NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

View Poll Results: Do Baines and/or Smith belong in the Hall of Fame?
Yes to both 48 10.98%
Yes to Baines, No to Smith 4 0.92%
Yes to Smith, No to Baines 182 41.65%
No to both 203 46.45%
Voters: 437. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-13-2018, 08:45 PM
Ben Silva
Ben Sil.va

Baines was my favorite player growing up, and I'm happy to see the guy get attention, but he does not belong in the hall.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:53 AM
Jim

Yes to Lee Smith but don't know enough about Herold Baines. I believe if the top "10" of every position get in then why not the top 10 of closers and DHers? JMHO
Old 12-14-2018, 11:03 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensie View Post
Baines was my favorite player growing up, and I'm happy to see the guy get attention, but he does not belong in the hall.

Hey, he also got a statue...Tom Seaver doesn't have one!

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 12-14-2018, 11:55 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

If it's a player whose career I watched, I consider whether he was dominant during his era. Then I look at stats to see if it backs up my gut feeling. Lee Smith was pretty much a dominant closer in his time in my mind, or at least close to it. Baines was a top player but never really dominant. I think the stats bear that out. And lastly: how can anyone argue that Baines belongs in the HOF but Steve Garvey doesn't? Garvey was clearly a more dominant player during his career. Dave Parker probably too. I don't get it.

Last edited by calvindog; 12-14-2018 at 11:56 AM.
Old 12-14-2018, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
If it's a player whose career I watched, I consider whether he was dominant during his era. Then I look at stats to see if it backs up my gut feeling. Lee Smith was pretty much a dominant closer in his time in my mind, or at least close to it. Baines was a top player but never really dominant. I think the stats bear that out. And lastly: how can anyone argue that Baines belongs in the HOF but Steve Garvey doesn't? Garvey was clearly a more dominant player during his career. Dave Parker probably too. I don't get it.
Don't forget Dale Murphy or Don Mattingly or etc. etc.
Old 12-14-2018, 01:42 PM

Why is the prevailing view that Smith was a dominant closer? Dominant in what way? He gave up almost a hit per inning over his entire career. Is there really all that much that separates him from John Franco?
Old 12-14-2018, 01:44 PM

Default It's not just about stats

I would pick Baines over Garvey, but then I have followed him since he played High School ball in St. Michaels, MD in the 1970's

Baines Hits - 2866 - Home Runs - 384 RBI's - 1628
Garvey Hits - 2599 - Home Runs - 272 RBI's - 1308
--
Baines ranks: 4th 3 Home Run games (3)
7th Grand Slams (13)
7th Walk Off Home Runs (10)
7th Games Played
10th RBI's

For me, it's not just about the stats a player puts up. It's what he gives to
the game of baseball and how he lives his life. Harold Baines gave MLB over 30 years as a player and coach, and his personal life had no issues.
I do agree that Steve Garvey also belongs. He did have those issues in his personal life that he termed his "midlife disaster".

Last edited by CTDean; 12-14-2018 at 01:46 PM.
Old 12-14-2018, 01:56 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTDean View Post
I would pick Baines over Garvey, but then I have followed him since he played High School ball in St. Michaels, MD in the 1970's

Baines Hits - 2866 Home Runs - 384 RBI's - 1628
Garvey Hits - 2599 Home Runs - 272 RBI's - 1308

Baines ranks: 4th 3 Home Run games (3)
7th Grand Slams (13)
7th Walk Off Home Runs (10)
7th Games Played
10th RBI's

For me, it's not just about the stats a player puts up. It's what he gives to
the game of baseball and how he lives his life. Harold Baines gave MLB over 30 years as a player and coach, and his personal life had no issues.
I do agree that Steve Garvey also belongs. He did have those issues in his personal life that he termed his "midlife disaster".
Garvey had ten AS appearances to six for Baines despite six less seasons and 1100 less ABs.

Also Garvey had six top 10 MVP seasons (including five in the top six in the MVP vote) with one win; Baines had just two top 10 MVP years and never came close to winning one (highest vote total was ninth). Garvey was the much better player year in and year out and had a bigger impact on the league.

Garvey also won four Gold Gloves and Baines won none. All Baines has over Garvey is longevity, although Garvey retired with the most consecutive games played streak in NL history, including the fourth most all-time.

Lastly, and most galling, Garvey received 42% of votes to make the HOF in his best year; Baines? Highest percentage of votes was 6.1%. It's not even close.

