NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 07-30-2017, 11:32 AM
Paul Peters

Default Opinions about COA's at shows.

OK, this is my first post on Net54. I would like to know everyones opinion, especially after the National and HOF Induction weekend, about COA's after you pay for an autograph after a show. A few months ago, I paid for Darryl Strawberry for a project piece I'm working on at Dave & Adam's in Buffalo. When I was through, I received a FREE COA with a hologram for my item and a card with a matching hologram. Yesterday I was in Cooperstown and paid for Ryne Sandberg, Rickey Henderson, Ozzie Smith and Dale Murphy for the same piece. No COA's given by MAB or 7th Inning Stretch......BUT, I could pay JSA $10 for a letter at the MAB show. My opinion, and I am hoping others as well, is that for the amount of money we spend on autographs, I feel the promoter should provide us with a COA for free. I understand that it is a total racket with MAB and JSA because I literally watched dozens and dozens of collectors standing in line for COA's after they got items signed. It's just my personal opinion that the COA should be part of the process at no cost to the collector and hats off to Dave & Adams for doing it for free. Thanks.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Old 07-30-2017, 11:57 AM

I would say that nothing is free. D&A just included it in the price of the auto while the others gave you the option of paying less for an auto without a COA.
Old 07-30-2017, 12:17 PM
Paul Peters

True, nothing is "free", but we aren't paying "less" for anything. Prices are increasing.......I actually watched Rickey Henderson question someone's item and said it was too big and told him to go out and upgrade the ticket because neither he nor his handler understood what "Oversized item" meant. My point is that the COA should be included as part of the autograph. I just think its BS to go pay JSA $10 to give me a letter to tell me the autograph I just paid $160 for is authentic.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Old 07-30-2017, 12:37 PM
Anthony Rodriguez

Free COAs would definitely be a
Nice perk at no cost, but the harsh reality is, organized events would provide the COA versus COAs at a event such as the Baseball Classic played at Cooperstown annually

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-30-2017, 01:04 PM
Chris

I don't get the point. If you see it being signed, do you need a certificate to tell you it is real? And, will a buyer actually care about a COA from a show promoter?
Old 07-30-2017, 01:09 PM
Paul Peters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestdj777 View Post
I don't get the point. If you see it being signed, do you need a certificate to tell you it is real? And, will a buyer actually care about a COA from a show promoter?
The point is that we see so much fake stuff out there, and we are spending a LOT of money at these shows that I feel that the COA should be a part of this when the autograph is purchased. That's really all my point is. Like I said, I saw a LOT of people paying $10 a pop to get something from JSA. And I really feel MAB should be providing us with something. I have had several discussions with another Net54 member who feels the same way.
Old 07-30-2017, 01:32 PM

If COAs were issued with autographs as standard practice, then the promoter/issuers would include some extra charge in the auto fee for the materials and the effort. But not all auto purchasers care to pay extra (included or on top of the base fee) for this service. I don't go to many auto signings but, when I do, I don't opt to pay for a COA and would rather the base fee not include something I have no need for.
Old 07-30-2017, 01:34 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by icollectDCsports View Post
If COAs were issued with autographs as standard practice, then the promoter/issuers would include some extra charge in the auto fee for the materials and the effort. But not all auto purchasers care to pay extra (included or on top of the base fee) for this service. I don't go to many auto signings but, when I do, I don't opt to pay for a COA and would rather the base fee not include something I have no need for.
+1
Old 08-07-2017, 11:37 PM
Bob Davies

Default It's Not Just Baseball Autographs

I was at a local comic expo a few years ago, and got a couple of Silver Aged comics signed by Stan Lee. CGC was certifying the autographs at the show, and eventually (like nine months later) they showed up with the yellow label.

Anyhow, the line for Stan Lee was nuts. Then you went to another area around 30 yards away, and lined up to fill in the CGC paperwork. There was ZERO checking that when you left the line to get Stan Lee's signature, you went straight to the CGC line.

There was so much opportunity to just walk into the CGC line with any item. Plenty of opportunity for fraud.

Further info: With CGC, they put the date and event on the yellow label. The credibility of this information is seriously in doubt.
Old 08-08-2017, 08:59 AM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampsfan View Post
I was at a local comic expo a few years ago, and got a couple of Silver Aged comics signed by Stan Lee. CGC was certifying the autographs at the show, and eventually (like nine months later) they showed up with the yellow label.

Anyhow, the line for Stan Lee was nuts. Then you went to another area around 30 yards away, and lined up to fill in the CGC paperwork. There was ZERO checking that when you left the line to get Stan Lee's signature, you went straight to the CGC line.

There was so much opportunity to just walk into the CGC line with any item. Plenty of opportunity for fraud.

Further info: With CGC, they put the date and event on the yellow label. The credibility of this information is seriously in doubt.
When I have done CGC Signature Series in the past (at least several years ago), I filled out the paperwork, then CGC took the unsigned item from me and THEY got it signed. Has this changed? If so, I would agree that the new process leaves plenty of room for fraud.
Old 08-08-2017, 11:20 PM
Bob Davies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post
When I have done CGC Signature Series in the past (at least several years ago), I filled out the paperwork, then CGC took the unsigned item from me and THEY got it signed. Has this changed? If so, I would agree that the new process leaves plenty of room for fraud.
Interesting your experiences are different. Definitely not the way it worked in my only experience in getting things authenticated by CGC.
Nobody took our items. It was line 1 to line 2, and no checking in between.

This was maybe three years ago...?
Old 08-09-2017, 05:16 AM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampsfan View Post
Interesting your experiences are different. Definitely not the way it worked in my only experience in getting things authenticated by CGC.
Nobody took our items. It was line 1 to line 2, and no checking in between.

This was maybe three years ago...?
Last time I did it was the New York comic con... Probably around 6 years ago.

Your experience shakes my confidence in the CGC sig series service. It used to be air tight.
Old 08-12-2017, 04:12 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

At some conventions, you can have a CGC representative accompany you to a signing; he will witness the item being signed, and your comic will be eligible to receive a "Signature Series" label.

Some creators who charge for their signature will charge a higher fee if the signing is witnessed.