NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-28-2011, 04:44 AM
John

Default Who do you collect?

When I saw Sean's thread "show as many cards as you can in ONE photo", I immediately wondered why Hal Chase? So, this may be a recycled idea for a thread, but do you have a centerpiece player of special interest?
Who do you collect and why?
Old 10-28-2011, 05:28 AM
Keith

Default Arky Vaughan

I collect all things Arky Vaughan. I am about two-thirds of the way through putting together a master set of his cards. I like Arky because I think he is terribly underrated, even with Bill James' praise in his most recent Historical Baseball Abstract. In my opinion (I agree with James), he's the second-best shortstop all-time and I don't see that changing any time soon (sorry Derek Jeter). Also, contemporary accounts indicate that he was a quiet, understated, and dignified player, but a fierce competitor.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:06 AM

Default John B Miller

I collect Dots Miller stuff because we are from the same hometown, I'm a huge Pirates fan and six of my relatives are also related to him. I'm hoping to have a large display piece made sometime soon based on the Dots/town theme. Still want to get a couple more things before I start it
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 10-28-2011, 06:42 PM
Jeff

Default Early 20th Century Athletics mostly

Baker, Collins, Bender, Plank, Mack and to a lesser extent Waddell

.........and David Freese.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."

Last edited by HRBAKER; 10-28-2011 at 06:43 PM.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:45 PM
Phil Garry

Default Please delete post

Please delete post

Last edited by bcbgcbrcb; 10-29-2011 at 05:04 AM.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:48 PM
T0dd M@rcum

I don't collect anyone in particular, but have though about Bill Terry. Really great player that no one seems to collect.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:58 PM

The "Christian Gentleman"(Big Six) & Big Ed Walsh! I'm Related to to Big Ed, Still working on the exact genealogy of our relations.

Matty has just caught a hold of me, Very interested in his life!
Old 10-28-2011, 06:58 PM

All over the place and proud of it.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:24 PM
Josh Margolin

Hughie Jennings! Great SS, excellent manager, and a lawyer to boot.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:29 PM
Shaun Fyffe

Not pre-war, but here goes

Currently seeking Jackie Robinson cards
Old 10-28-2011, 07:50 PM

Default Frank 'Wildfire' Schulte

When I threw in the towel attempting the Monster (among various other sets,) I came to the realization I am not a set collector, but a player collector. The one card I kept was Schulte's front view variation. Not only do I find the card to be visually stunning, I believe he is one of the more underrated players from the Deadball Era.

Although not pre-WWII, I also have player collections of Ellis Burks (my primary collection) and Shawn Thornton (Boston Bruins.)
Old 10-28-2011, 07:55 PM
P.hil €lli$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Carota View Post
When I threw in the towel attempting the Monster (among various other sets,) I came to the realization I am not a set collector, but a player collector. The one card I kept was Schulte's front view variation. Not only do I find the card to be visually stunning, I believe he is one of the more underrated players from the Deadball Era.

Although not pre-WWII, I also have player collections of Ellis Burks (my primary collection) and Shawn Thornton (Boston Bruins.)
Shawn Thornton? That's Awesome. I'm a big B's fan. I wish he dropped them last night. He was trying to. That must be an interesting modern collection. Good luck and GO B's!
Old 10-29-2011, 12:25 AM
Ken McMillan

I collect Elmer Miller of the 1921/1922 New York Yankees. Currently have 20 cards mainly in the E120 and E121 type cards. All use the same picture. He was my great great uncle.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:18 AM
Sean M.

Shaun love your Jackie Robinson collection, very cool.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:19 AM

I pick up cards of Terry Turner that I don't have and when they are affordable since I have a cabinet card of him as a baby. An indication of how long I've been collecting him is I'm up to 4 e94 color variations.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:24 AM
Brad Green

Default Lefty Grove....

