NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-10-2024, 01:06 PM

I think the card went very cheap. A creased SGC 2 sold for $313k in October of 2021. I would think a PSA 5 would be at least 2.5x an SGC 2, or $782k. Add 2.5 years to that last comp, 2.5 years in which the card market has gone nuts, and I think it should have been $1mm+.

I believe the card would have gotten much more in a US sports-card auction, and the consignor did themselves an expensive disservice here. Had Jay not outed the auction, the disservice may have been even more expense.
Old 04-10-2024, 01:40 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Prices are a lot lower now than they were 2.5 years ago.
Old 04-10-2024, 01:40 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
I think the card went very cheap. A creased SGC 2 sold for $313k in October of 2021. I would think a PSA 5 would be at least 2.5x an SGC 2, or $782k. Add 2.5 years to that last comp, 2.5 years in which the card market has gone nuts, and I think it should have been $1mm+.

I believe the card would have gotten much more in a US sports-card auction, and the consignor did themselves an expensive disservice here. Had Jay not outed the auction, the disservice may have been even more expense.
Agreed.
Old 04-10-2024, 01:47 PM
Matt

I would venture out on a limb and say that card is presently worth 762k.

Last edited by MattyC; 04-10-2024 at 01:48 PM.
Old 04-10-2024, 02:30 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Yes it is worth what it sold for but in my opinion if it was at a different auction house and had more exposure and more potential bidders and email blasts, and catologs and social media like instagram it would have done better.

But we will never know what could have been.

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 04-10-2024, 03:12 PM
Chase

Quote:

Maybe the winner can do another consignment to REA and then buy Jay a really nice steak dinner.
Old 04-10-2024, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinbulldog View Post
Prices are a lot lower now than they were 2.5 years ago.
This is a generalization and it is false in many cases. Ruth rookies are not lower compared to 2021. Almost all Ruth stuff is more today than 2.5 years ago. Same is very true with Wagner cards. Most Cobbs have retained value (t206 down some for sure), and Joe Jackson is much higher.

Yes, 2021 was a high point for some cards, but most certainly not for all, and many, including Ruth, are worth more today than 2.5 years ago.
Old 04-10-2024, 04:28 PM
Po.well Mill.er

I was the underbidder. Just missed.
Old 04-10-2024, 05:55 PM
Jim
Ja.mes Merm.igis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powell View Post
I was the underbidder. Just missed.
You outbid me with 6 minutes left. I was at 500k (640k) with BP.
Old 04-10-2024, 08:08 PM

Default Ruth Rookie

Quote:
This is a generalization and it is false in many cases. Ruth rookies are not lower compared to 2021. Almost all Ruth stuff is more today than 2.5 years ago. Same is very true with Wagner cards. Most Cobbs have retained value (t206 down some for sure), and Joe Jackson is much higher.

Yes, 2021 was a high point for some cards, but most certainly not for all, and many, including Ruth, are worth more today than 2.5 years ago.
This Ruth rookie goes at least $100-$150K higher in a serious & well-advertised major sports auction
Old 04-10-2024, 09:20 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:

I agree fully. I have read that here and on Blowout that "all" vintage card prices are down, but that's simply not true.
I follow 52's, and although there are outliers, not all have come down. Many, in fact have risen and continue to do so.
Old 04-11-2024, 12:55 AM
Brian
Bri@n Abra.ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
762 is pretty close to 900 so it did not do that badly.
For a poor schmuck like myself, $762k is nowhere close to $900k.

Old 04-11-2024, 05:29 AM

Default Ruth Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
I agree fully. I have read that here and on Blowout that "all" vintage card prices are down, but that's simply not true.
I follow 52's, and although there are outliers, not all have come down. Many, in fact have risen and continue to do so.
Indeed, scarce Pre-war such as Ruth, Cobb, Wagner, Gehrig, etc. continue to realize very strong numbers. Hobby icons are doing very well.
Old 04-11-2024, 08:43 AM
Ed Hans

Default Re: High Grade Ruth Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
I respectfully disagree. I don't think we can reach any conclusions about the current "market value" based on this auction. The winning bidder may have had several more increments left and would have happily paid north on $1M for it. Regrettably for the consignor, there was no third party willing to push it to that level. If that card were offered at a private sale for $1.2M and the buyer agreed, wouldn't that establish a true "market value"?
Old 04-11-2024, 08:49 AM
Eric Pugh

Whoever bought that card is a genius and will easily double their money (if not far more) in next few years.
Old 04-11-2024, 08:57 AM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by edhans View Post
I respectfully disagree. I don't think we can reach any conclusions about the current "market value" based on this auction. The winning bidder may have had several more increments left and would have happily paid north on $1M for it. Regrettably for the consignor, there was no third party willing to push it to that level. If that card were offered at a private sale for $1.2M and the buyer agreed, wouldn't that establish a true "market value"?
Two Net54 members state they were the immediate under bidders. On any lot in any auction the person who wins that item could always been willing to pay more but if nobody else bids then in the auction format, that is market value. We use those results predominantly as market value in the hobby. Fixed price is another way to determine market value but it does not in any way invalidate the auction result. What something is worth or what its value is in many cases can be a fluid concept. As it stands, 762K is a valid comp, love it or not.
Old 04-11-2024, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
Two Net54 members state they were the immediate under bidders. On any lot in any auction the person who wins that item could always been willing to pay more but if nobody else bids then in the auction format, that is market value. We use those results predominantly as market value in the hobby. Fixed price is another way to determine market value but it does not in any way invalidate the auction result. What something is worth or what its value is in many cases can be a fluid concept. As it stands, 762K is a valid comp, love it or not.
Indisputably, $762k is a valid comp. It sold, in an auction, for $762k. I do think it would have done better in a different auction house, but that's pure speculation. The fact is it sold for $762k
Old 04-11-2024, 09:10 AM
Ed Hans

Default Re: Re: High Grade Ruth Rookie

Not saying that the auction result is "invalid" or that it isn't a valid comp. Point is that market value is not determined by an underbidder or lack thereof.
Old 04-11-2024, 09:23 AM
Dave

Who is the underbidder, to the underbidder?

Perhaps THAT is the new market value of the card, since the "over-bidder" is out of the picture now.

Deep Thoughts!
Old 04-11-2024, 09:47 AM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by edhans View Post
Not saying that the auction result is "invalid" or that it isn't a valid comp. Point is that market value is not determined by an underbidder or lack thereof.
That is true for every single card ever auctioned. It is worth on that day and time what the person who was willing to pay the most for it ended up paying for it. 762K, like it or not, is a valid comp and the market value.

So do we start tossing out hammer prices arbitrarily or questioning them based on speculation?