Last edited by calvindog; 12-14-2018 at 01:58 PM.
Old 12-14-2018, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Garvey had ten AS appearances to six for Baines despite six less seasons and 1100 less ABs.

Also Garvey had six top 10 MVP seasons (including five in the top six in the MVP vote) with one win; Baines had just two top 10 MVP years and never came close to winning one (highest vote total was ninth). Garvey was the much better player year in and year out and had a bigger impact on the league.

Garvey also won four Gold Gloves and Baines won none. All Baines has over Garvey is longevity, although Garvey retired with the most consecutive games played streak in NL history, including the fourth most all-time.

Lastly, and most galling, Garvey received 42% of votes to make the HOF in his best year; Baines? Highest percentage of votes was 6.1%. It's not even close.
Agreed. Garvey was considered by most people to be one of the top superstars in the game when he played, even if the advanced metrics indicate he was somewhat overrated. Not so with Baines.
Old 12-14-2018, 05:40 PM
Larry

Quote:
I agree completely on Lee Smith--a dominant closer for a long time. Baines, who I saw a great deal of, however, was, IMHO, a good player who was never ever one of the ten best players in the AL at any time while he was active, let alone the entire major leagues. He was simply an accumulator--a compiler, whose career stats would have been much more impressive had he put them together over 15 years or less, rather than 22. There has been virtually nothing but criticism over Baines' selection on MLB Now by not only the hosts but every knowledgeable guest. This was a veteran's committee that didn't have a clue, despite its apparent experience (it's always possible to have a great deal of experience and learn virtually nothing from it!). Baines as one of the top 1.3% to ever play ball? Does a bear knock on your front door to ask to come in to use the indoor toilet facilities? Not a chance!!!

Highest regards,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 12-14-2018 at 05:41 PM.
Old 12-14-2018, 06:32 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Agree with Jeff....Steve Garvey should be in, and Dale Murphy should be as well IMO....I dont get Baines or Smith being in the Hall.....Dale Murphy was back to back MVP's for a Braves team that was absolutely horrific...

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 12-14-2018 at 06:36 PM.
Old 12-14-2018, 06:46 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 View Post
Agree with Jeff....Steve Garvey should be in, and Dale Murphy should be as well IMO....I dont get Baines or Smith being in the Hall.....Dale Murphy was back to back MVP's for a Braves team that was absolutely horrific...
Murphy had 2000 less ABs than Baines -- and a lifetime WAR 8 points higher.
Old 12-14-2018, 06:51 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

This is what I really don't understand. Baines' HOF voting totals before getting in:

2007 BBWAA ( 5.3%)
2008 BBWAA ( 5.2%)
2009 BBWAA ( 5.9%)
2010 BBWAA ( 6.1%)
2011 BBWAA ( 4.8%)

Then in 2019 he gets in????? After never getting more than 6.1 % of the vote????

Garvey's HOF voting totals:

1993 BBWAA (41.6%)
1994 BBWAA (36.4%)
1995 BBWAA (42.6%)
1996 BBWAA (37.2%)
1997 BBWAA (35.3%)
1998 BBWAA (41.2%)
1999 BBWAA (30.2%)
2000 BBWAA (32.1%)
2001 BBWAA (34.2%)
2002 BBWAA (28.4%)
2003 BBWAA (27.8%)
2004 BBWAA (24.3%)
2005 BBWAA (20.5%)
2006 BBWAA (26.0%)
2007 BBWAA (21.1%)

And not a whiff from the Veterans' Committee.
Old 12-14-2018, 06:53 PM
Richard Simon

Baines had two guys lobbying very hard for him.
They must have been owed a few favors.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 12-14-2018, 07:07 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Baines getting in is a joke IMO....I dont get it. He had a batting average of .280 with the White sox for 14 years.....Big Deal! Lifetime average .289??? What am I missing??

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 12-14-2018 at 07:15 PM.
Old 12-14-2018, 07:12 PM
Peter Spaeth

I believe Garvey also had 6 or even more 200 hit seasons. There is no question that for a decade, he was an elite player. He was unpopular with the writers which surely hurt him in the voting.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-14-2018, 07:22 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Baines getting in is a joke IMO....I dont get it. He had a batting average of .280 with the White sox for 14 years.....Big Deal! Lifetime average .289??? What am I missing??
Lee Smith...71-92 W-L record, 3.05 ERA.....What am I missing with this guy? Is there any other pitcher in the Hall with a losing record?? Just saying....