I collect Lefty Grove cards and memorabilia...... Please see my website at the link below.....
Old 10-29-2011, 12:08 PM
Scott Mt. Joy

Roberto Clemente has always been the heart of my collection
Old 10-29-2011, 09:47 PM
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irwin Fletcher View Post
I collect all things Arky Vaughan. I am about two-thirds of the way through putting together a master set of his cards. I like Arky because I think he is terribly underrated, even with Bill James' praise in his most recent Historical Baseball Abstract. In my opinion (I agree with James), he's the second-best shortstop all-time and I don't see that changing any time soon (sorry Derek Jeter). Also, contemporary accounts indicate that he was a quiet, understated, and dignified player, but a fierce competitor.
Hi Keith, do you have a link to your Vaughan Collection? I'd like to see it. I also collect any Arky Vaughan memorabilia I can get. I agree that he is underrated and should have been elected to the HOF much sooner IMHO. I actually don't have any Vaughan cards as i'm not a card collector(but would still like to see your collection) As you know, there isn't much memorabilia out there for him but I add whatever i can. regards, Brandon
Old 11-02-2011, 01:52 AM

Tris Speaker, Harry Hooper and Eddie Cicotte (as Red Sox).

Also Ted Williams, Sam Crawford and Rube Waddell.

OK, that's a lot moe than one!

Cheers,
Blair
Old 11-02-2011, 09:07 PM
Val Kehl

Pre-War: Walter Johnson, Sam Rice & Eppa Rixey.

Post-War: Pete Runnels & Mickey Vernon

Val
Old 11-02-2011, 11:15 PM
Larry

I collect all modern (post 1900) HOF'ers, with special emphasis on certain favorites: Mantle, Ruth, Foxx, Cobb, DiMaggio, Williams, etc. Currently, the favorites take priority over being a completionist in this regard.

Happy collecting,

Larry
Old 11-03-2011, 06:06 AM
Keith

Brandon - it's great to hear from another Arky collector! I don't think there are many of us out there. Here's a link to my SGC Arky master set:
http://www.sgccardregistry.com/set.a...9&userset=4652

I have a bunch of other Arky cards that I haven't had graded yet (some more Wheaties panels, a Dodgers photo pack card) and I will add them to the registry once they have been graded.

Do you have a link to your Vaughan memorabilia collection? I'd love to check it out.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:04 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Baseball: Lefty O'Doul. Frank "Lefty" O'Doul is the greatest eligible position player not in the Hall of Fame. Over 970 games (30 shy of the 1,000 used for official records) from 1919 to 1934, Lefty averaged .349, winning two batting championships and setting the NL record for most hits in a season, which still stands. Not in any way a "homer" like Chuck Klein (whose numbers were greatly aided by playing in a small park in Philly), Lefty hit .352 at home and .347 on the road, proving he belongs among the elite hitters in history. After his days in the majors ended, he returned to the Pacific Coast League, where he was the longtime manager of the San Francisco Seals and later the San Diego and Seattle teams. He had a restaurant in San Francisco and was a bon vivant and man about town. Lefty was instrumental in organizing Japanese baseball, whose premiere team, the Giants, was named in his honor. Lefty is one of only 3 Americans in the Japanese baseball hall of fame. There are a number of rather rare Japanese cards of him, one of which is shown on my site. He is also one of the few players to have played for the Yankees, Dodgers and Giants while all 3 were in New York City. Lefty died on December 7, 1969. His epitaph reads "He was here at a good time and had a good time while he was here." My tribute site to Lefty w/lots of his cards:

