NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-23-2018, 04:30 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Reviewing the T206 150-only subjects....with a "twist"......show us some cards

As we know, American Lithographic initially printed 12 subjects which were the first T206's (issued circa Spring 1909). Listed here are these 12 guys......

Red Ames (hands at chest)
George Brown (Chicago Nat'l)
Mordecai Brown (bat-Cubs)
Al Burch (batting)
Mike Donlin (fielding)
Larry Doyle (throwing)

Johnny Evers (bat-blue sky)
Harry Pattee
Barney Pelty (horizontal)
Eddie Plank
Ed Reulbach (glove)
Honus Wagner

Contrary to the conventional thinking, it's my opinion that Mike Powers should not be considered a 150-only T206 subject. American Lithographic actually
printed Powers battery mate, Eddie Plank, with this 1st series of 12 cards. This we know for certain, since a partial sheet of Piedmont 150 cards were dis-
covered in Eastern Long Island (NY) in the mid 1980's. Included on this sheet were Eddie Plank & Honus Wagner (subsequently referred to as the Gretzky
Wagner). For more info on this, check-out this 2009 thread....http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=111871

My theory regarding the Mike Powers card is....he was subsequently printed in press runs which included 33 other subjects. This appears evident, as the
backs of these 34 subjects were also overprinted with the SWEET CAPORAL 150 Factory #649 stamp. Unfortunately, on Opening Day (April 12 1909) of
Shibe Park in Philadelphia, Mike Powers suffered an injury on the field. In the hospital, the doctors discovered he had serious intestinal system problems.
He passed away 2 weeks later (re. Net54 thread posted 2008). My point here is that the Powers card was actually printed with this group of 34 subjects.
Of which, 33 of them became 150/350 series cards. The Powers card was discontinued due to his untimely death; therefore, he was not printed with any
350 series backs.

Stay tuned regarding the Eddie Plank card story in the next post here.

TED Z

T206 Reference

Last edited by tedzan; 01-26-2018 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Correct typo.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:04 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Reviewing the T206 150-only subjects with a "twist"....And, let's see some cards

Eddie Plank

Several theory's (such as the "broken printing plates" myth, etc.) have been proposed to explain the "short-printing" of the Eddie Plank card. Well,
my take on this mystery is very simple....having read Connie Mack's ** response to a Philadelphia sports writer (circa 1910)........

"The secret of Plank's pitching is no secret at all. It is a good strong arm, a powerful constitution to back it, and neither drinks, smokes,
chews tobacco, nor swears...."

My guess is Eddie Plank informed the American Tobacco Co. (ATC) that he did not want his image portrayed on Tobacco cards. And, being the low-keyed
guy that he was, Plank did not "hype-up" his anti-tobacco stance (as Wagner did). Most likely, a brief "cease and desist" order was issued to ATC.

Furthermore, why ATC continued issuing the Plank card with a SWEET CAPORAL 350, Factory #30 back for a short period of time is anyone's guess. ?
I have some thoughts regarding this; however, I'm curious what your's may be ? ?

The majority of T206 Plank cards in circulation are the SWEET CAPORAL 350, Factory #30 versions. And, it is interesting to note that the colors of the
majority of these particular Plank cards are quite pale in comparison with the rich-looking colors of the PIEDMONT 150 or SWEET CAPORAL 150 cards.

So, let's hear your thoughts on this subject ?

