NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 11-22-2021, 05:31 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetahat View Post
So would this be the right time to put this up for auction?
Probably would be

It is a beauty

Hold it for your collection

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 11-23-2021, 04:32 PM
The Uber Anal Retentive Freak

Two cheap acquisitions, the A’s I didn’t have, and the Yankees was in such tremendous condition I couldn’t let it go (and I didn’t have that color). IMO one of the most beautiful pennants ever made by Trench.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DD50A3E4-7929-4131-879C-9537078BCE4B.jpg (19.0 KB, 264 views)
Old 11-23-2021, 05:42 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Two cheap acquisitions, the A’s I didn’t have, and the Yankees was in such tremendous condition I couldn’t let it go (and I didn’t have that color). IMO one of the most beautiful pennants ever made by Trench.
Two underrated beauties. I used to have that classic Yankees pennant in 6 different colors... black, red, green, purple, blue and burgundy.

They looked amazing displayed together, but eventually decided to keep just the green one (as it was in gem mint condition). In retrospect, I wish I'd kept them all!

Great pickups!
Old 11-24-2021, 05:06 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Two underrated beauties. I used to have that classic Yankees pennant in 6 different colors... black, red, green, purple, blue and burgundy.

They looked amazing displayed together, but eventually decided to keep just the green one (as it was in gem mint condition). In retrospect, I wish I'd kept them all!

Great pickups!
+1 Agree to Beauties and that Yankee one is amazing

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 11-24-2021, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post
+1 Agree to Beauties and that Yankee one is amazing
Thanks Jeffrey!
Old 11-24-2021, 09:24 AM

Quote:

Great pickups!
Same six colors as my Dodgers pennants … I think I have seen a lighter blue (like royal) and I may have seen orange once before? Can anyone confirm if an orange version exists?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F97AF7C9-7826-4C3D-AA47-F53EFF73D3BD.jpg (18.5 KB, 253 views)
Old 11-24-2021, 11:26 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Same six colors as my Dodgers pennants … I think I have seen a lighter blue (like royal) and I may have seen orange once before? Can anyone confirm if an orange version exists?
If there's an orange version, I think one of us would've seen it by now. I can't recall ever seeing one (but would love to).

That rainbow of Brooklyn Pennants is so cool to see... I really think you have 'em all! My educated guess would be that the black one is the rarest, followed closely by purple.

Great stuff!
Old 11-24-2021, 02:22 PM
Rob

Quote:
If there's an orange version, I think one of us would've seen it by now. I can't recall ever seeing one (but would love to).

That rainbow of Brooklyn Pennants is so cool to see... I really think you have 'em all! My educated guess would be that the black one is the rarest, followed closely by purple.

Great stuff!
They're cool.....except for the obvious.

Signed,
Giants4ever
Old 11-24-2021, 04:32 PM

Quote:

Great stuff!
On most of these, Emmet Kelly’s eyebrows are the same gray as his hair, except on the blue felt the eyebrows are black.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CE53CC52-7D87-4FAA-979E-761505752520.jpg (20.0 KB, 250 views)
Old 11-24-2021, 04:37 PM

I also display the variations of Phillies cap pennants together, the gray being the rarest. There might be thirty different ones if you figure in the different cap styles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6E05EEAE-4F61-459E-BADC-5FB8D60FD1FD.jpg (20.0 KB, 247 views)

Last edited by thetahat; 11-24-2021 at 04:38 PM.
Old 11-24-2021, 06:10 PM
Marc

I didn't know that you had a 1980s/1990s wall, Greg
Old 11-25-2021, 07:38 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
I also display the variations of Phillies cap pennants together, the gray being the rarest. There might be thirty different ones if you figure in the different cap styles.
Not my Team but that is a great wall

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 11-25-2021, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocca001 View Post
I didn't know that you had a 1980s/1990s wall, Greg
Only a few and I used them because they were cheap, they are actually on the wall of a pantry underneath stairs and I cut them so that the doors can open. A little cheesy but I wanted no paneling left unused!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Old 11-27-2021, 05:57 PM

My use of heavy but soft clear vinyl for making custom size holders failed. The tape didn’t stick well and they sagged over time. So I have been replacing them with rectangular holders which are rigid on the edges and the tape sticks better on the open end. Used extra large poster toploaders for the oversized pennants here … these work much better
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 29D2332D-507E-4F2F-A27C-70D693D16206.jpg (20.0 KB, 202 views)
File Type: jpg C39A1D25-395D-4DDE-AF79-B2825414F690.jpg (19.7 KB, 204 views)

Last edited by thetahat; 11-27-2021 at 06:02 PM.
Old 11-27-2021, 06:00 PM

Duplicate

Last edited by thetahat; 11-27-2021 at 06:01 PM.
Old 11-28-2021, 12:17 AM
Rob

I really have no idea what you’re talking about,.Greg, but this is what we do…we adapt!
Old 11-28-2021, 02:05 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
My use of heavy but soft clear vinyl for making custom size holders failed. The tape didn’t stick well and they sagged over time. So I have been replacing them with rectangular holders which are rigid on the edges and the tape sticks better on the open end. Used extra large poster toploaders for the oversized pennants here … these work much better
Can you show us a close-up shot of how you cut the toploaders and tape them? Do you cut the rectangular rigid toploaders with a scissors, blade, or something else to get it triangular? I can never get a straight cut.