http://imageevent.com/exhibitman/frankleftyodoulcard

Boxing: Joe Louis. Joseph Louis Barrow (May 13, 1914 – April 12, 1981), better known as Joe Louis, was the world heavyweight boxing champion from 1937 to 1949. He is considered to be one of the greatest heavyweights of all time. Nicknamed the Brown Bomber, Louis helped elevate boxing from a nadir in popularity in the post-Jack Dempsey era by establishing a reputation as an honest, hardworking fighter at a time when the sport was dominated by gambling interests. Louis's championship reign lasted 140 consecutive months, during which he participated in 27 championship fights, 26 championship fights during his reign; the 27th, against Ezzard Charles, was a challenge to Charles' heavyweight title and so is not included in Louis' reign. All in all, Joe was victorious in 25 successful title defenses, a record for the heavyweight division. In 2005, Louis was named the greatest heavyweight of all time by the International Boxing Research Organization, and was ranked number one on The Ring's list of 100 Greatest Punchers of All Time. Louis's cultural impact was felt well outside the ring. He is widely regarded as the first African American to achieve the status of a nationwide hero within the United States, and was also a focal point of anti-Nazi sentiment leading up to and during World War II. He also was instrumental in integrating the game of golf, breaking the sport's color barrier in America by appearing under a sponsor's exemption in a PGA event in 1952.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 11-03-2011 at 10:09 AM.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:18 AM

Ken

I had Elmer Millers player release from the Yankees (only bought it because of the Jack Dunn autograph) and thought you might like to see it. This is the only photo I have though.

Rhys
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dunnjack2.jpg (74.9 KB, 216 views)
File Type: jpg dunnjack.jpg (72.1 KB, 217 views)
Old 11-03-2011, 01:00 PM
Alan U

For a long time I was collecting mostly Clemente, then added Ripken, but now I'm all over the place.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:28 PM
Andy H.

Default Post-war Cardinals for me :)

I collect post-war Cardinals: Ken Boyer, Stan Musial, Bob Gibson, Red Schoendienst, Lou Brock, and others. The only modern player I collect is Pujols.

My goal is to eventually have SGC-graded Topps Cardinal team sets from 52 to 80, but that will be something I will be working on for a long time.

I haven't jumped into pre-war yet - mostly because I'm scared that I will never jump back
Old 11-03-2011, 03:50 PM
Rhett Yeakley

I've always contemplated doing a player collection but I could never really decide which player I would go for. I do collect Roy Castleton items as he was the first member of my religion that played in the Major Leagues but he wasn't featured on a ton and am down to just (2) cards to have him finished off (D311 and a Western Playground).

I have always been partial to Ed Abbaticchio, Babe Adams, Jake Daubert, and Eddie Grant with Grant being the most likely of the bunch for me to take on as I have always kept my Grant cards when I do pick them up.

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 11-04-2011, 09:58 AM
Paul S

Billy Sullivan Jr and Sr., my grandfather and great grandfather, respectively

shown here with Joe, Billy Sr's other son

Last edited by pbspelly; 11-04-2011 at 10:03 AM.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:57 PM
Ken McMillan

Rhys,

That is a really cool document. Didn't know if you were aware but he is my Great great uncle. Where in the world did you find it? Thanks for posting.

Ken
Old 11-04-2011, 08:01 PM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irwin Fletcher View Post
Brandon - it's great to hear from another Arky collector! I don't think there are many of us out there. Here's a link to my SGC Arky master set:
http://www.sgccardregistry.com/set.a...9&userset=4652

I have a bunch of other Arky cards that I haven't had graded yet (some more Wheaties panels, a Dodgers photo pack card) and I will add them to the registry once they have been graded.

Do you have a link to your Vaughan memorabilia collection? I'd love to check it out.

Just picked up a pair of early 40's Brooklyn Dodger team signed balls strictly because Vaughn was on them. Being a Pirate fan I would love to get hold of a Pirates ball with him...but would be too tempted to keep it.

Tom C
Old 11-10-2011, 08:17 PM
David Bowden

Default Tris Speaker

My collecting focus is almost entirely on 1920's Tris Speaker cards. As to the reason why, I do not know. It just happened.

Old 11-11-2011, 03:44 AM
Doug Goodman

I don't collect cards of a specific player, but I am collecting scored scorecards / programs from games that Sandy Koufax pitched in. I have 79 regular season and 4 WS games, so far.

Also, 1961 Maris HR games, I have 16 different games covering 19 HRs.

Doug