Footnote **
"Connie Mack", by Norman Macht

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 01-24-2018, 08:24 PM
Sean Costello

Ted, I have no reason for this, but I've always thought that the printers made a mistake by including Plank in the 350 series. When the mistake was caught, they stopped printing the card. Just a guess on my part.
Old 01-24-2018, 08:26 PM
Sean Costello

And yes, you're right about the blue background: the 350 series really does look washed-out compared to the 150 series.
Old 01-24-2018, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
And yes, you're right about the blue background: the 350 series really does look washed-out compared to the 150 series.
This is true of all of the 150 vs. their 350 counterparts, all of the 150 cards are much sharper with bolder colors. I believe the stones were becoming worn and they were not inked often enough during the higher volume 350 series printings as they were during the initial 150 series. It is fairly easy to tell which is which from the front only when they are side by side and often even when they are solo's. The 150's are just crisper and bolder looking. The 150 Plank has brought a premium over the 350 series for some time.
Old 01-25-2018, 06:39 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Reviewing the T206 150-only subjects with a "twist"....And, let's see some cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
Ted, I have no reason for this, but I've always thought that the printers made a mistake by including Plank in the 350 series. When the mistake was caught, they stopped printing the card. Just a guess on my part.

Hi Sean

It may have been a mistake why ALC continued printing Plank with the SWEET CAPORAL, Factory #30 backs....or, perhaps it was deliberate.

Plank was probably the most popular southpaw pitcher by 1910 (the 10th year of his career). He had Won over 200 games by that time. So,
perhaps ALC intended to keep issuing Plank's card. Despite Plank's objections to tobacco.

Note that his 350 card was shipped only to Factory #30 (NY). Factory #30 produced Tobacco products shipped to New York and New England.
Therefore, Plank's card would normally NOT have been found in SWEET CAP cigarette packs in the greater Philadelphia area.

This may sound like one of my "wild imagination" speculations. However, an American Lithographic ledger sheet (circa 1910) has been found
with instructions to the effect......"this package of SWEET CAPORAL cards are not be shipped to Philadelphia".

A Net54 member posted this ledger sheet some years ago. I cannot find it. Hopefully, he reads this thread and posts it again.

TED Z

T206 Reference

Old 01-26-2018, 11:11 AM
Steve Birmingham

I have that saved as well as a few other images of parts of the ledger.

It's not entirely clear that it's the baseball cards, but it is clear that Philadelphia was treated differently in some way.

What's interesting is that the other fragments have cards from a number of different factories. If it's actually a ledger from ATC, it might indicate that the cards stopped somewhere other than going direct to the cigarette factory. And that might indicate that they weren't all produced at ALC. (I think, but I'm not sure at the moment that ALC owned other plants besides the main one in NY.)

Or, it may not be an ATC ledger, but one from ALC.

Either possibility is very interesting.
Old 01-26-2018, 11:29 AM
P@trick R.omolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
I have that saved as well as a few other images of parts of the ledger.

It's not entirely clear that it's the baseball cards, but it is clear that Philadelphia was treated differently in some way.

What's interesting is that the other fragments have cards from a number of different factories. If it's actually a ledger from ATC, it might indicate that the cards stopped somewhere other than going direct to the cigarette factory. And that might indicate that they weren't all produced at ALC. (I think, but I'm not sure at the moment that ALC owned other plants besides the main one in NY.)
Or, it may not be an ATC ledger, but one from ALC.

Either possibility is very interesting.
They owned quite a few other plants around that time period.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=205962
Old 01-26-2018, 01:47 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Hi Steve B.

Thanks guy, that is the ledger excerpt I was referring to (I meant to say 1909, instead of 1910). I have seen other very similar ledger excerpts
such as this one which included sample card(s) and similar handwriting, which were identified as American Lithographic (ALC) documents.

This specific document (which I referred to, that you posted) is very likely from ALC. A 150-only subject (Reulbach) is included, and it refers to
shipping information of Sweet Cap cards. All the early T206 card production were printed and shipped directly from ALC to the various cigarette
factories.

Thanks again,

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 01-26-2018, 06:14 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Well, since none of these 150-only series cards have been posted here yet, here are 5 of them from my PIEDMONT set......

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 01-26-2018, 09:10 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Reviewing the T206 150-only subjects....with a "twist"......show us some cards

With the 5 guys pictured in the prior post, plus these 6 guys, that completes my 150-only series subjects. Of course, I'm missing the 12th guy....the Wagner card.