I have an idea of what you're describing, but a close-up visual would really help.

Thanks!
Old 11-28-2021, 08:18 AM
Rick

Quote:
Can you show us a close-up shot of how you cut the toploaders and tape them? Do you cut the rectangular rigid toploaders with a scissors, blade, or something else to get it triangular? I can never get a straight cut.

I have an idea of what you're describing, but a close-up visual would really help.

Thanks!
Mark, I have cut down regular rigid pennant holders for 3/4 size pennants, using a mat cutter to get a straight edge.

Rick
Old 11-28-2021, 08:30 AM

Okay I did a couple this morning. Disclaimer: these still may look a bit cheesy but remember, I'm more interested in quantity displayed, and frames take up too much room on the wall. This is about the best I can do.

First pic is my initial attempt to use thick but soft vinyl. I ordered a roll from a marine warehouse. There was no binding on either edge so it had to be taped all the way around, the tape didn't stick well, and the lack of rigidity left a lot of glare from the "waves" on the surface.

So I tried the toploaders which works much better. First I bought a pack of photo-sized loaders for making holders for the minis. That worked extremely well. Then I bought 7 or 8 of the largest size for the oversized pennants. I can make two holders out of these. I tried using an Exacto knife but even with a long straight edge had trouble keeping it straight. I marked off the corners for custom fit and drew lines with a dry erase marker and carefully used scissors, cutting though both sides simultaneously. Each holder has a sealed ridge on the bottom, which is where I want it because of gravity. Before taping I put a few staples along the top end because I don't want the pennant to ever come in contact with the tape - this is just precaution. Then I use clear packing tape to seal the top edge. This is where some imperfections are apparent, I can never quite keep the tape from wrinkling in spots. But unless you are up very close you really cant see it. Maybe there's a better tape to use, I'd like to know.

Now I taped them shut with the pennant inside, so its a snug fit. I don't think this will make for easy removal like with ordinary holders without removing and replacing the staples and tape.

I still have some "edge" left over to use on my minis, for these I use a paper cutter and scotch tape, I just about have the gaps in the wall filled in with them. Please shoot me if I think about filling in the tiny spaces with BF3s ... I think I need to stop!

So these poster toploaders were $130 for 6 including shipping, so its about $11 for each holder. When I buy a pack of the photo toploaders for the minis it comes out to about $1 apiece.

Last edited by thetahat; 11-28-2021 at 08:55 AM.
Old 11-28-2021, 08:45 AM

Side note about the Athletics elephant pennant. I won this in a Heritage auction, it was described having a label with manufacturer name that wasn't legible. It turns out it is Gimbels, which was Philly's oldest department store (1887-1987). (My pic obviously isn’t the best)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1C22C27F-2826-4F09-9294-A4C48133DEE4.jpg (17.8 KB, 189 views)

Last edited by thetahat; 11-28-2021 at 08:50 AM.
Old 11-28-2021, 01:10 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

That's great info, Greg and Rick... many thanks for posting.

Whenever I try to cut through both sides of the toploader at once, it's almost as it the two sides work against one another. It happens with scissors as well as a blade...

I can never get the same cut all the way through both sides, for the top to match the bottom. Too much resistance, as the bottom side gets bent under somehow, causing the 2 cuts to be imprecise and irregular.

Rick...
Do you own the mat cutter, or do you take it to a frame shop? I may try that method.... Thanks!
Old 11-28-2021, 02:31 PM
Rob

Gotta hand it to you, Greg….you are one committed dude!

(insert “committed” joke)
Old 11-28-2021, 04:08 PM
Rick

Quote:
That's great info, Greg and Rick... many thanks for posting.

Whenever I try to cut through both sides of the toploader at once, it's almost as it the two sides work against one another. It happens with scissors as well as a blade...

I can never get the same cut all the way through both sides, for the top to match the bottom. Too much resistance, as the bottom side gets bent under somehow, causing the 2 cuts to be imprecise and irregular.

Rick...
Do you own the mat cutter, or do you take it to a frame shop? I may try that method.... Thanks!
Mark, I have a Logan mat cutter that I use to cut all my own mats, works great and saves me a ton of money in framing costs. It also works well on cutting the rigid pennant holders using the straight edge blade that comes with the kit. It is easier to use than cutting on a flat surface since it has a channel cutout for the blade depth. You just need to make sure the pennant holder doesn't move as you cut.
Old 11-28-2021, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
Gotta hand it to you, Greg….you are one committed dude!

