NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-11-2017, 06:43 PM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo View Post
In the end, I think making the deal right is what's right. It will be hard given the words exchanged, but I think taking responsibility is the right thing to do.
I think that this noble principle is at tension with the context, particularly the timing. This isn't the GAP taking a return from a customer years after selling a pair of pants without asking questions. This is two collectors making arms length trades, sales and purchases, with a lot of time passing. If the "right thing to do" for the seller is to issue a refund, the "right thing to do" for the buyer is not to ask for one in this case.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 03-11-2017, 07:29 PM

This thread is actually interesting to read thru. I don't know why. Maybe because, sometimes you just gotta say WTF.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:03 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo View Post
What many people seem to be missing is that what's right is right and what's wrong is wrong. No matter the time limit. I have bought and sold autographs along with other memorabilia for over 30 years and have never left someone hanging if an issue like this pops up. These issues come up and as a seller, you are representing something as authentic when it is sold. Even if I don't agree with what PSA or JSA say, I would still refund their money or make it right.

On a side note, and hopefully I am not speaking out of turn, at this same show Brent attended I was speaking with a friend and colleague in the autograph business. He informed me that he recently had an item fail authentication that was sold by Jim Stinson many many years ago, but still had the invoice that he kept with all of his personal collection. He contacted Jim and without hesitation, Jim issued him a full refund, fully explained the situation that led to how he picked up the item, and took responsibility for the situation. A highly commendable move on his part that I thought was worth sharing.

In the end, I think making the deal right is what's right. It will be hard given the words exchanged, but I think taking responsibility is the right thing to do.
That right there is how it should be.

The stamp and coin guy I've gone to since the mid 80's took back a coin that failed grading as "altered" I saw it, and yes, it was altered.
The whole thing was done very easily, both of them recalled the sale but not the actual price. Buyer thought it had been "about X" and the dealer thought that sounded about right. Return, refund, coin labeled fake and kept in a special spot.
Oh yeah, the time between sale and return 10 years+

There's a reason I still go there after 30 years.

Steve B
Old 03-13-2017, 12:56 PM

Brent, have you heard anything else from Jason?
Old 03-13-2017, 12:58 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Kai View Post
Brent, have you heard anything else from Jason?

I have not.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:16 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I have given a return and refund on a Dizzy Dean card after 2 yrs because the guy said he thought it was someone else on the card. . I take it on a case by case basis but usually will give a refund.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:31 AM
Tom Boblitt

Tough situation. Like most here, I think the time to return should be something less than 2-3 years. If most all your cards were graded or with letters, I can't understand why these cards would sit in your collection for years before you decide to authenticate them. For those kind of dollars, I would want as immediate confirmation as possible. Not sure there's a good solution. Maybe splitting the cost down the middle. Then you'll still have two pissed off people.

And I really don't like that Simmons........the Fabers look pretty good though. There's the rub with buying raw autographs. They might all be fake, but with a letter or encapsulated, most people aren't gonna question them at that point.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:27 AM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I have given a return and refund on a Dizzy Dean card after 2 yrs because the guy said he thought it was someone else on the card. . I take it on a case by case basis but usually will give a refund.
Whom did he think it was on the card?
Old 03-15-2017, 11:31 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
Whom did he think it was on the card?
Actually, now that I recall, I believe it was Paul instead of Dizzy. But to take that long to figure out who it was, well, I just said ok because of the situation. It was someone I know and don't have a great rapport with. It was easier and better just to take it back.

it was like this card but not this one.. I guess he bought it thinking it was Dizzy...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1934-Gold-Me...MAAOxyR7tTkRhB

ps.... back to the subject at hand....I don't know autographs so will bow out of it....

Last edited by Leon; 03-15-2017 at 11:35 AM.
Old 03-15-2017, 12:14 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Here's the Dizzy card from the same set:

1934 Gold Medal Flour DIZZY DEAN PSA-5.5.jpg

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 03-16-2017, 02:41 AM
JEFF VER.RIER

Pardon me for using common sense but why is the questionable stuff still being discussed in 2017 ?? Shouldn't this have been handled by sending it out to be looked at by the experts years ago ( back in 2014 from those texts) and a decision rendered back then ? And a compromise worked out back then

Jeff

p.s. Stop using JSA please- its not a "reliable" resource for vintage autos

p.s.s . Steve B-- Mike and Pete can I ask ??
Old 03-16-2017, 07:06 AM
Jason Seidl

No card or money is worth your reputation period.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:46 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFV96MASTERS View Post

p.s.s . Steve B-- Mike and Pete can I ask ??
Of course you can ask.

I don't quite get the question though?
The stamp and coin guy I go to is Mark Processi who owns Alan stamp and coin in Woodbury, CT
The customer was some random guy I didn't know.

I got to see a lot of stuff since I hung out at the shop for hours at a time. Maybe 3-4 hours some days, at least a couple days a week. After a while he'd give me store credit for doing some work. Sorting stuff, stapling coins into the 2x2 holders, pricing stamps. that sort of stuff.

