NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 09-11-2016, 08:08 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Default PSA Gradings

For you guys who helped me learn a great deal about photos, one more question:

How accurate do you believe PSA grading is when they say something is Type I? Have you seen examples where you believe they are wrong, or is it pretty rock solid? I am mostly a card guy, and they do make the occasional blunder there. Not trying to slam them, just trying to get a feel what you think about professional graders on photos.

Similarly, maybe the same question, is this really an exact science, or just an educated guess?
Old 09-11-2016, 09:31 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I assume they are reliable. They don't give condition grades, so their photo authentication bypasses that can of worms.

There is educated judgment involved in photo authentication, including judging if the image was made from an original negative, but determining that a photo is old involves science. You can accurately judge the age of photopaper and certain age signs only appear after many years.

My dad was an engineering professor, questioning of his only son going into art history-- until he found out how much science is involved in authentication and dating. Sometimes the tables are turned and I teach him the science.

You can always ask for a second opinion before buying. I'm not a sports photo buyer, so you can ask me.

Last edited by drcy; 09-11-2016 at 10:14 AM.
Old 09-11-2016, 10:14 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Thanks. It's just a little weird that it seems none of these grading companies will let anyone behind the curtain and explain what they actually do. I am sure when you spend $15M at Sothebys for some rare Picasso that shows up out of nowhere they have no hesitation explaining each and every step to you as to how it was authenticated.
Old 09-11-2016, 10:24 AM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Personally, I don't pay attention to grading when it comes to photos. Considering that these photos were not collector's items at the time, most should have some wear on them from use in a newspaper publication setting. To me, I look at the gross condition of the photo rather than small detail. A clipped corner of a border means nothing to me as far as what I'll pay, whereas a figure being fully cut out will make a big difference with some milld ground changes as well. Another thing to consider are publication marks, like grease pencil, etc. Some like them like that as it shows they were used. Others would rather have them totally clean. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

What I mean is this...
This type of condition doesn't change the price in my mind but...

This definitely does...

Do I need someone to put a numerical grade on it to tell me that there is a difference? NO.

That all being said, if someone can figure out a way to make money on it, I wouldn't be surprised if it does start happening. THere are always people with lots of money who want the ego trip of having the best of the best of the best, so will pay through the nose for something labeled "perfect" or "10".

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 09-11-2016, 11:57 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Don't care about grades either, but don't want to pay real bucks for a Ruth photo that someone printed last week and artificially aged.
Old 09-11-2016, 12:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Don't care about grades either, but don't want to pay real bucks for a Ruth photo that someone printed last week and artificially aged.
You should definitely invest in yee/fogels baseball photography book if youre planning on getting into photo collecting. Theres tons of great information thatll help you along the way. You can use it as a reference whenever youre getting ready to buy a photo. Also Henry yee is very very knowledgeable so when you send your photos to psa he will be the one authenticating them. That being said unless there is a news stamp or date stamp no one can know for sure when the photo was printed. The paper type can tell you around what era but you still cant narrow it down to 2 years unless theres some kind of stamp to indicate that. So just remember that when youre looking at original photos
Old 09-11-2016, 12:41 PM
Banned

And photo grading is just retarded in my opinion. I see beckett doing it and it makes no sense. The markings and other imperfections alot of the times are from handling and/or the news agencies doing when they were used for editorial purposes. Part of the history of the photo. Unlike baseball cards
Old 09-11-2016, 02:53 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Default Good god here we go...:)

Psa is better than anyone in determining if it is a type 1 or not as it is their system. Every other authentication company copied the system in one way or another and their research.
That said, everyone makes mistakes. So do your own research.
A Psa type 1 letter is a wonderful start if you are going to buy a 10k photo but also know why it was classified as such. It is a good way to preserve your investment t as well.
There is a lot of regurgitation in this thread so be sure to ask the right people the right questions and you will be good.
You seem to be doing well this far.

*edited*
Authentication and grading are separate things obviously.
1) is it an authentic type 1?
2) what would it grade?

Drc(very knowledgable and has written books/trailblazer in the photo hobby) is right in that Psa got is right. They don't numeric grade photos for many of the reasons stated in this thread(and probably will never).

Mark(also very knowledgable) doesn't care about the condition is much as many others. I can say that I also do not need a "mint" photo but certainly would like a nicer example if available.

Rmy/Rhys(hi) is also very knowledgeable. He would be a good contact as you know. He applies a grade but only as a guide obviously(I believe). These are not baseball cards. There is no way to grade these across the board/consistantly unless you grade them as such.

These are photos.. Works of art. I would rather have a complete Mona Lisa than one not whole or damaged. That said. If there is an iconic image and there is only one example available or if a higher example would run 50 times more, I might buy it. They were used and a little wear is expected.
Everyone has their own tolerance and price points. Buying a lower conditioned photo does not mean one has bad taste just like someone paying a premium for a mint example doesn't make them an ego maniac.
If everything was equal, one would be a complete fool not to take a nicer specimen.

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection

Last edited by Forever Young; 09-11-2016 at 03:34 PM.
Old 09-11-2016, 06:09 PM
Nick Barnes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Thanks. It's just a little weird that it seems none of these grading companies will let anyone behind the curtain and explain what they actually do. I am sure when you spend $15M at Sothebys for some rare Picasso that shows up out of nowhere they have no hesitation explaining each and every step to you as to how it was authenticated.
not really. There's a reason a guy like Elmyr got away with forging late 19th century masters for 30 years. Nobody asked because nobody wanted to know.