(insert “committed” joke)
Thanks and yes, I think I need to be …
Old 11-28-2021, 08:28 PM

Default Gimbel Brothers of Philadelphia

Quote:
Side note about the Athletics elephant pennant. I won this in a Heritage auction, it was described having a label with manufacturer name that wasn't legible. It turns out it is Gimbels, which was Philly's oldest department store (1887-1987). (My pic obviously isn’t the best)
So that's what it read! Yes, Gimbel Brothers.... That one always perplexed me. Thought it might have read "Spalding Bros.," but not quite.

Your Athletics pennant, Greg, was the only pennant I've ever seen with this mark on it. Anybody ever seen another?

I'm thinking the Alterations Department made these up for the hometown team, probably in the 1910s, as part of a very limited run.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image (90).jpg (5.8 KB, 213 views)
File Type: jpg image (91).jpg (12.5 KB, 216 views)
Old 11-29-2021, 08:23 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domer05 View Post
So that's what it read! Yes, Gimbel Brothers.... That one always perplexed me. Thought it might have read "Spalding Bros.," but not quite.

Your Athletics pennant, Greg, was the only pennant I've ever seen with this mark on it. Anybody ever seen another?

I'm thinking the Alterations Department made these up for the hometown team, probably in the 1910s, as part of a very limited run.
I’ve never considered a department store producing a pennant(s), but Kyle knows much more about the early days. Could be the case…
Old 11-30-2021, 08:08 AM
Rob

JR has another good one….
Old 12-03-2021, 12:13 PM

These came today. The picture pennant is my 13th variation from 1960-69, 1960 and 1968 have two different pics and 1961 same pic but different design. This pic is cool because it was taken inside Connie Mack Stadium.

The Mets pennant was in too nice condition to pass up, the one I had was a little faded. One of my favorite Trench stadium pennants and it has a different look than the others. The font of SHEA STADIUM is unique, the field is blue, and Mr. Met is trademarked. The artwork itself just … looks different than other stadium pennants. Also this was strangely made without tassels.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 33A10901-EB0E-4360-A256-FE06A1AC951A.jpg (19.1 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg 427D6A84-C1F8-4378-A51F-A542BEF7DFC2.jpg (20.9 KB, 147 views)

Last edited by thetahat; 12-03-2021 at 12:14 PM.
Old 12-03-2021, 01:34 PM
Marc

Nice, Greg.

You are always telling us about your favorites. What's your least favorite/most strange/funky stadium pennant?
Old 12-03-2021, 03:17 PM
Rob

Whew! Good to see some new content in the pennant thread!

I may get a new one in tonight’s ISTP auction. Fingers crossed. 🤞
Old 12-03-2021, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Nice, Greg.

You are always telling us about your favorites. What's your least favorite/most strange/funky stadium pennant?
Great question Marc, in fact I’d love to know how you and others answer this. I think the later Dodger Stadium pennants are kinda lame once they ditched the bum. Love the LA Angels version though with Chavez Ravine. I’m hard pressed to say that any of them are unsightly. More generally I don’t collect Ad Flags or late era WGN. Just a matter of taste, I collect mostly to display because I love the aesthetics and those pennants just don’t do it for me. But here’s an old Ad Flag that I’ve shown before that I do display, as ugly as it is, because it is pretty rare. At some point I need to set it loose. If I had this as a kid it would cause me nightmares.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A1FF6315-27E0-4963-A308-3FA4FB6D8CCF.jpg (21.3 KB, 141 views)
Old 12-03-2021, 09:40 PM
Marc

I'll go for the Giants batter sinking into the ground in Busch Stadium pennant.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Giants batter Candlestick.jpg (20.7 KB, 137 views)

Last edited by bocca001; 12-03-2021 at 09:41 PM.
Old 12-04-2021, 09:10 AM

Quote:
I'll go for the Giants batter sinking into the ground in Busch Stadium pennant.
That’s a classic! Like this Mets pennant here …

I should add I do display these two Ad Flag Colt 45s ..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 249C6C2D-DBC5-495B-9D6D-5677ACA74ECE.jpg (22.6 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg 0DA7A56F-AF8E-4F99-80AA-915FFE455F00.jpg (22.0 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg 2F472E6E-9136-48AD-AA38-CCF991C65419.jpg (22.3 KB, 126 views)

Quote:
Whew! Good to see some new content in the pennant thread!