TED Z

T206 Reference

Last edited by tedzan; 01-26-2018 at 10:08 PM. Reason: Corrected typo.
Old 01-27-2018, 07:48 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Presented here is a theory of mine that I expect will stir up some controversy.

American Lithographic replaced the Wagner image on their 150-only series sheet with this Schulte (front view) image.

Yes, the criticism that I expect from some of you is that this Schulte is part of the Elite 11 group. Well, I say do not be
so quick to dismiss my proposition. For it has not been proven that one Schulte with a PIEDMONT 350 back is not just
a mis-printed error. The cards of Elite 11 group are defined by having a PIEDMONT 350 back and an EPDG back.

And, until I see this Schulte with an EPDG back, I consider this card a 150-only series subject.

Feel free to discuss this issue.

> > > > > >

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 01-28-2018, 09:19 AM
P@trick R.omolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post

American Lithographic replaced the Wagner image on their 150-only series sheet with this Schulte (front view) image.

Yes, the criticism that I expect from some of you is that this Schulte is part of the Elite 11 group. Well, I say do not be
so quick to dismiss my proposition. For it has not been proven that one Schulte with a PIEDMONT 350 back is not just
a mis-printed error. The cards of Elite 11 group are defined by having a PIEDMONT 350 back and an EPDG back.

And, until I see this Schulte with an EPDG back, I consider this card a 150-only series subject.

> > > > > >

TED Z

T206 Reference

Schulte is a plate scratch match with Waddell (Portrait) on this plate scratch
sheet.

https://photos.imageevent.com/patric...ts/C-D%201.jpg

Schulte-Waddell 1.jpg

Schulte-Waddell 2.jpg

Schulte-Waddell 3.jpg

There were two different front's printed using the same back plate for this
plate scratch sheet. Based on the information from this sheet in my opinion
I think Waddell was on one front plate (B) with Wagner and Schulte was on
the other front plate (A).

C-D Sheet B.jpg

C-D Sheet A - Copy.jpg

C-D Strip with Wagner Strip - Copy.jpg

I'm looking for a scratch to confirm this but I think Doc White (portrait)
might have been the subject that replaced Wagner. There are a couple
of other possible candidates but there are a few things that suggest
it could be White.
Old 01-28-2018, 03:03 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Hi Pat

Very interesting, thanks for posting your scans.

Especially, the horizontal strip of 15 cards which includes the ten 150-only subjects and Schulte....but, not Powers.
Can I assume that this scan appears to support my thesis stated in post #1 and post #12 ? ?

Also, I guess any kind of PIEDMONT 150 plate scratch information on Plank and Wagner is obviously not available.

Sorry that my Schulte doesn't have any plate scratches to match with your's.

Incidentally......
Regarding the Waddell portrait card, I've always wondered why this card is the only one in the 150 series with
a deep Blue background (similar to the 350 and 460 series cards) ?
All the other Blue background cards in the 150 series were printed with a pale or lighter Blue color.

150 series....................................350 series

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 01-28-2018, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post

> > > > > >

TED Z

T206 Reference
Is it possible that Plank replaced Wagner late in the 150 print run?
Old 01-28-2018, 04:58 PM
P@trick R.omolo

Hi Ted,

Powell is on a different plate scratch sheet

this one...

https://photos.imageevent.com/patric...et%201A-1B.jpg

this is the other plate scratch sheet that the back was used on two sets of fronts. One sheet is all SC649 subjects and the other is all 649 no prints.

Shaw is the matching scratch to Powers

Powers-Shaw 1.jpg

actually two of the Plank Piedmonts have the same scratch but I
haven't found any scratches that they match up with.

Plank A.jpg
Plank B.jpg

Luke just did a four part article on his site that covers this and he does
a much better job of explaining it than I do.

http://www.thatt206life.com/