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 12-14-2018 at 07:26 PM.
Old 12-14-2018, 07:23 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Lee Smith...71-92 W-L record, 3.05 ERA.....What am I missing with this guy?
Saves.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-14-2018, 07:38 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Saves.
I get that Peter, but it can even more amplify his ERA with the situations he inherits....
Old 12-14-2018, 08:22 PM
Kenny Cole

This has been going on since at least 1946. I'm neither surprised nor concerned. It really all depends upon your viewpoint about what the HOF is or should be. I'm not a small hall guy, so I am sure I am less unhappy than small hall folks are. But I would suggest that even small hall folks would have to acknowledge (grudgingly) that Baines isn't even close to the worst of some of the other folks who have been elected. I understand that I would also get the explanations about why that doesn't or shouldn't matter and how that "waters down" the HOF. But, irrespective of all that, the fact is that the HOF was "watered down" 72 years ago, and, depending on how you view Sisler, maybe 7 years earlier. It happened. Smith and Baines are both members. I'm pretty sure the world isn't going to end because of this vote.
Old 12-14-2018, 08:31 PM
Peter Spaeth

LOL that's a pretty low standard Kenny. I doubt the world is going to end because of anything we discuss here.

Old 12-14-2018, 08:38 PM
Kenny Cole

Nor will the HOF cease to exist as we know it.
Old 12-14-2018, 09:19 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

My wife thinks men are effing this (among most other things) up and women should take over the voting. It's getting harder to disagree with her.
Old 12-14-2018, 11:26 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Why is the prevailing view that Smith was a dominant closer? Dominant in what way? He gave up almost a hit per inning over his entire career. Is there really all that much that separates him from John Franco?
I don't get it either. 1.256 WHIP. That's not even remotely dominant for a reliever.

No one thought they were watching a HOFer when Smith was pitching.
Old 12-15-2018, 04:26 AM
Barry Sloate

Nothing is the end of the world- well maybe the apocalypse and Armageddon are, but that's it- but it's clear from the numbers above, showing that Baines never received more than 6% of the vote, that his election was a product of HOF politics and knowing the right people.

Last edited by barrysloate; 12-15-2018 at 04:29 AM.
Old 12-15-2018, 06:12 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

If ever a fraud was committed on the HOF this is it. A guy who gets a few votes over a few years is suddenly elevated and inducted over players who came close to getting in with votes over a 15 year period? It makes no sense and devalues the HOF. At least Lee Smith once got 50% of the vote. Baines got less than 10% of what Gil Hodges received -- and he's in and Hodges isn't.
Old 12-15-2018, 08:17 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

I purchase the Hall Of Fame Plaque postcards directly from Cooperstown. I update my set every 4-5 years to bring it up to date. With the induction of Baines I am giving serious thought to discontinuing this endeavor. If Cooperstown doesn’t comp me the Baines PC, I’m outta there.

I’ll keep my fifty cents. Take that Cooperstown.

If I have offended any forum members with my “tough” talk, I apologize and beg for your forgiveness.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 12-15-2018, 08:32 AM
Peter Spaeth

Don't Tinker with a long-standing practice, he isn't the worst HOFer Evers. I do agree though the voters should be Slaughtered.

Old 12-15-2018, 09:14 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Don't Tinker with a long-standing practice, he isn't the worst HOFer Evers. I do agree though the voters should be Slaughtered.
Slaughter actually doesn't bother me. I don't mind taking into account time lost fighting for our country and Slaughter lost possibly his three best years (age 27-29) Even if you only credit him with an average of the season before and the season after his service x 3 he gets super close to 3000 hits, over 70 WAR, 1500 runs, 1600 RBI, 500 doubles, 180 triples If you credit him for his best season x 3, which is more likely, it's even more impressive.

Add on 5 top 10 MVP seasons including 2nd the year before he left for the war and 3rd the year he came back, again likely he gets 3 more top 5 finishes, possibly a win.

Mickey Vernon was a slightly inferior version of Slaughter and he only lost 2 years, but he played for shit teams unlike Slaughter, and I often wish he'd get some veteran's consideration.

Now if you thought the voters should be Kelled, I might be on board!
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 12-15-2018, 11:33 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

The voters are continually pushing the wrong Sutton.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 12-16-2018, 02:30 AM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

They've made a Maz out of this situation, doling out inductions like Candy. Maybe they were overstuffed on Catfish Rizzuto.
Old 12-16-2018, 09:40 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabe View Post
They've made a Maz out of this situation, doling out inductions like Candy. Maybe they were overstuffed on Catfish Rizzuto.
It's a Travis-ty (Jackson).