Any luck?
Rob

Quote:

Nope. One other guy in the whole world wanted it too.
Old 12-04-2021, 09:33 AM
Rob

This was the one. Any thoughts as to who might have made it? Is this design seen for other teams?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 27110a_lg.jpg (81.6 KB, 126 views)
Old 12-04-2021, 09:51 AM
Marc

The other guy was not me this time : )
Old 12-04-2021, 10:37 AM

Quote:
This was the one. Any thoughts as to who might have made it? Is this design seen for other teams?
I'm pretty sure this one was made by the mystery maker we've been tracking that also made the "sliding runner" series; and, the stiff-arming "Heisman" series. All were monochrome, tassel-less, full-size, and made in the late 1940s or early 1950s.

Sorry you didn't get it. I can assure you it wasn't me
Old 12-04-2021, 12:05 PM
Rob

Quote:
The other guy was not me this time : )
Bocca felt bad about snaking me on the red NYG pennant so he just alerted me the one I didn't get last night was on Etsy today. This time I got it. Thanks, bocca...you're forgiven.
Old 12-04-2021, 12:31 PM
Gary

Glad you got it Rob. That one was on my watch list but I went for these 2 instead. Got them both.

I'm hoping I can clean the Yankees pennant a bit.

These continue my pursuit of photo pennants.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 27128a_lg.jpg (20.8 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg 27157a_lg.jpg (21.0 KB, 118 views)
Old 12-04-2021, 12:37 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKCardGuy View Post
Glad you got it Rob. That one was on my watch list but I went for these 2 instead. Got them both.

I'm hoping I can clean the Yankees pennant a bit.

These continue my pursuit of photo pennants.
Those are great. A "tassel implant" wouldn't be too hard on the Yankees. If you didn't know, the tassels were usually one piece, folded over.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2263.jpg (76.1 KB, 129 views)
Old 12-04-2021, 05:22 PM
Gary

Quote:
Those are great. A "tassel implant" wouldn't be too hard on the Yankees. If you didn't know, the tassels were usually one piece, folded over.
Thanks. That's very useful info. Now, I'll need to find a pennant to use for "parts"
Old 12-04-2021, 05:52 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKCardGuy View Post
Thanks. That's very useful info. Now, I'll need to find a pennant to use for "parts"
Or, just get a piece of felt at a craft store. About 25 cents, USD.
Old 12-05-2021, 01:31 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Has anyone had any luck finding pennant poly sleeves? I have plenty of toploaders, looking for sleeves. Large quantities that is
Old 12-05-2021, 02:57 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo View Post
Has anyone had any luck finding pennant poly sleeves? I have plenty of toploaders, looking for sleeves. Large quantities that is
Pennantdynasty (Matt?) on eBay has nice, clear ones.

Someone here might have his direct contact info to avoid tax and fees.

Last edited by ooo-ribay; 12-05-2021 at 04:17 PM.
Old 12-05-2021, 03:13 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Or, just get a piece of felt at a craft store. About 25 cents, USD.
I may have to play Devil's Advocate here...

Seems like it would be "aesthetically challenging" to blend brand new tassels with an old pennant. The material and color would never be right. I'm afraid the tassels would stand out like a sore thumb. Plus it would (personally) bug me having new felt incorporated on a vintage piece.

I would find a beater with the appropriate tassels, to use for the "transplant". Just my personal OCD speaking...

Also... If you ever find yourself in a position to sell, these alterations should be disclosed. Nothing at all wrong with spiffing up pennants for personal display. But the "imported" parts should definitely be disclosed when selling.
Old 12-05-2021, 04:07 PM
Rob

I hear ya, Mark.

Definitely disclose if you were ever to sell.

That said, the remaining blue tassel looks pretty bright…I’ll bet you could match it. Michael’s, for example, has a big selection of 8x10 pieces.
Old 12-05-2021, 05:03 PM

Quote:

Seems like it would be "aesthetically challenging" to blend brand new tassels with an old pennant. The material and color would never be right. I'm afraid the tassels would stand out like a sore thumb. Plus it would (personally) bug me having new felt incorporated on a vintage piece.

I would find a beater with the appropriate tassels, to use for the "transplant". Just my personal OCD speaking...

Also... If you ever find yourself in a position to sell, these alterations should be disclosed. Nothing at all wrong with spiffing up pennants for personal display. But the "imported" parts should definitely be disclosed when selling.
Co-signed. Alterations should be disclosed when selling. Otherwise, it’s fraud.
Old 12-05-2021, 05:53 PM
Gary

Quote:

That was my thinking too. I'd prefer the tassels to be "of the period". Certainly, it's something to disclosed when selling.

Rob, I like your idea but I know that my arts and crafts skills are pretty limited. I wouldn't trust myself even with cutting a tassel. (I still have nighmares about the monstrous ashtrays I made at summer camp.)
Old 12-06-2021, 12:06 PM
John €ffenheim

Default New Packers mini for the collection

I hadn't seen this one before.