NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-26-2022, 02:56 AM
Ed.gar Pim.entel

Default The Jefferson Burdick Collection

Currently on Display at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC through May 10.

From MMA website:

“ An integral part of the Museum’s collection of ephemera, the Burdick collection of baseball cards tells the history of popular printmaking in the United States. In 1947, after having approached A. Hyatt Mayor, the Museum’s curator of prints and photographs, the Syracuse electrician Jefferson R. Burdick (1900–1963) began to donate in large batches his entire collection of more than 30,000 baseball cards—along with another 303,000 trade cards, postcards, and posters—to The Met. The baseball cards collected by Burdick represent the most comprehensive public collection outside of the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, New York.

This exhibition features over one hundred cards produced between 1909 and 1953. Collectively, they illustrate the history of baseball from the dead-ball era, at the turn of the nineteenth century, through the golden age and modern era of the sport. Produced using various types of media—from photography to lithography—the cards feature legends of the game as well as lesser-known players, owners, and teams that have contributed to the history of the game.”
Old 03-26-2022, 12:12 PM

I was there about a month ago. I asked one employee where the exhibit was, and she knew about the cards seemingly because others kept asking, but not where they were. A second straight-up didn't know anything. So good luck, everyone! (It's level 1M, around from the stairwell, along the wall.)

This is ~1/3 of what's on display, which is way less than any of us would want. (They had more room, too.) There are also some Cracker Jacks, Batter-Up cards, and of course Topps around the corner to the left. I've become accustomed to seeing $10,000 cards being better protected, but then I remembered there are several $100,000,000 paintings in the place. And there are no clues about the whole cards, but I didn't have a dying curiosity about what's on the back of Washington Crossing the Delaware.

Last edited by Lobo Aullando; 03-26-2022 at 12:32 PM.
Old 03-26-2022, 12:16 PM
Peter Spaeth

It used to be that by appointment you could see the entire collection of countless albums. Here's my poster I bought way back in the 1980s.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1892.jpg (80.6 KB, 425 views)

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 03-26-2022 at 12:22 PM.
Old 03-26-2022, 02:23 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
It used to be that by appointment you could see the entire collection of countless albums. Here's my poster I bought way back in the 1980s.
I did make appointments twice during the very late 90's and early 2000's ahead of time during planned NYC vacations. I haven't tried but I believe as part of the research rules you still can, please correct me if wrong. I made mine several weeks ahead of time or more to assure they had time to schedule a trustee to supervise my time in there. (It is stored in a well secured room).

The Ernie Harwell collection in all honesty is historically just as significant in my mind (photo collection is amazing) and a great appointment if coming into Detroit. Strangely, I have only been once and I requested some items from the digital collections as I was not sure how the visit would go. They are not as well organized as NYC and I would recommend the list idea. The Detroit Public Library has a much smaller staff for scheduled visiting research appointments it seemed.

I did check on appointment times and it seems the collection and the Lulu and Ernie Harwell Room are closed since the flooding of last year. I wonder if this is neglect of the page as the basement flooding happened prior to last spring (Unless it happened again!) Here are the current posted hours -
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hours.JPG (71.4 KB, 397 views)

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 03-26-2022, 08:13 PM
Adam Wan.aselja

Quote:
I owned this poster as well. It’s a classic.
Old 03-26-2022, 08:22 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanaselja View Post
Yeah I got it framed the day I bought it and it's been on my wall ever since. The card choices were pretty good except the Mantle is inexcusable lol.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 03-27-2022, 06:35 AM
Ed.gar Pim.entel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobo Aullando View Post
I was there about a month ago. I asked one employee where the exhibit was, and she knew about the cards seemingly because others kept asking, but not where they were. A second straight-up didn't know anything. So good luck, everyone! (It's level 1M, around from the stairwell, along the wall.)

Yes, that doesn’t surprise me. The people who work there has zero interest in sports.
Old 03-27-2022, 06:36 AM
Ed.gar Pim.entel

Quote:
Really cool poster.
Old 03-27-2022, 06:39 AM
Ed.gar Pim.entel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
The Ernie Harwell collection in all honesty is historically just as significant in my mind (photo collection is amazing) and a great appointment if coming into Detroit. Strangely, I have only been once and I requested some items from the digital collections as I was not sure how the visit would go. They are not as well organized as NYC and I would recommend the list idea. The Detroit Public Library has a much smaller staff for scheduled visiting research appointments it seemed.

I did check on appointment times and it seems the collection and the Lulu and Ernie Harwell Room are closed since the flooding of last year. I wonder if this is neglect of the page as the basement flooding happened prior to last spring (Unless it happened again!) Here are the current posted hours -
Good to know this. If it reopens then a visit there will be on my bucket list.
Old 03-27-2022, 06:41 AM
Ed.gar Pim.entel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanaselja View Post
Yes, I agree. I wonder if they still sell it.
Old 03-27-2022, 06:44 AM
Ed.gar Pim.entel

Quote:
The card choices were pretty good except the Mantle is inexcusable lol.
Yes, but I think that’s the only way to draw in New Yorkers from the outer boroughs.
Old 03-27-2022, 06:58 AM
Ed.gar Pim.entel

Kudos, to all who visited this exhibit. Having lived and worked in NYC off-and-on for the past 30 years, this was the first time I learned that the Met had Burdick’s Collection. Reading what you guys wrote, I think I’ll swing by there next time I’m in the City.
Old 03-27-2022, 04:24 PM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default ?

Think he meant the CHOICE of card.....?
Old 03-27-2022, 04:40 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1880nonsports View Post
Think he meant the CHOICE of card.....?
Mantle? Yes, absolutely. Just a couple of better choices there.

Old 03-27-2022, 06:29 PM
Jonathan Sterling

I visted the collection Twice with my Dad. (And dozens of time with my Family). My most vivid memory is of Album 246 which according to the catalog held 2416 items. Included in that album was Sports T200-T212. This was 1975 and the T206 Wagner was mounted differently than most of the other Tobacco cards, it was on a hinge like a stamp hinge of the time. This was so you could flip it up and look at the back. And you could tell by looking at it that the lower right corner was where most who looked at the card handled it.
Our first visit we spent about 4 hours going through the collection Starting with album 201 A&G sets. We went through 11 Albums and 1 box of 19th Century Tobacco issues, 14 Albums of 20th century Tobacco, 18 Albums of D,F,E,R,V,M and U issues. I also remember things like N173's and Newsboys and talking with my dad about how few examples were in the collection compared to the group we saw at the Library of Congress the year before (in 1974 looking through large stacks (100's)of Old judge proof sheets I just thought every big collection had stuff like that..)
They gave us a copy of the catalog for us to use when requesting items. And I remember in 1977 going back and the requesting some of the same albums and noticing some items missing. Including the Wagner and when Docent bought the T206 album he said that the wagner was no longer in the album and was being "conserved". Next time I saw it was under glass on a wall. Below is a couple pages and you can see where we marked items. In 77 they no longer gave you a copy but they said they were for sale in gift shop...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220327_202525.jpg (179.8 KB, 203 views)
File Type: jpg 20220327_202509.jpg (205.2 KB, 204 views)
Old 03-28-2022, 05:05 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

very very cool.
Thanks for sharing

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 03-28-2022, 09:07 AM
Ed.gar Pim.entel

Peter Spaeth and 1880nonsports..l my apologies. No offense was intended.