NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 02-21-2010, 07:57 AM
Yankeefan51

Default NeNegro League players recognized by Strat-O-Matic

Negro League players recognized by Strat-O-Matic
February 20, 2010 By MARK HERRMANN mark.herrmann@newsday.com

Quick Summary
Interest in Negro Leagues history has flourished in the four months since Strat-O-Matic produced the new cards.

Sometimes history needs a little nudge. For Negro Leagues baseball, it required tireless research by a volunteer historian/baseball enthusiast and a new product from the venerable Long Island-based Strat-O-Matic Game Co.

The former, Scott Simkus, provided data for the latter, which apparently has cleared the bases with a set of Negro League cards for its popular board game.

The result is a renaissance for an American institution that America barely knew it had.

Interest in Negro Leagues history has flourished in the four months since Strat-O-Matic produced the new cards (and a program for its computer game). Major newspapers and magazines have devoted thousands of words to the project. The attention has brought new fame for stars such as Superman Pennington, the one surviving player among 103 in the Strat-O-Matic set, and his friend Serrell.

Pennington, 83, sat down for a game of Strat-O-Matic with Simkus, a 39-year-old limousine dispatcher who lives outside Chicago. In an event reported by the Los Angeles Times, Pennington warned that he never could hit Satchel Paige. Sure enough, after his first roll of the dice, Superman's card yielded only a soft groundout against the pitching legend.

He was amazed by the whole thing, played out in his Iowa basement, Simkus said. "He told me that in all the years - more than 50 - he had been retired from baseball, nobody had ever asked him about Serrell, whom he believed was an outstanding, underrated player," Simkus said. "He was tickled we had included him as one of the all-time greats."

Serrell is a "1" defensive player, the best possible rating in Strat-O-Matic. According to the background booklet that accompanied the card set, Serrell was active from 1942 to 1958, playing for the Kansas City Monarchs and finishing in the Mexican League. He played alongside Ernie Banks, who went on to become a Hall of Famer with the Cubs, and Elston Howard, the 1963 American League Most Valuable Player with the Yankees.

"He played fancy, but that's the only way he could play," was the testimonial from Connie Johnson, who played in the Negro Leagues and major leagues.

Negro Leagues stars are more popular today than they were in their primes. Witness the Strat-O-Matic set, which has been a big seller. Its release came after that of "Satchel," a positively reviewed biography of Paige by Larry Tye. A published report last week said the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum in Kansas City expects to break even in 2010 after years of financial struggle.

Sixty-three years after Jackie Robinson broke Major League Baseball's racial barrier, the public has an appetite for the part of baseball that was deliberately hidden. As Tye writes, "Satchel Paige was a black man playing in an obscure universe." That universe is becoming more familiar.

"I'll be very frank with you. I was like everyone else,'' said Strat-O-Matic president Hal Richman, who invented the game more than 50 years ago. "I knew of Satchel Paige. I knew of Josh Gibson. But I didn't know who Oscar Charleston was, and he might have been the greatest player of all time. I didn't know who Chino Smith was."

Just this week, Simon & Schuster released a book titled "Satch, Dizzy & Rapid Robert. The Wild Saga of Interracial Baseball Before Jackie Robinson'' by Timothy M. Gay.

Richman, 73, credited Simkus for having done "all the work" in culling 3,000 boxscores and 100 books for the information Strat-O-Matic needs. The game's impresario added that it was important to make the Negro Leagues cards thick, glossy, sepia-toned, just like the Hall of Fame set Strat-O-Matic released nine years ago.

"We probably would have done better financially had we not done that, but we felt it was the proper thing to do," Richman said recently in his Glen Head office.

He acknowledged that the publicity and revenue have been great for business, but he insists the rewards don't stop there. "I get tremendous satisfaction in knowing these players are being recognized," Richman said. "I actually think this is the best thing I've ever done with the company."

Simkus was stunned by a media blizzard once the cards came out, then a flood of calls and letters. One man wrote about playing a barnstorming tour and seeing Paige drive a station wagon filled with hunting and fishing gear. The daughter of the late Nate Moreland wrote about her father having played with Robinson as a Los Angeles teenager, then breaking into the white minor leagues after Robinson's trailblazing.

"A lot of people said, 'Thank you for doing this,' " Simkus said. "I feel like more people know more about the black leagues than they ever did. There is something about that card set, about putting these guys back on the field, that triggered all the excitement."
Old 02-21-2010, 07:59 AM
Barry Sloate

Cool. I grew up playing Strat-O-Matic. Great game.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:40 AM
Jeff

Thanks for posting. I whiled away a considerable portion of my youth on Strat-O-Matic. Don't regret it one bit.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:42 AM
Barry Sloate

Me too Jeff...1964 and 1965 I often played two games a day.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:56 AM
Jim VB

The same guy behind the Strat-O-Matic initiative is currently working on a project to bring Negro League stats to Baseballreference.com.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...cecom.html.php

Last edited by Jim VB; 02-21-2010 at 12:16 PM.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:44 PM
Rob

I'm an APBA guy,myself. WIsh APBA would do an official Negro Leagues set...I'd buy it in a second. Good for Strat,though. Glad to see Richman still around!
APBA's been around since 1951 and is still going strong,too!Play it just about every day!