NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-21-2017, 02:25 PM
Al Richter

You guys don't know. These could be the non malicious kind of retractions.
Old 06-21-2017, 03:28 PM
Robert Williams

Over 500+ retractions.....I don't even know how to describe it......
Old 06-21-2017, 03:45 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
If one has more retractions than bids, a surrogate bidder would be required that would allow you to retract his bid, protecting the surrogates ability to bid within the PWCC policy even if it is enforced.

I'm going to give this a little more thought, but my future may rest in a bid retraction enterprise which could be retained by eBay, PWCC and consignors everywhere.

I'll need a slogan though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Holy bid retractions Batman, this is the second worst I have ever seen. http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d...p2471758.m4792

Less than 24 hours and already my trusted employee is outed.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 06-21-2017, 03:49 PM
rob.ert int.rieri

Maybe we all are interpreting the 10 bid retraction rule incorrectly. Maybe you have to have at least 10 retractions to qualify to bid on PWCC auctions?
Old 06-21-2017, 04:01 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Well, these days everything is 'fluid.' If you're a man, you can claim to be a woman. If you're white, you can claim to be black. If you're of European ancestry, you can claim to be Native American. Perhaps PWCC's bid retraction number is also fluid. If you have 500 retractions, they will simply claim it's only two.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 06-21-2017, 06:28 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Holy bid retractions Batman, this is the second worst I have ever seen. http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d...p2471758.m4792
Without even clicking on the link I knew it had to be either Betsy or Probstein.
Old 06-22-2017, 06:49 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Less than 24 hours and already my trusted employee is outed.
Glad to see I did not cause you to fire your employee. He has had over 40 more retractions since my post yesterday.
Old 06-22-2017, 09:02 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Glad to see I did not cause you to fire your employee. He has had over 40 more retractions since my post yesterday.
He's/She's a good man/woman, but he/she even retracted his/her bonus check that I sent him/her.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:27 AM
Jeff Lowe

Default Thats efficiency !!

Quote:
He's/She's a good man/woman, but he/she even retracted his/her bonus check that I sent him/her.

But what could they really do with 99 cents .
Old 06-22-2017, 10:33 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwolf1963 View Post
Update and to be fair, I received a message back from PWCC today ..

"Thank you for reaching out. You are correct, this user ID is in violation of our bid retraction policy. We have placed a block on this user ID and have retracted their bid on this listing."
As of right now, they're on double secret probation.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 06-22-2017, 10:48 AM
Peter Spaeth

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-SP-Auth.../401344328815?
High bidder had 11, third bidder 10. Placed days before the auction ended.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-22-2017 at 10:50 AM.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:36 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
I looked at this earlier (couple hrs ago) and it was 800!

I just looked again and it's 802????

I think someone has some issues?!?!
Old 06-22-2017, 03:27 PM
James
James Kin.chen

804 now
Old 06-22-2017, 03:45 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

So why isn't there something that can be done towards PWCC? This has been an ongoing topic for the last 8 or 9 years so where does it end? Will Ebay do anything? Good luck with that...
Old 06-22-2017, 03:48 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 View Post
So why isn't there something that can be done towards PWCC? This has been an ongoing topic for the last 8 or 9 years so where does it end? Will Ebay do anything? Good luck with that...
It ends the same way it has gone, very few people care as long as they have stuff, and they indisputably do.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-22-2017, 03:50 PM
James
James Kin.chen

The one with 800 retractions is not PWCC, it is/was a Probstein auction. Ebay doesn't care how many retractions a bidder makes so why would they do anything to PWCC. The 10 retraction rule is something PWCC said they would do. It has nothing to do with eBay.
James

Quote:
Old 06-22-2017, 03:51 PM
Jeremy W.

Serious question, does Ebay have a way of tracking people? Could I have twenty different accounts?
Old 06-22-2017, 03:52 PM
Ryan Waggoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyW View Post
Serious question, does Ebay have a way of tracking people? Could I have twenty different accounts?
Yes you could, easily.
Old 06-22-2017, 03:52 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
It ends the same way it has gone, very few people care as long as they have stuff, and they indisputably do.
I agree Peter, so why do we keep beating the PWCC issues to death? Jeff L said a few years ago that this activity was illegal. So why doesn't anything get done about it? Forget Ebay, they don't give a shit...Is there any group of people that will simply say enough is enough and do something about it? If no, why keep talking about it with no resolve??
Old 06-22-2017, 03:55 PM
Jeremy W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNightmanCometh View Post
Yes you could, easily.
That's a problem.
Old 06-22-2017, 03:56 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
I agree Peter, so why do we keep beating the PWCC issues to death? Jeff L said a few years ago that this activity was illegal. So why doesn't anything get done about it? Forget Ebay, they don't give a shit...Is there any group of people that will simply say enough is enough and do something about it? If no, why keep talking about it with no resolve??
I'm sorry about my confusion, I think the potential illegal activity was pertaining shill bidding....Yet another repetitive topic....

