered, "No, that would be like selling my kids"
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 02-13-2023, 04:46 PM
Drew W@i$e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
Most people that inquire why are looking for an angle or are paranoid, not confident in the market or cards.
Agreed or seeking approval for what they spend/collect.