Steve B
Old 03-16-2017, 07:30 PM
Damian Grammont

My wife is laying next to me reading a book, im on my phone reading this thread. No doubt this has been a lot more interesting than "Sunrise Crossing"
Hope it works out for all involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-17-2017, 09:42 AM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Just an update. Still no communications from Jason at all about trying to work something out.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:17 AM
Dan Bretta

Maybe he didn't budget for someone coming back 3 years later for a refund?

Last edited by slidekellyslide; 03-17-2017 at 11:17 AM.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:25 AM
Adam Goldenberg

Default Honestly

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
Who does ?
Old 03-17-2017, 11:26 AM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post

Maybe, maybe not. I can't speak on his behalf. But, maybe he should because of all of the bad autographs he has sold and tried to sell over the years.
Old 03-17-2017, 12:58 PM
Phillip Abbott
Banned

Lol.

Last edited by PhillipAbbott79; 03-17-2017 at 12:58 PM.
Old 03-17-2017, 01:01 PM
Phillip Abbott
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gradedcardman View Post
Who does ?
I am sorry. That is not the correct answer. We were looking or "Who is nobody?".

Ridiculous time frames for a thousand Alex.

Last edited by PhillipAbbott79; 03-17-2017 at 01:01 PM.
Old 03-18-2017, 04:25 PM
Adam Goldenberg

Default Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillipabbott79 View Post
i am sorry. That is not the correct answer. We were looking or "who is nobody?".

Ridiculous time frames for a thousand alex.
lol
Old 03-18-2017, 05:18 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillipAbbott79 View Post
Sometimes there are extenuating circumstances that a seller should accommodate. Waiting 1, 2 3 or more years to send it away then asking for a refund is not one of the. Waiting and proving the time frame is out of your hands due to mailing or other factors is much more understandable.
I agree unless there was fraud involved which doesnt sound like the case here.

However even if it is unreasonable to ask for a refund for a 10 year transaction for example and just because you dont like the color anymore, IF the seller says he will refund it or make a trade of certain trade value, he is now on the hook if he does not come through. All the seller had to say was, 'its been 2 years buddy' no refunds.

Plus this nonsense:

"If the email had been less demanding I probably would have offered a refund, but I don't respond well to discourteousness"

And then there is a later email saying that was probably not the truth by the seller. So now there are two issues the buy can rely on as to why he should get a refund even it is a ridiculous amount of time.

Basically any party can agree to something more than is in a contract if they want but they dont have to in the first place. They shouldnt of offered it up.

Your rent is due in 30 days, but you get an email from the landlord saying he will agree to another 70 days to pay. Well, now you got 70 days. Need to be careful what you say actually, though we do live in an age of alternative facts. Hope you enjoy my net54 grammar.

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 03-18-2017 at 05:22 PM.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:55 AM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
I agree unless there was fraud involved which doesnt sound like the case here.

However even if it is unreasonable to ask for a refund for a 10 year transaction for example and just because you dont like the color anymore, IF the seller says he will refund it or make a trade of certain trade value, he is now on the hook if he does not come through. All the seller had to say was, 'its been 2 years buddy' no refunds.

Plus this nonsense:

"If the email had been less demanding I probably would have offered a refund, but I don't respond well to discourteousness"

And then there is a later email saying that was probably not the truth by the seller. So now there are two issues the buy can rely on as to why he should get a refund even it is a ridiculous amount of time.

Basically any party can agree to something more than is in a contract if they want but they dont have to in the first place. They shouldnt of offered it up.

Your rent is due in 30 days, but you get an email from the landlord saying he will agree to another 70 days to pay. Well, now you got 70 days. Need to be careful what you say actually, though we do live in an age of alternative facts. Hope you enjoy my net54 grammar.

Yeah, it has certainly been interesting to say the least.

I totally believe he knew exactly what he was doing selling me these cards and passing on the bad ones to others.

On my end, I typically don't send out cards to get graded. But, I've certainly will be sending them out after I receive them to avoid and potential issues. I admit I certainly could have been better in those regards.

But I whole heartedly am willing to bet this was all part of his plan. Trying to sell the Simmons a year prior for $2,500 then offers $1,250 (because he knows it's bad). Or his "Hornsby". That's a $5k+ card that he tried selling for around $1,500. The list goes on and on.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:15 AM
Peter Spaeth

I may have missed this, but on cards purchased in Dec. 2014, why wait until 2017 to submit them for authentication?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:17 AM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I may have missed this, but on cards purchased in Dec. 2014, why wait until 2017 to submit them for authentication?

Had no real dire need to send them in. I don't really like to mail out that many expensive cards and would rather do IP services. But after this, I'm certainly going to send stuff in right away to hopefully avoid any potential issues down the road.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:49 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Yes thats bad. However the guy said he would refund him or something like that.

You can owe a debt and the statute of limitations passes and then make another agreement to pay. The clock starts again. So the first clock started 3 years ago but the second clock started only for a week or so when the guy found out the seller wasnt going to come through

Shouldnt keep starting up clock