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 06-22-2017 at 03:57 PM.
Old 06-22-2017, 04:00 PM
James
James Kin.chen

Because there are people here that are obsessed with PWCC and finding fault with everything they do.
James

Quote:
I agree Peter, so why do we keep beating the PWCC issues to death?
Old 06-22-2017, 04:02 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkheat View Post
Because there are people here that are obsessed with PWCC and finding fault with everything they do.
James
Yeah really, imagine that. Or maybe they put the target on their own back with the pious choir boy and girl posts which seem at odds with the actual facts, at least sometimes.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-22-2017 at 05:27 PM.
Old 06-22-2017, 04:05 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkheat View Post
James
James- I agree. Having said that, why does Brent's auctions continue to bring end of the World prices? It's amazing to me....

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 06-22-2017 at 04:07 PM.
Old 06-22-2017, 05:23 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
James- I agree. Having said that, why does Brent's auctions continue to bring end of the World prices? It's amazing to me....
In part because there is consistent fraud in Betsy's auctions. Which of course you know which is why you defend them so much -- and probably consign with them as well.

It's comical that the same bullshit we all heard about Mastro ('If they were really doing anything wrong they would get arrested") is what we hear now about PWCC. Do you think that law enforcement is at the ready to investigate every fraud that exists in every corner of the country right now? Or perhaps they have priorities as to what they investigate? And do you really think that the great majority of PWCC defenders aren't either on the payroll, conspire with them or reap the benefits of the fraud that occurs in their auctions? Comeon man, don't play dumb.
Old 06-22-2017, 05:38 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
It's a little tougher legally then you might think. According to the UCC a bid isn't a contract until the hammer comes down (or any repeated, recognized way of calling an item sold) so until that time you have a legal right to retract your bid, even in a live auction. That being said the law doesn't make fraud, such as puffing or shilling, legal.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 06-22-2017, 05:51 PM
Peter Spaeth

Scott you are wrong, here's the cliffnotes version.

"In an absolute auction, the seller has agreed to sell for the highest bid, regardless of the amount offered. The role of the auctioneer is to ratify the contract formed between the buyer and the seller. ... Bids above the reserve are binding, with the high bid ratified by the auctioneer when he declares the item sold."

Old 06-22-2017, 05:51 PM
James
James Kin.chen

I don't know if this was directed at me or Kevin but I have never consigned cards with any auction house or anyone that lists on eBay. I haven't bought anything from PWCC in over 4 months. I used to buy from them almost weekly. Yes, they have their issues but at least they are trying to do a little something. That is more than can be said for any other consignment company on eBay. eBay doesn't give a crap what bidders do.
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
In part because there is consistent fraud in Betsy's auctions. Which of course you know which is why you defend them so much -- and probably consign with them as well.

It's comical that the same bullshit we all heard about Mastro ('If they were really doing anything wrong they would get arrested") is what we hear now about PWCC. Do you think that law enforcement is at the ready to investigate every fraud that exists in every corner of the country right now? Or perhaps they have priorities as to what they investigate? And do you really think that the great majority of PWCC defenders aren't either on the payroll, conspire with them or reap the benefits of the fraud that occurs in their auctions? Comeon man, don't play dumb.

Last edited by jfkheat; 06-22-2017 at 05:54 PM.
Old 06-22-2017, 05:54 PM
Peter Spaeth

James I know significant ebay sellers who take lots of consignments who would not stand for any of the stuff that goes on in PWCC, they just don't talk about it in public forums.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-22-2017 at 06:22 PM.
Old 06-22-2017, 06:33 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:

You are wrong Lichtman..I have never consigned an item with them in my life, period...You are one of the ones that has constantly bashed this guy for multiple years, why don't you do something about it?

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 06-22-2017 at 07:05 PM.
Old 06-22-2017, 06:44 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Scott you are wrong, here's the cliffnotes version.

"In an absolute auction, the seller has agreed to sell for the highest bid, regardless of the amount offered. The role of the auctioneer is to ratify the contract formed between the buyer and the seller. ... Bids above the reserve are binding, with the high bid ratified by the auctioneer when he declares the item sold."
I don't feel that disagrees with what I said. The high bid is only ratified when the item is declared sold. Until that time bids are retractable. I am on vacation, but I will pull my copy of the UCC and share the section I'm talking about when I get home.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

Old 06-22-2017, 06:50 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
I don't feel that disagrees with what I said. The high bid is only ratified when the item is declared sold. Until that time bids are retractable. I am on vacation, but I will pull my copy of the UCC and share the section I'm talking about when I get home.
It's binding once you place it. Otherwise how could an auction function? Think of a live auction, it would be a circus and rife with fraud.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:57 PM
Peter Spaeth

Scott it's 2-328 of the UCC. I am trying to figure out how it works, I confess I was not aware of it previously. One thing that I am reading in commentary is that if someone does retract, then ALL bids are gone, that does not reinstate the next highest bidder. WTF. Edit to add that's right in the statute:

a bidder's retraction does not revive any previous bid

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-22-2017 at 07:00 PM.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:08 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
You are wrong Lichtman..I have never consigned an item with them in my life, period...You are one of the ones that has constantly bashed this guy for multiple years, why don't you do something about it?
Uh I don't carry a badge in my wallet, that's the main reason.

