NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 11-10-2017, 03:58 PM

Default posting autograph collections online question

hello,
i was wondering because i read it on another forum, how true is it that if you post a picture of lets say a signed baseball card online, that someone can right click your picture and get the address and location of where the picture was taken or scanned? i ask, because it was a heavy debate on another site that someone put they posted their collection online and 2 weeks later someone broke into their house and stole his entire collection. so people were debating just how safe or wise it is to post your item/collection photos publicly on a site for all to see. is it safe to do? any worries or concerns about posting ones collection online? your thoughts on this please?
Old 11-10-2017, 04:47 PM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

Don't know if the story is true but the scary answer is yes, you can right click a photo, look at the properties and pull off the GPS coordinates from cell phone pictures and cameras that have GPS capabilities. Usually there is a setting where you can turn this function off or hide that data...

Might be better off scanning material from a scanner and then posting....but then you may have to check scanner settings also...

Everything leaves a trace of something these days...
Old 11-10-2017, 04:49 PM

Default Autographs

I don't believe you can access location information just from a photograph, but any information you post online could potentially lead criminals to your door. I created a website a couple years ago, but I keep my collection in a safety deposit box (actually 2 separate boxes now) at a local bank. I also have a very good security system that is connected to a battery backup in the event of a power outage. Bottom line is, if you are worried about people knowing what you have, either don't publicize it or take precautions to make sure you are protected.

Jason
Old 11-10-2017, 05:06 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

That is correct, criminals have/can/do take the data from posted photos and use it to find where the posting individual lives.

In other cases, criminals have been known to take a photo someone posted, where the person says they're on vacation or otherwise away from home; then go to the internet and find out where that person lives; and then rob the residence before the person gets back home.

That is why I have never, and will never own an iphone. There are too many ways for people to use what you post from it, in nefarious ways.

You supposedly can disable the geoloc feature, but I wouldn't trust it.

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox

Last edited by Steve D; 11-10-2017 at 05:07 PM.
Old 11-10-2017, 05:17 PM

thanks guys for your responses. im not too worried about me because I just started my collection and i for sure dont us emy phone for pics. i was thinking of using my scanner. not sure if a scanner is better secured or not? just thought this story i read was sad that someone lost his entire collection because of of the gps of his photos and was just wondering after reading that, just how safe it is to post photos as everyone does it, so i assumed it was safe.
Old 11-10-2017, 05:22 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

Scanners are fine to use, as they do not have GPS capability. Iphones on the other hand......................

What was that game that was all the rage a couple years ago; PokemonGo? I think it used the GPS data in iphone posts to work.

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox

Last edited by Steve D; 11-10-2017 at 05:25 PM.
Old 11-10-2017, 07:31 PM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

Actually it doesn't have to be an IPhone to be tracked... ALL cells phones are traceable and many apps on your phone ask for and (you give them) access to your physical location, also photos, contacts and all kinds of data on your phone... Any mapping app, google, waze, shopping apps, facebook etc... Facebook actually can tell you what friends of yours are close by at any given time...

Its scary what access people give to companies from their phones that people have no idea on what is being done with it...

Also most digital cameras have GPS in them also and wifi capability so access to your camera can actually be hacked if someone was so inclined...
Old 11-13-2017, 06:52 PM

does this info make anyone not want to post online or does it not really matter or effect if you pot your collection or not? i think putting everything in a bank deposit box is also a great safe option. thanks
Old 11-14-2017, 06:53 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerunhitter View Post
does this info make anyone not want to post online or does it not really matter or effect if you pot your collection or not? i think putting everything in a bank deposit box is also a great safe option. thanks
I doubt most people know that they are constantly being tracked and that every picture you take leaves a GPS location to that exact spot. It has been that way for many years.

I sometimes post phone pics but it would cost more in gas money to get to my house than you would get for my stolen property.
Old 12-02-2017, 01:51 PM

very true!

any more thoughts on this? how many of you post your collections on line? thanks