Old 12-17-2018, 02:17 AM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
It's a Travis-ty (Jackson).
It's enough to make a Feller Dizzy.
Old 12-18-2018, 07:31 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

There Mel to be a Vernon against this type of Wally.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 12-18-2018, 07:38 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
You just went from first among posters to last.

Old 12-18-2018, 08:05 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
You just went from first among posters to last.
And who crowned you the Tris of the Frank?

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:21 AM
Charles
Charlie Ma.nn

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Jennings got that Harry!

Last edited by BengoughingForAwhile; 12-18-2018 at 08:40 AM.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:33 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default Pardon My Digression

Harold isn’t Harry for the Dick.

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:39 AM
Tim M

sure has boosted Baines Rookie card. lol
Old 12-18-2018, 06:53 PM
Jay Swartz

Default Compared to their peers

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac32 View Post
Keep in mind that you need to compare them with their peers. Clear yes for Big Lee! Bains was a good player but not HOF calibur.
yes to smith, no to baines.

smith was the dominant closer of his league for a number of years, the best man any manager could want coming out of the pen. he was the all time leader in saves when he retired.

baines only ranked in the top three of ANY of the more than one dozen offensive categories ONE TIME over 22 seasons. that means he never came within the top three of anything such as hits, doubles, triples, homers, batting average, RBI, walks, plate appearances, runs scored, etc., even though he had hundreds of chances. and he did almost nothing on defense, never came close to leading anything on that side of the diamond and actually only played the field a handful of years.

so what made him a HOFer? if not his bat, or his legs, or his glove, or his arm....what is left to evaluate? answer: political connections?
Old 12-19-2018, 01:03 AM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayandbutton View Post
yes to smith, no to baines.

smith was the dominant closer of his league for a number of years, the best man any manager could want coming out of the pen. he was the all time leader in saves when he retired.
When exactly was Smith "the" dominant closer in his league for a number of years? In the NL through 1984 (at least), Sutter was better. That leaves 85-87 in the NL. Smith wasn't "the" guy those three years either. Then he goes over to the AL where Eck was better. Then back to the NL where he's pretty clearly the best guy in 1991 & 92 but "dominant" is up for debate unless you only look at saves. After that, he bounces around but is clearly not dominant.

So maybe two years?

Last edited by Tabe; 12-19-2018 at 01:04 AM.
Old 12-19-2018, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantlefan View Post
I always like to see some form of dominance in a Hall member. I voted yes for Smith because when he retired he was #1 in career saves.

Baines just chugged along for 22 years. Six All-Star games. Never once in the top 5 in the MVP vote. I gave him a "no".
if you look at Baines stats, he should’ve retired after his first 10 seasons.
Old 12-19-2018, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Simmons View Post
if you look at Baines stats, he should’ve retired after his first 10 seasons.
After his 10th season, Baines had seasons with an OPS+ 143, 137, 142, 132 and 136 and was above average every year but his last two in which he was a part time player. He was an All Star twice and even had a few top 10s. Baines was a very good player for most of his career. The problem was that he was never a truly great player, not that he hung on too long.
Old 12-19-2018, 11:59 AM

I always liked Bill Madlock, would take him on my team any day over Harold Baines. Now that Baines is in, I would put Madlock in the "snubbed" category. Heck, he actually won 4 batting titles - he did something. Don't think Baines even won one, or was even that close .
Old 12-19-2018, 01:03 PM

Can someone tell me how much distance exists between the supposedly "dominant" Lee Smith and the decidedly not "dominant" John Franco?

Last edited by packs; 12-19-2018 at 01:03 PM.
Old 12-19-2018, 09:02 PM
Tony S.ti.ns.a
Tony Stins.a

Default Distance Franco to Smith?

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Can someone tell me how much distance exists between the supposedly "dominant" Lee Smith and the decidedly not "dominant" John Franco?
True Smith was more dominant. But in this card, they are only about an inch apart:

[I]1995 Topps #394

https://www.google.com/search?client...i7L9WBTg7T_PM:
Old 12-20-2018, 06:20 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreader3 View Post
I voted "no" to both. But I did buy four autographed Smith & Baines Topps cards on eBay last night for my HOF autograph collection. HOF is a thing.
I have Smith's rookie card, but don't need Baines, as simply stated, he doesn't make my personal HOF. That was one committee that didn't have a clue about doing their job.

Regards,

Larry
Old 12-20-2018, 06:27 PM
Peter Spaeth

11.9 percent for Baines.
52.6 percent for Smith.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 12-20-2018 at 06:27 PM.