And Mize, as everyone on the board knows, your only existence here is to make money or fleece someone. There can be no other reason a guy like you would have any interest in a crooked auction house like PWCC but for monetary reasons. You don't even post about anything other than selling cards yet somehow you have this burning desire to protect PWCC. Check it out: we're not as dumb as you are.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:11 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:

And Mize, as everyone on the board knows, your only existence here is to make money or fleece someone. There can be no other reason a guy like you would have any interest in a crooked auction house like PWCC but for monetary reasons. You don't even post about anything other than selling cards yet somehow you have this burning desire to protect PWCC. Check it out: we're not as dumb as you are.
+1
Old 06-22-2017, 07:12 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:

If Brent is engaged in illegal activities, then why don't you do something Mr. Attorney....You go on and on about Brent, Mastro, etc....But yet, here we are.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:14 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
If Brent is engaged in illegal activities, then why don't you do something Mr. Attorney....You go on and on about Brent, Mastro, etc....But yet, here we are.
You can't possibly be this stupid, can you? Do you understand that I'm not a law enforcement officer or a prosecutor? I don't convene grand juries, you bottom feeding lowlife. And you might be the only person alive on this board who does not know my involvement in the Mastro case.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:17 PM
Phillip Abbott
Banned

Quote:
You can't possibly be this stupid, can you? Do you understand that I'm not a law enforcement officer or a prosecutor? I don't convene grand juries, you bottom feeding lowlife. And you might be the only person alive on this board who does not know my involvement in the Mastro case.
Right? That is the only thing you talk about.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:18 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Wow, that struck a nerve, ouch!...Then quit bitching about all of the sellers that you think are corrupt like PWCC

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 06-22-2017 at 07:19 PM.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:19 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Wow, that struck a nerve, ouch!...Then quit bitching about all of the sellers that you think are corrupt....
Or what? You'll try to sell me an overpriced off-centered card?
Old 06-22-2017, 07:21 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:

Old 06-22-2017, 07:21 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Maybe, I bought a PSA 7OC from you for a PSA 6 price.....I should have known better....
Old 06-22-2017, 07:22 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
What would you suggest I do about it, other than point out what I see? Would you silence all protesters on the ground that they can't change things?

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-22-2017 at 07:23 PM.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:24 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Scott it's 2-328 of the UCC. I am trying to figure out how it works, I confess I was not aware of it previously. One thing that I am reading in commentary is that if someone does retract, then ALL bids are gone, that does not reinstate the next highest bidder. WTF. Edit to add that's right in the statute:

a bidder's retraction does not revive any previous bid
Yup, that's the section. We covered it extensively. From an auctioneers perspective we decided you give all previous bidders the option of keeping their bids in force or you can choose to start the item over. There is also nothing to stop you from removing that bidder who retracted, or just "not seeing" his bids

Old 06-22-2017, 07:26 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Yup, that's the section. We covered it extensively. From an auctioneers perspective we decided you give all previous bidders the option of keeping their bids in force or you can choose to start the item over. There is also nothing to stop you from removing that bidder who retracted, or just "not seeing" his bids
Something tells me this law is old and does not anticipate a phenomenon such as an ebay auction. I wonder, too, if the seller/auction house can contract around it, but I am too lazy to research it right now. Most likely not. So according to the language, as the auctioneer is saying going once, going twice, I can shout out I retract and the whole auction is gone. Similarly, when someone retracts on ebay, that should wipe out the whole auction to that point if ebay were following the law. Merits further research.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-22-2017 at 07:29 PM.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:33 PM
J@ohn B.ar#ne.s

Quote:
OK, I don't agree with Linchpin, but this comeback is hilarious.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:44 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Stephen I love the photo you posted with the dude at the movies laughing with popcorn !! Had me rolling ��

Last edited by Johnny630; 06-22-2017 at 07:45 PM.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:45 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Speaking of bottom feeding lowlifes, who have you defended lately Jeff??
Old 06-22-2017, 07:48 PM
Peter Spaeth

Default SCott

Interesting piece here.
https://mikebrandlyauctioneer.wordpr...the-ucc-2-328/

Old 06-22-2017, 07:54 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Speaking of bottom feeding lowlifes, who have you defended lately Jeff??
Being this is America and not Iran, I defend people charged with crimes and enforce their constitutional rights. Only a bottom-feeding moron who spends his days trying to fleece people on this board would think that my representation of people charged with crimes suggests I support the crimes they're charged with. And considering what a well-known scumbag you are on the board, I'd think you'd have some empathy for people who are charged with crimes.