NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-29-2018, 06:12 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepony View Post
Botched ending cost me a high dollar whale... and the consignor a lot of cash.
which card
Old 10-29-2018, 06:17 AM
Dave_Berg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
which card
The 54 Mantle Stahl Meyer. My last bid was at 1137. My bid was high at midnight. Never got an outbid text. Would have gone several thousand higher. Had no idea auction was again extended. Oh well. Should I have used autobid- in retrospect yes...but I didnt know I was participating in a flawed system. Text alerts set up with HA. No worries, it happens.

Last edited by Stonepony; 10-29-2018 at 06:23 AM.
Old 10-29-2018, 06:33 AM
Sam Sw@rtz

Like most, I encountered some bidding issues, and like some, I lost out on a white whale. But I didn't lose the card because of the bidding issues. I lost because some schmo wanted it more than I did and put in a higher bid. I figure I had the better part of a month to put in a crazy high bid with a high probability of winning, but I didn't. It was my bad.

I know the technical issues suck, but personally, I think Brian and team made the right adjustments given the circumstances.

Last edited by mechanicalman; 10-29-2018 at 06:35 AM.
Old 10-29-2018, 06:47 AM

I rarely agree with a Wolverine, but I totally agree with you here Sam.

+1
Old 10-29-2018, 06:51 AM
Tony Conte

I also agree Brian and his team did his best and wouldn't think twice to
consign again with him. It was a tough night for sure and Brian handled
it professionally.
Old 10-29-2018, 08:51 AM

I have the most upmost respect for REA...but after all that went on last night and the fact that the issues here on the west coast where quite horrible i just walked away from my computer and just gave up on the auction after multiple hours of trying to bid. These issues ran for a good part of the afternoon. and to be honest i figure REA and the Consignor lost out on 5-10k in additional income.

The argument could be made that i should just put my top bid from the get go...but lets be honest that is not the way that I personally run auctions. So this is on me. But hind site....knowing that these issues effected people for more than just a few hours. They should extended the bidding by one full day.

I am sure if you tack on my bids in addition to all of the others REA lost out (PURE GUESS) to be really clear atleast 100-150k in additional income. But that is just a pure guess i am throwing a number out there...

But it happens...there will always be another auction but REA should change its policies where if there are major website issues that last longer than X they should allow for a full day extension. It only benefits them and the Consignor and ironically the bidders that really want the item.

Just my two cents right or wrong.

And did anyone see that 59 Aaron psa 8 for 900$ ~ something tells me someone either miss bid or the website was causing bidding issues
Old 10-29-2018, 09:05 AM

https://bid.robertedwardauctions.com...e?itemid=52427

Whoever got this one got a pretty good deal I think...
Old 10-29-2018, 07:02 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

The auction was a disaster but I was able to put in bids on all the cards I wanted although with difficulty and maddening frustration. That being said I think many people gave up as the ending was not a frenzy. So if you wanted the cards you could get them -- as long as you were willing to stay up unti 1:30 am on the east coast on a Sunday night. Not many can and my ass is dragging today. In addition, the continued extended closing cost ceiling bidders some money.

REA is my favorite auction house and in my mind the epitome of honesty and professiamlsim in our hobby. But last night was a disaster and they will have a hard time convincing people to consign big ticket items now. Some good faith gesture should occur as many people are pissed. In addition it's time to upgrade their bandwidth as this can't happen again.

Last edited by calvindog; 10-29-2018 at 07:04 AM.
Old 10-29-2018, 07:16 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

I thought it had ended when I couldnt get the pages up. Outbid on every single item anyhow, so they wont miss my revenue

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 10-29-2018, 07:32 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default The Perfect Storm

Once a problem like this occurs, bidders and consignors both ramp up their efforts to access the auction site to try to bid or follow their consignments. The timing of the problem at the peak activity of a normal auction was critical.

The irony is that thousands of folks continually trying to access the site because of the problem no doubt compounded the problem and made it worse and incapable of being resolved in a reasonable amount of real time as the countdown clock ticked away.

Pick your storm, but if a hurricane is large enough and strong enough, everybody gets blown away and wet. The service provider, the auction house, the bidders and the consignors all must pick up the pieces and move on.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 10-29-2018, 07:32 AM
Seth

https://bid.robertedwardauctions.com...e?itemid=51659

Whoah. That's a very strong price.
Old 10-29-2018, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbernard View Post
I love that card and was an under-bidder. It's a little bit outside my normal collection focus but I think it's a great looking card. There's not a lot of market comparisons for this card.
Old 10-29-2018, 07:44 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Once a problem like this occurs, bidders and consignors both ramp up their efforts to access the auction site to try to bid or follow their consignments. The timing of the problem at the peak activity of a normal auction was critical.

The irony is that thousands of folks continually trying to access the site because of the problem no doubt compounded the problem and made it worse and incapable of being resolved in a reasonable amount of real time as the countdown clock ticked away.

Pick your storm, but if a hurricane is large enough and strong enough, everybody gets blown away and wet. The service provider, the auction house, the bidders and the consignors all must pick up the pieces and move on.
What?? Where is the humor in this post Frank ???
Old 10-29-2018, 07:49 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
What?? Where is the humor in this post Frank ???
All 20+ items I was interested in when for prices well above what I thought was fair market value. Not saying I wouldn't be a little miffed if I was a consignor, but I didn't see anyone running away with any steals.
Old 10-29-2018, 07:58 AM
Fred

I was underbidder on (3) lots. I knew my bid was topped on two of the items but when I checked the other item I was on top until after the auction ended. So what does that mean? Mo money for another auction.

I look at the REA track record and I see an anomaly like this as unusual and can be addressed as "shit happens".

Life without an REA catalog during the year would be just miserable. Admit it, we're all like 6 year old children when that catalog arrives.
Old 10-29-2018, 07:01 AM
Bry@n

I disagree with all of the "ample time to bid" arguments. I think a fraction of people put in high ceiling bids and wait to see them chipped away. Most of us bid in the OT, and often as late as we can stomach staying up. I know I watched a Wajo rppc I liked in the last auction go from about $5k to about $15k over the last 30-45 minutes before close this spring. Last night I couldnt get the site to load for almost all of the time between 815 pm CST and midnight CST when I gave up.

There may have been some strong prices but REA always brings lots of strong prices bc people send them great stuff and the fact that some stuff sold strong does not mean that everything played out as it would have if the system worked properly. If bidders could only get to the site for a fraction of the last 4-5 hours, there is no arguing that this snafu didn't cost REA a lot of bids because people got pissed and gave up, as people have admitted, or kept trying to bid but couldn't and eventually had to go to bed. Many aren't willing to keep calling in bids - and how are people supposed to know they have been out bid and need to call in another bid if they can't check the site to see the price? I am sure tons of bidders don't come here to talk about what is going on either. If you don't like that you got bid up you should be happy that things didn't work right because I think it is highly likely that it would have been worse had the site been working.

I feel for what Brian is going to have to go through this week, and I know Brian is a good guy, but last night was a disaster.

Last edited by Jobu; 10-29-2018 at 07:06 AM.
Old 10-29-2018, 08:40 AM
Dave_Berg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepony View Post
The 54 Mantle Stahl Meyer. My last bid was at 1137. My bid was high at midnight. Never got an outbid text. Would have gone several thousand higher. Had no idea auction was again extended. Oh well. Should I have used autobid- in retrospect yes...but I didnt know I was participating in a flawed system. Text alerts set up with HA. No worries, it happens.
Uhhhhh, I just got an Email from REA that I won this lot. ( Hence the no outbid text). It was clearly MY confusion this morning and not any sort of communication on REAs end